logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perspexorange  
#1 Posted : 30 January 2019 06:38:32(UTC)
perspexorange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
For those of us old enough to remember, 'Smash Hits' magazine (a UK publication) used to print lyrics to popular songs within their pages.
New Order songs (and Joy Division ones, occasionally) appeared in their pages a number of times.

Just as a bit of daftness, I thought I'd sling all the ones that I know of together in one handy-dandy collection.

I have most of these in my (frankly massive, but terribly cluttered) cuttings collection, but I've mainly sourced the scans from the internet.

Have a look at 'em. Or don't.
(To be honest, I'm not sure why I did it; so feel free to shake your head and ignore this post.)

But, if interested, get 'em here (link is valid for 2 weeks):

https://www.mediafire.co...27_%28Lyrics%29.pdf/file

Just out of interest, the only New Order singles up to 'Regret' that don't appear to have had lyrics printed for them are:

'Procession' / 'Everything's Gone Green', 'Murder', 'Sub-Culture' & 'Run'.

I'm assuming that Run must have been missed due to its obscurity.
Sub-Culture was possibly excluded due to the 'shaft' line (Smash Hits was a very 'kid friendly' music paper).
The lack of lyrics for 'Murder' probably precluded inclusion (I can't see them printing the '2001' / 'Caligula' dialogue).
Not sure about Procession / Everything's Gone Green. The paper was very much focussed on 'pop' / 'mainstream', with little emphasis on 'indie' stuff, so maybe that 'double a-side' single was a bit too obscure (although they did review it within the pages of one of their issues).

I'm also unsure whether or not lyrics to any of the singles after 'Regret' were ever printed. 'Ruined In A Day', 'World' and 'Spooky' seem prime candidates. So too, 'True Faith '94, '1963-95' and 'Blue Monday '95' (they printed lyrics for the 1988 version).

Obviously, if you know of any others, just let me know.

Edited by user 08 February 2019 13:08:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 30/01/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
perspexorange  
#2 Posted : 30 January 2019 06:47:58(UTC)
perspexorange

Just a few quick notes:

1) They are all in date order. The reason that 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' seems out of order is because it was released in 1983, so is nestled in just before 'Thieves Like Us'.

2) Blue Monday features twice. Once in 1983 and once following the 1988 remix.

3) The real oddity here is the inclusion of 'The Eternal'. Just to give this a bit of context, this was a selection by none other than Robert Smith. There is an accompanying article that went with it (which I cut from my booklet). If you're interested in reading about how much Bob loves Joy Division (and why wouldn't you be?), here is the complete article:

UserPostedImage

Maybe explains why him and Simon ripped off the band so many times...
Fotzepolitic  
#3 Posted : 30 January 2019 07:26:41(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3607 time(s) in 2612 post(s)
Thanks for download link, will try it later.

The ones I remember from Smash Hits were Thieves Like Us, Perfect Kiss and that one with Robert Smith talking about The Eternal. That “ it seems to sum up the hopelessness of life “ guff from Smith haha
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#4 Posted : 30 January 2019 08:10:21(UTC)
perspexorange

No probs.
Hey, if even one person downloads it, I'll be happy!

Yeah - Bob talked some rubbish. To be fair, I think he was in a dark place around the time of that interview. He was off his face mostly and wasn't speaking to Simon, I think (which seems to be a prerequisite for him in order to be happy).

I like bits of The Cure (LPs 2-4 & Disintegration) but, frankly, most of their more poppy stuff was, IMHO, pretty awful.
Fotzepolitic  
#5 Posted : 30 January 2019 08:54:10(UTC)
Fotz

It’s funny, i was thinking about those old Smash Hits lyrics things just recently. I cut out the Thieves, Perfect Kiss and The Eternal ones at the time but they’re long gone now. That bit from Robert Smith about how The Eternal evokes the uselessness of life always chuckled me and stuck in my head. Though I’d remembered it as the “hopelessness” of life, not “uselessness”. He came across a bit 6th form pretentiousness when he said that haha . Have liked some Cure stuff like the Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me album with Just Like Heaven etc but lost interest in them with and after Friday I’m In Love.
Fotzepolitic  
#6 Posted : 30 January 2019 09:03:18(UTC)
Fotz

Reminds me also of reading a piece about James Dean Bradfield of the Manics talking about The Eternal. He said he was travelling at speed in a car in Tokyo once and The Eternal came on the radio and the whole world seemed to slow to a stop. I think he said once that their song The Everlasting was their attempt at creating something like The Eternal. Similar title also.And the title of their song Design For Life was very similar in feel and vibe to JD’s An Ideal For Living
perspexorange  
#7 Posted : 30 January 2019 09:10:45(UTC)
perspexorange

I think I've only bought one thing recorded by them 'post-Disintegration' and that was one of the singles from 'Wild Mood Swings'. 'Mint Car' possibly?
I say 'possibly', as I bought it 'unheard', played it once, then filed it away, never to be touched again. I can't remember which of the singles it was or, indeed, how any of the tracks sound on that album.

