logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Artificial Flavoring  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2020 12:16:32(UTC)
Artificial Flavoring

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 125 post(s)
https://larecord.com/int...rprise-you-in-this-world

Someone just posted this old thing. What freekin bootleg show is hookys interviewer referring to?? I never saw steve do that to Gillian. "She was in the wrong key and he came out and put her finger sarcastically on the right one and rolled his eyes". Cant even fathom that. Seen barney sorta do that..but not steve.
Very oddly, strangely done interview. And extremely one-sided. But whatever. Just curious where the heck this happened. sounds like bullcrap.

thanks 1 user thanked Artificial Flavoring for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/02/2020(UTC)
Sponsor
50poundnote  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2020 12:56:16(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 889 time(s) in 503 post(s)
That interview is from 2013, at the height of his "old man yells at cloud" phase.

And if Hook's book about the Hacienda proves anything, it's that his memory can't be trusted. Even basic things in the book are wrong (and easily verified).
thanks 2 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
Artificial Flavoring on 06/02/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 12/02/2020(UTC)
Artificial Flavoring  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2020 13:05:22(UTC)
Artificial Flavoring

Originally Posted by: 50poundnote Go to Quoted Post
That interview is from 2013, at the height of his "old man yells at cloud" phase.

And if Hook's book about the Hacienda proves anything, it's that his memory can't be trusted. Even basic things in the book are wrong (and easily verified).

Like what? Just curious. haven't read that book yet. Next on list.

"Old man yells at cloud phase" lol LoL

50poundnote  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2020 13:14:42(UTC)
50poundnote

Originally Posted by: SeasoningPacket Go to Quoted Post
Like what? Just curious.

It came out in 2010, so it's been 10 years since I read it. Lots of dates, or he says *this* person did something when it was *that* person. I can't cite specifics, I just know there were enough factual errors that I didn't even bother to finish it.
thanks 2 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
Artificial Flavoring on 06/02/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 12/02/2020(UTC)
Artificial Flavoring  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2020 18:00:05(UTC)
Artificial Flavoring

Originally Posted by: SeasoningPacket Go to Quoted Post
Like what? Just curious.

It came out in 2010, so it's been 10 years since I read it. Lots of dates, or he says *this* person did something when it was *that* person. I can't cite specifics, I just know there were enough factual errors that I didn't even bother to finish it.

He screws up very obvious details in interviews, too. Contradictory as hell at times. Not saying barney doesnt...he has, too..but hooky surely is being a hypocrite.
perspexorange  
#6 Posted : 07 February 2020 00:29:42(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
I remember reading about that supposed ‘keyboard incident’ on these forums (someone mentioned it). I tried to find evidence of it by checking bootlegs etc.
Couldn’t find anything so think it must be either apocryphal or someone witnessed it at the time but it’s not apparent on the relevant bootleg.

But, yeah, that interviewer really sounds like he’s trying to stir shit. He was totally feeding into Hooky’s hatred.

I’m glad that things have calmed down these days, at least on the surface. I guess that the feelings are still the same, but we don’t get to read Hooky referring to Barney as El Twatto and Gillian as a ‘wonky table leg’. I’ve said it before, but Hook’s treatment of Gillian is the thing that bothers me the most about the split.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Artificial Flavoring on 07/02/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 12/02/2020(UTC)
Artificial Flavoring  
#7 Posted : 07 February 2020 02:25:01(UTC)
Artificial Flavoring

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
I remember reading about that supposed ‘keyboard incident’ on these forums (someone mentioned it). I tried to find evidence of it by checking bootlegs etc.
Couldn’t find anything so think it must be either apocryphal or someone witnessed it at the time but it’s not apparent on the relevant bootleg.

But, yeah, that interviewer really sounds like he’s trying to stir shit. He was totally feeding into Hooky’s hatred.

I’m glad that things have calmed down these days, at least on the surface. I guess that the feelings are still the same, but we don’t get to read Hooky referring to Barney as El Twatto and Gillian as a ‘wonky table leg’. I’ve said it before, but Hook’s treatment of Gillian is the thing that bothers me the most about the split.

Exactly.

