logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Coops  
#26 Posted : 01 December 2015 04:35:36(UTC)
Coops

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Originally Posted by: edspess Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Coops Go to Quoted Post
Of course, it all went wrong for Morrissey back in the 90s and like-for-like its New Order in the Morrissey position so maybe Hooky has a good chance of doing a Mike Joyce.

Do you really think so? To me it appears that Hooky is more representative of the "truculent and unreliable" Morrissey in this situation. From memory though, neither of the parties came out of that court case smelling of roses and I don't see why this one would be any different.

Also, I'm pretty sure that nobody has suggested that Hooky was anything less than a full member of New Order up until the time that he left/they split whereas Joyce and Rourke felt that they had been treated like session musicians throughout their career with The Smiths, a position for which I have a great deal of sympathy.

I agree, especially with the truculent part. However, in terms of just money both Joyce, Rourke and Hook all felt/feel that what they were getting is not enough and they wanted more. Mozzer/New Order think they're getting what they're entitled to.

Edited by user 01 December 2015 04:37:03(UTC)  | Reason: Whether you like cabbages or brocolli it's nice to have both

thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/12/2015(UTC)
Alex_Loyal  
#27 Posted : 01 December 2015 05:16:26(UTC)
Alex_Loyal

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rosygale Go to Quoted Post
I find it difficult to believe this now - if it's all so clear cut, and he's been spectacularly ripped off, why didn't he say so in the first place years ago? Why all the guff about use of the name, "I split the band" and the personal insults etc? What they say on those police interceptors - you should not fail to mention something you later rely on in court.
Re Yoko, is he implying Deborah Curtis is also involved?
The lawyers must be rubbing their hands in glee.

I agree with this, and I think that maybe to begin with it was all about stopping the band from playing and using the name, and to begin with there may have been no legal case at all, just him gobbing off. But as soon as Music Complete zoomed into the charts, and the recent upsurge in the bands profile, maybe he has either changed his legal approach to all of this, motivated by money, or some legal turds have been watching all of this and stepped in on his behalf as they think they may get him (and them) some cash due to the bands recent success. I also find it odd that if this legal team have been with him from the off that they have allowed him to fire off his vile time and time again, plus, I cannot imagine the other 3 setting something up with no legal advice of their own. I think Hook is pissing in the wind and I for one hope he gets jack shit.
thanks 5 users thanked Alex_Loyal for this useful post.
Baggie Boiler on 01/12/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 01/12/2015(UTC), rosygale on 01/12/2015(UTC), ersatz01 on 01/12/2015(UTC), 79order on 03/12/2015(UTC)
Andy  
#28 Posted : 01 December 2015 06:19:19(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3072 time(s) in 2144 post(s)
I find it difficult to believe this now - if it's all so clear cut, and he's been spectacularly ripped off, why didn't he say so in the first place years ago? Why all the guff about use of the name, "I split the band" and the personal insults etc? What they say on those police interceptors - you should not fail to mention something you later rely on in court.

Hadn't thought in terms of Deborah Curtis. It would imply she's also being wronged and is siding with Hook.
thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/12/2015(UTC), 79order on 03/12/2015(UTC)
lee  
#29 Posted : 01 December 2015 06:44:44(UTC)
lee

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 199 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post

Hadn't thought in terms of Deborah Curtis. It would imply she's also being wronged and is siding with Hook.

I think d c Did a talk or something with Steve at festival number 6 a few months back so if she'd sided with hook I don't think she'd have done it?

Edited by user 01 December 2015 06:45:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked lee for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#30 Posted : 01 December 2015 07:30:20(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
I really wouldn't read too much into the slightly bizarre "Fabs" comparison the QC threw out there. I sense that was more for press release purposes in order to make those unfamiliar with New Order understand what was going by referencing the most well known band on the planet. Deborah Curtis's involvement would probably depend on whether Vitalturn also handles Joy Division's income. A quick glance at Discogs shows that the company only really features on New Order releases. There may be another limited company which exclusively handles JD (would certainly make sense as it's a legacy in itself).
thanks 3 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/12/2015(UTC), rosygale on 01/12/2015(UTC), 79order on 03/12/2015(UTC)
Johnny James  
#31 Posted : 01 December 2015 13:04:50(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 954 time(s) in 439 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NotAMod Go to Quoted Post
I really wouldn't read too much into the slightly bizarre "Fabs" comparison the QC threw out there. I sense that was more for press release purposes in order to make those unfamiliar with New Order understand what was going by referencing the most well known band on the planet. Deborah Curtis's involvement would probably depend on whether Vitalturn also handles Joy Division's income. A quick glance at Discogs shows that the company only really features on New Order releases. There may be another limited company which exclusively handles JD (would certainly make sense as it's a legacy in itself).