A few years back, I bought the 'deluxe editions' of all the pre-Wish LPs, and have toyed with the idea of buying the later LPs. However, I decided to hang fire on these until 'deluxe' ones came out. Which never did.
Rumours are that 'Wish' is in the pipeline, following on from last year's 'All Mixed Up' reissue. I'll probably get that, but I'm in no rush.

As regards the New Order lyrics thing, I came across one on a website yesterday and kind of went on a bit of a 'down the rabbit hole' quest with it.
Managed to find most of them online, but was missing 'Round & Round' and 'World In Motion'. So, as I was paying a visit to my mum's, I thought I'd have a browse through all the cuttings I have stored there.
Low and behold, I found the two I was missing and scanned them.

Weird how the brain plays tricks. I could only clearly remember having three or four of them and was convinced that I didn't have any of the others.
Turns out that I was only missing physical copies of 'The Eternal', 'Confusion' and half of 'The Perfect Kiss' (I have the accompanying picture, just not the lyrics, which presumably got separated at some point).

A bit of fun, anyway. I may have a go at a similar project at some point. LP / single reviews maybe etc.

Fotzepolitic  
#8 Posted : 30 January 2019 12:47:37(UTC)
Fotz

Downloaded the PDF. Many thanks, perspexorange.I do recall a few of them from back in the day.

Good to see some of the pics that accompany the lyrics.I do however have a few issues with Smash Hits' version of certain lines and words.I could spent a fair bit of time listing their errors (or maybe we hear different words?) but, hey, someone once upon a time took the trouble to sit down and listen to the songs and try and make out what Bernard was singing so maybe i shouldn't be too criticising Smile

Edited by user 30 January 2019 12:48:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

negative1  
#9 Posted : 30 January 2019 19:00:31(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
Thanks for putting this together. Appreciate it.

later
thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 31/01/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#10 Posted : 31 January 2019 01:29:52(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
Downloaded the PDF. Many thanks, perspexorange.I do recall a few of them from back in the day.

Good to see some of the pics that accompany the lyrics.I do however have a few issues with Smash Hits' version of certain lines and words.I could spent a fair bit of time listing their errors (or maybe we hear different words?) but, hey, someone once upon a time took the trouble to sit down and listen to the songs and try and make out what Bernard was singing so maybe i shouldn't be too criticising Smile

Yeah - I know what you mean. Looking at the 'Confusion' lyrics, they obviously went to a lot of trouble. 'What a day' indeed. (Talking of which, I never heard that line as being that. It's possible I guess).

There one line in 'Temptation' that I always thought of as 'It was emerging to myself, I do believe". However, in recent months, I've heard Barney sing the word 'urgent' live rather than 'emerging', so believed I got the word wrong. Looks like 'Smash Hits' either got it wrong themselves or I was correct all these years.

'Temptation' is a song where, I think, he's changed the words subtly as the song has progressed and metamorphosed into the track we all know.
Although I love the new (i.e. 1987 version), I still long for them to perform it like it was back in '82. That 12", and the accompanying live performances, we're just intense and everything I love about the band.

Originally Posted by: negative1 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for putting this together. Appreciate it.

later

No problem. Glad you like!

I've always wanted to scan my complete cuttings and put together my version of 'A History In Cuttings' in several volumes, but the task would be a massive undertaking.

I have a tonne of stuff that most people won't have seen (i.e. not just stuff from NME, MM, Sounds, RM, Smash Hits etc.). Things like appearances in fanzines, one-off magazines, music industry magazines etc. I was a bit of a rabid collector back in the 90s and went on a big purge collecting every article I could find or I knew about.

I've envisioned that, if I was to do it, I'd do it in 'year' books; one book representing a single year. The first year would be 1978 (to include the two or three articles I have from 1977). I couldn't imagine me going past 1995 or so, though, as it gets a little ridiculous at this point.

