logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
WHP
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
surface  
#1 Posted : 06 December 2015 02:43:01(UTC)
surface

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 138 post(s)
Great gig last night, oddest venue I have ever been in and trying to move around when NO were on was nigh on impossible.
thanks 2 users thanked surface for this useful post.
79order on 06/12/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/12/2015(UTC)
Sponsor
Fotzepolitic  
#2 Posted : 06 December 2015 02:59:08(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
No changes in setlist? Wondered if they might have pulled at least one out of the bag but it appears not

SetlistFM
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
surface  
#3 Posted : 06 December 2015 03:30:06(UTC)
surface

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
No changes in setlist? Wondered if they might have pulled at least one out of the bag but it appears not

SetlistFM

No it was basically the same set although Ellie Jackson appeared and he introduce 2 backing singers for Plastic but I can't remember their names. Great gig but bloody hot and cramped in there. Also first NO gig I have been to where it felt like the majority of the audience were in the younger age bracket.

Edited by user 06 December 2015 03:31:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked surface for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#4 Posted : 06 December 2015 03:50:05(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: surface Go to Quoted Post

SetlistFM

No it was basically the same set although Ellie Jackson appeared and he introduce 2 backing singers for Plastic but I can't remember their names. Great gig but bloody hot and cramped in there. Also first NO gig I have been to where it felt like the majority of the audience were in the younger age bracket.

Probably Dawn Zee and Denise Johnson ?

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/12/2015(UTC)
Fawdy  
#5 Posted : 06 December 2015 04:42:39(UTC)
Fawdy

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I thought it was a terrible venue. We travelled down for the gig. Had we known the venue/format we wouldn't have bothered. The band sounded great. It's a dance album but what's the point if you're packed in like sardines getting pushed backwards and forwards constantly. It was impossible to dance and quite dangerous. I don't want to sound like an old fogey but we had such a bad time. I've seen NO plenty but this just a desperately bad night.
thanks 1 user thanked Fawdy for this useful post.
The Shadow  
#6 Posted : 06 December 2015 05:06:25(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
It was a good idea but it just didn't work in my opinion. Good venue if it was just a club night not suited to a band.bstarted well with factory floor although there were only 2 of them no live drummer and the girl in FF ditched her guitar and sampled her voice but good sound but more like a DJ set.

Great DJ on afterwards just b4 new order. But towards the end of the set everybody just pushed total mayhem. I was with the wife and she couldn't cope with crush so had to watch it from the side with a great big wall in the way so the sound was dreadful.

Drum machines and synths sounded ok, but guitar and acoustic drums were lost.

It was two rooms but obviously when new order came on you had 5000 people trying to squeeze into a space for half that.

I had a good night but the new order part was the worse I,ve ever seen them, not because they sounded bad but of the problems with the venue. Liverpool was far better. They also never played ceremony, lonesome tonight or 586 so a lot less songs in the set and no new ones. Best tunes of the night BLT, tutti Fruitti, temptation and blue Monday which did really work in this venue. Looking forward to seeing them again next year to make up for this disappointment.
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
The Shadow  
#7 Posted : 06 December 2015 05:07:50(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Originally Posted by: surface Go to Quoted Post

SetlistFM

Probably Dawn Zee and Denise Johnson ?

It was Denise Johnson and Dawn Zee
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
surface  
#8 Posted : 06 December 2015 05:35:02(UTC)
surface

Originally Posted by: The Shadow Go to Quoted Post
It was a good idea but it just didn't work in my opinion. Good venue if it was just a club night not suited to a band.bstarted well with factory floor although there were only 2 of them no live drummer and the girl in FF ditched her guitar and sampled her voice but good sound but more like a DJ set.

Great DJ on afterwards just b4 new order. But towards the end of the set everybody just pushed total mayhem. I was with the wife and she couldn't cope with crush so had to watch it from the side with a great big wall in the way so the sound was dreadful.

Drum machines and synths sounded ok, but guitar and acoustic drums were lost.

It was two rooms but obviously when new order came on you had 5000 people trying to squeeze into a space for half that.

I had a good night but the new order part was the worse I,ve ever seen them, not because they sounded bad but of the problems with the venue. Liverpool was far better. They also never played ceremony, lonesome tonight or 586 so a lot less songs in the set and no new ones. Best tunes of the night BLT, tutti Fruitti, temptation and blue Monday which did really work in this venue. Looking forward to seeing them again next year to make up for this disappointment.