As the band say, it's only really about income generated since 2011 by (new) New Order.

All the pre-2007 material is covered by Vitalturn and shared as it always has been (including reissues etc).
thanks 3 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/12/2015(UTC), NotAMod on 01/12/2015(UTC), 79order on 03/12/2015(UTC)
Moderne Decay  
#32 Posted : 01 December 2015 14:30:54(UTC)
Moderne Decay

Man

Was thanked: 121 time(s) in 98 post(s)
So basically after spending the past four years trying to convince the world that the current act known as "New Order" is NOT New Order because he is no longer a part of them, now he totally flip-flopped his position and is trying to convince the court that they are indeed New Order and owe him money now for those past for years. Roll Eyes

Edited by user 01 December 2015 14:32:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users thanked Moderne Decay for this useful post.
Pyrtwist on 01/12/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 01/12/2015(UTC), vonpants on 02/12/2015(UTC), 79order on 03/12/2015(UTC)
The Shadow  
#33 Posted : 01 December 2015 14:34:54(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
All quite upsetting. All 4 original members will always be my heroes whatever they say about each other.

I can see it from both sides, the name New Order is still a very powerful brand. I can see why the band would not want to pay hooky too much as he is not part of the creative process anymore but without the name New Order they would not make nowhere near as much money as they have.

Personally I think this case will be in Hooky's favour. Hopefully they will settle out of court.

Ironically MC is the one of the bands best of their whole career so will make both parties more money than they could have hoped for when the three of them set the the new Company up. Hopefully this will not spell the end of the name New Order.

Cannot understand why people have a go at Hooky regarding his legendary bass lines, they will always be a sound track to my life. I don't know any of them personally but I wish them all well, I will still be in Manchester on Saturday to see new order and also any future The Light gigs, forget all this, as at the end of the day it's only the music that matters, and God does it still matter, to me anyway. Saturday should be pretty amazing. Would love NO to add Academic and Unlearn this Hatred to their set.
thanks 2 users thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
Debaser  
#34 Posted : 01 December 2015 16:44:33(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3010 time(s) in 2075 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Moderne Decay Go to Quoted Post
So basically after spending the past four years trying to convince the world that the current act known as "New Order" is NOT New Order because he is no longer a part of them, now he totally flip-flopped his position and is trying to convince the court that they are indeed New Order and owe him money now for those past for years. Roll Eyes

Well he says they're TRADING as New Order, having done a bit of a 'sneaky'. And as the post below yours says...

Originally Posted by: The Shadow Go to Quoted Post
without the name New Order they would not make nowhere near as much money as they have.

Indeed fifty quid a ticket after fees for Brixton was quite the fee. I paid it but I felt I was being fleeced.
thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Moderne Decay  
#35 Posted : 02 December 2015 09:03:13(UTC)
Moderne Decay

Man

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

Well he says they're TRADING as New Order, having done a bit of a 'sneaky'. And as the post below yours says...

Originally Posted by: The Shadow Go to Quoted Post
without the name New Order they would not make nowhere near as much money as they have.

Indeed fifty quid a ticket after fees for Brixton was quite the fee. I paid it but I felt I was being fleeced.

But that's essentially what I was saying, that he's taking issue with them continuing to use the name "New Order" without him, then somehow expecting to be paid for any money generated post-2011. All their current gigs, new merch and new material is their investment. If he hasn't contributed a single penny toward anything they done post-2011 to generate an income, he's no longer part of that investment. And as someone else has said, if he's expecting to get paid for them gigging with older material featuring his basslines, then the flip side to that will be him owing Sumner, Morris and Gillian about 75% of the income he's generated doing his JD/NO album tours since it's their material as well.

