logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andy  
#26 Posted : 10 November 2018 00:39:36(UTC)
Andy

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
The Japanese One  
#27 Posted : 10 November 2018 03:40:10(UTC)
The Japanese One

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Had to miss out this one due to the unforeseen circumstances. Never been to Ally Pally, one venue I have for a long time hoped to visit and experience a gig there, even though unpopular among the concert-goers. Sounds like a cracking show. Found this comment on setlist.fm, “Best performance I’ve seen from new order” — was it that good?
thanks 1 user thanked The Japanese One for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#28 Posted : 10 November 2018 03:52:28(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Was a good gig.
Both audience and band seemed to be enjoying it.

I too wish they’d do less JD songs too (although Decades was spectacular). I just get a bit annoyed that LWTUA is played like a rock anthem, a la Wonderwall. It’s an immensely personal song and should be more downbeat. I don’t want to hear ‘whoops’, ‘come on’ etc.

Minor niggle though.
The band were awesome. Always nice to hear Love Vigilantes (I think I’ve only personally seen them play it once before). Regret and Crystal back in the set. Great to hear Academic, which I hadn’t experienced before.

Personal highlights for me were the afore-mentioned Love Vigilantes and Decades. Plus Temptation sounded brilliant, as did Blue Monday booming out. Vanishing Point too, obviously.

Finally, although I’m not a massive fan of BLT (I’ve heard it once too many times), I always think it sounds fantastic live.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#29 Posted : 10 November 2018 04:01:19(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: The Japanese One Go to Quoted Post
Had to miss out this one due to the unforeseen circumstances. Never been to Ally Pally, one venue I have for a long time hoped to visit and experience a gig there, even though unpopular among the concert-goers. Sounds like a cracking show. Found this comment on setlist.fm, “Best performance I’ve seen from new order” — was it that good?

It was technically very good.
Maybe too good - I kind of miss Barney fucking things up (although he did mess up the lyrics to Decades, as mentioned above). :-)
There was always the risk, back in the day, that the band were either awesome or terrible-but-still-awesome depending on their mood / technical problems / size of the backstage rider. Nowadays things are a bit more polished.

What I will say is that it was probably the happiest I’d ever seen the band. Although there wasn’t much banter, there really seemed like an enthusiastic energy about them. Tom and Phil seemed to be loving it. Barney too.

The crowd seemed to really love the energy and it was also probably the best response from a crowd I’ve seen in the modern age of the band.

A great night. Glad I went. Long train journey home now.

Edited by user 10 November 2018 04:04:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fotzepolitic  
#30 Posted : 10 November 2018 04:46:53(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Looks a decent setlist.I didn't attend.Maybe next year.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Debaser  
#31 Posted : 10 November 2018 05:21:11(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The Japanese One Go to Quoted Post
Found this comment on setlist.fm, “Best performance I’ve seen from new order” — was it that good?

It was certainly very slick. And long.

Originally Posted by: kcspurs Go to Quoted Post
Got to the venue at 2030. We missed the Start. I was expecting them to come on after 9pm.

I tried to warn y'all on this very thread!

Further Debaser thoughts & musings:

That setlist went up really quickly. Maybe someone was doing it on their phone at the gig? Those tracks took over two hours to perform: 8.30pm to 10.45.

Having missed the MIF gigs, I was thrilled to get Subculture and Vanishing Point in the setlist. Not entirely surprised, but thrilled. My first ever experience of those ones live.

This may sound obvious, but it really is so much better at the gig than when you watch back on Youtube etc. I moan about Bernard's vocal stylings on here sometimes but was pretty happy with him last night. There may be no need for Youtube clips of last night though, as there were professional cameras at the gig. Both on tripod and shoulder mounted in the crowd. The question now is: where do we see the recorded results? I think the days of Live DVDs are fading away. Amazon or Apple Music exclusive perhaps?

Vanishing Point had a different ending to the MIF (or Technique) version. Either that or the acoustics were weird were I was!
Blue Monday sounded different (from 2015) to me too . Specifically the bit at around 4.48 on the record - the little bassy synth 'solo'. Unless that was also the acoustics?

True Faith no longer has the "Perfecto" piano. When did they drop that?

Double Decker london busses with NEW ORDER on the front are the best busses!

PEOPLE TALKING!
Originally Posted by: kcspurs Go to Quoted Post
Behind these girls who kept talking during the first half of the concert.

