logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fotzepolitic  
#1 Posted : 27 December 2015 08:30:36(UTC)
Fotz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3615 time(s) in 2616 post(s)
I'm not overly fussed about christmas presents, these days a good family get together and a decent christmas dinner with a few beers is good enough for me.Oh and some decent christmas tv would of been nice but that didn't really happen this year.Still, i did get a few goodies; the usual deodorant set(s), chocolates etc but i did get a great little Bluetooth speaker for use in the bathroom which will be great for when i have a long relaxing soak in the bath.One present that i did particularly ask for and was lucky to receive was the recent book by David Cavanagh about John Peel titled 'Good Night And Good Riddance- How Thirty Five Years Of John Peel Helped To Shape Modern Life'.It covers a load of Peel's radio shows from 1967 to 2004.It "focuses on some 300 broadcasts between 1967 and 2004, giving a thorough overview of Peel's career and placing it in its cultural and social context"
Had a quick flick through and found it has a short chapter about Peel's show on the night of 19th May 1980.Obviously this chapter is about how Peel broke the news to the nation about Ian Curtis dying and what Peel said.Slightly surprising to learn that Peel played New Dawn Fades after breaking the news.I'd always thought , as i'd read in a number of places over the years, that he had played Atmosphere that night.Anyway, looking forward to reading the book although i was startled to find it's over 600 pages.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Baggie Boiler on 29/12/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
Sponsor
Fotzepolitic  
#2 Posted : 23 January 2016 13:17:24(UTC)
Fotz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3615 time(s) in 2616 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
One present that i did particularly ask for and was lucky to receive was the recent book by David Cavanagh about John Peel titled 'Good Night And Good Riddance- How Thirty Five Years Of John Peel Helped To Shape Modern Life'.It covers a load of Peel's radio shows from 1967 to 2004.It "focuses on some 300 broadcasts between 1967 and 2004, giving a thorough overview of Peel's career and placing it in its cultural and social context"
Had a quick flick through and found it has a short chapter about Peel's show on the night of 19th May 1980.Obviously this chapter is about how Peel broke the news to the nation about Ian Curtis dying and what Peel said.Slightly surprising to learn that Peel played New Dawn Fades after breaking the news.I'd always thought , as i'd read in a number of places over the years, that he had played Atmosphere that night.Anyway, looking forward to reading the book although i was startled to find it's over 600 pages.

UserPostedImage

Bloody good book , i'm up to 1989 now, about 400+ pages in.

Startled to find and listen to this; clip from his show 19th May 1980 of Peel breaking the news of Ian Curtis' death and then playing New Dawn Fades.Kind of interesting in the fact Peel simply just says a few short words then plays a song.

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)