logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perspexorange  
#1 Posted : 13 April 2019 02:53:32(UTC)
perspexorange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Trainspotter time again...

I've been listening to Movement quite a bit over the last week. It has reminded me that I've always wondered what lyrics Gillian was reading out at the end of 'Doubts Even Here'.
I thought it was probably religious, but I didn't know for sure and couldn't make out most of the words.

Lyrics websites didn't help, with the bits in question on these sites being basically made up.

I managed to make out a few words, and after a bit of hunting, worked out that it was probably from Psalm 77.
Not being a religious man, I had no idea that there are so many different translations / iterations of the Bible. Trying to actually find the exact words spoken during the song proved difficult. Most of the versions I read were similar but quite a bit different in places.

But I persevered (Why? Who knows? Boredom, probably) and I found them. Or as close to them as is possible without having the exact copy that Gillian held in her 20 year old hands.

So, for the first time ever on the internet (*), the words spoken by the lovely Ms Gilbert at the end of 'Doubts Even Here':

"I was dazed and I could not speak.
My thoughts went back to times long past.
I remembered forgotten years.
All night long, I was in deep distress.
As I lay thinking, my spirit was sunk in deep despair.
Will the Lord reject us for evermore and never again show favour?
Has his unfailing love now failed us utterly?
Must his promise time and again be unfullfilled?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?
Has he in anger withheld his mercies?
But then, O Lord, I call to mind thy deeds.
I recall thy wonderful acts in times gone by."

And here, as proof, is a copy of the Psalm:

UserPostedImage

Some things to note:

1) I can't guarantee that the first line is correct, as this is very low in the mix and I can't make out any words. I've just assumed this is what she said, based on the subsequent lines.
2) She throws ia second 'deep' in 77:6, which isn't in the copy above.
3) She misses out 77:10 - ''Has his right hand', I said, 'lost its grasp?' 'Does it hang powerless, the arm of the Most High?''

So there you go, the mystery (to me, at least) solved finally.

I'm really not sure why I took the effort to do this. Just another daft New Order 'project', I guess.

* Statement may not be strictly true. Terms and conditions apply. Caution - filling may be seeringly hot.

Edited by user 13 April 2019 02:56:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 7 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/04/2019(UTC), Fotz on 13/04/2019(UTC), tarbox23 on 14/04/2019(UTC), Ricardo on 14/04/2019(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 14/04/2019(UTC), Benj65 on 15/04/2019(UTC), Mike C. on 12/05/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
Fotzepolitic  
#2 Posted : 13 April 2019 03:35:13(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Great work, P. Thanks for making the effort. Solves the mystery of what Gillian says in the track. Will listen to the song again with those words in front of me, will make a lot more sense .
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/04/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#3 Posted : 13 April 2019 03:40:52(UTC)
perspexorange

Cheers.

It’s weird that, without knowing the lyrics, they’re really difficult to make out.

Once you know them, and have them in front of you, you can easily hear them (apart from that first line, of course).
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/04/2019(UTC), Mike C. on 12/05/2019(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#4 Posted : 13 April 2019 03:54:46(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
I remember in the early days of the Net, there was a page of transcribed NO lyrics. When they got to this part, they wrote, 'Gillian says something unintelligible.' Thanks for that.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#5 Posted : 13 April 2019 04:12:36(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
I remember in the early days of the Net, there was a page of transcribed NO lyrics. When they got to this part, they wrote, 'Gillian says something unintelligible.' Thanks for that.

The internet hasn’t moved on and has even gone backwards in this regard.

Back in the day, there were tonnes of ‘band’ lyrics websites. When I first got the ‘net, I used to like visiting them and checking lyrics I didn’t know. Sometimes they were slightly wrong (monumentally, in your example above, Michael) but there was a degree of love and effort put into them.

Now it’s all things like ‘metrolyrics’; generic lyric websites with no real knowledge of the lyrics.
If you read them, they’re usually at least 10% wrong.
I guess bands decided to withdraw their own sites due to people visiting these other sites (maybe they cut a deal, as the other sites are ad-laden and probably generate revenue).

Maybe those sort of sites are fine for bands like The Beatles, where the lyrics are well know. But not with bands like New Order.

‘Sunrise’ is the other song I always wanted to know lyrics to, back in the day. Those ones right at the end.
I think I worked out most of them, but some still escape me, even to this day.

thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#6 Posted : 13 April 2019 04:14:55(UTC)
Fotz

Yep, the words are clear as day now when i have them in front of me while listening.Though not the first couple of lines because Hooky's booming voice is present too.Doubts Even Here is one of only a few tracks on Movement where the production completely fits and compliments the song.Hannett at least got this one right.
Fotzepolitic  
#7 Posted : 13 April 2019 04:17:54(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post

The internet hasn’t moved on and has even gone backwards in this regard.