It wasn't just behind you, it was almost impossible to get away from. I honestly think some people just go to these things because it's "an event", and one of their friends suggested it. Or they know two songs: TF and BM, and they're just waiting for those. The rest of the time they want to talk. They don't know the songs and they're not interested in listening. Alas, you can't instruct a sizable portion of the crowd to shut up (unless you're on stage wth a mic) so you have to suffer it. It was the one thing that pissed me off during Subculture and VP. I wanted to drink them in, not listen to to some Spanish people yammering away at a million miles an hour. Grr!!! Evil

I miss the days when more people bought records and less people went to gigs. The tickets were cheaper and those who went were there because they were into the band, not because they have disposable income that they don't know what to do with.
Rant over.

Disorder totally got me in the mood for JD last night. I'm not sure the rest of the crowd agreed, but I was absolutely loving that track and it made me want some more guitary/human sounding tacks. However what we got from tracks 8 through to 18 was incredibly slick and synthy. A lot of those synths were, I presume pre-programmed. So the complete opposite to the very humanly-played Disorder. I mean obviously the songs were brilliant NO songs and a lot of good work has been done in the programming - hence the slick sound, but as Perspex Orange suggests, there's not much room for human fuck ups here.

Tom's Bass: is it sounding less Hook-like (in tone) on the old NO songs than when he first started, or is that just my imagination?

At least when we did get to TF,BM and Temptation, everyone seemed to join in. Even the 'casuals'. Imagine if it had been like that for the whole gig! [But some people actually left between BM and Temptation. Pastic Fans! - no not the song] Temptation even got the "oohs" going in a way I haven't heard for a long time now. Better than Brixton 2015, that's for sure.

And then we got the JD encore. Quite frankly I was happy to see the 'casuals' piss off. BYYEEE! It felt like just genuine music fans were there for the final three songs. And again I was totally in the mood for JD and it felt like a nice change from all that slickness.

Ian imagery: I have mixed feeling on this. On the one hand it sort of puts him on stage with the rest of the band. On the other hand, it perhaps turns him into a T-shirt icon. And I still think the "Joy Division forever" thing is just CORNY (to use a Bernard expression).

As for the venue, unless you live in North London it's a pain to get to, but a reward when you do. Lovely space, great views of the city, and it offers some room to dance (unless you were squashed down the front - which Bernard showed some concern for). I like the intimacy of Brixton Academy but 2015 was so packed you couldn't move.

Overall: good gig as long as you like things slick. Eyes peeled for the video.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Debaser  
#32 Posted : 10 November 2018 05:30:32(UTC)
Debaser

^ I've tried to edit my comments about True Faith above, but the forum is giving me that daft "SPAM" message. So my edit was going to say:
Listening to the NOMC 2015 version of TF, the piano was gone by then.

Oh also, Bus:

Mrs Cunningham I believe. About ten seconds in you can see one of the pro camera guys.

Lots more clips and pics on twitter. In fact "New Order" was a top 5 trend on twitter when I went to bed last night, along with #NewOrderAllyPally.

Edited by user 10 November 2018 06:58:50(UTC)  | Reason: Bus

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#33 Posted : 10 November 2018 09:08:18(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

Ian imagery: I have mixed feeling on this. On the one hand it sort of puts him on stage with the rest of the band. On the other hand, it perhaps turns him into a T-shirt icon. And I still think the "Joy Division forever" thing is just CORNY (to use a Bernard expression).

I have mixed feelings about this too. I think it’s a bit overdone and I think they should scale it back a little. Just show the Atmosphere video (with it’s shots of Ian), like they do, during the performance of that song.
But to keep showing various images throughout the JD numbers feels a little OTT and forced.

It also smacks a little of ‘hagiolatry’ (word of the day, folks!).

As regards talking, there wasn’t much by me thankfully. What did bloody annoy me though was the tallest guy in the audience, initially standing next to me, then gravitated later in the gig to directly in front of me.

And then he wouldn’t keep his head still. I was trying to peer around him, but he literally kept moving every 5 seconds or so, for no bloody reason. It also didn’t help that a guy just off to his right (and partially obscuring my vision when Mr Tall was moving his head) had the BIGGEST HAIR for an old guy I’d ever seen. He was probably only 5ft10, but his wispy hair added a good 4 inches.

Oh, and the other highly annoying thing is having to watch half the gig through everybody’s bloody camera phones.

Grrr.

I quite like watching some of the more “professionally” filmed amateur stuff on YouTube and I know that I wouldn’t get this without people using camera phones. However, what I would like to say to the majority of people is, ‘don’t bother filming. Enjoy the gig and wait until somebody who was in a prime spot down the front uploads the whole song(s) to YouTube.’ Mostly these other people just randomly film 30 seconds anyway.

I sound like a right miserable bastard.
Fotzepolitic  
#34 Posted : 10 November 2018 10:14:16(UTC)
Fotz

The double decker bus thing is great.

