logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages«<567
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Linus Solanki  
#151 Posted : 07 May 2021 10:18:54(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1000 time(s) in 639 post(s)
INTERVIEW: New Order’s Phil Cunningham discusses ‘Education Entertainment Recreation (Live at Alexandra Palace)

https://youtu.be/nQN9WWkAZak

Really nice interview, looks like NO is working on something new
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 4 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
Like No Other on 07/05/2021(UTC), Mr. Disco on 07/05/2021(UTC), Andy on 08/05/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/05/2021(UTC)
50poundnote  
#152 Posted : 07 May 2021 11:26:09(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 889 time(s) in 503 post(s)
Got my bundle (in San Francisco) 48 hours after it shipped from the UK. It's a beautiful package! Listening now. While it's a bit more polished and less shambolic than their '80s heyday, and Barney's voice has matured, I'm really happy to have this. They've been my favorite band since 1986, and I didn't get to see them live until 2001, so anything live from them has always felt like a gift.

My print is 986/1000

I don't own a Blu-ray player. Guess I should buy one now.
thanks 4 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
Mr. Disco on 07/05/2021(UTC), fac51 on 07/05/2021(UTC), Like No Other on 07/05/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/05/2021(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#153 Posted : 07 May 2021 12:27:44(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Was thanked: 620 time(s) in 351 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Linus Solanki Go to Quoted Post
Really nice interview, looks like NO is working on something new

Another remix of 'Be A Rebel?

Edited by user 07 May 2021 12:28:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
negative1 on 07/05/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/05/2021(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#154 Posted : 07 May 2021 13:15:40(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1000 time(s) in 639 post(s)
Phil showed the new Celtic Guitar he used in one of the new songs at the end of the interview
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 2 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
Debaser on 08/05/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/05/2021(UTC)
Debaser  
#155 Posted : 08 May 2021 05:14:14(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Phil showed the new Celtic Guitar he used in one of the new songs at the end of the interview

Ah the dulcimer. Bernard mentioned in a Music Complete interview (the Radio X/John Kennedy one which Fotz uploaded to YT, I think) that Steve always seems to have a "dulcimer one" in provisional tracklists for NO albums. And there certainly was for Music Complete - you can hear the dulcimer at the start of Nothing But A Fool.

I'm too lazy to watch the whole interview. Where's the bit about new material pls?
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/05/2021(UTC)
Andy  
#156 Posted : 08 May 2021 08:45:28(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

Ah the dulcimer. Bernard mentioned in a Music Complete interview (the Radio X/John Kennedy one which Fotz uploaded to YT, I think) that Steve always seems to have a "dulcimer one" in provisional tracklists for NO albums. And there certainly was for Music Complete - you can hear the dulcimer at the start of Nothing But A Fool.

I'm too lazy to watch the whole interview. Where's the bit about new material pls?

Between 15 and 16 minutes in. He say's he can't talk about it but it's probably another single.

thanks 3 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
Mr. Disco on 08/05/2021(UTC), Debaser on 09/05/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/05/2021(UTC)
chronovisor  
#157 Posted : 14 May 2021 00:00:56(UTC)
chronovisor

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 50poundnote Go to Quoted Post

My print is 986/1000

I got my bundle today delivered to Wellington/New Zealand.

My print is 982/1000.

Hi
h t t p : / / c h r o n o v i s o r . b l o g s p o t . c o m

h t t p : / / n e w o r d e r - l i v e . b l o g s p o t . c o m
thanks 1 user thanked chronovisor for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/06/2021(UTC)
GotBlueEyes  
#158 Posted : 14 May 2021 00:07:47(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 308 post(s)
Felt a bit weird watching it when the female backing vocals come in and there is no-one there singing them (eg Crystal and Sub-Culture)

So much of the instrumental backing is pre-programmed - always has been, so why does it jar so much for me when you notice the backing vocal is on tape too?
thanks 2 users thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
M1 on 18/05/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 16/06/2021(UTC)
daftpunk  
#159 Posted : 14 May 2021 14:40:46(UTC)
daftpunk

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 29 post(s)
978/1000 !!
thanks 1 user thanked daftpunk for this useful post.
Andy  
#160 Posted : 15 May 2021 05:21:15(UTC)
Andy

Man

Originally Posted by: GotBlueEyes Go to Quoted Post
Felt a bit weird watching it when the female backing vocals come in and there is no-one there singing them (eg Crystal and Sub-Culture)

So much of the instrumental backing is pre-programmed - always has been, so why does it jar so much for me when you notice the backing vocal is on tape too?

I was more annoyed by his changing of the vocal melody on Love Vigilantes. Otherwise, business as usual for latter-day New Order. I was actually pleased that they toned down Elly's canned vocal on Tutti Frutti.

