logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LostSiren  
#1 Posted : 02 July 2020 06:16:57(UTC)
LostSiren

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 218 time(s) in 176 post(s)
Steve and Bernard appear in the Roland 808 documentary that's out on Amazon Prime in the U.S. I'm not even sure Bernard says anything, a few lines from Steve. Pretty good documentary if too long.
thanks 2 users thanked LostSiren for this useful post.
Ken Doherty on 03/07/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 13/07/2020(UTC)
Sponsor
Ken Doherty  
#2 Posted : 02 July 2020 12:42:56(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 313 post(s)

I watched it tonight on UK Amazon Prime and thought it was OK but I agree it was too long: it tried to fit too many people and records in and after going into detail about the early records that used the 808 and the NYC scene, then jumped from the early to the late 80s. I don't know why Stephen and Bernard agreed to appear in it as no New Order songs get played (they are in it for about a minute or so), for NO completists theres a bit of Arthur Baker in it and John Robie gets a couple of brief mentions without being on screen. Phil Collins is in this more than New Order, FFS Big Grin Glad I saw it (I enjoyed it more for the Beastie Boys than New Order to be honest), but I doubt I would watch it again.
thanks 1 user thanked Ken Doherty for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/07/2020(UTC)
Debaser  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2020 13:55:07(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
I liked it. It felt like a cross between the history of house/dance series they did on BBC4 (without the later "EDM" festival stuff) and those other BBC4 shows "On Drums", "On Bass" etc. I think Hooky was in the bass episode and Steve in the drums episode IIRC.
So in the 808 docu, Steve & Bernard appear quite early on, sitting next to each other.

Steve: At the time it (the 808) was competing with the Lynn and the DMX which actually sounded like drums. A reviewer said (snooty voice) "the maracas sound like a horde of marching ants". Yeah, yeah that's it, that's what's *good* about it!
Bernard: laughs

Then on the subject of Afrika Bambataa:
When we heard Planet Rock, it was like a great twist on trans europe express, i loved the theme out if it. It was just like a fantastic new look at it. Kind of like Kraftwerk go tribal, if you'd ever imagined kraftwerk doing that. It was like a really clever twist.
Bernard: ...

And that was it for NO's contribution.

BTW, although Planet Rock was rightfully covered here, have a google of Afrika Bambataa's alleged "underage" stuff. If he was a bigger name these days I suspect he would be "cancelled" by now.

The Phil Collins stuff was tedious - particularly because Another Day In Paradise was the track they focussed on. Ugh.
I guess they wanted to show how it wasn't just hip hop electro stuff that used the 808, it was also mainstream artists like Collins or Marvin Gaye on Sexual Healing.

I didn't have a problem with the film length. 1 hour 30 seemed about right. If it was only an hour it would have been like a tv episode and not sold as a film.

I actually thought the Beasties got too much time though. It took them over three minutes to explain that they recorded some beats on to a tape and then played it backwards to get a "backmasked" beat to rap over. It took me about ten seconds to type that. Meanwhile the contributions of Todd Terry and Arthur Baker combined probably took up less of the film than that.

I'd like to see a similar documentay on the 303. I guess the difference is that the 303 was mostly used in acid/ acid house tracks, whereas the 808 was in hip hop, crunk, pop, house, techno and more. So they could cover all sorts of genres.

It was nice to see Mr K, the founder of Roland and inventor of the 808 at the end of the film. A very pragmatic, good humoured guy. He said they stopped making the 808
because they used to use faulty analogue transistors that had been discarded by others in order to make their distinctive sounds. Once he couldn't get the faulty transistors any more he couldn't make the 808.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
LostSiren  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2020 16:40:34(UTC)
LostSiren

Was thanked: 218 time(s) in 176 post(s)
My main problem was the shots of the 808 itself. The same buttons lighting every 5 minutes. They should have taken way more b-roll of the damn piece of equipment.
The fact at the end that Roland stopped making them b/c transistor manufacturing got better (so no noisy chips) was wild.
thanks 1 user thanked LostSiren for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#5 Posted : 04 July 2020 08:08:29(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ken Doherty Go to Quoted Post

I
Phil Collins is in this more than New Order, FFS [

Yes, that IS strange. The Other Two have far outstripped Phil Collins in terms of critical and commercial acclaim, longevity of career, and not having a stupid fucking name in the first fucking place. Next it'll be a history of music giving One Direction priority over Jimi Hendrix. So wrong.

Edited by user 04 July 2020 08:09:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Fotz  
#6 Posted : 04 July 2020 11:13:09(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Approaching Pavonis mons by balloon here, will update on further progress.

Edited by user 04 July 2020 11:14:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
The Shadow  
#7 Posted : 04 July 2020 11:52:13(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)

I'd like to see a similar documentay on the 303. I guess the difference is that the 303 was mostly used in acid/ acid house tracks, whereas the 808 was in hip hop, crunk, pop, house, techno and more. So they could cover all sorts of genres.

Agree documentary on the 303 would be well worth a watch. A sound I struggle to get bored with even after all these years, still sounds so alien.

thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
Fotz  
#8 Posted : 04 July 2020 13:10:31(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Everyone needs a 303
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Debaser  
#9 Posted : 06 July 2020 02:55:23(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Anyone not inclined to watch this thing on Amazon Prime may like to know that it's available on free streaming App, Plex. The app is in the Google Play store and available on Firestick too just by searching Plex with the magnifying glass. It's completely legal.
Might be on Apple too? (I don't do Apple).

Ps: content on Plex may vary according to location.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.