Edited by user 02 December 2015 09:10:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Moderne Decay for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/12/2015(UTC), 79order on 03/12/2015(UTC)
Jonathan  
#36 Posted : 02 December 2015 09:22:28(UTC)
Jonathan

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 123 post(s)
For anyone curious about how music royalties work in various circumstances, David Byrne's book "How Music Works" is very good, very clear.
thanks 2 users thanked Jonathan for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#37 Posted : 02 December 2015 10:52:48(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
thanks 2 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
SheWasInALine  
#38 Posted : 02 December 2015 11:22:04(UTC)
SheWasInALine

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
this is ridiculous.
thanks 2 users thanked SheWasInALine for this useful post.
Moderne Decay  
#39 Posted : 02 December 2015 11:30:43(UTC)
Moderne Decay

Man

Originally Posted by: SheWasInALine Go to Quoted Post
this is ridiculous.

It's sort of like waiting for an epic train wreck which has taken nine years in the making. Black eye On the other hand, New Order are getting even more free press now since most of these news articles keep mentioning the new album.
thanks 2 users thanked Moderne Decay for this useful post.
Alex_Loyal  
#40 Posted : 02 December 2015 13:02:23(UTC)
Alex_Loyal

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 16 post(s)

A bit odd what the NME are saying, Bernard started a new band with his old (BL) band mates, but they forget to mention Steve and Phil were already in NO before BL. We don't need these pricks confusing the story even more

thanks 2 users thanked Alex_Loyal for this useful post.
Alexey Fyodorovich  
#41 Posted : 02 December 2015 22:59:08(UTC)
Alexey Fyodorovich

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I really think Peter overstates his own importance in New Order. Yes, his bass playing was an important part of the band's sound, but it was far from the only thing that made the band so interesting and innovative, which was mainly due to the way they mixed post-punk with dance music and used samplers, drum machines and synthesizers in such new and interesting ways, which I think would have been remarkable even without Peter's bass playing.

Also, I can understand how he would ask to be compensated fairly given that he helped build up the New Order brand and that basslines that he wrote are being played by Tom Chapman live, but is he also compensating Bernard, Stephen and Gillian for playing music live as Peter Hook and the Light that they wrote?

Edited by user 02 December 2015 23:00:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Alexey Fyodorovich for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/12/2015(UTC), 79order on 03/12/2015(UTC)
Alexey Fyodorovich  
#42 Posted : 02 December 2015 23:18:43(UTC)
Alexey Fyodorovich

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 20 post(s)

I find it ridiculous that Peter would claim that Bernard "broke up" New Order by forming Electronic (although this is far from the only ridiculous statement that he has made since he left in 2007). I like Peter a lot, his bass playing in New Order is great (I even saw The Light and liked it quite a bit), but I really wish he would act in a manner that matches the musical legacy that he has left.

Edited by user 02 December 2015 23:22:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Alexey Fyodorovich for this useful post.
GotBlueEyes  
#43 Posted : 03 December 2015 04:28:01(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Was thanked: 556 time(s) in 312 post(s)

But that's essentially what I was saying, that he's taking issue with them continuing to use the name "New Order" without him, then somehow expecting to be paid for any money generated post-2011. All their current gigs, new merch and new material is their investment. If he hasn't contributed a single penny toward anything they done post-2011 to generate an income, he's no longer part of that investment.

You're right but I still think you're slightly missing the point. He still owns a part of the New Order name. They have struck a new deal to license the use of the name New Order which allows them to essentially continue gigging and releasing records under the New Order name. That's a powerful brand name and has made them demonstrably larger amounts of money than if they'd called Music Complete a Bad Lieutenant album. Hence the premium being paid to license the name "New Order". They are paying Hook 1.25% of the deal, which is admission on their part that his stake in the New Order name exists and therefore he is due something from the licensing deal. Hook's argument is that they made that decision without him and he thinks the percentage is too low. That's it. Nothing to do with him contributing anything to the band post-2011, it's about his stake in the brand.

Imagine you and 4 mates invented Coca-Cola, and you jointly own the brand name. Then you fall out and the other 3 license the name to a new company which means the new company can officially call their new fizzy pop "Coca-Cola" even though it's not really the same recipe that people associate with the Coca-Cola. But they strike this deal behind your back and decide that you will only get 1.25% of the deal, while they get the other 98.75%. That would seem a little unfair to me

thanks 2 users thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
Johnny James  
#44 Posted : 03 December 2015 04:38:15(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 954 time(s) in 439 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GotBlueEyes Go to Quoted Post
They are paying Hook 1.25% of the deal, which is admission on their part that his stake in the New Order name exists and therefore he is due something from the licensing deal.