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#161 Posted : 16 May 2021 15:13:50(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1033 time(s) in 653 post(s)
I must admit, I've really enjoyed listening to EER over the past week. It's probably the first time I've dropped 3 figures on what is essentially a live album but there is no denying it is a classy package and sounds excellent. Like many here I was at the gig in 2018 so felt I had no choice but to purchase and I've tucked away my ticket stub into the box-set.

The audio sounds better than Troxy, Bestival and NOMC15 all rolled into one. I opted for the "Super Deluxe" option but without the t-shirt, A2 print or badges which I found to be taking the piss a little bit. Merchandising overload and superfluous. I've also not been impressed with the band t-shirts from Warners recently, the neckline is ridiculously tight. I'm a standard 'M' and every Mute t-shirt I've ordered fits perfectly but the recent Warners ones just seem an odd fit. I'm not that much of a fat bastard yet! (honest).

T-shirt whinging aside... when lifting the lid off of the set I recommend using plastic gloves or something similar as the black sleeves can be magnets for thumb-prints despite best intentions. The hardback book and everything contained in the sleeves - plus the CDs & Blu-ray replica mini-LP sleeves - are really nice. Sitting on my shelf next to the Movement and PC&L Definitive Editions it blends in well as they're all the same size. The bad old days of the Rhino 2xCD Collector's Editions are thankfully fading fast and the Definitive Low-life box-set can't come soon enough, in my view.

It is a bit bizarre Tutti Frutti was omitted from the CDs as Disc 1 is only 50 minutes, which leaves a fair amount of space left over. It could have easily been accommodated between KW1 and Sub-Culture as it is in the Blu-ray's running order. I had a crack at checking out the DTS-HD audio stream on the Blu-ray which while sounds great on my TV is mastered differently (lower) to the CDs. Unlike previous DVD releases, there are no extras here which is no big deal. With the exception of the Glasgow ones (Hooky & Steve wandering through a tunnel) I don't think I watched most of the previous/collective DVD extras more than er, twice.

I think, for the money, a Hi-res version of the audio on the Blu-ray wouldn't have been too much to ask. The 24-bit version is currently on Qobuz for £23 quid (minus Tutti) but for once I'll stick with my CD rips as they sound just fine. As for Tutti itself, I can also for once live without it being there.

In terms of the tunes... Ultraviolence and Disorder have been receiving an absolute caning on my playlist; I like the "deathly reverb" effect they applied to Bernard's vocal which is less obvious on the MIF show. Also WFTSC because I find the Planet Funk rework sublime... and finally the holy trinity towards the end. Low point? Tutti probably, which is why I'm not exactly mourning its loss from the CDs.

A solid 8/10 from me. The Super Deluxe box price is admittedly a bit eye-watering but the CD + Blu-ray package are a decent price for 2 hours' worth of high quality audio/video.

Edited by user 16 May 2021 15:53:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 6 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
negative1 on 16/05/2021(UTC), Like No Other on 17/05/2021(UTC), Mr. Disco on 17/05/2021(UTC), The Shadow on 18/05/2021(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 20/05/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 16/06/2021(UTC)
Fotz  
#162 Posted : 17 May 2021 10:52:29(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Didn’t bother buying . Bought a couple of Beatles albums instead. Original 1973 vinyl copies of the red album and the blue album, £15 a piece . Audio quality is incredible. Needed a wash with the L’Art Du Son and came up a treat . Let It Be.

Edited by user 17 May 2021 10:54:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
negative1 on 17/05/2021(UTC), Mr. Disco on 18/05/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 16/06/2021(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#163 Posted : 17 May 2021 11:30:27(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Yeah, there's a point where you can't be arsed any more. It's too much hassle and there's always BibeTube.
The first time I experienced the Beatles was the 67 - 70 compilation. I was about nine and my parents had it on blue vinyl. I remember thinking when they die, it won't be all tragic, cos I could get that LP. Positive thinking.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Mr Discography  
#164 Posted : 17 May 2021 12:30:21(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Was thanked: 620 time(s) in 351 post(s)
I didn't actually notice 'Tutti Frutti' was missing from the CD tracklisting. Very strange to have it on one but not the other.

Anyone know the reason why it's on the Blu-ray but not the CDs?
thanks 1 user thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
Mr. Disco  
#165 Posted : 17 May 2021 14:51:04(UTC)
Mr. Disco

Man

Was thanked: 347 time(s) in 189 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NotAMod Go to Quoted Post
The audio sounds better than Troxy, Bestival and NOMC15 all rolled into one.

