logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NO Fan  
#1 Posted : 08 November 2015 07:27:15(UTC)
Deceiver

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 85 post(s)
thanks 3 users thanked Deceiver for this useful post.
Sage_ on 08/11/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2015(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 09/11/2015(UTC)
Sponsor
Old Blue  
#2 Posted : 08 November 2015 07:53:52(UTC)
Old Blue

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Went to that gig and was won over.

Then I'm reminded of what an arsehole he is whenever someone sticks a keyboard or dictaphone in front of him...
thanks 2 users thanked Old Blue for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2015(UTC), ersatz01 on 09/11/2015(UTC)
Sage_  
#3 Posted : 08 November 2015 08:33:50(UTC)
Sage_

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 164 post(s)
Hahah he says The Light will eventually perform Music Complete. Imagine that.
thanks 1 user thanked Sage_ for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2015(UTC)
Rorschach  
#4 Posted : 08 November 2015 09:45:33(UTC)
Rorschach

Was thanked: 369 time(s) in 258 post(s)
Not reading the article because his words are beyond meaningless to me these days.

"Hooky Incomplete." - I couldn't have put it better myself.
thanks 2 users thanked Rorschach for this useful post.
Stoo on 08/11/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2015(UTC)
lee  
#5 Posted : 08 November 2015 09:59:19(UTC)
lee

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 199 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Old Blue Go to Quoted Post
Went to that gig and was won over.

Then I'm reminded of what an arsehole he is whenever someone sticks a keyboard or dictaphone in front of him...

i went to his hull gig on the night music complete came out and like you was won over

then at the last encore he walks out with a copy of the days sun pretending to read the no interview and started slagging barney so thats the last light gig i go to

my mrs works in mental health and thinks he's going to have a breakdownEek

thanks 2 users thanked lee for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2015(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 09/11/2015(UTC)
Coops  
#6 Posted : 09 November 2015 04:34:52(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NO Fan Go to Quoted Post
Peter Hook Music Complete mock up

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/11/2015(UTC)
Second To None  
#7 Posted : 09 November 2015 06:07:08(UTC)
Second To None

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I agree, I think the word he has removed from his vocabulary is integrity...

Hooky get your act together...
thanks 1 user thanked Second To None for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/11/2015(UTC)
ersatz01  
#8 Posted : 09 November 2015 23:58:15(UTC)
ersatz01

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sage_ Go to Quoted Post

He doesn't have the chops to play People on the Highline. That's too sophisticated a bassline for his simplistic playing style.
thanks 2 users thanked ersatz01 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/11/2015(UTC), letsplayhooky on 10/11/2015(UTC)
LostSiren  
#9 Posted : 10 November 2015 08:18:34(UTC)
LostSiren

Was thanked: 218 time(s) in 176 post(s)
Not really disagreeing with anything anyone has said and not diminishing what a great album MC is, I kinda would love to hear what Hooky would bring to a lot of the tunes on the album.
thanks 1 user thanked LostSiren for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/11/2015(UTC)
truefaith1.0  
#10 Posted : 10 November 2015 10:22:06(UTC)
truefaith1.0

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 31 post(s)
For a person who left New Order behind him, he still seems to pay them an inordinate amount of attention. Each insult that escapes his mouth is damaging his "legal case" against the remaining members. I actually get the impression he envies the success New Order have enjoyed with Music Complete and wishes now that he was a part of that, all the while knowing that he could have been if he had somehow harnessed his demons. It's sad for New Order, Hooky and the fans.
thanks 1 user thanked truefaith1.0 for this useful post.
UpDownTurnAround  
#11 Posted : 10 November 2015 10:28:02(UTC)
UpDownTurnAround

Man

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 132 post(s)
I doubt they will ever work together again, but they could at least declare a ceasefire and become civil. I know I'm boring, but Hooky should reform Monaco and start writing new stuff. Old New Order is over; time to move on.
thanks 2 users thanked UpDownTurnAround for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/11/2015(UTC), Denial_1963 on 11/11/2015(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell  
#12 Posted : 10 November 2015 10:57:45(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: truefaith1.0 Go to Quoted Post
For a person who left New Order behind him, he still seems to pay them an inordinate amount of attention. Each insult that escapes his mouth is damaging his "legal case" against the remaining members. I actually get the impression he envies the success New Order have enjoyed with Music Complete and wishes now that he was a part of that, all the while knowing that he could have been if he had somehow harnessed his demons. It's sad for New Order, Hooky and the fans.