It would be really nice to get them archived in this way, for posterity and to 'share the love'.
But the whole thing's a pipe dream. I'd need a proper scanner and a lot more hours in the day.

Maybe one day.
Debaser  
#11 Posted : 31 January 2019 07:04:45(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2982 time(s) in 2067 post(s)
Neil Tennant was editor of Smash Hits back in the early to mid 80's wasn't he. That probably helped NO's chances of having lyrics featured.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#12 Posted : 31 January 2019 09:07:42(UTC)
perspexorange

Yep. You’re right and I know he went on record as saying that NO were / are his favourite band.

That being said, whilst hunting through the cuttings I came across a review he did for either PC&L or Low-Life where he gave it 5 out 10.

May have been having an off-day, I suppose.

I always wonder with some of these reviewers whether they regret certain reviews. After all, LPs aren’t always ‘immediate’. Also, the passage of time can highlight things that weren’t apparent at the time.

Did people realise just how ground-breaking PC&L was at the time? Probably not.

Edited by user 31 January 2019 09:41:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 02/02/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#13 Posted : 01 February 2019 11:59:18(UTC)
Fotz

What’s all that “Acid man said acid man” and “ Acid box it man” ? I know Fine Tine was released around the time of Acieed! but I’ve never heard any acid box it man stuff on the track.And Smash Hits state “ You got a lot of Technique” where I hear “ You got luurve Technique “

Ceremony- Smash Hits thought it was “ This why it gets unnerving “ whereas I hear “ This why events unnerve me “

True Faith - Smash Hits - “ A circumstance of liberty “ I hear “ A sudden sense of liberty “

Round & Round- Smash Hits- “ A reel to be shown “ I hear “ Too real to be shown “

Ah well, some of differences are understandable I guess. But you have to take yer hat off to the person who counted the amount of “ra ta ta ta ta ta hey “ in Confusion and maybe they’re right with the “What a day” at the end. I never did quite work out what that was .

And anyway, I can’t talk, when I was younger I used to think it was “ And December rides high” not “ Resentment rides high” in Love Will Tear Us Apart. My thinking was it used December as a metaphor, as in a cold chill pervades the relationship and rides high.

Ah these cold winter nights really fly by.

Edited by user 01 February 2019 12:04:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 03/02/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#14 Posted : 01 February 2019 12:16:24(UTC)
Fotz

Ah scrub my comment about Fine Time. I get the “acid box it man” thing now. Just listened again. Never thought that’s what it is but now and forever more I’ll always hear “Acid box it man” ( repeat 8 times).
perspexorange  
#15 Posted : 01 February 2019 12:32:05(UTC)
perspexorange

What’s all that “Acid man said acid man” and “ Acid box it man” ? I know Fine Tine was released around the time of Acieed! but I’ve never heard any acid box it man stuff on the track.And Smash Hits state “ You got a lot of Technique” where I hear “ You got luurve Technique “

Ceremony- Smash Hits thought it was “ This why it gets unnerving “ whereas I hear “ This why events unnerve me “

True Faith - Smash Hits - “ A circumstance of liberty “ I hear “ A sudden sense of liberty “

Round & Round- Smash Hits- “ A reel to be shown “ I hear “ Too real to be shown “

Yep. Some screwy lyrics in there.

Fine Time - I've heard a few people think it's 'a lot of technique'. Nah! I'm definitely with you - 'Love Technique' all the way. In fact, my mate only today sent me a clip of that very bit. He isolated the vocal and pitched it up to normal. Definitely 'Love'. (PS This reminded me of the time, back in the early 90s when we reversed 'Don't Do It', just to hear the much rumoured 'bad bits')

Ceremony & Round & Round - Again, I'm with you 100%.

True Faith - I've never been too sure if it's 'sudden' or 'certain'. I usually think it's the latter. Certainly not 'circumstance'.

Just trying to think of misheard NO lyrics by me. The only two that spring to mind:

BLT - Used to think it was 'I feel found out; I feel good' instead of 'I feel fine and I feel good'.

Spooky - I used to think that the opening 'Bass Mechanic' bit was 'Hey...Spoooookkkkeeeeeyyyy'. I have no idea why. Listening back to it, it's very obviously 'Bass Mechanic'. I must have been on something strong at the time.

Edited by user 01 February 2019 12:36:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fotzepolitic  
#16 Posted : 01 February 2019 12:44:07(UTC)
Fotz

Oh i used to think for years that it was “Hey.. spookeeeey.... yaaaaaa!!” In Spooky.