Agree with you, early on it was ok but when NO came on, as you say it was mental, I was quite near the front and didn't expect the mad dancing for singularity. Needed a pee and another beer later on and there was no way back to where I was so did the same as you and watched from the other side of the wall near the t shirt stand.

Couple of years ago i went to The Stone Roses film premier at Victoria Warehouse, that would have been a far better venue.
thanks 1 user thanked surface for this useful post.
79order  
#9 Posted : 06 December 2015 08:13:37(UTC)
79order

Was thanked: 247 time(s) in 217 post(s)
Loved it, even though no chance of getting near the front amazing buzz from what must be the youngest Order audience I've been in since the 80s and they knew all the words, shame it was a shorter set but live they have so got it sorted ,realy enjoy EL there own honoury manc, wonder if Bernard found his car?
I just want your love.
thanks 1 user thanked 79order for this useful post.
Andy  
#10 Posted : 06 December 2015 14:42:01(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/12/2015(UTC), Like No Other on 07/12/2015(UTC)
Andy  
#11 Posted : 06 December 2015 18:41:09(UTC)
Andy

Man

6/12/2015 Setlist.fm
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
Baggie Boiler  
#12 Posted : 06 December 2015 19:06:49(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
I have just done both nights there , My audio recordings have come out ace, small stage like back in the day, but what a shit hole of a venue , we should be paid to enter - great gigs though!
Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 2 users thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/12/2015(UTC), Like No Other on 07/12/2015(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#13 Posted : 06 December 2015 19:58:36(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
Please God , make them play academic and finish with transmission , and add 4 or 5 or 6 more , thanks . And if Bernard sings at the end of plastic , 'bubba 'instead of baby , no problem.
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
The Japanese One  
#14 Posted : 06 December 2015 20:22:55(UTC)
The Japanese One

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 42 post(s)
It's Manchester, it's New Order. And the final shows of the U.K. tour. You can't help but expect something special.
What were we treated to? A crap venue and a truncated set. One is bad enough but two.

Even so, I'm glad I caught them. The performance itself was vibrant. Plenty of new material played. And the show lasted over 100 mins, which is of sufficient length, considering 3-4 songs were dropped from the standard set of the previous shows. Still...

When I failed to secure the Saturday night ticket, I was gutted. Now I'm rather glad that I didn't go to both nights. If I had done, my disappointment would have doubled for sure.
thanks 2 users thanked The Japanese One for this useful post.
Low Life on 07/12/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/12/2015(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#15 Posted : 06 December 2015 22:37:42(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Digi Mike Go to Quoted Post
I have just done both nights there , My audio recordings have come out ace, small stage like back in the day, but what a shit hole of a venue , we should be paid to enter - great gigs though!

Mike, having done every date of the UK tour can you can confirm Barney didn't do one single 'C'Mon!' during LWTUA in the whole tour?

Hope you are still able to wake up and catch BBC Breakfast (Bill and Louise on the sofa this morning) despite getting home late after last night's gigHi

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Tock  
#16 Posted : 06 December 2015 23:48:26(UTC)
Tock

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
New Order and ACR were fantastic last night.

The venue meanwhile was an unsafe shithole unfit for purpose.

As a rave venue it was perfect but when stuffed to the gills with thousands of New Order fans it was a proper nightmare.

Oh and leaving the venue? Thousands of people filing through one door? Yeah that's safe.

Good job there was no sort of emergency because we were stuck in there with inadequate fire exits.

Stupid greedy promoters must have oversold this, shame on them.

Rant over.

Back to the arenas lads (and lass)........
thanks 1 user thanked Tock for this useful post.
Spittingcat  
#17 Posted : 07 December 2015 00:21:14(UTC)
Spittingcat

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 124 post(s)
Well, I can't comment on the venue, as I didn't even get in!
Arrived just as FF started up (sounded brutal/huge from outside the doors).
Sniffer dog took a liking to me, was searched, nothing on me, not allowed entry.
So £35+ wasted, and had to hang around for 5+ hours to wait for my mates to travel home.
One of them came out to keep me company (would have stopped him if I had a chance) so two of us missed out.