And that interviewer hoes against true journalism by pushing his opinion, agenda, and absolutely trying to instigate and stir hookys hatred.
In fact... this interview might be the tipping point of me losing the rest of the little respect I still had for him. Those types he chooses to be around, too. Disgusting.
New order might not have been totally innocent in all this either..but at least they werent being like that and if hooky was being like that before the reformation...then I can kinda see why they did it how they did it. If I recall he was talking like that long before the reformation...and talking bullshit and nasty talk.
Ie Myspace etc.

Is there a way to look up those old bootleg discussions on here regarding that steve and Gillian incident? Or too far back? Any recollection of around what year or song?

Was the post you saw on here regarding this article or something someone brought up on their own accord?

Edited by user 07 February 2020 03:14:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange  
#8 Posted : 07 February 2020 09:18:31(UTC)
perspexorange

Ignore

Problems with editing post being rejected as SPAM.

Edited by user 07 February 2020 10:09:27(UTC)  | Reason: Missed the word "all" out so wanted to clarify...

perspexorange  
#9 Posted : 07 February 2020 10:11:36(UTC)
perspexorange

I only have a vague recollection of it.

I don’t think there was any reference to that article in the post on these boards. I got the impression that the person who was telling the anecdote had seen it firsthand.
However, it’s certainly possible that they were just relating that story from the article without actually quoting it.

I’d be quite interested in which gig it was (if it existed) as I think it’s a fairly amusing story. No criticism of Gillian though on my part. They were all capable of absolute howlers most gigs...

Except Steve. He was perfect, always. Big Grin
Artificial Flavoring  
#10 Posted : 07 February 2020 11:15:43(UTC)
Artificial Flavoring

I only have a vague recollection of it.

I don’t think there was any reference to that article in the post on these boards. I got the impression that the person who was telling the anecdote had seen it firsthand.
However, it’s certainly possible that they were just relating that story from the article without actually quoting it.

I’d be quite interested in which gig it was (if it existed) as I think it’s a fairly amusing story. No criticism of Gillian though on my part. They were all capable of absolute howlers most gigs...

Except Steve. He was perfect, always. Big Grin

Well..in all honesty...he usually was/is! Tongue

Could it be the hacienda 1983 show? Been ages since I saw it. Cant view the videos very well as we have crappy wifi where we are staying.

Found this after doing a search on google. It's a reply to a posting of the bbc 1984 show..but ot doesnt say any of the other stuff happened or even what show or shows:

***Mr. Moderator says:
03/09/2011 at 2:40 pm
I’m glad you brought up Gillian’s dress, BigSteve. At first I thought it was a frumpy housedress, until I noticed the pleats (plaits???). Then it started to look like an old-fashioned nurse’s outfit.

When I saw them live, probably around this time, the Stephen, drummer, often left his kit, which continued to hammer out that beat via programming (he mostly doubled the snare when he did play), to help Gillian, his woman, remember on what keys she needed to place her index fingers. It was the worst live show I’ve ever seen, at least the half dozen songs done in this style that I stuck around for before cutting out.

In terms of RIGHT and WRONG, I like the riff that Peter Hook plays on the bass but it’s all WRONG to hear those sounds coming out of a bass. Why not simply play guitar?****

Wonder how we could search on here. I've tried various search terms and combos and not much luck.

Edited by user 07 February 2020 11:17:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Artificial Flavoring  
#11 Posted : 07 February 2020 11:18:37(UTC)
Artificial Flavoring

Ignore

Problems with editing post being rejected as SPAM.

Happened to me before, too.
perspexorange  
#12 Posted : 07 February 2020 11:43:54(UTC)
perspexorange

Well, it looks like the interview (and that particular keyboard mishap) was mentioned on these two threads before:

http://forums.neworderon...posts&t=971#post8145
http://forums.neworderon...osts&t=1001#post8428

But, as I said before, I'm pretty sure the thread where I originally saw that anecdote mentioned didn't link to any article. It was told as if someone was recalling something they'd seen, but it could very easily have been them repeating something they'd read (i.e. the interview).

The only gig that really springs to mind where Gillian totally ballsed up the keyboards was the gig that some people think was Canterbury Court and others think was Fox Theatre in 1985. 'Chosen Time' was played in completely the wrong key. Barney ends up laughing most of the way through and says 'that's a completely new tune we've made-up' and 'I'm sure we'll get the next one right' or similar.