One of the common debates over the years was of course Run and the tan/ town thing. I always heard “ You don’t get a tan like this for nothing” and still believe that. Makes sense to me.

I did go through a phase of wondering if,in Blue Monday, Barney actually sang “ Anchored in a shallow bay” rather than “ I can and shall obey “. It kind of made sense after “ I see a ship in the harbour “.

Edited by user 01 February 2019 12:58:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange  
#17 Posted : 01 February 2019 13:03:01(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Yep. You’re right and I know he went on record as saying that NO were / are his favourite band.

That being said, whilst hunting through the cuttings I came across a review he did for either PC&L or Low-Life where he gave it 5 out 10.

May have been having an off-day, I suppose.

I always wonder with some of these reviewers whether they regret certain reviews. After all, LPs aren’t always ‘immediate’. Also, the passage of time can highlight things that weren’t apparent at the time.

Did people realise just how ground-breaking PC&L was at the time? Probably not.

Here are a couple of Tennant's reviews. What does he say about his 'favourite' band's defining album:

UserPostedImage

OMD?!! Crikey. That's a low blow (but to be fair, at the time, OMD weren't quite the shit-fest that they later turned out to be).

Two years later and he's warmed to them, considerably:

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 01 February 2019 13:08:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/02/2019(UTC), negative1 on 02/02/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#18 Posted : 01 February 2019 13:07:59(UTC)
perspexorange

Yep - I definitely think 'tan' was right.

Just thought of another:

Touched By The Hand Of God - I always heard 'never knew it, but I curse I was', but it's pretty obvious to me now that it's 'but of course I was'.
Fotzepolitic  
#19 Posted : 01 February 2019 13:37:48(UTC)
Fotz

Well, regarding that review of P,C&L by Neil Tennant I’ve sometimes been a little suspicious of certain talking heads that in relatively more recent years gush about how great New Order always were.The likes of Pete Tong probably turned his nose up at the thought of playing a New Order track in 1983 but these days you’ll find him saying how innovative and brilliant they were back then.
perspexorange  
#20 Posted : 01 February 2019 14:48:32(UTC)
perspexorange

Agreed. As mentioned earlier, I think there are probably reviewers out there who would be a little embarrassed by some of their work many years later.

Tennant is a case in point. I’ll cut him some slack though as the PSBs were rather wonderful back in the day (first 3 LPs). And I could never be cross with the man that wrote ‘Rent’ which is, in my opinion, one of the finest, most beautiful songs ever written.

Interesting point to the ‘Low Life’ review is him mentioning the ‘humour in the words’; a shared trait that he would soon be synonymous with.
Debaser  
#21 Posted : 01 February 2019 17:19:51(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2982 time(s) in 2067 post(s)
...In fact, my mate only today sent me a clip of that very bit. He isolated the vocal and pitched it up to normal. Definitely 'Love'. (PS This reminded me of the time, back in the early 90s when we reversed 'Don't Do It', just to hear the much rumoured 'bad bits')

And did "Luuuurve Technique" sound like Bernard at normal pitch? Also what did the bad bits turn out to be?

True Faith - I've never been too sure if it's 'sudden' or 'certain'.

Snap.

I did go through a phase of wondering if,in Blue Monday, Barney actually sang “ Anchored in a shallow bay” rather than “ I can and shall obey “. It kind of made sense after “ I see a ship in the harbour “.

When I was a kid (1983) I thought it was "I can in shallow bay" which doesn't even make sense. The shall obey/shallow bay mix up is one that I still hear people making to this day.

Agreed. As mentioned earlier, I think there are probably reviewers out there who would be a little embarrassed by some of their work many years later.

Tennant is a case in point. I’ll cut him some slack though as the PSBs were rather wonderful back in the day ...

Well, regarding that review of P,C&L by Neil Tennant I’ve sometimes been a little suspicious of certain talking heads that in relatively more recent years gush about how great New Order always were.The likes of Pete Tong probably turned his nose up at the thought of playing a New Order track in 1983 but these days you’ll find him saying how innovative and brilliant they were back then.

You two remind me of the judges from the Muppet Show!!

In Pete Tong's defence (and I don't know why I remember this, I barely know what I had for dinner last night), I remember Tong playing My Pleasure by Viola Wills/My Friend Sam back in '92 and saying it sounded quite New Order-y. I think he meant it as a compliment at the time. I suppose he meant the synth bass line. I'm prepared to believe he's always been a fan of the dance-y side of NO (well, "always" since say '83), athough I don't know about the more guitar-y stuff.

