logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
negative1  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2021 23:30:30(UTC)
negative1

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
I have the UK CD 'metallic' cover,

https://www.discogs.com/...otherhood/release/168755

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

does anyone have the LP, with the same texture.
it's getting hard to find and expensive.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

later

Edited by user 29 January 2021 14:45:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 11/02/2021(UTC)
Sponsor
perspexorange  
#2 Posted : 29 January 2021 05:41:52(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
I don't have either the metallic CD or the metallic vinyl which, I suppose, doesn't help.

I have a Factory CD, but it has the standard cover. I now want to go and try and snag a metallic version. That's your fault! :-D

At the time I got into the band (1987ish), the only CD version I ever found was the non-metallic one and didn't know that a different cover existed at the time.
I did know about the 'car carry case' versions of the LPs (read about them in Record Collector, I think), but never got hold of one of those.

Again, I think by 1987-1988, all of those variants were long sold out.

(I still really want those 'car carry cases'. If anyone has one for any of the LPs, JD or NO, that they want to sell, please drop me a line.)

On a similar note, and not wishing to derail the thread too much, I always loved those linen boxes that Factory issued their cassettes in. I have all but one of the New Order ones (missing PC&L), but none of the Joy Division ones.

Factory Records products were an absolute joy. Hunting them down, owning them, cherishing them. Wonderful!
For instance, those colour variants of Procession. Love that sleeve (hence my avatar).

Another of the reasons I bloody love this band.

thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
negative1 on 29/01/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 11/02/2021(UTC)
50poundnote  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2021 08:21:50(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 889 time(s) in 503 post(s)
I have all the CD car carry cases and the linen cassette boxes. Cool

The car carry cases came with the first edition of the Factory CDs, released in 1986. The physical discs are suffering from disc rot.

I managed to grab the last JD/NO cassette box I needed from Discogs last summer.

I don't have the metallic Brotherhood LP, just the CD. I think it was only the first run that used the foil, and they have not held up well over the years. I hope the Brotherhood box will reproduce it.
thanks 2 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2021 08:46:18(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: 50poundnote Go to Quoted Post
I have all the CD car carry cases and the linen cassette boxes. Cool

I'm not jealous. Honest. <sniff, sniff> :-(

One day, maybe, I'll get them.

negative1  
#5 Posted : 29 January 2021 10:26:27(UTC)
negative1

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
I don't have either the metallic CD or the metallic vinyl which, I suppose, doesn't help.

I have a Factory CD, but it has the standard cover. I now want to go and try and snag a metallic version. That's your fault! :-D

At the time I got into the band (1987ish), the only CD version I ever found was the non-metallic one and didn't know that a different cover existed at the time.
I did know about the 'car carry case' versions of the LPs (read about them in Record Collector, I think), but never got hold of one of those.

Again, I think by 1987-1988, all of those variants were long sold out.

(I still really want those 'car carry cases'. If anyone has one for any of the LPs, JD or NO, that they want to sell, please drop me a line.)

On a similar note, and not wishing to derail the thread too much, I always loved those linen boxes that Factory issued their cassettes in. I have all but one of the New Order ones (missing PC&L), but none of the Joy Division ones.

Factory Records products were an absolute joy. Hunting them down, owning them, cherishing them. Wonderful!
For instance, those colour variants of Procession. Love that sleeve (hence my avatar).

Another of the reasons I bloody love this band.

luckily for you, there's about 6 copies for sale in europe, at varying prices that don't seem to high for the metallic cd cover.

the car carrying cases, are just thin little card sleeves like they use now. they look good, but are very flimsy.

the cassette boxes are awesome, but most have aged, and are stained now, you can still find them out there, and on ebay.

i have 4/5 of the new order ones, getting a replacement for 'substance' although i have one.

good luck hunting them down, they are out there.

later
The Shadow  
#6 Posted : 29 January 2021 10:36:21(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
I’ve got the vinyl metallic cover, not for sale though. Not in great condition, well used copy. I only have the original versions of brotherhood and lowlife so vinyl has a few pops and clicks on it, therefore looking forward to the box sets of these two. Already had the recent ish clear vinyl of movement and the silver vinyl from the Manchester true faith exhibition of pc&l so good sounding vinyl for those 2 albums. From substance onwards my vinyl albums all in great condition, so really looking forward to the next 2 box sets.

I’ve got to say the PC&L box set vinyl sounds excellent to my ears, an improvement on the previous 2015 remaster
thanks 2 users thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#7 Posted : 29 January 2021 12:08:43(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: negative1 Go to Quoted Post

luckily for you, there's about 6 copies for sale in europe, at varying prices that don't seem to high for the metallic cd cover.

Hmmm, I may give it a look. Tempting.

Do we know if any of the metallic sleeves came with car carry cases, or were these separate issues, i.e. a release that had metallic covers and a release that had a car carry case.

Originally Posted by: negative1 Go to Quoted Post

the cassette boxes are awesome, but most have aged, and are stained now, you can still find them out there, and on ebay.

i have 4/5 of the new order ones, getting a replacement for 'substance' although i have one.

good luck hunting them down, they are out there.

later

I bought all of my four in about 1990.
They're currently at my mum's (never brought them with me when I left home 25 years ago).

