logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Linus Solanki  
#1 Posted : 29 November 2017 04:29:41(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1000 time(s) in 639 post(s)
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/11/2017(UTC)
Sponsor
Jim  
#2 Posted : 29 November 2017 08:51:30(UTC)
Jim

Man

Was thanked: 121 time(s) in 98 post(s)
I’ve never been able to figure out how they made the banjo guitar sound that stands out in the Substance version.

I think it failed to be a hit single because the album version sounds incomplete. The single (radio) version, was missing the kick that the song much needed. And the video was crap. It wasn’t until Substance came out that bars and DJ’s noticed the song. The Substance version was the perfect song for the time. It brought to life all the catchy parts of the song. I would hear it every time I went dancing. But there was never a good radio version of the song, and the remix versions didn’t even sound like the song. So Dj’s Only had the Substance version to play for many years.

Finally they made a great single version for the married to the mob soundtrack but did nothing with it. Then they put it out again on the best of ? CD. And took out the “dodo” part. But finally they had a version, the radio stations took notice of, and it’s the version I still hear on the radio and malls today.

Also there have never been any good remixes. Substance was all bars had. Until the 2000’s when they put out the Richard X and crystal methods mixes (which they put into their live versions today)

I say BLT Substance is one of the top 10 songs of the 80’s easily. I could do a podcast on the evaluation of BLT from its earliest years to how it sound now. It would be great.
thanks 1 user thanked Jim for this useful post.
Andy  
#3 Posted : 29 November 2017 09:56:47(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
I like the Shep and Richard X mixes but prefer the LP version. I agree that the 7" and video edits unnecessarily butchered the track.

It's nice that they updated it live but always preferred when they ended it instrumentally without Barney's vocals repeating the chorus. It allowed the beautiful interplay of the instruments to come to the forefront.
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
Debaser  
#4 Posted : 29 November 2017 10:47:31(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jim Go to Quoted Post
I think it failed to be a hit single because the album version sounds incomplete.

Huh? The album version stopped the single version being a hit? I'm confused! (also, the album version is ace.)

The single (radio) version, was missing the kick that the song much needed.

I remember hearing the radio version and thinking: I want that. And I'll get it on 12"

And the video was crap.

Lots of NO videos were crap though weren't they? The BM '83 video was virtually un-broadcastable. Didn't stop BM.

It wasn’t until Substance came out that bars and DJ’s noticed the song. ... So Dj’s Only had the Substance version to play for many years.

Surely the Substance version was the 12" version that got released when BLT first came out as a single. I remember that version being played at school discos, and when the percussion bit breaks out and goes a bit bonkers the dancefloor would look kinda confused.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#5 Posted : 29 November 2017 12:19:27(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Unable to read the NME thing as their website is appalling, advert upon advert covering the whole screen when you’ve just managed to read the first sentence.What a sad and tragic thing NME has become.

Not sure what the ‘banjo’ sound Jim mentions about is achieved on the Substance BLT. Thought the only banjo sound New Order ever used was on Every Little Counts.

Only time i ever heard BLT 12” Shep in a bar in was in Toronto when I was there in 2001. Never heard it in bar or club in UK but maybe I never went to the right bars and clubs.

The 7” Shep radio edit was alright, couldn’t really see why it wasn’t a hit but radio in UK around that time didn’t play it much.

Is the Married To The Mob version the one that was on that Factory cassette that came with a 1991 issue of Select magazine? Yeah good version that.

I recall NO doing a great live version of BLT at the Sheffield Roxy gig June 87 in the days when they still used to do basically the album version live.

Edited by user 29 November 2017 12:39:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Jim  
#6 Posted : 29 November 2017 13:42:31(UTC)
Jim

Man

Was thanked: 121 time(s) in 98 post(s)
I guess the original version was bigger then I thought. But I’m sure people who heard the Shep version, then bought Brotherhood where very disappointed. At least here where everybody owed Substance.

Blue Monday never made mainstream radio where I live. I don’t think I’ve ever heard it on the radio. I’m sure it was on all the bbc stations in the Uk. But clubs would play it every night for years.

The big club songs from New Order I would hear in the bars were: Blue Monday & BLT everytime from 1987 to about 1991. True faith for about a year in 1988. Round and round for about a year in 1989. And the Blade soundtrack version of Confusion for about 4 years when it came out. The band really missed the boat not releasing that as a single. Even our radio stations would play it every dance night Friday, were they broadcast from a club.

MTV was really big in 1986, and a bad video didn’t help. True faith and Blue Monday88 owned MTV when it came out.

The banjo sound I’m talking about is at the 46sec part of the song. I’m sure it’s not a banjo, it’s the only way I can describe it. I’m sure it’s all programmed but I would like to know what the original sound was.

thanks 1 user thanked Jim for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#7 Posted : 30 November 2017 02:33:18(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Feels like I've been here before... http://forums.neworderon...ts&m=24977#post24977
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/12/2017(UTC)
Andy  
#8 Posted : 30 November 2017 05:48:02(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
Feels like I've been here before... http://forums.neworderon...ts&m=24977#post24977

This is a remix.
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/12/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#9 Posted : 03 December 2017 01:27:44(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
The vid ain't too bad. It's classic NO: Get some arty farty tossbag who probably never even heard the track to mentally masturbate for 3 minutes and then be surprised MTV won't show it.
The Hague mix is tantalisingly close to perfection but he insanely cuts part of the instrumental breaks which are part of the song's charm. Pet Shoppibone is too glossy and crass for me and loses the subtle beauty of the original (same goes for his True Faith and ConOmFusArsIon, both of which I originally enjoyed). Richard X's mash-up was a pleasant surprise - less so Crystal Method (who collaborated with Hooky, FACt fans) - but there are only so many times you can hear the same tracks.

Edited by user 03 December 2017 01:46:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/12/2017(UTC)