Incidentally I listened to the first 30 minutes of Tong's show tonight and was pleasantly surprised. He seems to have moved away from the Vegas-friendly EDM he was playing a couple of years back and started playing better stuff again.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#22 Posted : 02 February 2019 01:43:17(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

Haha, good one. Waldorf & Statler. Now there’s an idea for a new username. I could be Waldorf and perspexorange could be Statler.

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Debaser on 02/02/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 02/02/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#23 Posted : 02 February 2019 03:34:49(UTC)
perspexorange

Haha, good one. Waldorf & Statler. Now there’s an idea for a new username. I could be Waldorf and perspexorange could be Statler.

I've always considered myself more of a Beaker! Smile

And did "Luuuurve Technique" sound like Bernard at normal pitch? Also what did the bad bits turn out to be?

It kind of does sound like Barn. Well, like him doing an impression. I seem to think I read an interview with him back in the day when he said he was channelling Barry White whilst singing those bits.

As regards 'Don't Do It', I had once heard that it contained reversed quotes from The Exorcist, so we put it to the test.
As neither of us had seen the film and the fact that this was pre-internet, we didn't know any of the lines from the movie or what to look out for. There were a few bits that we couldn't quite make out but what we did hear (which I think is the bit right at the end) was the line 'Your mother s**ks c**ks in Hell!'. I've since learned that this is considered a pretty famous line from the movie (I've still never seen it, so can't comment).

As an aside, talking of horror, I've always found 'Don't Do It' quite disturbing. Brilliant, but disturbing.
That 'we're going to get you' line creeped me out the first time I listened to the song on headphones. It still kind of does.

Bloody Hell - In '88-'89, New Order were just incredible. The nine tracks on 'Technique', 'Don't Do It' and 'Best & Marsh'. Any band would've given their eye teeth to write just one of those tracks

In Pete Tong's defence (and I don't know why I remember this, I barely know what I had for dinner last night), I remember Tong playing My Pleasure by Viola Wills/My Friend Sam back in '92 and saying it sounded quite New Order-y. I think he meant it as a compliment at the time. I suppose he meant the synth bass line. I'm prepared to believe he's always been a fan of the dance-y side of NO (well, "always" since say '83), athough I don't know about the more guitar-y stuff.

Decent tune!
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Debaser on 02/02/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 02/02/2019(UTC)
spooky  
#24 Posted : 02 February 2019 13:06:00(UTC)
spooky

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 63 post(s)
since New Order never bothered to include their lyrics in their albums in the 80's, i only knew(or thought i knew) them from repeat listening. i'm sure i got a few words wrong here and there, but i justified it because Barney would make up lyrics on his own while performing. before he started using teleprompters, he admitted(back in the 90's) that he couldn't remember his own lyrics.
thanks 1 user thanked spooky for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#25 Posted : 02 February 2019 14:33:40(UTC)
perspexorange

Ah... I miss the days when they'd mess it up so spectacularly.

On any given gig, you'd get at least one of the following:

a) Barney completely missing his cue
b) Barney singing the same verse twice.
b) Barney chucking in lyrical 'variations', either when he'd forgotten the words, or felt like being contrary and making stuff up on the spot ('I've got a cock like the M1', 'Love Juice', "I had a wank from a girl with a spotty back' etc.).
c) Hooky or Gillian or Barney being out of key.
d) Barney's voice fluctuating wildly, one moment to the next. From deep in his boots to falsetto (see Age Of Consent, Temptation and Blue Monday).
e) The drum machine / synths / sequencers breaking down or refusing to talk to each other.
f) Barney (again) adding exceedingly loud guitar parts where they really weren't needed, completely drowning out the sequencers.
g) Hooky / Barney having some ongoing argument with a 'punter' in the crowd / sound engineer / lighting technician / anyone who happened to piss them off etc.

And I'm not even joking... I really do miss the haphazardness of a New Order gig (we probably all do).

Everything's far too polished now.
Don't get me wrong, I still love the gigs they do today, but there was something incredible about them back in the day.
Gigs teetering on the brink. Collapsing into chaos at any given moment.

I can't think of (m)any other bands so cavalier in their approach to gigs. Crazy when you think that, in the studio, they probably spent hours / days perfecting songs. Only to potentially mess 'em up live, on a whim. Fantastic stuff!

New Order. Always unpredictable. Always absolutely brilliant.