They're not as such, they're paying themselves. The new company is paying the old company.

thanks 2 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Nick King  
#45 Posted : 03 December 2015 05:13:22(UTC)
Nick King

Man

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GotBlueEyes Go to Quoted Post

But that's essentially what I was saying, that he's taking issue with them continuing to use the name "New Order" without him, then somehow expecting to be paid for any money generated post-2011. All their current gigs, new merch and new material is their investment. If he hasn't contributed a single penny toward anything they done post-2011 to generate an income, he's no longer part of that investment.

You're right but I still think you're slightly missing the point. He still owns a part of the New Order name. They have struck a new deal to license the use of the name New Order which allows them to essentially continue gigging and releasing records under the New Order name. That's a powerful brand name and has made them demonstrably larger amounts of money than if they'd called Music Complete a Bad Lieutenant album. Hence the premium being paid to license the name "New Order". They are paying Hook 1.25% of the deal, which is admission on their part that his stake in the New Order name exists and therefore he is due something from the licensing deal. Hook's argument is that they made that decision without him and he thinks the percentage is too low. That's it. Nothing to do with him contributing anything to the band post-2011, it's about his stake in the brand.

Imagine you and 4 mates invented Coca-Cola, and you jointly own the brand name. Then you fall out and the other 3 license the name to a new company which means the new company can officially call their new fizzy pop "Coca-Cola" even though it's not really the same recipe that people associate with the Coca-Cola. But they strike this deal behind your back and decide that you will only get 1.25% of the deal, while they get the other 98.75%. That would seem a little unfair to me

Yes, but this has always been the case in the history of music, namely (but not limited to):
- Roger Waters & Pink Floyd
- Lol Tolhurst & The Cure
- Alan Wilder & Depeche Mode
- Rest of ELO & Jeff Lynne

etc etc etc

I quoted the above as there's probably been a legal precedence in some of the cases above - I'm not entirely sure what the outcome was? Roger Waters and the Floyd settled out of court...

Bands continue without founding members all of the time - most of the bands I followed in the 80's/90's have different line-ups...

Leaving aside Coca-Cola, does Steve Wozniak still profit from being one of the original people who set up Apple?

Anyway, has there been a case (aside from Bucks Fizz) where the legal system has successfully managed to prevent a majority of members continuing under the existing band name?

Just curious - obviously all of the above doesn't affect any of us personally - we just get to see two bands playing music more often (probably so that they can pay off the exorbitant legal bills)! Tongue

Cool
thanks 2 users thanked Nick King for this useful post.
Tony Casanova  
#46 Posted : 03 December 2015 05:24:34(UTC)
Tony Casanova

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Alex_Loyal Go to Quoted Post

A bit odd what the NME are saying, Bernard started a new band with his old (BL) band mates, but they forget to mention Steve and Phil were already in NO before BL. We don't need these pricks confusing the story even more

Right. Also - although it no doubt suits Hooky to elide the distinction - Steve was not a member of BL.
He got a co-write credit on 2 out of 16 tracks and played on 3. When they put a touring band together, Steve accepted the invitation. I don't see what's unusual about that.
The creative work was almost entirely conceived and put together by Cunningham/Sumner/Evans. The latter was, to anyone with ears, an important ingredient in a mix that rarely sounds like NO.

Edited by user 03 December 2015 05:25:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Tony Casanova for this useful post.
Tony Casanova  
#47 Posted : 03 December 2015 05:29:56(UTC)
Tony Casanova

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Nick King Go to Quoted Post

Just curious - obviously all of the above doesn't affect any of us personally - we just get to see two bands playing music more often (probably so that they can pay off the exorbitant legal bills)! Tongue

Cool

We might finally get that greatest hits collection we've been hoping for! Idea

thanks 2 users thanked Tony Casanova for this useful post.
Rorschach  
#48 Posted : 03 December 2015 08:35:24(UTC)
Rorschach

Was thanked: 369 time(s) in 258 post(s)
Hook's argument about co-creating the Neworder brand has legal merit, it is clear.