If I remember correctly, two of them are in pretty much mint condition ('Movement' and 'Brotherhood', I think). These were newly purchased at the time (from WH Smith's / Woolworth's), so there were still a few unsold in the shops as late as 1990.

My Low Life one is obviously 'used' (slightly 'greying'). However, it's still what I would call VG+. Far better than the vast majority you see on eBay etc. these days.

My 'Substance' is the worst of the bunch, I think, but it's far from tatty. I think there may be a small 'dink' on the case and the foldout insert is just a bit 'floppy' at the folds. Apart from that, it's pretty good. I think most fans would be happy with it.

I'm not sure where I got the latter two from. Possibly 'Esprit International' mail order (anyone remember them?).

Beautiful items, all of them.

I used to think that New Order fans drew the short straw with having the worst colour case (white) for showing dirt and blemishes.
However, looking at most of the JD ones I see online, these look mostly dreadful with colour fading quite badly. So, maybe white wasn't that bad.

Also, it should be noted that the white cases, when pristine, look absolutely stunning.
Fitting for the stature of the band.

I wonder, in respect of the wonderful Definitive Editions we've been treated to recently, whether there was a 'nod' to the design of the linen cassette boxes.
They definitely have the same sort of 'wow' factor.

perspexorange  
#8 Posted : 29 January 2021 12:11:36(UTC)
perspexorange

As regards the missing PC&L box from my collection, it's really difficult getting one in decent nick. Also, it had two inserts, I think. A standard inlay and a replica postcard of the Fantin-Latour Roses.
I've seen the box for sale a few times minus the postcard.
50poundnote  
#9 Posted : 29 January 2021 12:53:12(UTC)
50poundnote

Do we know if any of the metallic sleeves came with car carry cases, or were these separate issues, i.e. a release that had metallic covers and a release that had a car carry case.

The 1986 Factory CD has a metallic insert in the jewel case, and the car carry case is non-metallic version. Just like the 7" sleeves for State Of The Nation and Bizarre Love Triangle are a 1:1 scale section from the 12" sleeves, the car carry case is a 1:1 scale section from the standard sleeve.
thanks 2 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#10 Posted : 29 January 2021 12:57:10(UTC)
perspexorange

The 1986 Factory CD has a metallic insert in the jewel case, and the car carry case is non-metallic version. Just like the 7" sleeves for State Of The Nation and Bizarre Love Triangle are a 1:1 scale section from the 12" sleeves, the car carry case is a 1:1 scale section from the standard sleeve.

Ah, great. Thanks 50poundnote. I knew you'd know.
50poundnote  
#11 Posted : 29 January 2021 12:59:12(UTC)
50poundnote

the car carry case is a 1:1 scale section from the standard sleeve.

For clarity, it's the upper left 5 inches or so of the front and back of the standard LP image.
thanks 3 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
perspexorange on 29/01/2021(UTC), negative1 on 29/01/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 11/02/2021(UTC)
negative1  
#12 Posted : 29 January 2021 14:50:26(UTC)
negative1

the car carry case is a 1:1 scale section from the standard sleeve.

For clarity, it's the upper left 5 inches or so of the front and back of the standard LP image.

thanks for the comments and notes.

i have the power corruption and lies Car carrying CD cover also, and will post scans of both
at some point.

i have changed the thread to reflect discussing both here.

also, will make a new thread about the cassette boxes, as there is more to say about both of those.

later
perspexorange  
#13 Posted : 30 January 2021 01:26:48(UTC)
perspexorange

Will appreciate the scans.

If I remember correctly, the PC&L one is very nice and includes the code wheel (or at least a part of it).
negative1 on 30/01/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 11/02/2021(UTC)
Fotz  
#14 Posted : 30 January 2021 02:07:09(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
As regards the missing PC&L box from my collection, it's really difficult getting one in decent nick. Also, it had two inserts, I think. A standard inlay and a replica postcard of the Fantin-Latour Roses.
I've seen the box for sale a few times minus the postcard.

I bought the PC&L white linen cassette box sometime in the late 80s but only when i got home did i find to my disappointment it was missing the Basket Of Roses postcard.It only had the black card with silver font with all the track list and Fac 75 number etc.Like a postcard version of the centre label on the vinyl.I though it was a mistake that the postcard was missing and took the box back to the shop.The guy checked the stock and all the other boxes were without the Roses postcard so i just accepted it as maybe there was an error in production or a Factory fuck up.Years later in the early 2000s i was at the National Gallery and spotted the Basket Of Roses postcard in the shop so bought it and added it to the PC&L box.The box is very very, very discoloured now.I also have the Substance one and the Low Life one which is my favourite but they're both also discoloured and dirty.I'm sure i had the Brotherhood one at tone time but can't find it these days.I never bothered obtaining the JD or other Factory ones.

Never got hold of the metallic Brotherhood CD or vinyl but always thought it'd be a cool thing to own.

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
negative1 on 30/01/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 11/02/2021(UTC)
negative1  
#15 Posted : 30 January 2021 03:04:04(UTC)
negative1

started a new thread for all the cassette conversations, may want to look in there.

here's my metallic sleeve and PCL covers:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

later