logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

23 Pages«<1516171819>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fotz  
#401 Posted : 27 January 2023 08:47:02(UTC)
Fotz

Rank: Dead Soul

Groups: Registered
Joined: 02/08/2014(UTC)
Posts: 2,616
Location: Down on the farm

Thanks: 634 times
Was thanked: 3615 time(s) in 2616 post(s)
Just finished listening to the extras CD.That part of the box was my first priority to check out.

Thoughts on some of the tracks:

Untitled No.1 writing session recording
As i said earlier, interesting to hear.Some lovely sounds on this but i can't place anything that eventually made it to a released song, not even BLT.

Sunrise instrumental rough mix
This is the version that was released on that magazine cassette thing circa 1986, yes?

Sooner Than You Think album session unedited version
Interesting to hear the parts that were cut out for the eventual album version.Great to hear but you can kind of understand why they were cut out of the final edit, they would have made the song a little meandering and unnecessarily overlong.Still, really nice to hear some of the extra guitar and synth passages.

Sub Culture album session early instrumental version
Pretty cool mix, this.And no Hooky i think? Just purely synths and beats.

Face Up writing session recording
This reminds me a lot of the live version at Royal Festival Hall, 14.05.84 , that early outing.Liking the synths and sounds on this.

Untitled No.2 writing session recording
Right, this is one that i was very curious to hear.

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

Re: Untitled 2 (writing session). The arpeggio-ish keyboard melody from 0:00 to 0:29 (and 1:27 to 1:56, and 2:53 to 3:21 etc) reminds me of something, but I cant think what. Possibly not New Order.
Liking the funky synth bass line, and Hooky really gets into it as the track goes on. It doesn't seem to be an obvous precursor to a better known NO track. That's a shame because it feels like it could have gone to be something worthwhile. But great that it has been unearthed. Perhaps not for the first time?


3 months ago when the tracklist was released i posted:
Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
All very intriguing. Wondering if one of the untitled ones is that 9 minute instrumental that was or still is available on YouTube. Think there was a Sept 1984 recording date associated with it. It had some qiite melodic passages and also the car skidding noise that they use on live versions of TPK.Hope so.


This is it.Well, it is and it isn't .It has many of the same elements and melodies as that Sept 84 thing but it's a different , clearer, recording and with some things added and some taken away.Sadly the car skidding noises are not present in this version.But it's essentially the same track.There are some fantastic ideas and melodies in both the version on this extras CD and the other, Sept 84, version that i shared through MediaFire with you i think, Debaser? This in another life could have developed into a New Order classic.It's possibly my favourite on the extras CD.

Sunrise writing session recording
Starts with some fierce Hooky bass.Bernard's first guitar parts on this sound even more like his raw and angular Joy Division guitar than the eventual album version.The synths have a more primitive sound than the finished album version.

Let's Go album session instrumental
I have to admit, i've got a bit lost on the various different versions of Let's Go over the years.Has this version already been out there for many years? Still, sounds great.

Love Vigilantes writing session recording
It's ok and is that a drum machine on this version?

Sooner Than You Think writing session recording
Now this version reminds me a lot of the 'Aleph' live version they were playing in 1984 and in particular the version they did at Volkshaus, Zurich 02.04.84, the drum beat is identical.Listen to the bootleg, it's almost the same except the live version had early attempts by Barney at lyrics, this doesn't have any.


So, through these early and writing session recordings for Low Life it becomes clear yet again with that unique special chemistry, creativity, originality and single mindedness why New Order became one of the biggest, loved around the world bands of the 80s and beyond Smile














thanks 5 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/01/2023(UTC), Debaser on 27/01/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 27/01/2023(UTC), negative1 on 27/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
perspexorange  
#402 Posted : 27 January 2023 08:48:28(UTC)
perspexorange

Rank: Dead Soul

Groups: Registered
Joined: 20/10/2013(UTC)
Posts: 2,250
Location: Salop

Thanks: 451 times
Was thanked: 3447 time(s) in 2250 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AdamTate Go to Quoted Post




UserPostedImage





Four of the finest things to bear the New Order name.
thanks 5 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
AdamTate on 27/01/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 27/01/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 27/01/2023(UTC), negative1 on 27/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
GotBlueEyes  
#403 Posted : 27 January 2023 08:51:24(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Rank: Member of the Brotherhood

Groups: Registered
Joined: 25/09/2015(UTC)
Posts: 313

Thanks: 137 times
Was thanked: 554 time(s) in 312 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
Just finished listening to the extras CD.That part of the box was my first priority to check out.