Agreed. But the MIF recording Σ[2017#$%&@***whatever] sounds better to me. It's a shame they didn't use that one for the blu-ray release. A different approach overall, visually and soundwise.

I opted for the "Super Deluxe" option but without the t-shirt, A2 print or badges which I found to be taking the piss a little bit. Merchandising overload and superfluous. I've also not been impressed with the band t-shirts from Warners recently, the neckline is ridiculously tight.

Same here. I'm also not a fan of tees and badges. I think the book will be a nice item to have autographed some day...

Edit: Oh, and I thought I've read somewhere the Decades doc would be an extra feature on this blu-ray.

Edited by user 17 May 2021 14:53:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Mr. Disco for this useful post.
NotAMod on 18/05/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 16/06/2021(UTC)
Fotz  
#166 Posted : 18 May 2021 00:09:14(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
If they’d included the Decades doc it might have swayed me to buy. Maybe there was a legal reason for not including?

Only reason I can think of for not having Tutti Frutti on the CD is perhaps it couldn’t have fitted it on the vinyl and they wanted the track list for the CDs and vinyl to match exactly?
thanks 3 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Andy on 18/05/2021(UTC), Mr. Disco on 18/05/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 16/06/2021(UTC)
The Shadow  
#167 Posted : 18 May 2021 10:36:11(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
I must admit, I've really enjoyed listening to EER over the past week. It's probably the first time I've dropped 3 figures on what is essentially a live album but there is no denying it is a classy package and sounds excellent. Like many here I was at the gig in 2018 so felt I had no choice but to purchase and I've tucked away my ticket stub into the box-set.

The audio sounds better than Troxy, Bestival and NOMC15 all rolled into one. I opted for the "Super Deluxe" option but without the t-shirt, A2 print or badges which I found to be taking the piss a little bit. Merchandising overload and superfluous. I've also not been impressed with the band t-shirts from Warners recently, the neckline is ridiculously tight. I'm a standard 'M' and every Mute t-shirt I've ordered fits perfectly but the recent Warners ones just seem an odd fit. I'm not that much of a fat bastard yet! (honest).

T-shirt whinging aside... when lifting the lid off of the set I recommend using plastic gloves or something similar as the black sleeves can be magnets for thumb-prints despite best intentions. The hardback book and everything contained in the sleeves - plus the CDs & Blu-ray replica mini-LP sleeves - are really nice. Sitting on my shelf next to the Movement and PC&L Definitive Editions it blends in well as they're all the same size. The bad old days of the Rhino 2xCD Collector's Editions are thankfully fading fast and the Definitive Low-life box-set can't come soon enough, in my view.

It is a bit bizarre Tutti Frutti was omitted from the CDs as Disc 1 is only 50 minutes, which leaves a fair amount of space left over. It could have easily been accommodated between KW1 and Sub-Culture as it is in the Blu-ray's running order. I had a crack at checking out the DTS-HD audio stream on the Blu-ray which while sounds great on my TV is mastered differently (lower) to the CDs. Unlike previous DVD releases, there are no extras here which is no big deal. With the exception of the Glasgow ones (Hooky & Steve wandering through a tunnel) I don't think I watched most of the previous/collective DVD extras more than er, twice.

I think, for the money, a Hi-res version of the audio on the Blu-ray wouldn't have been too much to ask. The 24-bit version is currently on Qobuz for £23 quid (minus Tutti) but for once I'll stick with my CD rips as they sound just fine. As for Tutti itself, I can also for once live without it being there.

In terms of the tunes... Ultraviolence and Disorder have been receiving an absolute caning on my playlist; I like the "deathly reverb" effect they applied to Bernard's vocal which is less obvious on the MIF show. Also WFTSC because I find the Planet Funk rework sublime... and finally the holy trinity towards the end. Low point? Tutti probably, which is why I'm not exactly mourning its loss from the CDs.

A solid 8/10 from me. The Super Deluxe box price is admittedly a bit eye-watering but the CD + Blu-ray package are a decent price for 2 hours' worth of high quality audio/video.

Agree if you ignore the amount of other live albums (I suppose Troxy and Bestival were quite small scale releases?) this is a truly excellent live album. I also went for the duluxe but with an added t shirt, and it is a large amount of money to part with but my choice, although hard to refuse when you are a collector. I did manage to not go for the art print.

I too was at this gig so makes it more of an essential purchase (was also at MiF and Troxy). If the other live albums did not exist this release would be held up in higher esteem IMO. Really for modern day NO this along with MiF are the essential live releases.

