logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perspexorange  
#1 Posted : 24 July 2020 16:24:41(UTC)
perspexorange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Just a quick heads up.

The livestream interview with Hooky at Slipstream TV that was broadcast yesterday (24/07/20), included 7 minutes of footage from the Malcolm Whitehead 'Joy Division' film.

As well as showing the bits that were in the Grant Gee 'Joy Division' film, there were a number of other clips of the band relaxing at T J Davidson Rehearsal Rooms. This is stuff that I've never seen before (and I would imagine the vast majority of people haven't seen)!!

The footage also included some clips from the 14/03/79 Bowden Vale gig. I'm not 100% sure, but it looked like there may have been some previously unreleased footage here, presumably from the unedited 'rushes' that Mr Whitehead took from that gig.

I'm not sure how long this footage will be available for, but you can see it here:

http://www.SlipstreamTV.co.uk/CloserAnniversary

The only slight catch is that you have to buy a pass for £5, which is donated to the Epilepsy Society.
The footage starts around 34 minutes into the actual interview.

The previously unseen footage is worth the £5 in itself, but you also get a great interview with Hooky lasting about 2 hours. He's in fine form and only slips into dissing the band a couple of times (annoying, I know, but what can you do?).

I encourage everyone to have a look. Hopefully the link will stay up for a while.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/07/2020(UTC)
Sponsor
perspexorange  
#2 Posted : 24 July 2020 16:32:48(UTC)
perspexorange

Just to clarify, there is no audio to this footage. It is completely silent, with Hooky talking over it and commenting on various things that are happening on screen.

It is, frankly, pretty fabulous. Wonderful to see.

Edited by user 24 July 2020 16:33:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 24/07/2020(UTC)
Fotz  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2020 01:27:09(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Ooh, i bought a new capture device and software a while back that i haven't used yet so may try and grab this if i can.Haven't clicked the link yet but £5 for a pass is ok and goes towards a good cause so will try .Thanks P for heads up.

Edited by user 25 July 2020 01:42:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/07/2020(UTC)
perspexorange  
#4 Posted : 25 July 2020 01:43:03(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
Ooh, i bought a new capture device a while back that i haven't used yet so may try and grab this if i can.Haven't clicked the link yet but £5 for a pass is ok and goes towards a good cause so will try .Thanks P for heads up.

No problem!

It's absolutely wonderful footage and well worth the £5.

If anyone is interested, here's what's contained in it:

<<<Spoilers a plenty here, so if you’d rather check out the footage yourself first, go for it.>>>

The footage starts around 34 minutes into the interview.

34:20-35:11 ‘House Of Dolls’.

Close-up of the cover of this book and of an extract about the ‘Joy Division’ brothels, showing where the band got their name

35:11-36:12 TJ Davidson’s Rehearsal Rooms.

Band relaxing. Close-ups of (in order) Ian, Hooky, Bernard & Steve.

This is the same footage as used in Grant Gee’s film, but longer edits (poorer quality though, sadly).

36:13-36:49 Bowden Vale 14/03/79.

This looks like it contains a little unseen footage, including a bit at the end of a song (Ian exhausted / calming himself and Steve parting his hair).

36:50-38:13 TJ Davidson’s Rehearsal Rooms.

Band relaxing. Group shot.

Ian reaches to take Bernard’s can of beer.

Then, something is said, and Bernard reacts to it by reaching out and placing a hand first on Ian’s arm, then Hooky’s knee (Bernard turns smiling to camera). Finally, he clutches at Steve’s ‘Geography Teacher’s jacket’ collar. Bernard turns smiling to the camera. The scene finishes with all of them chatting to each other, smiling and occasionally talking to the camera.

The whole scene is wonderful and is a lovely moment; four good friends, happy in each other’s company.

38:14-38:43 Bowden Vale 14/03/79.

More unseen footage, which starts with a shot of Ian’s feet, panning right to show some very young kids in the audience (reinforcing the notion that it is obviously a Youth Club).

38:44-38:56 TJ Davidson’s Rehearsal Rooms.

Rehearsal footage. Includes a close-up of Steve playing the drums and Bernard in front of a mike, probably testing this.

38:57-39:09 Bowden Vale 14/03/79.

Bernard playing guitar. Not sure if this is unseen or not.

39:10-40:10 TJ Davidson’s Rehearsal Rooms.

Close-up of yellow delivery vans (‘Tax-E-Vans’), from TJD’s window.

Brief distance shot of band between rehearsals (I can make out Bernard and Ian, I think).

Shot of Bernard (?) having (or pretending to have) a piss at a toilet, including a close-up of a very scummy toilet bowl. Hooky says this is Bernard, but it could easily be Ian - it’s difficult to tell, due to lighting and being shot (thankfully!) from behind.

Wonderful footage of the band chatting and rehearsing. Some nice close-ups of Bernard and Ian. Some of this might be the same as was used in the Gee film (the bits where Ian doesn’t have a coat on). However, there’s quite a bit more of it, with a few different shots.

40:11-40:28 TJ Davidson’s Rehearsal Rooms.

Another group shot of the band relaxing (Bernard biting nails). Ian is sadly off camera for most of this brief footage.

40:29-41:50 Bowden Vale 14/03/79.

Definitely some different footage here, with the camera going upside down early on in this scene.

Ian and Bernard take a drink between songs.

Close-up of Ian singing and Steve hammering the drums.

Shot from behind Hooky of crowd and Ian swaying to the music.

Shot of band leaving the stage (Bernard exiting stage left, guitar in hand) and all the kids getting up from their places and mingling with the band.

Most of this footage appears ‘new’.

Phew! That took some doing.

I’m not sure how much of all of the above was actually in the original Whitehead movie, and how much of it is unused edits. Perhaps someone who has seen the Whitehead film can identify some of the bits I’ve mentioned above and report back. I’m guessing that the House Of Dolls extract was shown in the film, showing where the band got its name.

I have to say that, watching this footage for the first time was a massive thrill and only reinforces my desire to see the Whitehead movie.
Sadly, Hooky comments that he’s not sure whether the general public will ever get to see it.

Michael Monkhouse  
#5 Posted : 26 July 2020 07:21:30(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
My dad was a failed epileptic. No great shakes.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.