Thoughts on some of the tracks:

Untitled No.1 writing session recording
As i said earlier, interesting to hear.Some lovely sounds on this but i can't place anything that eventually made it to a released song, not even BLT.

Sunrise instrumental rough mix
This is the version that was released on that magazine cassette thing circa 1986, yes?

Sooner Than You Think album session unedited version
Interesting to hear the parts that were cut out for the eventual album version.Great to hear but you can kind of understand why they were cut out of the final edit, they would have made the song a little meandering and unnecessarily overlong.Still, really nice to hear some of the extra guitar and synth passages.

Sub Culture album session early instrumental version
Pretty cool mix, this.And no Hooky i think? Just purely synths and beats.

Face Up writing session recording
This reminds me a lot of the live version at Royal Festival Hall, 14.05.84 , that early outing.Liking the synths and sounds on this.

Untitled No.2 writing session recording
Right, this is one that i was very curious to hear.

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

Re: Untitled 2 (writing session). The arpeggio-ish keyboard melody from 0:00 to 0:29 (and 1:27 to 1:56, and 2:53 to 3:21 etc) reminds me of something, but I cant think what. Possibly not New Order.
Liking the funky synth bass line, and Hooky really gets into it as the track goes on. It doesn't seem to be an obvous precursor to a better known NO track. That's a shame because it feels like it could have gone to be something worthwhile. But great that it has been unearthed. Perhaps not for the first time?


3 months ago when the tracklist was released i posted:
Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
All very intriguing. Wondering if one of the untitled ones is that 9 minute instrumental that was or still is available on YouTube. Think there was a Sept 1984 recording date associated with it. It had some qiite melodic passages and also the car skidding noise that they use on live versions of TPK.Hope so.


This is it.Well, it is and it isn't .It has many of the same elements and melodies as that Sept 84 thing but it's a different , clearer, recording and with some things added and some taken away.Sadly the car skidding noises are not present in this version.But it's essentially the same track.There are some fantastic ideas and melodies in both the version on this extras CD and the other, Sept 84, version that i shared through MediaFire with you i think, Debaser? This in another life could have developed into a New Order classic.It's possibly my favourite on the extras CD.

Sunrise writing session recording
Starts with some fierce Hooky bass.Bernard's first guitar parts on this sound even more like his raw and angular Joy Division guitar than the eventual album version.The synths have a more primitive sound than the finished album version.

Let's Go album session instrumental
I have to admit, i've got a bit lost on the various different versions of Let's Go over the years.Has this version already been out there for many years? Still, sounds great.

Love Vigilantes writing session recording
It's ok and is that a drum machine on this version?

Sooner Than You Think writing session recording
Now this version reminds me a lot of the 'Aleph' live version they were playing in 1984 and in particular the version they did at Volkshaus, Zurich 02.04.84, the drum beat is identical.Listen to the bootleg, it's almost the same except the live version had early attempts by Barney at lyrics, this doesn't have any.


So, through these early and writing session recordings for Low Life it becomes clear yet again with that unique special chemistry, creativity, originality and single mindedness why New Order became one of the biggest, loved around the world bands of the 80s and beyond Smile



I answered a couple of your questions in my previous post, but thanks for IDing the Untitled #2 I hadn't clocked it as partially the same as the bootlegged track of old


thanks 3 users thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
Fotz on 27/01/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 27/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
The Shadow  
#404 Posted : 27 January 2023 09:17:02(UTC)
The Shadow

Rank: Member of the Brotherhood

Groups: Registered
Joined: 30/04/2012(UTC)
Posts: 401
Location: Derby

Thanks: 86 times
Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Just want to make sure the negative one knows my box has arrived! Watching the Rotterdam gig. New order sounding just amazing.