Was Denise Johnson on stage with New Order as well as ACR?
Gutted to have missed it.
thanks 1 user thanked Spittingcat for this useful post.
Debaser  
#18 Posted : 07 December 2015 02:06:09(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Oh well, Gillian liked it...
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Baggie Boiler  
#19 Posted : 07 December 2015 03:19:25(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Digi Mike Go to Quoted Post

Mike, having done every date of the UK tour can you can confirm Barney didn't do one single 'C'Mon!' during LWTUA in the whole tour?

Hope you are still able to wake up and catch BBC Breakfast (Bill and Louise on the sofa this morning) despite getting home late after last night's gigHi

I am pretty sure that's right, think were treated to a COME ON twice at two renditions of Temptation.

Missed Breakfast , can't wait to see Carol doing the weather soon Big Grin

Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
Low Life  
#20 Posted : 07 December 2015 07:05:37(UTC)
Low Life

Man

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 58 post(s)
So according to Set List FM they played exactly the same set both nights running at WHP?
thanks 1 user thanked Low Life for this useful post.
Jake A  
#21 Posted : 07 December 2015 07:30:53(UTC)
Jake A

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Spittingcat Go to Quoted Post
Sniffer dog took a liking to me, was searched, nothing on me, not allowed entry.

I was fully expecting the sniffer dog to take an interest in me but it didn't, so that's really bad luck for you!

Venue was a nightmare as others have said, but luckily my mate who works in the "biz" got us VIP guesties, so we could escape the mayhem and use the bar there. The only notable "face" was Leroy of Hacienda/Dry fame.

Barney very clearly into it, lots of "Fine Time" style dancing, and he even put the microphone into the audience at one point for a bit of audience singalong participation, which I've never seen him do before in the 30+ gigs I've done over the years!
thanks 1 user thanked Jake A for this useful post.
Debaser  
#22 Posted : 07 December 2015 08:01:18(UTC)
Debaser

Well, I can't comment on the venue, as I didn't even get in!
Arrived just as FF started up (sounded brutal/huge from outside the doors).
So £35+ wasted, and had to hang around for 5+ hours to wait for my mates to travel home.
One of them came out to keep me company (would have stopped him if I had a chance) so two of us missed out.

Was Denise Johnson on stage with New Order as well as ACR?
Gutted to have missed it.

Did you actually have anything on you (regardless of whether it was found)? If not, they can't really justify refusing you entry. Did you get your money back?
If not, I would be inclined to write to The Guardian's "Money"/consumer affairs section, or the NME or...someone/anyone.
Spittingcat  
#23 Posted : 07 December 2015 09:28:14(UTC)
Spittingcat

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 124 post(s)
Nope, nothing on me. I'm one of the boring people I'm afraid. And no refund (or ticket to pass on) so just vanished money really. No idea how I could try and get a refund, or where from, to be honest. No proof of what happened. No point chasing it really. Also, not really bothered about the money, just about missing a gig I've been looking forward to since the summer, with three of my favourite bands, in my old city, in one night.
thanks 1 user thanked Spittingcat for this useful post.
Debaser  
#24 Posted : 07 December 2015 10:04:30(UTC)
Debaser

It might be nice to make a point though. Perhaps get an apology. If you bought the ticket through an official outlet you would presumably have some sort of confirmation of purchase. Unless people are going to accuse you of making up the whole story, then you can still be taken seriously without your ticket.

If it were me I would have had an almighty row with the bouncers (or maybe you did?) and I wouldn't just give up and say..."nothing I can do". Don't forget you could be standing up for future gig-goers too. Let them away with it and that's a win for bullying & theft isn't it.

Oh and where would you get the refund from? You could try the two twitter handles mentioned in this tweet for a start:

Edited by user 07 December 2015 10:09:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Andy  
#25 Posted : 07 December 2015 10:28:22(UTC)
Andy

Man

Originally Posted by: Jake A Go to Quoted Post

I was fully expecting the sniffer dog to take an interest in me but it didn't, so that's really bad luck for you!

Venue was a nightmare as others have said, but luckily my mate who works in the "biz" got us VIP guesties, so we could escape the mayhem and use the bar there. The only notable "face" was Leroy of Hacienda/Dry fame.

Barney very clearly into it, lots of "Fine Time" style dancing, and he even put the microphone into the audience at one point for a bit of audience singalong participation, which I've never seen him do before in the 30+ gigs I've done over the years!

This reminded me of the time Bernard and Hooky walked past a security dog licking it's genitals outside a gig:

Hooky: "I wish I could do that, ha ha!"
Bernard: "Don't you think you should pet him first?"
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.