But that gig was absolutely full of monumental fuck-ups by all three of them (not Steve!). And I love it. Their fragility and unpredictability are the some of the many reasons that I adore this band.

You know, re-reading that article has kind of brought that bad taste back into my mouth. The interviewer was so clearly up Hook's arse. And that 'shagging' comment is frankly horrible.
50poundnote  
#13 Posted : 07 February 2020 12:04:18(UTC)
50poundnote

It's worth noting that a lot of that early synth technology was prone to going out of tune. New Order wasn't the only band to have "howlers." In the Synth Britannia documentary Andy McCluskey from OMD talks about them playing in a small French town, and their mellotron wasn't getting enough power because everyone in the city was cooking their evening meals, so it was out of tune.

I love the wildly unpredictable nature of that era. Screw DM using backing tapes - play it all live and hope for the best!
thanks 3 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
Artificial Flavoring on 07/02/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 12/02/2020(UTC), tarbox23 on 13/02/2020(UTC)
50poundnote  
#14 Posted : 07 February 2020 12:07:38(UTC)
50poundnote

Their fragility and unpredictability are the some of the many reasons that I adore this band.

Same! I've often described them as the most frustrating band to love. But they're also one of the most rewarding.
thanks 3 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
Artificial Flavoring on 07/02/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 12/02/2020(UTC), tarbox23 on 13/02/2020(UTC)
perspexorange  
#15 Posted : 07 February 2020 12:26:01(UTC)
perspexorange

It's worth noting that a lot of that early synth technology was prone to going out of tune. New Order wasn't the only band to have "howlers." In the Synth Britannia documentary Andy McCluskey from OMD talks about them playing in a small French town, and their mellotron wasn't getting enough power because everyone in the city was cooking their evening meals, so it was out of tune.

I love the wildly unpredictable nature of that era. Screw DM using backing tapes - play it all live and hope for the best!

Yep! From all accounts their equipment was massively unpredictable (or predictably fallible!) with some equipment 'fudged' to make it work with other synths.

There are examples of them 'fixing' things on stage or abandoning certain pieces of vital equipment and 'working around' the song to try and make up for this.

Of course, the above fixes would have been much easier if the band were sober. But where's the fun in that? Big Grin
thanks 3 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Artificial Flavoring  
#16 Posted : 07 February 2020 12:35:37(UTC)
Artificial Flavoring

Yep! From all accounts their equipment was massively unpredictable (or predictably fallible!) with some equipment 'fudged' to make it work with other synths.

There are examples of them 'fixing' things on stage or abandoning certain pieces of vital equipment and 'working around' the song to try and make up for this.

Of course, the above fixes would have been much easier if the band were sober. But where's the fun in that? Big Grin

That's part of what made them so great and so fun. The raw and unpredictable chaos.
They were just real.

That said...maybe this account about steve and Gillian was misinterpreted and he was just annoyed with the equipment not her. Hes rather goofy and one might not have gotten it. Who knows.
Johnny James  
#17 Posted : 07 February 2020 13:04:16(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)

The only gig that really springs to mind where Gillian totally ballsed up the keyboards was the gig that some people think was Canterbury Court and others think was Fox Theatre in 1985. 'Chosen Time' was played in completely the wrong key. Barney ends up laughing most of the way through and says 'that's a completely new tune we've made-up' and 'I'm sure we'll get the next one right' or similar.

It was definitely Hooky that was in the wrong that time, he played the whole song a tone out. Gillian was playing it right all through.

thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#18 Posted : 07 February 2020 13:20:07(UTC)
perspexorange

I didn't know that. I have to be honest though, I'm not great at working things like that out and am probably a little tone deaf. I know when things aren't right but can't always tell what's in tune and what isn't.

Sorry to Gillian for casting aspersions. I'm annoyed with myself now...
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Debaser  
#19 Posted : 07 February 2020 14:24:32(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2982 time(s) in 2067 post(s)
Is there anything you don't know about NO, Johnny James?

BTW I stumbled upon an old Weatherall Live At The Social mix recently. And there you are! Track 2.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Artificial Flavoring  
#20 Posted : 07 February 2020 19:03:08(UTC)
Artificial Flavoring

I didn't know that. I have to be honest though, I'm not great at working things like that out and am probably a little tone deaf. I know when things aren't right but can't always tell what's in tune and what isn't.