Had a flick through the book and I love Michael Johnson comments about the band on the London section. Summed up : Hooky supportive, Stephen interested in the tech, Gillian also into tech and kept records of all the synth sounds and programming, Bernard full of ideas in fact a genius. Loved it how they all got on so well then. What a great period if time for new order.
thanks 4 users thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/01/2023(UTC), Fotz on 27/01/2023(UTC), negative1 on 27/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
The Shadow  
#405 Posted : 27 January 2023 09:19:01(UTC)
The Shadow

Rank: Member of the Brotherhood

Groups: Registered
Joined: 30/04/2012(UTC)
Posts: 401
Location: Derby

Thanks: 86 times
Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Also in the book i like it the band comments on each song, nice addition to the book. Really well put together book.
thanks 4 users thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/01/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 27/01/2023(UTC), negative1 on 27/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
perspexorange  
#406 Posted : 27 January 2023 09:55:55(UTC)
perspexorange

Rank: Dead Soul

Groups: Registered
Joined: 20/10/2013(UTC)
Posts: 2,250
Location: Salop

Thanks: 451 times
Was thanked: 3447 time(s) in 2250 post(s)
Flicking through the book now whilst listening to the second CD.

The book looks fantastic.
Some great photos.

Highlights:

Those opening few shots - Bernard drinking tea, Stephen close up etc.
The photo of the band with Rob. They look so happy (and Gillian, smiling, looks stunning!). Great times, I imagine!
The master reel boxes & scruffy lyrics.
All those live photos are fantastic. The Salford one. That one of Bernard close up singing. Brilliant!

And Gillian's top! How mad is that? The fact that she still has it. (in a way, I'm kind of not surprised. That film is just the greatest and I can totally understand why you'd want to keep something that reminded you of the time you were the opening shot in a film directed by an Oscar winner).

Brief notes on the tracks a little later.
thanks 4 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
AdamTate on 27/01/2023(UTC), Fotz on 27/01/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 27/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
Fotz  
#407 Posted : 27 January 2023 10:07:42(UTC)
Fotz

Rank: Dead Soul

Groups: Registered
Joined: 02/08/2014(UTC)
Posts: 2,616
Location: Down on the farm

Thanks: 634 times
Was thanked: 3615 time(s) in 2616 post(s)
Moving on to the box presentation.I do like how with all these definitive boxes they include a see through (is it called Rice paper?) sleeve for the vinyl in addition to the original inner (though of course Movement's inner was only ever one of these anyway or at least the copy i bought in the 80s was, though a white card inner was included in that album's definitive box).

Like the previous definitive boxes, to have the CD as a mini identikit of the vinyl is pretty bloody cool.Probably even more so with Low-life as it's such a unique sleeve with the tracing paper wrap.

First flick through the book - looking forward to reading the new interview.Some cracking photos, the pics from the TPK video session and that pic of Steve in the London 1984 photos - iconic 80s Steve! There's a scan of the itinerary for Japan in April/May 85 'Around The World in 40 Days' and for April 25th it's listed they were booked to mime Confusion on a Japanese tv show? What??? I'm taking a guess this never happened in the end as i've never been aware of a clip of them miming Confusion on Japanese tv.

Oh and there was a Low-life carrier bag? Wow.


Will check out the DVDs tonight.



thanks 3 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/01/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 27/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
perspexorange  
#408 Posted : 27 January 2023 10:50:01(UTC)
perspexorange

Rank: Dead Soul

Groups: Registered
Joined: 20/10/2013(UTC)
Posts: 2,250
Location: Salop

Thanks: 451 times
Was thanked: 3447 time(s) in 2250 post(s)
Tracks:

Love Vigilantes (TV Pitch)
We heard this a few weeks back. Love it. Really cool. Like the extra little bits and to be able to hear the bits normally hidden in the mix under the vocals.

The Perfect Kiss (Writing Session)
Again, something we heard a bit back. Interesting to hear something in such a rudimentary form.

Untitled 1
I agree with comments that it sounds like BLT. The opening and the later bass guitar bits especially. A fun piece. I just wish we had more of it.

Sunrise (Instrumental Rough Mix)
Elegia (Full Length)
It's interesting that GotBlueEyes mentions that these are different mixes than the ones we're used to. I will have to make some comparisons.
Elegia does sound different to my ears, but it's been a while since I listened to the long version.
It does sound bloody incredible. What a great piece of music. Morricone would be envious, I'd guess.

Sooner Than You Think (Full Version)
Nothing too remarkable and I can kind of see why they edited it. Still, pretty nice to have.