Back in the day, there were tonnes of ‘band’ lyrics websites. When I first got the ‘net, I used to like visiting them and checking lyrics I didn’t know. Sometimes they were slightly wrong (monumentally, in your example above, Michael) but there was a degree of love and effort put into them.

Now it’s all things like ‘metrolyrics’; generic lyric websites with no real knowledge of the lyrics.
If you read them, they’re usually at least 10% wrong.
I guess bands decided to withdraw their own sites due to people visiting these other sites (maybe they cut a deal, as the other sites are ad-laden and probably generate revenue).

Maybe those sort of sites are fine for bands like The Beatles, where the lyrics are well know. But not with bands like New Order.

‘Sunrise’ is the other song I always wanted to know lyrics to, back in the day. Those ones right at the end.
I think I worked out most of them, but some still escape me, even to this day.

Yeah i was going to say the same about Sunrise.The only other NO song that springs to mind where i've never fully worked out what's being said ( in the latter half of the track).

Michael Monkhouse  
#8 Posted : 13 April 2019 04:47:23(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

It's interesting how the Net used to feel far more authoritative in the early naughties and not such a free for all. I actually fell for 18.10 at http://www.worldinmotion.net/newsroom/1999.htm and when GR finally emerged I couldn't wank out if this was a hoax (most likely), stuff recorded but rejected (least likely given their output), early versions of GR (likely e.g. Blue Velvet - Crystal, and they often dick about with names)... I used to be interested in Sylvia Plath and would actually print forums as if they were as worthwhile as the books. The truth hit me when someone posted the theory that Plath was molested by her father. There was a huge reaction - Do you have access to personal letters or diaries, or know someone who spoke to her confidentially? This could revolutionise the criticism' - nothing... Finally the knob expounded, 'Nope, but she was well fucked up, some shit musta bin going on.' Pure Oxbridge.
I suspect the end of Sunrise is improvised.

Edited by user 13 April 2019 04:50:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#9 Posted : 13 April 2019 08:47:12(UTC)
perspexorange

Nowadays though, because we know there's so much shit on the internet, we now doubt everything we read... Kind of the opposite now.

Yep, you're probably right about Sunrise. I've heard numerous live versions and they mostly contain the same 'shortened' end bit. Some of them with a little additional improvisation.
I don't think I've ever heard a live version which includes the 'full' end lyrics, so guess Barney must've sung 'em once on this studio version and either:

A) forgot them when performing live (largely due to imbibing); or
B) couldn't be arsed to sing them

50:50 likelihood, I would think, so take your pick.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Baggie Boiler on 14/04/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 15/04/2019(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#10 Posted : 14 April 2019 02:07:52(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
doubt everything we read... .

Yes, doubts even here. (How do I do it?)
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Baggie Boiler on 14/04/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 15/04/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#11 Posted : 12 May 2019 06:48:03(UTC)
perspexorange

I decided to make a video for the newly deciphered lyrics.

Was a bit difficult to sync up the text to the words spoken, due to my severe lack of video-making skills.
But it came out all right.

Here you go, if interested:

Edited by user 12 May 2019 13:55:23(UTC)  | Reason: Slightly changed the video to include the first line.

thanks 3 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Mike C. on 12/05/2019(UTC), Col72 on 13/05/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 16/05/2019(UTC)
dallywhitty  
#12 Posted : 16 May 2019 05:28:57(UTC)
dallywhitty

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Wow, nice work! Movement is my favourite album (and Doubts Even Here my favourite track on it), so as you can imagine, it's always frustrated me how indecipherable Gillian's vocals are - and how inaccurate a lot of the lyrics sites are!
thanks 1 user thanked dallywhitty for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/05/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#13 Posted : 16 May 2019 07:56:02(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: dallywhitty Go to Quoted Post
Wow, nice work! Movement is my favourite album (and Doubts Even Here my favourite track on it), so as you can imagine, it's always frustrated me how indecipherable Gillian's vocals are - and how inaccurate a lot of the lyrics sites are!

No problem!

Was fun to do and, ultimately, pretty rewarding.

I love the track too. I'm a big fan of the always classy Ms Gilbert and would love to have heard her vocals on other tracks. Maybe on the next LP (if they ever make one).
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/05/2019(UTC)