logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andy  
#1 Posted : 24 December 2017 15:37:18(UTC)
Andy

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/12/2017(UTC), Fotz on 25/12/2017(UTC)
Sponsor
Fotzepolitic  
#2 Posted : 24 December 2017 16:31:29(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Tranquility base, the eagle has landed.Or rather, taken off.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/12/2017(UTC)
Debaser  
#3 Posted : 26 December 2017 13:27:30(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post

Tranquility Bass: Cantamilla
Classic chill-out-room-at-the-rave tuneage.

Wouldn't it have been nice if Neil Armstrong and Louis Armstrong had turned out to be the same person? Could have given rise to a great "where/how i wrote it" story for Wonderful World. Especially if the song had come out two years later than its 1967 release date.

Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post

I don't think New Order give a flying **** about my Christmas.
However, see the New Order Spotting thread for a Soulwax/New Order Christmas spot. I clearly give too much of a flying **** about NO...

Edited by user 26 December 2017 13:31:13(UTC)  | Reason: spelling fixed

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/12/2017(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#4 Posted : 26 December 2017 16:10:05(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

Tranquility Bass: Cantamilla
Classic chill-out-room-at-the-rave tuneage.

Don't know that track.Gave it a listen anyway.No, what it was is the last day at work last week before Christmas i had to ask a colleague something and he simply and curtly for some reason replied with "The password is Eagle has landed".Then Christmas eve before i went out i heard on the radio Public Service Broadcasting's Go! from their Race For Space album which features Neil Armstrong's "Tranquility Base, the eagle has landed".Then when i got home christmas eve i watched the New Order tweet clip of the eagle taking flight.So there was quite an Eagle theme going on before Christmas.

Edited by user 26 December 2017 16:12:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 27/12/2017(UTC)
The Shadow  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2018 09:04:28(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
See you in 2018 it says so something must be happening.

New album?
Box sets of old stuff?
Or a couple of special gigs?
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/01/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#6 Posted : 05 January 2018 14:12:44(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
I'm really hoping for box-sets. Jam-packed with outtakes, oddities and, especially, video material (good quality copies of early TV appearances etc.). That would make my New Order year.

Also, I'd be quite partial to going to a gig or two. Trouble is, I feel like we were spoilt last year with the Granada Studios gigs. Much as I like seeing them perform their classics, I'm more hungry to see the band play songs not normally performed live.
If they do do gigs, I think it'll be mainly the hits with, possibly, some of the recently played tunes (Shellshock, Sub-Culture etc.). Maybe even a newly reworked track or two. I'd kill (possibly) to see EGG played live. It's such a bloody classic, it really needs an airing.

New album would also be great, obviously, but this seems extremely unlikely based on the fact that I haven't heard anything about them writing new material, let alone recording any. And you know how slow this band work. The next ice age will probably be here first, sadly.
I suppose we could hope for an LP of reworked tracks, i.e. the Granada Studios tracks recorded in the studio. I'd buy that for (more than) a dollar...

Still, anything is better than nothing. Let's hope for a good year though.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/01/2018(UTC), fac51 on 07/01/2018(UTC)
EmileStrunz  
#7 Posted : 06 January 2018 07:13:13(UTC)
EmileStrunz

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 38 post(s)
I'd like what they did with the Joy Division remasters with a live album from that particular tour, but mastered and with images from that tour (posters, T-shirts etc. Technique tour campaign was great. There's enough soundboard quality gear out there. We have a lot of it!!!!!
thanks 1 user thanked EmileStrunz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/01/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#8 Posted : 01 March 2018 15:26:51(UTC)
Fotz

Well, been a while now, a fair few months and not heard a peep about these supposed new box sets or box set.I guess the idea has , like Recycled, been shelved.Probably for the best as it wouldn't have done New Order's credibility any good to revert back yet again to re releases, remasters. greatest hits, best ofs,box sets etc etc .I mean, i thought part of the idea of Music Complete was to start creating new music and the end of re releases, re hashes? To go back now to looking back and living in the past would not do the New Order brand image good.I'm glad the box set (or box sets) have been shelved.Let's keep looking forward, which was the big part of what New Order were about in the beginning anyway, surely?
ROCKET MICK on 02/03/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#9 Posted : 02 March 2018 04:21:53(UTC)
perspexorange

I’m slightly peeved that the box sets haven’t materialised yet.

I’m hoping that they’re still being worked on and the delays are due to red tape issues that will eventually be ironed out. I guess it makes things more difficult now, having an estranged member that needs to have input on this.