Sub-Culture (Instrumental)
Interesting and cool. Funky. Needs some Hooky bass though. Possibly he hadn't written his part at the point this was recorded, maybe? Strange ending. Sounds like they just stopped the sequencer randomly.

Face Up (Writing Session)
You can definitely hear why 'Japanese One' was a working title for this. Nice to hear them letting the sequencer run without anything over the top.
Hook's bass sounds great.

Let's Go
Now you're bloody talking. This is fan-fucking-tastic!
That extra bit of Spanish sounding guitar is just great. So nice to hear a 'release quality' version of this version of the track ('Waiting For So Long', rather than 'Nothing For Me').
The only downside - It just makes me long for a version with vocals (besides the bootleg one we have).

Untitled 2
Yep. This is that track from the 1984 Rehearsals Tape!
Great! Finally, we have an official release.
Hooky's bass is sublime, even in this unfinished version. He sounds like he's having so much fun!

Sunrise (Writing Session)
This is interesting. Always a favourite of mine and always something to really show off Hooky's talent.
Some really nice 'new' bits of guitar and bass.
It's funny to hear it played a bit slower than normal.

Love Vigilantes (Writing)
Nice and cheery version of this classic. Breezes along.
Sharp ending, which sounds a biot strange.

Sooner Than You Think (Writing Session)
Wow! This sounds really 'lounge lizard' style. Very chilled.
I like it.

Skullcrusher (Demo)
Something we heard a week or so ago. It's fine for what it is. I just think it goes on a bit and can see why the Salvation version was a shorter version.
Like the messy guitar end. Makes for a good end of CD2 and reminiscent of the end of 'Face Up' with the record skipping.



You know, looking back on previous box set releases, I wasn't that bowled over by most of the stuff on the PC&L CD2. I found a lot of the 'writing session' stuff was a bit dull (for want of a better word). They mostly all sounded like rough mixes with no vocals. Very little significant differences from the LP versions. There were obviously some exceptions to this, of course (for instance, the excellent and thoroughly interesting early Thieves and Blue Monday versions), but I found most tracks to be 'listen to once or twice and forget about them'. Compared to those Cargo/Western Works demos on the first set, they just paled in comparison (IMHO).

So, coming into this disc, seeing all those 'writing session' tracks, I was a little worried we might get more of the same.

However, I think we got some pretty damn fantastic tracks on this release and I will definitely be listening to them multiple times.

Of course, it would've been nice to have a few more 'songs' than we got, but I'm not complaining. There's lots to love here.

Onto the DVDs...




thanks 5 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/01/2023(UTC), Fotz on 27/01/2023(UTC), AdamTate on 27/01/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 27/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
perspexorange  
#409 Posted : 27 January 2023 10:58:10(UTC)
perspexorange

Rank: Dead Soul

Groups: Registered
Joined: 20/10/2013(UTC)
Posts: 2,250
Location: Salop

Thanks: 451 times
Was thanked: 3447 time(s) in 2250 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
There's a scan of the itinerary for Japan in April/May 85 'Around The World in 40 Days' and for April 25th it's listed they were booked to mime Confusion on a Japanese tv show? What??? I'm taking a guess this never happened in the end as i've never been aware of a clip of them miming Confusion on Japanese tv.



This! Wow! I would love to see this.
Johnny James - did this happen? Is it in the archive?
thanks 3 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Fotz on 27/01/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 27/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
Fotz  
#410 Posted : 27 January 2023 11:05:12(UTC)
Fotz

Rank: Dead Soul

Groups: Registered
Joined: 02/08/2014(UTC)
Posts: 2,616
Location: Down on the farm

Thanks: 634 times
Was thanked: 3615 time(s) in 2616 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

You know, looking back on previous box set releases, I wasn't that bowled over by most of the stuff on the PC&L CD2. I found a lot of the 'writing session' stuff was a bit dull (for want of a better word). They mostly all sounded like rough mixes with no vocals. Very little significant differences from the LP versions. There were obviously some exceptions to this, of course (for instance, the excellent and thoroughly interesting early Thieves and Blue Monday versions), but I found most tracks to be 'listen to once or twice and forget about them'. Compared to those Cargo/Western Works demos on the first set, they just paled in comparison (IMHO).

So, coming into this disc, seeing all those 'writing session' tracks, I was a little worried we might get more of the same.