Sorry to Gillian for casting aspersions. I'm annoyed with myself now...

Wondering If the show in question might be this one described in hookys book. A denmark festival I guess around 86/87:

"Everyone was very worried but as we pulled her up we noticed her eyes rolling, and that she was pissed . . . as a fart! The bloody Elephant beers had struck. We dusted her off and got her to the stage where she slurred, ‘I’m all right. I’m all right.’ And then went on to play the keyboards with what Barney once again described as ‘A BLOODY ORANGE!’ The noise was terrible. Steve grinned and bore it, but at one point it got much too much for me and I had to go and hide behind my bass cabs, it was so embarrassing. Everything was way, way out of tune (which fortunately may have worked in this jazz setting). The roadies all had their hands over their ears, and believe you me they’d heard a few dodgy ’uns in their time. At one point I even pushed Barney out as he tried to join me behind the cabs, with him shouting, ‘No, no, let me in.’ I’d like to say the set flew by, but I can’t, it was excruciating, and at the end me and Barney stormed off, leaving Steve to escort the inebriated Gillian"

Does anyone know where to find it? I'm gathering its Copenhagen as listed on the live database here.

Edited by user 07 February 2020 19:04:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

lee  
#21 Posted : 08 February 2020 01:30:27(UTC)
lee

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 199 post(s)
He really is a horrible man isn't he

I actually remembered i'd read that interview when it came out once i started reading it and as someone else said it was probably his interviews that turned me against him

Shame really....i went to a couple of his low life/brotherhood gigs and really enjoyed them

He even had an outburst about bernard onstage in hull the day music complete came out

Total Knob head
thanks 2 users thanked lee for this useful post.
Artificial Flavoring on 08/02/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 12/02/2020(UTC)
perspexorange  
#22 Posted : 08 February 2020 01:36:27(UTC)
perspexorange

I believe he's referring to this gig at Aarhus Stadium, Aarhus, Denmark on 27/06/87:

https://www.mdmarchive.co.uk/artefact/3798/

Hooky says that Miles Davis also played there, so that ties up with this listing on setlist.fm:

https://www.setlist.fm/s...us-denmark-33f66c45.html

As far as I'm aware, this is one of those few gigs where a bootleg isn't in circulation. I'm guessing that this is probably due to the fact it was a jazz festival and, as Hooky puts it, was full of geriatrics (so not your typical NO fans/ bootleggers).

Not a lot seems to be known about this NO gig (probably due to there not being a bootleg) and it seems that most of the usual fans didn't make it out to Denmark.

PS also, I agree with £50note - let's try and keep the discussion of this to one thread.

Edited by user 08 February 2020 01:44:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange  
#23 Posted : 08 February 2020 01:41:35(UTC)
perspexorange

NB Judging by the fact that Miles Davis only did two numbers, it's possible that all bands at the festival only played 2-3 songs a piece.

This could explain why they were less cautious than usual with the pre-gig drinks; even if they got wasted, they'd not be out on stage for too long.

Edited by user 08 February 2020 01:42:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fotz  
#24 Posted : 08 February 2020 06:24:57(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3607 time(s) in 2612 post(s)
In this interview with New Order (edit: just Stephen & Gillian i think) from The Guardian in 2016 they talk about their chaotic and drunken appearance at the Aarhus Festival in Denmark, 1987.There's a photo of Barney on stage at some festival but it's not captioned exactly where but one of the commenters below thinks it was a festival in Denmark but possibly Roskilde one year, so maybe not Aarhus? Sorry, this still doesn't answer the question about whether or not the incident with Steve & Gillian happened or not.So not much help really! Still, an interesting little interview where the band talk about various festivals they've done.

UserPostedImage

New Order: Our Favourite Festivals - Guardian Interview, 2016

Edited by user 08 February 2020 06:29:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange on 08/02/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 12/02/2020(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#25 Posted : 08 February 2020 06:49:56(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Feels like I've been here before. http://forums.neworderon...Ss-A6bCgDc7mZfo#post4289
Feels like I've been here before.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.