logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perspexorange  
#1 Posted : 14 July 2017 08:12:57(UTC)
perspexorange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Hi.

Just wondered if anyone had scans of any of the various Joy Division / New Order fanzines that were around back in the day - Standard, Factsheet, Last Orders, Decades, NOISE etc.

I would be really interested in seeing them. I think I saw some issues of Standard back in the day and they were pretty good IIRC. Unfortunately, I never owned any of them so didn't really get to read them.

I have a quite a keen interest in this period of fandom - the pre-internet days, when fans had to rely on personal knowledge, word of mouth or, if that failed, hearsay and speculation. Also, the amount of effort that must have gone into putting these fanzines out was pretty impressive - using typewriters without delete keys, photocopying sheet after sheet, advertising in the NME etc. Took some real dedication!

Any help greatly received.

Edited by user 14 July 2017 08:15:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
Sponsor
Fotzepolitic  
#2 Posted : 14 July 2017 08:22:49(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
I used to have a few, back in around oooh.. 1987. I seem to recall getting into JD/NO Fanzines around that time.Can't remember how i obtained them, must have been an advert in NME or something.I had a few of a New Order one called Paradise and a few of the Decades JD one.Found a copy of the Decades one in my attic a while back but can't remember what i did with it, maybe still in my attic.I could scan and post it if i find it again.I think i must have subscribed to one of them, maybe Decades, because i recall getting a new issue years and years after buying an older issue, like the guy who did the fanzine kept my address and sent me one years later when he got round doing another one.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#3 Posted : 14 July 2017 09:29:23(UTC)
perspexorange

I had copies of all issues (I think) of 'Paradise', which was pretty good back in the day. It was a good source for info that I didn't know at the time. I probably still have those issues at my mum's (can't imagine I would throw them away).

With 'Decades', I seem to remember sending off some cash for an issue. I'm not sure if I received this straight away, but did receive a newsletter asking me to subscribe and also listing various things I could buy from them; photocopies (presumably) of the 'History In Cuttings' books being one of them.
I duly sent off a cheque for a subscription and copies of the Cuttings books (can't remember how much I sent again, but £15 rings a bell). Sadly, I never received the Cuttings books and I think I only received one copy of Decades probably two years later (much like your experience, Fotz).
I seem to think I had some sort of letter from the guy who produced the fanzine stating he had been let down by others, so was having trouble getting things together.
Can't say I'm particularly annoyed that I didn't get my £15's worth; I'm sure his intention was to get my order out to me.
Still, I guess he could always have refunded me. If he's on this website and reading this - no hard feelings, mate. Just send me a scan of the issues that you produced and we'll call it quits! :-)

Thinking about it, I seem to recall having a copy of the first issue of NOISE (New Order Information Service, IIRC). Wasn't this a newsletter that was put together by a couple of girls in the US? It was quite nice and relatively light-hearted and amusing. I also seem to think that I used to have photocopies of another issue or two of it that another fan sent to me. Not sure why the girls that produced it never sent me copies of the following issues (I seem to think the issues were free to anyone that wanted them). Perhaps I never sent them a stamp (that doesn't sound like me, though - I'm nice like that!).

Still, I would love to see any of the above again, for old times sake. There was some really good stuff in them IIRC.

Plus would really love to see Standard, Factsheet, Last Orders or any others out there.
Fotzepolitic  
#4 Posted : 14 July 2017 09:41:47(UTC)
Fotz

I had the actual cuttings books back in the day 1984 ( 2 volumes) but mislaid them somehow but I did obtain them again in PDF form a few years back and can share if yet interested and/ or I could work out how to share them other than a file share in Soulseeek or Dropbox.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange on 14/07/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
perspexorange  
#5 Posted : 14 July 2017 10:36:20(UTC)
perspexorange

I do actually have the Cuttings books as PDFs now, but many thanks for the offer. Picked them up on the internet a few years ago myself. They are great, even if the scans are a little murky in parts (I'm thinking that the books were probably not particularly high quality prints at the time).

Scans of any fanzines though, that would be wonderful.
Fotzepolitic  
#6 Posted : 15 July 2017 10:22:51(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
I do actually have the Cuttings books as PDFs now, but many thanks for the offer. Picked them up on the internet a few years ago myself. They are great, even if the scans are a little murky in parts (I'm thinking that the books were probably not particularly high quality prints at the time).

Scans of any fanzines though, that would be wonderful.

Yeah some of the scans in the PDF versions are pretty murky, frustratingly, impossible to read some of them.The photocopies in the original books were fairly clear and readable though.They were pretty weighty and joined together with big staples, or at least volume 1 was.Maybe volume 2 less so.They were really educational for me back then.In 1984 when i obtained them i was 16 and hungry for every scrap of information about Joy Division and New Order i could lay may hands on, so all those gig and album reviews from the music papers from the late 70s (Joy Division) and early 80s (New Order) was all new to me.It was also the first time i became aware of bands like The Doors and The Velvet Underground, they were mentioned in many reviews of Joy Division as being an influence.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#7 Posted : 16 July 2017 05:41:48(UTC)
perspexorange

Interesting to note that the books themselves are 'clean' copies.

I've always wanted copies of both books, but they are so difficult to find. One day, maybe.
Bernard Strummer  
#8 Posted : 17 July 2017 05:38:58(UTC)
Bernard Strummer

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
On reading your post I looked out my copy of "A history in cuttings" Part 1. The staples have gone rusty but overall it is in very good condition.

The other booklet I have is "Factsheet Fac.82" which is 28 pages and came from Norway for the princely sum of £1.

Can't explain why I never bought further copies.

If you would like a scan of this , I could dig out my scanner and email you it.

Edited by user 17 July 2017 06:36:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Bernard Strummer for this useful post.
perspexorange on 17/07/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
Bernard Strummer  
#9 Posted : 17 July 2017 06:41:50(UTC)
Bernard Strummer

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have scanned Factsheet 2 into 16 Jpegs. It also included an extra orange coloured page, so it was 32 pages in total.

Let me know if you want it.

thanks 2 users thanked Bernard Strummer for this useful post.
perspexorange on 17/07/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
perspexorange  
#10 Posted : 17 July 2017 12:03:50(UTC)
perspexorange

I'd love a copy. Thanks.
I have PM'd you.
perspexorange  
#11 Posted : 11 January 2019 14:31:19(UTC)
perspexorange

Just resurrecting this old thread, as I managed to snag the first two issues of 'Standard' here this morning:

https://tape-mag.com/Sta...TERATURE-1-1-4557-7.html

https://tape-mag.com/Sta...TERATURE-1-1-4568-7.html

For anyone else that's interested, you can download the jpegs and make pdfs. Or, alternatively, just give me a shout and I'll send the pdfs I made over to you.

Now, I just need issues 3 - 6, plus the issues of 'Last Orders'. Anybody got them?

PS both issues of Factsheet are also on the above website too:

https://tape-mag.com/Fac...TERATURE-1-1-4555-7.html

https://tape-mag.com/Fac...TERATURE-1-1-4556-7.html

Edited by user 11 January 2019 14:33:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 12/01/2019(UTC)