However, I think we got some pretty damn fantastic tracks on this release and I will definitely be listening to them multiple times.

Of course, it would've been nice to have a few more 'songs' than we got, but I'm not complaining. There's lots to love here.




Yep, agree about the Movement extras, particularly the Cargo stuff.That version of Doubts Even Here is fantastic.Only real highlights for me on the PCL extras were the couple of Thieves versions.Low-life's extras are pretty good but i'd still go with the Movement ones as the best by far.

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
Debaser  
#411 Posted : 27 January 2023 13:11:15(UTC)
Debaser

Rank: Dead Soul

Groups: Registered
Joined: 03/06/2012(UTC)
Posts: 2,050
Location: here n there

Thanks: 485 times
Was thanked: 3000 time(s) in 2072 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

Untitled 1
I agree with comments that it sounds like BLT. The opening and the later bass guitar bits especially. A fun piece. I just wish we had more of it.


Bingo!

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

Untitled 2
Yep. This is that track from the 1984 Rehearsals Tape!
Great! Finally, we have an official release.
Hooky's bass is sublime, even in this unfinished version. He sounds like he's having so much fun!


Thanks to Fotz for claryfying this earlier and pointing out the differences. I've gone back and had a listen to the 11 minute version that Fotz sent me, and I think that's an earlier mix than this. Perhaps this was the most refined one? Could there have been other versions too? Maybe Johnny James will tell us one day.


Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

Love Vigilantes (Writing)
Nice and cheery version of this classic. Breezes along.
Sharp ending, which sounds a biot strange.


I had the same thought as Fotz: drum machine. Glad they went with the real drums for the 'real' version.

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

I wasn't that bowled over by most of the stuff on the PC&L CD2. ... Compared to those Cargo/Western Works demos on the first set, they just paled in comparison (IMHO).


Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post

Yep, agree about the Movement extras, particularly the Cargo stuff.That version of Doubts Even Here is fantastic.Only real highlights for me on the PCL extras were the couple of Thieves versions.Low-life's extras are pretty good but i'd still go with the Movement ones as the best by far.


Those Movement extras set a high bar; one that probaby won't be beaten. Cries & Whipsrs (Cargo) really grabbed me. Re: PCL I did really like the writing session version of AOC. That top line synth variation and the sheer energy of the track in the closing stages. But I didn't see anyone else say that, so maybe just me...
thanks 3 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/01/2023(UTC), Fotz on 27/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
perspexorange  
#412 Posted : 27 January 2023 13:20:51(UTC)
perspexorange

Rank: Dead Soul

Groups: Registered
Joined: 20/10/2013(UTC)
Posts: 2,250
Location: Salop

Thanks: 451 times
Was thanked: 3447 time(s) in 2250 post(s)
DVD bits and bobs:

Enjoyed Rotterdam immensely. Good mix of songs. A couple of different cameras, I think

As I mentioned before, I rip the discs so that I don't have to keep delving into the box and potentially damaging it. I don't know whether it was just my rip, but the sound quality seemed to dip at or around the encore of Temptation and Face Up. Almost like a bit of feedback hum. Anyone else notice this?

Always good to see the Hacienda '85 footage (what a blistering version of Sunrise that is). The 'new to us' Face Up footage is curious, in that it appears to have been patched from footage of their July 1985 gig at the same venue six months prior.
There's also some footage of the Haç bar and patrons. All kind of weird.
Would be interested in the story behind this restoration (and why was the cameraman was filming the bar rather than the stage?).
Presumably it means that at least some of the July 1985 Haç gig was filmed. Would be great to see this at some point.

Toronto is a great gig. Appears to be one camera, filmed by Paul Boyd who was a fan, I think. Up close and personal. Fab.
(Is that Rob I spy, wearing a beret, during Sub-Culture? Maybe, maybe not).

Haven't watched either PFD or Leuven, as I'm pretty familiar with both gigs. Will be interested to see whether the former is the 'VHS' or 'DVD' version, which had some different camera work (not sure why this was the case).

The Perfect FIlm. This appears to be the clearest I've ever seen this little gem. However, I've noticed a bit of 'sparkling' (not sure what to call it). Again, I'm not sure if this is just my rip. Anyone else notice it?