Not that I’m blaming Hooky; he was an important part of the band and he needs to be happy with the release of archive material (besides, I’ve read / heard interviews with him where it seems that he is the prime instigator on these box sets).
Once the band decide to do stuff in regards to archive material, they then need to take it to Hooky and his people for agreement. It’s bound to delay stuff; just the process itself. Take ‘Lost Sirens’, for instance.

Also, if they are planning to include TV appearances (which, I think, was originally mooted), there will be additional delays whilst they secure rights to this material with broadcasters, programme makers, etc.

I think the band are really deserving of a decent archiving project. They’ve been badly represented in re-released LPs / compilations over the years (both Substances and Heart & Soul excepted, naturally). The quality issues and lack of rare material on the 2 disc LPs, the myriad rehashed ‘best of’ compilations etc. Pretty poor show.

I would love multi-disc sets of each LP.
Have the LP on one disc, demos on another, singles, b-sides and remixes on a third, outtakes, rarities and radio sessions on a final fourth CD. Then have a Blu-Ray (or two DVDs) crammed with live stuff, TV appearances and music videos. Maybe a documentary on the making of each LP including interviews with all involved (like the wonderful Depeche Mode ones on their album remasters).

How cool would it be to have things like Play At Home, Riverside, Switch, Countdown, OGWT, The Tube etc., all in great quality? How about the complete footage from Glastonbury 1981 which, presumably, exists? Even better, how about that footage from Hurrah’s on the US tour in late 1980? I’ve seen clips from that and it’s immense (Steve singing on Cries and Whispers and Ceremony!).

All-encompassing, definitive box-sets, presented in lavish Saville packaging.

As regards looking forward and not back, there's no reason they can’t do both. Yes, they’d need a fair degree of input, which would take up some of their time, but it’s not like they’re going to be the ones rifling through boxes of tapes at Britannia Row. They just need to decide on the contents and perhaps have some input on the remastering (apparently Frank Arkwright is involved, so he will overseeing the project).

No one wants a new LP more than me (especially of the calibre of Music Complete), but I also really want box-sets that do justice to the band that I love more than any other.
thanks 3 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/03/2018(UTC), Ben on 02/03/2018(UTC), EmileStrunz on 03/03/2018(UTC)
M1  
#10 Posted : 02 March 2018 14:19:20(UTC)
M1

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 237 post(s)
Substance is surely overdue a reissue. Full 12" versions, B-sides and take it up to the Technique period...after which all the remixes became harder to track and in many cases fathom
thanks 1 user thanked M1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/03/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#11 Posted : 17 March 2018 14:33:26(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

All-encompassing, definitive box-sets, presented in lavish Saville packaging.

The box set or sets will need to be a big improvement on the Music Complete box thing.Those ugly looking staples and crappy cardboard weren't the best.I mean, i thought it was passable but then i watched one of those "unboxing" video things for Daft Punk's box set edition of their Random Access Memories album (they're a bit braggy wank those unboxing videos on YouTube IMHO but i watched this one out of interest).It looked a very, very classy box set.Faultless and immense care and attention had gone into creating the set.

Edited by user 17 March 2018 14:34:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 18/03/2018(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#12 Posted : 18 March 2018 03:01:30(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
All these fab, mutually exclusive projects will be out in time for din dins. Can't wait.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/03/2018(UTC)
Debaser  
#13 Posted : 18 March 2018 06:08:08(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Well, been a while now, a fair few months and not heard a peep about these supposed new box sets or box set.I guess the idea has , like Recycled, been shelved.....I'm glad the box set (or box sets) have been shelved.

Whoa! Easy tiger. Remember that Australian radio interview Hooky did around the time of the announced settlement? He said a photographer had visited him to take pics of his equipment for the box set thingies. I imagine they wanna release these things between September and Christmas when people start thinking about Chrismas presents. So let's see...

I’m slightly peeved that the box sets haven’t materialised yet.
Not that I’m blaming Hooky; he was an important part of the band and he needs to be happy with the release of archive material (besides, I’ve read / heard interviews with him where it seems that he is the prime instigator on these box sets).

Indeed. Inspired by Hooky's wife giving him the Led Zep II box set... for Christmas.

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
All these fab, mutually exclusive projects will be out in time for din dins. Can't wait.

I guess it depends how long you're prepared to wait for your din dins. I hear Italian food is pretty good though, so it could be tricky. NO probably aren't worth going on hunger strike for though, and judging by their waistlines they certainly aren't on hunger strike!