However, it must not go unrecognised that when he left the band (for this is what he did) he unilaterally sought to end Neworder as an entity in 2007, denying his former bandmates their living and their fans their favourite band of many a long year.

As if that was not bad enough, he the proceeded to spend many of the long years since referring to them as "so called Neworder", "New Odour" and many much worse personal insults. (Whilst all the time declaring his admiration for B&S as musicians, as if he was respecting some kind of ethical fucking code.) As for the stuff he said about Gillian, well - nuff said. And he was still carrying on this stupid charade with as recently as the risible "Music Incomplete" t-shirt stunt.

The clear conclusion is, Hook did everything he could over the last decade to destroy the brand he now seeks compensation for. And he sees fit to whinge about the others going behind his back? Really?

The new album is phenomenally good because he had fuck all to do with it, not poorer for missing his 'input'. He will have been desperate to slag off the new music, bass playing and everything to do with Neworder's current popularity and success because his ego is so ridiculously inflated but mercifully appears to have savvy enough lawyers to put a big dummy back in his gob, at least for time being.

I used to adore Peter Hook but for fucksake just throw him his pieces of silver and put some form of gagging order in the deal so I don't have to listen to the pathetic shitbag he has become any more.

thanks 5 users thanked Rorschach for this useful post.
Get Ready on 03/12/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 03/12/2015(UTC), 79order on 03/12/2015(UTC), Isi on 04/12/2015(UTC), DeckARep on 05/12/2015(UTC)
Get Ready  
#49 Posted : 03 December 2015 09:46:53(UTC)
Get Ready

Was thanked: 144 time(s) in 110 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rorschach Go to Quoted Post
Hook's argument about co-creating the Neworder brand has legal merit, it is clear.

However, it must not go unrecognised that when he left the band (for this is what he did) he unilaterally sought to end Neworder as an entity in 2007, denying his former bandmates their living and their fans their favourite band of many a long year.

As if that was not bad enough, he the proceeded to spend many of the long years since referring to them as "so called Neworder", "New Odour" and many much worse personal insults. (Whilst all the time declaring his admiration for B&S as musicians, as if he was respecting some kind of ethical fucking code.) As for the stuff he said about Gillian, well - nuff said. And he was still carrying on this stupid charade with as recently as the risible "Music Incomplete" t-shirt stunt.

The clear conclusion is, Hook did everything he could over the last decade to destroy the brand he now seeks compensation for. And he sees fit to whinge about the others going behind his back? Really?

The new album is phenomenally good because he had fuck all to do with it, not poorer for missing his 'input'. He will have been desperate to slag off the new music, bass playing and everything to do with Neworder's current popularity and success because his ego is so ridiculously inflated but mercifully appears to have savvy enough lawyers to put a big dummy back in his gob, at least for time being.

I used to adore Peter Hook but for fucksake just throw him his pieces of silver and put some form of gagging order in the deal so I don't have to listen to the pathetic shitbag he has become any more.

Brilliant. Won't stand up in court, but brilliant nonetheless.

thanks 3 users thanked Get Ready for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/12/2015(UTC), 79order on 03/12/2015(UTC), Isi on 04/12/2015(UTC)
truefaith1.0  
#50 Posted : 03 December 2015 09:52:52(UTC)
truefaith1.0

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I would have to agree with those who say Hooky is entitled to a small percentage of the post-2011 earnings New Order has generated given that he was an important contributor to the success of the band (and brand) from 1980 to 2006. However, if fairness was to be applied, his claim should be rendered null and void by his atrocious behaviour since 2007.

Although I would probably like to see the current line-up shoot this out in the courts, it might be best to draw up some sort of settlement and pay Hooky a lump sum(which he will have to return if he ever starts gobbing off about the current members again!). The only winners if this case goes to trial will be those leeching c*nts they call lawyers. Given the relatively modest income the band has enjoyed since returning to touring, they are better off protecting this as best they can rather than handing over truck-loads of cash to lawyers.

Gillian should counter-sue Hooky for earnings he has enjoyed from touring and new album sales between 2001 and 2011 too. By applying his logic, he should hand some cash back to her without complaint!Smile
thanks 3 users thanked truefaith1.0 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/12/2015(UTC), 79order on 03/12/2015(UTC), Get Ready on 05/12/2015(UTC)