As regards the pro cameras you mention, Debaser, there was at least one at the Jodrell Bank gig July 2013.One a long boom that kept swinging out over the audience at the front at that gig.I thought at the time great, they're filming it as it's quite a unique gig in a really special venue with the visuals projected onto the giant telescope.But no footage has ever surfaced.

Yeah all that Joy Division Forever stuff on the video screens i've seen at previous gigs is a bit OTT.
thanks 3 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Debaser on 10/11/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 24/12/2018(UTC)
The Shadow  
#35 Posted : 10 November 2018 10:17:52(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
It was fantastic last night. Bernard seemed in a very good mood and his voice sounded the best I’ve heard it. Great atmosphere. Loved Decades and Disorder from the JD songs but could do without atmosphere and especially LWTAU. The sound I thought was really good at the venue and although a sell out still room to dance. The songs that survived the MiF all sounded superb (vp, ultra violence, subculture) glad Academic made it back in the set. Hard to pick a stand out moment all superb. Even some of the NO tracks I’ve got a bit bored of hearing sounded fresh such as blue Monday. Really glad I went another superb NO gig.

Here’s hoping, as they all seem to be getting on so well, we get some new music next year.
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
lee  
#36 Posted : 10 November 2018 10:34:38(UTC)
lee

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 199 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post

As regards the pro cameras you mention, Debaser, there was at least one at the Jodrell Bank gig July 2013.One a long boom that kept swinging out over the audience at the front at that gig.I thought at the time great, they're filming it as it's quite a unique gig in a really special venue with the visuals projected onto the giant telescope.But no footage has ever surfaced.

Yeah all that Joy Division Forever stuff on the video screens i've seen at previous gigs is a bit OTT.

a little bit of jodrell bank has

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFjUy0xmej0

thanks 3 users thanked lee for this useful post.
Fotz on 10/11/2018(UTC), Debaser on 10/11/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#37 Posted : 10 November 2018 11:27:33(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: lee Go to Quoted Post

a little bit of jodrell bank has

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFjUy0xmej0

Well well well.Never seen or been aware of that before! They kept that quiet! Thanks.

Debaser  
#38 Posted : 10 November 2018 12:53:42(UTC)
Debaser

On the one hand: Oh dear.
On the other hand: Gillian retweeted this reply from director Mike Christie today:

Edit: Mike Christie directed the Sky Decades thing which...did see the light of day.
Makes me wonder if this gig might be packaged with Decades and sold in some shape or form.

Edit2:

Edited by user 10 November 2018 13:25:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Andy on 11/11/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC), Sportak-Mustgo on 25/03/2019(UTC)
is it bro  
#39 Posted : 10 November 2018 16:27:07(UTC)
is it bro

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Bernard still made the obligatory cock ups. He ALWAYS comes in too early for the guitar riff half way through True Faith, he came in half way through “and they gave it away, like in whistle down the wind” on VP, I’m sure in subculture he sang the line “I like walking in my sleep”.

Also, holding the mic out to the crowd to sing he chorus to BLT didn’t really work it seemed. Nor does holding the mic near to Phil or Tom guitar/bass while they play (the sound comes out of speakers, not the stings doh!).

As mentioned by someone else, the YouTube clips don’t really tell the story. Bernard’s vocals were pretty spot on in the live arena. And some great use of effects I thought (eg ultraviolence) to enhance them.
thanks 1 user thanked is it bro for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#40 Posted : 11 November 2018 14:07:38(UTC)
perspexorange

Yeah - I think you’re right about the slight errors on VP and Sub-Culture. I noticed them too but forgot all about them.

Nothing too serious though. I remember one gig where they had to completely restart Guilty Partner (or abandon it entirely; my memory has faded).

Edited by user 11 November 2018 14:16:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Baggie Boiler on 12/11/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
Baggie Boiler  
#41 Posted : 12 November 2018 00:45:36(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Yeah - I think you’re right about the slight errors on VP and Sub-Culture. I noticed them too but forgot all about them.

Nothing too serious though. I remember one gig where they had to completely restart Guilty Partner (or abandon it entirely; my memory has faded).
hats

That was MEN ARENA 98 as I recall.

Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 3 users thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
Rorschach on 12/11/2018(UTC), perspexorange on 12/11/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
Rorschach  
#42 Posted : 12 November 2018 02:46:53(UTC)
Rorschach

Was thanked: 368 time(s) in 258 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Digi Mike Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

hats

That was MEN ARENA 98 as I recall.