A good couple of DVDs. Great to see both Rotterdam and Toronto in full.
If I had to be a bit critical, I'd have liked perhaps another couple of previously unseen gigs instead of PFD and Leuven. Both gigs are great (especially the latter), but I've seen them many times.
I also missed the selection of 'bits and bobs' that we got with the previous two sets.
Obviously I don't know if there was suitable footage to rectify my two quibbles.
A very minor complant though.



Haven't quite finished Toronto yet, and need to check out 'Confusion' from Leuven yet, so may have more thoughts laster (who am I kidding? Of course I'll have more thoughts later!).

Big thanks to JJ and crew for putting together a worthy package for this classic LP.




thanks 3 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/01/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 27/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
Fotz  
#413 Posted : 27 January 2023 13:28:13(UTC)
Fotz

Rank: Dead Soul

Groups: Registered
Joined: 02/08/2014(UTC)
Posts: 2,616
Location: Down on the farm

Thanks: 634 times
Was thanked: 3615 time(s) in 2616 post(s)
I watched the Whistle Test section on the DVD 1.Strange to watch Face Up kick in after after all these years of seeing the clip end after Sunrise! The merging/edit of the July 85 and December 85 footage was a strange experience! But hats off to Johnny and/or the team that managed to blend it all together, it must have been a bit tricky, yeah? Or maybe it's easy when you know how? I was expecting the footage to switch completely to the July one halfway through, which it did kind of, but then some of the images later on flick back to the December footage (repeated, i think?) .But all blended in, nicely done.Great job all involved.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
perspexorange  
#414 Posted : 27 January 2023 13:33:00(UTC)
perspexorange

Rank: Dead Soul

Groups: Registered
Joined: 20/10/2013(UTC)
Posts: 2,250
Location: Salop

Thanks: 451 times
Was thanked: 3447 time(s) in 2250 post(s)
Oh and 5-8-6 at Toronto is awesome.

Bernard's vein in his neck as he belts out 'heard you calling', then going over to the synth to play the keyboard refrain.
Brilliant!



Oh, and Ceremony! Killer!

Edited by user 27 January 2023 13:51:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
Fotz  
#415 Posted : 27 January 2023 13:39:23(UTC)
Fotz

Rank: Dead Soul

Groups: Registered
Joined: 02/08/2014(UTC)
Posts: 2,616
Location: Down on the farm

Thanks: 634 times
Was thanked: 3615 time(s) in 2616 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
DVD bits and bobs:


Always good to see the Hacienda '85 footage (what a blistering version of Sunrise that is). The 'new to us' Face Up footage is curious, in that it appears to have been patched from footage of their July 1985 gig at the same venue six months prior.
There's also some footage of the Haç bar and patrons. All kind of weird.....
....(and why was the cameraman filming the bar rather than the stage?).




Yes i found it slightly strange and even amusing how the camera person fixed on the Hacienda bar for quite a while .

thanks 3 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/01/2023(UTC), perspexorange on 28/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
Fotz  
#416 Posted : 27 January 2023 15:32:49(UTC)
Fotz

Rank: Dead Soul

Groups: Registered
Joined: 02/08/2014(UTC)
Posts: 2,616
Location: Down on the farm

Thanks: 634 times
Was thanked: 3615 time(s) in 2616 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post


Enjoyed Rotterdam immensely. Good mix of songs. A couple of different cameras, I think

As I mentioned before, I rip the discs so that I don't have to keep delving into the box and potentially damaging it. I don't know whether it was just my rip, but the sound quality seemed to dip at or around the encore of Temptation and Face Up. Almost like a bit of feedback hum. Anyone else notice this?


Working my way through the DVDs tonight with a few beers .Yep, the Rotterdam audio definitely takes a big nosedive around the encore of Temptation and Face Up. So much so i'm not sure i'll visit that section again! Did it get really hot in that venue at that gig? By that encore Barney looks pretty drenched in sweat and Gillian appeared exhausted and often wiping her brow.Barney did shout out at one point to Andy about the heat from the lights.

As i'd seen the Leuven video many times i skipped to the one previously unseen track from that gig, Confusion.Yikes that tape was pretty damaged eh? Thanks to the team though for syncing the soundboard to what was salvaged of the vid and presenting an edit of the tape as best could be done.It's appreciated.Thankyou.