Well that's settled then. New Order will have 580849 new EPs out in time for din dins, with 6979074976390 LPs to follow before beddie byes. And Michael Monkhouse can go fuck himself. Really. He's a hermaphrodite, he can go fuck himself, it's awesome

Wait, you've cast a critical eye on NO's releasing habits previously?

Boy, do I hate all this bollocks.... My feelings were always, Shut the fuck up and make another Technique... And they did. 25 years on.

Oh. It's a theme for you Mr M.
I'll be amazed if we see a new album before autumn 2020. But hey what do I know?

Great, it'll be out by Wednesday.

I knock out about 4 a day.
New Order were never overly productive.

Oh the gaps between albums in the 80s were a lot shorter than now. But that happens with most artists as they get older. Each album has to be an "event".
But congratuations on 4 a day.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/03/2018(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#14 Posted : 18 March 2018 06:30:47(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

My wife says I'm immature. She told me over dindins.
Fuck all ever happens, does it?
50 Pound Note  
#15 Posted : 19 March 2018 05:25:22(UTC)
50 Pound Note

Was thanked: 274 time(s) in 174 post(s)
The box set or sets will need to be a big improvement on the Music Complete box thing.Those ugly looking staples and crappy cardboard weren't the best.

Bit of a nitpick, but those are replicas of acid-free, archival boxes used in museums, and I like that concept. Those containers will never turn yellow or damage the contents like the sleeves of so many albums I bought years ago. That's why bins of old LPs smell the way they do - they're degrading.

As lazy as Saville may appear, there's always a concept behind what he presents.
thanks 1 user thanked 50 Pound Note for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#16 Posted : 19 March 2018 06:06:15(UTC)
perspexorange

It’s funny but I was just thinking a few days ago about JD/NO’s productivity and came to the conclusion that, during their Factory days, they were pretty reasonable.
Yeah, by the time they were on London, things did slow down considerably but they’d been together since 1976, so about 17 years (to 1993). Most bands would’ve split up by then.

During Factory years, they released seven LPs containing 61 tracks.
Plus 34 ‘exclusive’ tracks on the two Substance LPs.
Plus TBTHOG and WIM, and the three Technique b-sides gives a nice round 100 tracks.

Assume an average of 10 tracks per LP.

That’s 10 LPs of material between 1978 and 1990 (13 years).
Not that bad.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#17 Posted : 19 March 2018 08:24:27(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1000 time(s) in 639 post(s)
lets hope they release something by 2020
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#18 Posted : 20 March 2018 02:21:28(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

2012 is more likely. No word they've even started writing. If they do, it'll probably be a poor take on MC.
ROCKET MICK on 20/03/2018(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#19 Posted : 20 March 2018 02:25:08(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

That’s 10 LPs of material between 1978 and 1990 (13 years).
Not that bad.

They were actually quite productive up to 84. If you list all the original songs, Bemusic collaborations and gigs, you need a hobby.
Mind you, you're including JD, who were 753 times more prolific.
Sorry to go over old ground, so keep reading at your peril, but I'm not up for another rehash...
1. 3 years from the last newbie and then ANOTHER rip off? It's not the bleak mid-90s. I can't believe how many shameless swindles the fans lap up, while the band continue to be admired for their like, y'know, totally rad stance (not actually flaunted since 1988).
2. There can't be anything worthwhile that's still needs releasing - except maybe the full-length Cuntrol, but why hold your breath? Everything's on BubeTube anyway, and I can't be arsed with 'new' mixes at this stage. That went out the window 20 years ago for me. I'm 45, too old to get a boner every time some overpaid, undertalented twot wants to indulge its ego but listen, there was a loop of the original New Order track, well worth the price then. Now I get a boner every time some overpaid, undertalented twot wants to indulge its ego but listen, there was a loop of the original Spice Girls track, well worth the price then.
3. There have been three line-ups over three albums. I know the Hooky issue is ''''''''''technically'''''''''' resolved, but after a decade of 'twattoo' and 'wonky table leg' it'd be a bit difficult to get something they all worked on (like the Fart Arse Hole coxset in 1997).
4. Despite fans' determination to keep their boners up, there have been very few decent rehashes. Only Farts... and the Glasgow DVD 2 really earn their keep. My personal favourites are International and The Best Of JD, but special mention to Retro: 5 CDs and no Thieves Like Us. Well done.

Edited by user 20 March 2018 03:54:38(UTC)  | Reason: Never be the same again

ROCKET MICK on 20/03/2018(UTC)