logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Linus Solanki  
#1 Posted : 30 September 2022 11:09:58(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1013 time(s) in 643 post(s)
https://pitchfork.com/news/36573...album-new-order-breakup/

https://www.clashmusic.com/news/...-sumner-electro-project/

I was reading an old article where Bernard sumner was talking about an album he was making with Stuart Price

Pitchfork: Listening to the Bad Lieutenant album, I was surprised by how it's such a straightforward guitar-rock record. Since a lot of artists like Hot Chip and LCD Soundsystem are running with the synth-based formula you built with New Order, it's funny that you're going the other direction now.

Bernard Sumner: Well, when I was making the Bad Lieutenant album I was also making a synthesizer album with Stuart Price-- also known as Jacques Lu Cont-- who produced the last Killers album, and Madonna's last-but-one album. But doing both at the same time was a bit much for me. As soon as I'm free, I'm going to finish the album with Stuart.

https://windycitytimes.com/m/APP...;i=3&s=Entertainment

WCT: You are working on a dance record with Stuart Price, who produced Madonna's album.

Bernard Sumner: It is in the pipeline. I was trying to make two albums at the same time, which was pretty stupid of me. Stuart produced Madonna [ and ] The Killers, and he also did a remix on our last album for "Jetstream." We get along very well and I want to get this done but it is just insane. These days you have to make so many tracks when you are making an album. In Joy Division days we put four songs on one side of the vinyl and four on the other. If you put any more then it would destroy the sound. These days they want 17 or 18 songs. Everyone wants extra tracks, iTunes, Japanese and a limited bonus edition. It is like writing a double album now.

Edited by user 30 September 2022 12:00:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 3 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 30/09/2022(UTC), Col72 on 30/09/2022(UTC), prog99 on 01/10/2022(UTC)
Sponsor
Debaser  
#2 Posted : 30 September 2022 12:32:02(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3010 time(s) in 2075 post(s)
Yes I mentioned this recently at the bottom of my reply #501 here (Mojo magazine).

I wish in retrospect that we had asked about the progress of this thing when the guy from Tsugi magazine asked us if we had any questions for New Order.
We did get quite a few questions asked and answered, but at the time I had forgotten that Bernard had even started a record with Stuart. Although of course we were aware that Stuart had re-worked the live version of 586 circa The Troxy gig (as well as the I Told You So remix which he did with Bernard I think).

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 30/09/2022(UTC)
GotBlueEyes  
#3 Posted : 01 October 2022 05:35:11(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Was thanked: 556 time(s) in 312 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Linus Solanki Go to Quoted Post

https://windycitytimes.com/m/APP...;i=3&s=Entertainment

WCT: You are working on a dance record with Stuart Price, who produced Madonna's album.

Bernard Sumner: It is in the pipeline. I was trying to make two albums at the same time, which was pretty stupid of me. Stuart produced Madonna [ and ] The Killers, and he also did a remix on our last album for "Jetstream." We get along very well and I want to get this done but it is just insane. These days you have to make so many tracks when you are making an album. In Joy Division days we put four songs on one side of the vinyl and four on the other. If you put any more then it would destroy the sound. These days they want 17 or 18 songs. Everyone wants extra tracks, iTunes, Japanese and a limited bonus edition. It is like writing a double album now.

A slightly different quote from spinner.com at the same time he says much the same, but confirms the plan was scrapped

Quote:
I believe you can do anything with enough enthusiasm," Sumner says. "To make a good record, you have to put 100 percent in. And now, you have to make about 16 to 18 songs. In the old days, when I was in Joy Division or New Order, if you did that, it would be a double album."

"To do that with Stuart, that would be impossible," Sumner says. "I couldn't make two albums at one time. There's nothing in the pipeline at the moment.

https://web.archive.org/...m-stuart-price-scrapped/

thanks 1 user thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/10/2022(UTC)
Andy  
#4 Posted : 01 October 2022 15:46:18(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3072 time(s) in 2144 post(s)
Some of those ideas probably evolved into Music Complete tracks. Plastic seems like an obvious one.
thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/10/2022(UTC), Rorschach on 02/10/2022(UTC)