Edited by user 27 January 2023 15:37:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/01/2023(UTC), perspexorange on 28/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
tapebias  
#417 Posted : 27 January 2023 15:37:57(UTC)
tapebias

Rank: Member of the Republic

Groups: Registered
Joined: 28/11/2012(UTC)
Posts: 156
Location: UK

Thanks: 27 times
Was thanked: 249 time(s) in 155 post(s)
Untitled No.1 sounds like a mash up of BLT (different key) and Spandau Ballet - True. Just listen to the first 30s.
thanks 2 users thanked tapebias for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
The Shadow  
#418 Posted : 27 January 2023 16:30:53(UTC)
The Shadow

Rank: Member of the Brotherhood

Groups: Registered
Joined: 30/04/2012(UTC)
Posts: 401
Location: Derby

Thanks: 86 times
Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Listened to the actual album on vinyl (big vinyl lover me) sound fucking amazing!

Agree this box set extras up there with movement. PC&L favourite album but extra nowhere near the standard of movement and this Lowlife one.
Great seeing a hacienda gig via whistle test, in good quality, you can actually tell it’s at the hacienda no grainy footage here!

To the Perspex one - The quality on the last 2 Trax of Rotterdam drops out significantly .

Listening to this reading Dennis Remmer book got to disagree strongly on Sooner than u think, although lyrically not the finest the instrumental passages of this song are great, a closet gem on the album.

From my original factory vinyl pressings Brotherhood is by far the worst condition wise soo for this alone can’t wait for brotherhood deluxe treatment.
I’m smashed but loving the listening experience of this box set. Onto the wonderful package and sounding perfect kiss mirrored cover 12” - roll us a phat one I’m delving ever deeper

Edited by user 27 January 2023 16:49:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
perspexorange on 28/01/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 28/01/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 28/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 31/03/2023(UTC)
dallywhitty  
#419 Posted : 27 January 2023 17:53:51(UTC)
dallywhitty

Rank: Candidate

Groups: Registered
Joined: 30/11/2014(UTC)
Posts: 10
Man

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Just finished watching all the live material. Good stuff but it definitely got samey and I didn't enjoy it as much as I did the live DVDs for Movement and Power, Corruption & Lies, but maybe that's because I have a bias for NO's mega-early era (Movement supremacy). I was also disappointed that the PQ for The Perfect Film wasn't better. Perhaps the original elements have gone walkies over the years?

The sessions recording version of The Perfect Kiss is a banger and I also really like the session instrumental of Sub-culture. Those synths sound so raw and... squelchy! Always nice to see the full-length version of Elegia replicated, too. It's still one of my favourite NO tracks.

Edited by user 27 January 2023 18:05:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked dallywhitty for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/01/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 28/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
Andy  
#420 Posted : 27 January 2023 23:44:51(UTC)
Andy

Rank: Dead Soul

Groups: Registered
Joined: 24/04/2012(UTC)
Posts: 2,123
Man
Location: Seaside, California

Thanks: 1431 times
Was thanked: 3069 time(s) in 2142 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Amazon have dispatched mine for delivery today. Phew.
Hope everybody else is in a similar position.


From the beginning, Amazon (US) said to expect it on February 1st. This Thursday, they changed the expected delivery date to read "Wednesday" (which is February 1st! Clown). That's now been updated to "shipped" with delivery today (Friday).



Had my doubts. When checking the Amazon app today, the status never advanced from "Shipped" to "Out for delivery". Then the status changed to "Running late" and expected 28th or 29th. Oh well. But when I arrived home from work, there it was on the porch. Delivery on release day is a result! (Yes, it's technically still Friday here in California as I type this).

No Obi strip or content ratings on this copy, if you're wondering...

thanks 3 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
perspexorange on 28/01/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 28/01/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 28/01/2023(UTC)
Andy  
#421 Posted : 27 January 2023 23:49:26(UTC)
Andy

Rank: Dead Soul

Groups: Registered
Joined: 24/04/2012(UTC)
Posts: 2,123
Man
Location: Seaside, California

Thanks: 1431 times
Was thanked: 3069 time(s) in 2142 post(s)
In related news, today I received an email from the New Order store that my Crystal Clear TPK 12" shipped. But the tracking hasn't updated for a delivery date as of yet.
thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
perspexorange  
#422 Posted : 28 January 2023 01:07:25(UTC)
perspexorange

Rank: Dead Soul

Groups: Registered
Joined: 20/10/2013(UTC)
Posts: 2,250
Location: Salop

Thanks: 451 times
Was thanked: 3447 time(s) in 2250 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post


As i'd seen the Leuven video many times i skipped to the one previously unseen track from that gig, Confusion.Yikes that tape was pretty damaged eh? Thanks to the team though for syncing the soundboard to what was salvaged of the vid and presenting an edit of the tape as best could be done.It's appreciated.Thankyou.