Yup. Re-started and played in full.
thanks 2 users thanked Rorschach for this useful post.
perspexorange on 12/11/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
is it bro  
#43 Posted : 13 November 2018 01:42:30(UTC)
is it bro

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
thanks 2 users thanked is it bro for this useful post.
Debaser on 13/11/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
Debaser  
#44 Posted : 13 November 2018 05:42:24(UTC)
Debaser

If you can't be arsed to sign up for the free "two articles per week" offer, the review looks like this:

Quote:
★★★★★
Are New Order the most important British band of the past 40 years? They’ve outlasted the Smiths, their local rivals, and haven’t burnt bridges, as Morrissey has; they have a stronger back catalogue than Oasis or the Stone Roses, two other Manchester giants; and they have thrived through more eras than Radiohead, joining the dots between punk and acid house.

Plus, in Bernard Sumner they have a frontman who has been a mainstay of three of our finest groups: Joy Division, New Order and Electronic. Yes, his voice is still a funny old thing, wavering at times, underpowered at others. It’s almost like an old bluesman’s voice, though — the flaws make it more stylish and more affecting. A human counterpoint to the pristine power of the band, who filled the sometimes unforgiving space of Alexandra Palace quite magnificently.

Gone are the surly days when New Order would play with their backs to the audience. Here they lapped up the love and returned it. Sumner said he felt as if he had reverse Tourette’s (“I can’t stop thanking people”), while Stephen Morris’s drumming was as laser-precise as ever and the bassist Tom Chapman ably filled the swaggering space left by Peter Hook. The original bassist has settled his legal disputes with the band and poignantly put some of his memorabilia up for sale last week.

Sumner et al, meanwhile, are re-energised. The songs from their most recent album, Music Complete, their first without Hook, stood up impressively against their classics, especially Tutti Frutti, with its funk bassline and Haçienda piano. The last hour, though, was packed with electronic crowd-pleasers from their imperial period, several beefed up and extended like 12in remixes. Subculture and Bizarre Love Triangle (which even had the bar staff singing along) were followed by an epic, stripped-down True Faith; Blue Monday, on which Sumner joined Gillian Gilbert on keyboards; and a transcendent Temptation.

The encore was all Joy Division: Atmosphere, Decades, Love Will Tear Us Apart. Cue harrumphing from some purists, still apparently mourning Ian Curtis. Are these astonishing songs really never to be sung again? If Paul McCartney can do A Hard Day’s Night, surely Sumner can do Love Will Tear Us Apart. He co-wrote it, after all, and he sang it here with dark elan.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Hooky-selling-his-stuff news on the forum. No one cares?
thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Andy on 14/11/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#45 Posted : 13 November 2018 06:32:54(UTC)
Fotz

^Thankyou for posting that review, Debaser. Or as Bernard might say ..kyou.

Had to google “elan” though to clarify it. Never heard a description of Bernard’s singing as a with a “ dark elan” before.

uncountable noun
If you say that someone does something with élan, you mean that they do it in an energetic and confident way.
[literary]
This small part was taken with elan by a promising young tenor. with élan, you mean that they do it in an energetic and confident way.
[literary]
This small part was taken with elan by a promising young tenor”

Edited by user 13 November 2018 06:34:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The Shadow  
#46 Posted : 13 November 2018 08:24:30(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
I didn’t know he was selling any new order. There was a leaflet handed out at The light gig in Manchester about an auction house but I thought that was JD only. Will search the web now
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
keepitcoming  
#47 Posted : 13 November 2018 17:23:25(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
Let"s hope 2019 brings a tour of several more songs not played for years , and maybe an intermission, with two sets of maybe 13- 20 songs per set, and a new release of new songs , and meanwhile Peter tours T and R all over the USA Like PF ,it is actually a blessing to get two bands touring , and who knows, maybe while Bernard takes a few months to write lyrics for a new cd , Tom and Phil and Steven and Gillian could try a little fun tour for a bit , playing even more songs with tapes of Bernard singing ,or they all sing, 4 part harmonies . PF and NO really are the best bands ever.. What a time to be alive and in love. Cheers
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#48 Posted : 15 November 2018 04:53:17(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1000 time(s) in 639 post(s)

Thanks for the Wonderful videos and Audio, It would have been Amazing to be at the Concert, hope they come out with some new stuff next year and Tour
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#49 Posted : 22 November 2018 03:03:55(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 50 Pound Note Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
I can't believe there's anything we stil '''need'''.

The Happy One, unedited. As Hook's performance on The Other Side Of Midnight showed, we've only ever heard a small fraction of it.

Also the full Cuntrol instrumentals, but...
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Andy  
#50 Posted : 23 December 2018 22:42:09(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
Dime

Edited by user 10 November 2020 05:47:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
Baggie Boiler on 24/12/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/12/2018(UTC)