logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Del Boy  
#1 Posted : 21 March 2017 09:10:02(UTC)
Del Boy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 30 post(s)
thanks 5 users thanked Del Boy for this useful post.
perspexorange on 21/03/2017(UTC), Isi on 21/03/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 21/03/2017(UTC), Coops on 22/03/2017(UTC), Fotz on 23/03/2017(UTC)
Sponsor
perspexorange  
#2 Posted : 21 March 2017 13:09:07(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Nice.

Always wanted one of those blue England shirts, but for some reason (probably cash flow) I didn't purchase.
Also, I wanted one of those WIM t-shirts which, again, I never bought (similar reasons, I guess).

Regrettable that I didn't get either.

Ah, World In Motion.
I remember dancing on tables in one of the local pubs after beating Cameroon, with that song playing on the video-jukebox.
A winning combination - England playing well and New Order soundtracking the experience.

Heady, heady days...
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/03/2017(UTC)
Coops  
#3 Posted : 22 March 2017 01:51:18(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Brilliant. It's criminal he was dropped in favour of Gascoigne, you know.
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/03/2017(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#4 Posted : 23 March 2017 12:59:44(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
It's total rip-off bullshit how they bring out a new kit every 5 minutes these days.

Still, that 1990-92 third kit that was ranked No 1 by The Mirror was nice.I remember my brother having the shirt and wearing it for years.Think he still does sometimes.The fact that England only ever wore it once in a game against Turkey seems a familiar trivia fact that i'm sure i've heard before.Maybe my brother told me it . The kit i've liked in more recent years was the plain, no frills one with the the round neck similar to West Germany's 1970s kit.Why can't they just stay with the same kit for 5 minutes, jeez.Money making cnuts.

As for England at Italia 90, yeah i remember dancing on the pub table after the Cameroon quarter final.But we needed 2 penalties to beat them and were 2-1 down at one stage and close to losing the game., we got lucky.We only beat Belgium in the last minute of extra time the round before.And we drew with Eire in the group stage, only beat Egypt by a single goal and were lucky to draw against Holland.Yeah we played well against West Germany in the semi final, but erm, that's no good if you don't score more goals than them in 90 minutes or extra time or penalties. I guess what i'm saying is, in short, England's Italia 90 "march" to within a game of the World Cup Final is overrated.Still, it was further than we'll ever get again.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2017(UTC)
Debaser  
#5 Posted : 23 March 2017 16:06:33(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
And we drew with Eire in the group stage,

I remember that but from the other side - being from Rep of Ireland. I watched that in a friends house in Dublin and I remember being releived that Gary Lineker hadn't done the business against us. Little did we realise he had done the business...but in his pants!

Italia 90 for Rep of Ireland fans was quite exciting even though we only made the quarters. Our first ever world cup. Larry Mullen of U2 organised the football song Put 'em under pressure and it got played to death on the radio.
Of course I preferred the English one cos it had house-y piano and was by my favourite band, but I was damned if I was going to walk into Dublin's Virgin Megastore and buy the English football anthem whilst Ireland were in the world cup (I don't think the non-British record shops even stocked it) . In fact I didn't own World In Motion in any form prior to Retro. Couldn't bring myself to do it. Ahh the trials & tribulations of being a new order / football fan.

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2017(UTC), Fotz on 25/03/2017(UTC)