NO are we’re in fine form that night and Barneys vocals sound really good (although as someone else said in this thread his voice on TPK does sound very frog like - maybe Steve added TPK frog sample on top of his voice!).Really enjoyed playing over the last couple of weeks but not sure how often I’ll return to it, although does act as a best off quite well. I much prefer actual albums to live ones. Need to get a blue ray to enjoy the video performance so will probably get round to that b4 the end of the year. I always prefer audio to visual but always worth one or 2 views and I did watch the sky arts version.

Certainly not an essential releases but good for the hardcore fan and definitely worth a download a just a vinyl or cd copy to the more casual observer.

As a live album I’ve not heard many better, but please no more live album releases! Sounds like a new single to look forward to in 2022. Listening to this does make you hungry for a gig and glad I’ve got my tickets for Manchester and London this year. I really can’t wait for those events
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
Mr. Disco  
#168 Posted : 12 August 2021 17:25:49(UTC)
Mr. Disco

Man

Finally here... the vinyl discs arrived surprisingly intact.

UserPostedImage UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users thanked Mr. Disco for this useful post.
Andy on 13/08/2021(UTC), Col72 on 13/08/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/11/2021(UTC)
Debaser  
#169 Posted : 31 July 2022 12:58:40(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
Didn’t bother buying

Me neither until a couple of weeks ago. Someone on the NO fan page on Facebook pointed out that EER was cheap on Amazon.
So I bought the BluRay + 2CD version for £10.99 + free postage. I see it's now reduced further to £9.65 click.

On the one hand I thought: I went to the gig, they're trying to sell it to me again for £££. On the other hand I felt that I had to get it at some point precisely because...I went to the gig.

For people who don't want the BluRay there are currently a couple of 2CD copies on Amazon UK for £4.93 click.

In truth, I don't have a BluRay player, but when I made my purchase, the 3 disc version was only £3 more expensive than the 2CD, so I figured: one day I may have a BR player; may as well splash out the extra three quid.

No sooner did I do that, and NO started uploading Ally Pally vids to YouTube. I guess they're aware that the peak fleecing um, sales period is over now, so they'll just whack the clips up for free. By the time I get around to buying a BR player the whole gig will probably be on YT...

As for the CD's? Yeah nice enough. I found myself more critical of Bernard's voice on my stereo than I was on the night. And TPK live never manages to match the majesty of the 12". In fact the video version is probably better than any live gig version I know. I would agree with comments above that Ultraviolence and Disorder are worth repeated plays. And YSF sounds decent too. Will I play this a lot? Nope. Is it worth a fiver? Yep.

Here are the recent uploads. One of which was posted to NO Spotting this morning by -1.

EDIT: Another one

Edited by user 14 August 2022 10:35:58(UTC)  | Reason: another vid added

thanks 3 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Rorschach on 01/08/2022(UTC), Mr. Disco on 01/08/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 18/09/2022(UTC)
50poundnote  
#170 Posted : 31 July 2022 19:52:10(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 889 time(s) in 503 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
And TPK live never manages to match the majesty of the 12". In fact the video version is probably better than any live gig version I know.

Two things that have helped the current live version of The Perfect Kiss immensely: they're using a harder sound for the sequenced synth bass, and they've boosted the volume of the percussion (bongos, etc). It still needs a sharper snare and those bright '80s handclaps. I understand why they're playing a shortened version - because the whole first section was a showcase for Hook - but I hope someday they return to playing it in all it's 9+ minute glory.

I also hope someday they take True Faith back to it's original arrangement.
thanks 4 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
Rorschach on 01/08/2022(UTC), Mr. Disco on 01/08/2022(UTC), Like No Other on 02/08/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 18/09/2022(UTC)
Mr. Disco  
#171 Posted : 01 August 2022 05:55:53(UTC)
Mr. Disco

Man

As well as Temptation. That pointless intro is getting beyond tiresome to my ears
thanks 1 user thanked Mr. Disco for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/09/2022(UTC)
Andy  
#172 Posted : 01 August 2022 09:46:23(UTC)
Andy

Man

Originally Posted by: Mr. Disco Go to Quoted Post
As well as Temptation. That pointless intro is getting beyond tiresome to my ears

Then you probably won't enjoy the whole thing: https: Street Hassle
thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
Mr. Disco on 01/08/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 18/09/2022(UTC)
Mr. Disco  
#173 Posted : 01 August 2022 15:33:13(UTC)
Mr. Disco

Man

Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mr. Disco Go to Quoted Post

Then you probably won't enjoy the whole thing: https: Street Hassle

Well... I know they used that one. And I think it works pretty good on its own merit. But not as the intro for Temptation.

They also used the basis of Cat People from Bowie on Atmosphere... at least it doesn't go for like two minutes (intro & outro considered). But I still prefer the old arrangement.

thanks 2 users thanked Mr. Disco for this useful post.
Andy on 02/08/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 18/09/2022(UTC)