Again, not sure if it was because of my disc rip, or the fact I was actually streaming it from my hard-drive to my TV, but ‘Confusion’ sound was a bit out of step with the visuals. Anyone else find this?
It’s a shame that the quality of this one track is not up to the standard of the others, but it was good to see after all this time and I appreciate the effort made to bring this to us.

Originally Posted by: The Shadow Go to Quoted Post

…disagree strongly on Sooner than u think, although lyrically not the finest the instrumental passages of this song are great, a closet gem on the album.


I agree. Sooner Than You Think gets a fair amount of grief, mainly due to the lyrics (which I think were mostly made up at the Zurich ‘84 gig). However, I really like it and always have. Back in the day, I never really liked Face Up but, looking back now, I was a loon. It’s a great song (especially live).

Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post


No Obi strip or content ratings on this copy, if you're wondering...



So was that from the New Order Store, Andy?
Just trying to establish which store provides Obis for future purchases.

Incidentally, mine came with an Obi and I agree with Adam’s earlier comments that it’s a bit of a pain. Very tight fit and not easy to store. But I’m glad I’ve got it.

Edit: Sorry. Re-read and noticed you got it from Amazon.

I’m useless… :-(

Edited by user 28 January 2023 01:11:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/01/2023(UTC), Andy on 28/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
GotBlueEyes  
#423 Posted : 28 January 2023 02:38:44(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Rank: Member of the Brotherhood

Groups: Registered
Joined: 25/09/2015(UTC)
Posts: 313

Thanks: 137 times
Was thanked: 554 time(s) in 312 post(s)
Noticed that the Tokyo PFD footage is slightly different at the start as it loses the 80s graphics and PFD branding, just keeps the top left quadrant (Tokyo footage) full screen

Otherwise, it definitely seems a better transfer than the Japanese DVD copy I have

UserPostedImage

thanks 2 users thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
NotAMod  
#424 Posted : 28 January 2023 02:54:41(UTC)
NotAMod

Rank: Moderator

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered
Joined: 24/04/2012(UTC)
Posts: 653
Location: London, UK

Thanks: 175 times
Was thanked: 1036 time(s) in 653 post(s)
Still waiting on my "mega" bundle from the NO store. For £200 it would've been nice to have it on release day so I think I'll consider other outlets next time.

Worryingly, still no sign of the 12" singles digital audio which for the Movement/PC&L counterparts were released the same day as their boxes. I wonder why it's different this time around?

Was quite looking forward to ditching my vinyl transfer of Shellcock so hoping they show up soon. Spotify is normally a pretty good indicator of when they're out and it is definitely not showing anything this morning.

Congrats to those who received their boxes on time, very jealous poring over the observations and pics Tongue

Edited by user 28 January 2023 03:00:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/01/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 28/01/2023(UTC), GotBlueEyes on 28/01/2023(UTC), Mike C. on 28/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
Fotz  
#425 Posted : 28 January 2023 03:13:27(UTC)
Fotz

Rank: Dead Soul

Groups: Registered
Joined: 02/08/2014(UTC)
Posts: 2,616
Location: Down on the farm

Thanks: 634 times
Was thanked: 3615 time(s) in 2616 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
Untitled 1 is interesting.Or interesting in the fact i can't hear anything at all in it that eventually made it into a released song.Can't even hear any nascent BLT in there as some have suggested.


Hmm. Listening again this morning it is actually quite clear how it's a very early attempt at a synth idea that eventually would form a big part of BLT! I can hear it now. Weird how yesterday i couldn't make the BLT connection.

A lovely little tune. As others i think have said, it's a shame it's so short.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/01/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 28/01/2023(UTC)
Users browsing this topic
Guest (7)
23 Pages«<1516171819>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.1 | YAF © 2003-2024, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 1.520 seconds.