logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
50poundnote  
#1 Posted : 31 May 2021 21:12:01(UTC)
50poundnote

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 935 time(s) in 517 post(s)
Since there's so few people on the forum these days, I'm going to post this in the main discussion group.

Over the weekend, a friend tipped me to Working Men's Club. I'm hooked! I went on Bandcamp yesterday and bought their entire discography.

Hard to believe Syd is only about 20 years old! Although they're mining the past for sounds (and Manchester specifically), hearing Valleys and John Cooper Clarke and X gives me the same rush I heard when I first heard New Order.

It's easy to spot some references: Movement-era New Order, Killing Joke, LCD Soundsystem, The Fall, acid house, etc., but I feel they're creating something fresh.

Really envious of those of you who'll get to see them open for New Order at the big Manchester homecoming gig in September. I can't wait for them to tour Stateside!

Edited by user 31 May 2021 21:12:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
Rorschach on 01/06/2021(UTC), Andy on 02/06/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 16/06/2021(UTC)
Sponsor
LostSiren  
#2 Posted : 01 June 2021 07:06:02(UTC)
LostSiren

Was thanked: 218 time(s) in 176 post(s)
Yes! They're really interesting - the tune X popped up on my new music mix on Apple a couple of weeks back and immediately caught my attention.;The self-titled album just before it is really good (tho that 'cook a coffee' is a total clunker to me). I agree too Valley and John Cooper Clarke are standouts, and make me excitred to see what they do next.
thanks 1 user thanked LostSiren for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/06/2021(UTC)
Andy  
#3 Posted : 02 June 2021 00:44:05(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3074 time(s) in 2145 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 50poundnote Go to Quoted Post
Since there's so few people on the forum these days, I'm going to post this in the main discussion group.

Over the weekend, a friend tipped me to Working Men's Club. I'm hooked! I went on Bandcamp yesterday and bought their entire discography.

Hard to believe Syd is only about 20 years old! Although they're mining the past for sounds (and Manchester specifically), hearing Valleys and John Cooper Clarke and X gives me the same rush I heard when I first heard New Order.

It's easy to spot some references: Movement-era New Order, Killing Joke, LCD Soundsystem, The Fall, acid house, etc., but I feel they're creating something fresh.

Really envious of those of you who'll get to see them open for New Order at the big Manchester homecoming gig in September. I can't wait for them to tour Stateside!

I also would have preferred Working Men's Club added to The Unity Tour than Paul Oakenfold.

The John Cooper Clarke video is great. The wedding bit's are somewhat cringe-worthy but the clips of people at the clubs are lovely. Those '80's era ones take me back...

On a side note: Syd looks like a mix of two-thirds Tim Burgess and one-third Ian Curtis.

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
The Shadow  
#4 Posted : 05 June 2021 11:13:03(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)

Big fan myself. I went to see the Oriellles over a year ago and they were the support, not heard of them before then. One of those great moments where the support blows away the main act. Followed them since and really happy they are supporting new order in Manchester later this year, if it goes ahead, that’s going to be a wonderful event
thanks 2 users thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
Andy on 06/06/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 16/06/2021(UTC)
Fotz  
#5 Posted : 05 June 2021 13:41:17(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3620 time(s) in 2619 post(s)
Looked up the John Cooper Clarke track and video. Really liked it and the video kind of captured life today in Johnson’s grim UK- the leftfield party rave scene ,though through early 90s rave footage, versus the desperate conservative stiff wedding party. Still not convinced about Working Men’s Club though- watched their performance of Valleys on Jools Holland’s show and it’s just another poor rip off of New Order that the likes of the dreadful Delphic ( remember them?) tried and failed miserably to do some years ago. Where are Delphic now? Exactly. I feel the same fate, despite their earnest efforts, awaits Working Men’s Club.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Andy on 06/06/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 16/06/2021(UTC)
Andy  
#6 Posted : 06 June 2021 08:50:53(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3074 time(s) in 2145 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
Looked up the John Cooper Clarke track and video. Really liked it and the video kind of captured life today in Johnson’s grim UK- the leftfield party rave scene ,though through early 90s rave footage, versus the desperate conservative stiff wedding party. Still not convinced about Working Men’s Club though- watched their performance of Valleys on Jools Holland’s show and it’s just another poor rip off of New Order that the likes of the dreadful Delphic ( remember them?) tried and failed miserably to do some years ago. Where are Delphic now? Exactly. I feel the same fate, despite their earnest efforts, awaits Working Men’s Club.

Their CD arrived a couple of days ago and it's solid (although there's not enough going on in the lengthy closing track Angel to justify it's 12 minute running time). Even the aforementioned Cook a Coffee isn't as goofy in it's recorded form; Sort of Fall-lite. John Cooper Clarke is definitely my current favourite though. Loving the guitar bits. I really hope they/he builds on this and keeps the momentum going for the next album. I actually really liked Delphic's debut but their second album was a disaster. They did put out a free to download 3rd album which was much better, if you're into that sort of thing (unlike Fotz).

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
lee  
#7 Posted : 06 June 2021 09:56:23(UTC)
lee

Was thanked: 295 time(s) in 200 post(s)
A mate of mine put me onto these a while back..he went to watch them when they was a guitar band

I always think i'm going to like the songs but i really can't get on with the vocals...which is surprising as vocals aren't important to me but his voice just grates on me
thanks 1 user thanked lee for this useful post.
The Shadow  
#8 Posted : 06 June 2021 12:22:20(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
They are very good live so even if you are not too sure on record still check them out live if you get the chance, they create a real energy
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
pure_shaw  
#9 Posted : 06 June 2021 12:33:51(UTC)
pure_shaw

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)

!

they're really quite good.
from my neck of the woods, up Todmorden way.

more looking forward to seeing them at heaton park than hot chip

they were on telly last week, on a sky arts programme "the live revival" about the resurrection of the live music scene.

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/...c-4253-bc68-e4f29980cbf4

well worth a watch
thanks 1 user thanked pure_shaw for this useful post.