logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andy  
#1 Posted : 29 October 2021 01:04:15(UTC)
Andy

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3069 time(s) in 2142 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/11/2021(UTC)
Sponsor
Michael Monkhouse  
#2 Posted : 29 October 2021 03:40:40(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Probably just drumming up interest for the gigs.
He thinks everyone was their bitter rival. 'Paul McCartney? Accused him of ripping off Dead Souls with The Lovely Linda. Then some cunt said Macca was before Revenge. Still, Freebass outlasted Paul by thirty seven centuries, so he can fuck off out of it.'
I actually had BowWowWow's I Wank Candy on one-sided vinyl when I was about ten. I preferred Melanie C's cover and its video is a wank bank regular. So no one leaves empty handed.
I was never one of the Dracula's Asshole haters. Not their best, but the synth is reminiscent of Technique, the bass is high up there after the wank of Rep and Rest Of, and I even like the lyrics, which in classic Barnster styleee are both meaningless and meaningful. I was under a lot of stress at the time and O kinda identified with the tense, terse atmos.

Edited by user 29 October 2021 03:58:07(UTC)  | Reason: Holler

thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Andy  
#3 Posted : 29 October 2021 10:18:23(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3069 time(s) in 2142 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
Probably just drumming up interest for the gigs.
He thinks everyone was their bitter rival. 'Paul McCartney? Accused him of ripping off Dead Souls with The Lovely Linda. Then some cunt said Macca was before Revenge. Still, Freebass outlasted Paul by thirty seven centuries, so he can fuck off out of it.'
I actually had BowWowWow's I Wank Candy on one-sided vinyl when I was about ten. I preferred Melanie C's cover and its video is a wank bank regular. So no one leaves empty handed.
I was never one of the Dracula's Asshole haters. Not their best, but the synth is reminiscent of Technique, the bass is high up there after the wank of Rep and Rest Of, and I even like the lyrics, which in classic Barnster styleee are both meaningless and meaningful. I was under a lot of stress at the time and O kinda identified with the tense, terse atmos.

I also like Dracula's Castle, but more for the music, which I agree is Technique-worthy. Bernard had already mentioned Drac in Electronic's King for a Day. He clearly was running on empty regarding lyrics due to the sheer volume of Sirens' tracks he was dealing with.

thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
Rorschach on 30/10/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/11/2021(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#4 Posted : 29 October 2021 23:46:21(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Fucking Hell, someone agrees with me. That's twice in three years.
Yes, Sirens and Baby Lieutenant saw Bernard more active than usual. Quality over quantity though. I remember him saying it was rare to write so much cos usually they'd just record enough for an album nd then fuck off down the pub for the rest of the day. I actually loled at Paul lester's reference to 'gruelling 24-hour sessions' for Low life, when it produced a grand total of eight songs, and half of them were shit.
perspexorange  
#5 Posted : 30 October 2021 00:47:08(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3447 time(s) in 2250 post(s)
Fucking Hell, someone agrees with me. That's twice in three years.

Make me another person who agrees with you. I’ve never understood the hate for ‘Dracula’s Castle’ and, when I first heard the LP, thought it was the stand out track. It’s certainly amongst my favourites on the LP, along with Waiting For The Sirens’ Call, Guilt Is A Useless Emotion and Turn. I suspect a fair amount of the ire comes from the (admittedly terrible) name.

I actually loled at Paul lester's reference to 'gruelling 24-hour sessions' for Low life, when it produced a grand total of eight songs, and half of them were shit.

Owwww. And you doing were so well, too. Big Grin

We’ll definitely differ in opinion here. LowLife is wonderful from beginning to end.
know you’ve said before that side two isn’t great, but I think it has two bona fide New Order classics in Sub-Culture and the sublime Elegia. Sooner Than You Think is a little throwaway, but still fun. And Face Up is bonkers, but quite a nice way to finish an LP.

Side One is obviously just class. Full stop.
Not wanting to put words in your mouth, perhaps that’s what the issue is for you; anything following that tremendous side of vinyl feels like a down-grade?

Edited by user 30 October 2021 00:54:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Rorschach on 30/10/2021(UTC), Andy on 30/10/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/11/2021(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#6 Posted : 30 October 2021 01:11:07(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

You won't believe this, but when I first read that I thought you said, Don't wanna put things in your mouth, that's what the tissue is for.
Yeah, the first side of Low Life slays, but four songs is the least they could Get Away With. Side two is boring, throwaway, about spunk and then a fucking mess. I remember a review of Revenge that was negative (not necessary to add that): 'Every New Order album has that moment that slides along with all the grace of a three-wheeled trolley: Technique had Guilty Partner, Low Life had the second side.
Turn is easily the best track on Sirens'. A lost single in both senses.
Debaser  
#7 Posted : 30 October 2021 06:47:20(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3000 time(s) in 2072 post(s)
Every single song on Low Life pisses all over Dracula's Castle. As does Guilty Partner (all FOUR wheels of it).

Listening to Bela Lugosi's Dead on that Hooky list, as well as The Him, there's something about the drums that reminds me of another more recent track (so really it should be the other way around).

And the Sabres' Haunted Dancehall album could be a Halloween playlist all by itself, I reckon.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#8 Posted : 30 October 2021 06:50:10(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Man, I LOVED Bauhaus, especially what they did to Ziggy Stardust. Yummy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWCQBtRzNJQ
Michael Monkhouse  
#9 Posted : 30 October 2021 06:53:47(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

There was Terror Copper too ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sCTxS_B6h4 . What a band. Shite like JD don't cum close.

Edited by user 30 October 2021 06:54:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jul  
#10 Posted : 31 October 2021 04:21:18(UTC)
Jul

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 176 post(s)
Hehe brings back memories Smile
I was in a band called Hausbaus when I was 13 because they were the only band all of us liked. We had a single song that was supposed to resemble Bauhaus, Sisters and U2 at once (we didn't dare touch Joy Division). We had a gran's grand piano none of us could play and a broken acoustic guitar none of us could play. We were truly horrible.
thanks 1 user thanked Jul for this useful post.