logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Subvulture  
#1 Posted : 19 January 2022 09:37:21(UTC)
Subvulture

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 9 post(s)
https://www.nme.com/news...day-inspired-mix-3140734

2ManyDJs tease Wet Leg remix and share New Order ‘Blue Monday’ inspired mix

"It's from 1983 and it still sounds like it's from the future"

2ManyDJs and Soulwax’s David Dewaele has opened up about a number of new remixes with Lauren Laverne on BBC Radio 6 Music yesterday (January 17).

“There’s a few coming up,” he told Laverne. “One is Wet Leg, which is quite exciting.”

After this, he went on to share a new, 20-minute remix of New Order’s ‘Blue Monday’ for the show’s Desert Island Disco slot.

Speaking about how the song came about, Dewaele said: “We…found all these versions and cover versions and people playing the song ‘Blue Monday’ by New Order. Many years ago, we’d also been sent the multi-track which is the separate elements of that track.”

He added: “Given how seminal that song is, not just for us, but for millions of people, but for us especially…the first gig my brother and I played together…was in 1997. And the first record we put on was ‘Blue Monday’. And as a DJ, you constantly change the records that you play and yet I think there is only a handful of gigs where we didn’t either fully play or tease or didn’t play a little bit of ‘Blue Monday.’

“It’s such a seminal track for us, it’s in our musical DNA. A lot of people I guess tend to know us maybe for bringing the energy of rock or guitar music together with dance music and ‘Blue Monday’ – no one did it better than that particular song. It’s from 1983 and it still sounds like it’s from the future.

What we did, we tried to make a 20 minute version of ‘Blue Monday’…We took the multi track, the 1983 original, the B side…and then various live performances and demos and cut them up with bits of interview to make a 20 minute version of the song.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTW-9gzbvCQ

thanks 3 users thanked Subvulture for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/01/2022(UTC), Like No Other on 19/01/2022(UTC), Rorschach on 20/01/2022(UTC)
Sponsor
Rorschach  
#2 Posted : 20 January 2022 03:44:35(UTC)
Rorschach

Was thanked: 369 time(s) in 258 post(s)
Many excellent bits in that remix but I can't be doing with weaving the interviews in - even if Bernard's "bank robbers" gag still makes me grin.

Edited by user 20 January 2022 03:47:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Rorschach for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/01/2022(UTC)
Debaser  
#3 Posted : 20 January 2022 05:33:33(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3016 time(s) in 2077 post(s)
^ Presumably you both saw discussion on this in the NO Spotting thread on (blue) Monday?

The Dewaele boys' dad was a a Belgian radio DJ back in the 80s, I believe. So they had access to a huge amount of records from that era whilst growing up. Perhaps it's no surpsise that they included The Beach in their As Heard On Radio Soulwax pt2 mix album, where they mixed it playfully with Detroit Grand Pubahs' Sandwiches.

I saw them DJ-ing live at a festival once - they were doing the AV show where they have all the record sleeves animated for each track, and they mixed the tunes/videos using DVDs (rather than CDs or records). They used the BM foootage that I posted in the NO Spotttng thread on Monday. Just the first couple of minutes and then they mixed it out before the vox come in.

Where am I going with this post? Well although BM has appeared in their DJ sets for a long time, I've never heard Soulwax/2ManyDJs do a remix/re-edit of it before. I think if you cut down that 20 minute version to 7 or 8 minutes, there's enough there to suggest Soulwax could do a really good "proper" remix of BM. Something that I think many people have struggled to achieve (aside from Hardfloor - who realised that if you just add "acid" you can't go too far wrong).

So the next time there's a compilation or a BM reissue or a rare RSD release, we could do worse than a Soulwax remix of BM.

thanks 3 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Like No Other on 20/01/2022(UTC), negative1 on 20/01/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/01/2022(UTC)
Subvulture  
#4 Posted : 20 January 2022 09:42:30(UTC)
Subvulture

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
^ Presumably you both saw discussion on this in the NO Spotting thread on (blue) Monday?

Oops--somehow, I missed that! Eek

thanks 1 user thanked Subvulture for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/01/2022(UTC)