logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Artificial Flavoring  
#1 Posted : 27 September 2017 19:01:08(UTC)
Artificial Flavoring

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Particularly after the 98 reunion? Or was that all planned and scripted, auto-cued? Reason I ask is there was a discussion I once read where the topic came up long while ago somewhere and it saddened me to think it was possible, though nobody actually said it was fact, was speculation theory, I assume. I think I'd asked but nobody knew or something. Some of the comedic relief between them were some of my most favorite moments of New Order. Also in interviews.

Sorry if it's an odd question. Just came to mind again today after a discussion I had.

Edited by user 28 September 2017 00:54:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Artificial Flavoring for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/09/2017(UTC)
Sponsor
50 Pound Note  
#2 Posted : 28 September 2017 07:30:30(UTC)
50 Pound Note

Was thanked: 274 time(s) in 174 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lentils Go to Quoted Post
Or was that all planned and scripted, auto-cued?

Barney can barely remember the lyrics he's written. There's no way in hell he could convincingly pull off some sort of scripted banter. About the closest we get these days is his insistence on shouting "muchos gracias!" between songs instead of thank you.

I used to hate the lead singer of the band I played drums in, but when you're on stage, playing live, and in the moment, you forget all of that because you're high on adrenaline. Just because you enjoy playing music with someone doesn't mean you enjoy all the bullshit that comes with it, and playing live is maybe 10% of being a member of New Order: lawyers, contracts, writing, recording, interviews...all things that tend to bring out the worst or most aggressive behavior in people. Plus, after the comeback in 1998, it seems Barney put some honest effort into being professional on stage. Consider their banter professional courtesy, with maybe the tiniest bit of affection buried deep, deep down, but not enough to make up for everything that happens off stage.

Edited by user 28 September 2017 07:32:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked 50 Pound Note for this useful post.
Artificial Flavoring on 28/09/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 29/09/2017(UTC)
perspexorange  
#3 Posted : 28 September 2017 12:04:23(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
I agree. I don't think it was scripted.

Hooky mentions in his book that he Barney got on very well during the 'Get Ready' sessions; the two of them working well together on songs and it was, apparently, quite a happy time.
It also figures that there would be times when they felt a degree of kinship (similar backgrounds, school-life, musical tastes, shared life experiences).

Also, booze.
Booze can easily cover up the cracks in any friendship, albeit temporarily. I'm everybody's friend when I'm three sheets to the wind.
I know Hooky was pretty much TT during the period, but Barney sure wasn't. :-)

Finally, I really think that the pair of them care about each other, deep down (forty fathoms probably). Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, I'm sure they forget about all the bickering and old wounds that inevitably permeate a friendship that's lasted half a century.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
tarbox23  
#4 Posted : 28 September 2017 18:03:54(UTC)
tarbox23

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 120 post(s)
Hooky wasn't clean until 2004 or so.

Edited by user 28 September 2017 18:05:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Boston MA 86 | Great Woods MA 87-89-93 | Lake Compounce CT 89 | Meadowlands NJ 89 | NYC 05 + 12
thanks 2 users thanked tarbox23 for this useful post.
Artificial Flavoring  
#5 Posted : 28 September 2017 20:58:39(UTC)
Artificial Flavoring

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 125 post(s)
That's pretty much what I assumed, too.
But after all the fighting between them and stuff Hooky revealed in his book and interviews, it makes people wonder what was genuine then. Even interviews and whatnot.

Like Finsbury Park for example. Looked like lots of fun and that they were getting along and fun banter during that era but I can't recall if in his book or elsewhere he mentions it was all a put on. Might've meant after 2004.
One speculation was Tony or Alan helped them and gave the idea to pretend get along, fun and stuff after the reunion. Yet there was animosity there still. Given there's no banter much anymore and it wasn't as prevalent prior to the reunion either. Though I think that depends on the shows you listen to. But, I think that's because Bernard and Hooky just had a certain vibe together.
But I could be wrong. Was indeed different kind later on.

Would be nice to know they were genuinely getting along or at least having some fun together then.

No idea about autocue or if some banter script was there. Would assume it'd be fairly obvious if that were the case? Or noticeable to those hanging out onstage and backstage perhaps. Anyone know anyone who might have a clue?

Edited by user 28 September 2017 21:06:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Artificial Flavoring for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/09/2017(UTC)