Ironically, if New Order released the same album with Hooky, it wouldn't have got the euphoric reviews. I guess the critics then would have written it off as more of the same. The surprise that the band can come up with a record like this without Hooky (who was always a bit overrated concerning his input in the general sound minus his bass) has build the momentum. Sumner is smart enough to exactly know what he can get away with it concerning a Hookyless New Order.
thanks 1 user thanked the_blank_from_hell for this useful post.
Moderne Decay  
#13 Posted : 10 November 2015 11:18:46(UTC)
Moderne Decay

Man

Was thanked: 121 time(s) in 98 post(s)
“I saw them promoting their new LP in a very safe and normal fashion,” he says. “It was quite sad – I was thinking we used to be so revolutionary, and now they’re boring old men.”

I don't see what New Order are doing now to promote the album that is any less different than what they've been doing since in the early 90s with Hooky still in the band. This statement is just pure bitter jealously, plain and simple.

Edited by user 10 November 2015 11:19:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Moderne Decay for this useful post.
markreed  
#14 Posted : 10 November 2015 11:58:39(UTC)
markreed

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Moderne Decay Go to Quoted Post
“I saw them promoting their new LP in a very safe and normal fashion,” he says. “It was quite sad – I was thinking we used to be so revolutionary, and now they’re boring old men.”

I don't see what New Order are doing now to promote the album that is any less different than what they've been doing since in the early 90s with Hooky still in the band. This statement is just pure bitter jealously, plain and simple.

Safe and boring, like being on Baywatch when Hook was in the band?
Safe and boring, like doing interviews in The Sun, which also happened when Hook was in the band?
Safe and boring, like playing on TV shows which also happened when Hook was in the band?

He's spunking so much goodwill by being so bloody angry about absolutely everything. As well as being factually inaccurate on certain things.
thanks 1 user thanked markreed for this useful post.
The Ruts  
#15 Posted : 10 November 2015 12:26:35(UTC)
The Ruts

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Originally Posted by: markreed Go to Quoted Post

Safe and boring, like being on Baywatch when Hook was in the band?
Safe and boring, like doing interviews in The Sun, which also happened when Hook was in the band?
Safe and boring, like playing on TV shows which also happened when Hook was in the band?

He's spunking so much goodwill by being so bloody angry about absolutely everything. As well as being factually inaccurate on certain things.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users thanked The Ruts for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/11/2015(UTC), Andy on 10/11/2015(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#16 Posted : 10 November 2015 15:25:26(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3616 time(s) in 2617 post(s)
Basically whatever they do Hooky will get arsey about. If they'd promoted the album in a really revolutionary way he'd moan about it. If they played a whole set live of songs they'd never played or hadn't played since 1982 he'd moan that they don't play the hits.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
letsplayhooky  
#17 Posted : 10 November 2015 15:56:35(UTC)
letsplayhooky

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ersatz01 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Sage_ Go to Quoted Post

He doesn't have the chops to play People on the Highline. That's too sophisticated a bassline for his simplistic playing style.

I must say that I was really impressed with the basslines for 2-8-Fruit-8 and People On the High Line. Thinking that was very John Taylor (Duran2) or Bernie Edwards. However, just having attended the Stockholm show, standing at the front rails right in front of TommyC, I saw that he is not playing as much as what is heard on the album --- e.g. lot some of the bass lines are synth based.

Love Hooky, love the Light, love New Order. Cheers!
thanks 1 user thanked letsplayhooky for this useful post.
The Consiglieri  
#18 Posted : 10 November 2015 22:56:30(UTC)
The Consiglieri

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Maybe it may come across as a bit cliché, but it seems very old hat, very straight forward and basically psych 101 when you look at the break up. In many ways it kind of seems like this is the third New Order break up since 1989. I don't know any of these people in the slightest, but like many of you I imagine, I have read innumerable things they've said over the decades, and what always came across to me was just the classic psychological contrasts between the individuals in the band: Bernard coming across like a solitary, insular guy, introverted, perfectionist, Hooky, the sort of pirate, outsized figured, loved touring, loved attention, loved being a part of a "gang", Stephen, the academic with the crystal clear long term recall, and detail orientation, and Gillian, and how the two of them might have seemed like the other two as they called themselves, but when you compared their work as solo artists, with that of Bernard or Hooky, it was patently obvious that they were the heart and soul of what made New Order's electronic oriented material so bottomless in it's depth and breadth. Electronic, Revenge, Monaco etc were never able to really capture what made New Order's electronic masterpieces so powerful-thieves, 5 8 6, Blue Monday, Your Silent Face, Sooner than you think, this time of night, BLT, Mr. Disco, Vanishing Point, Special etc, I can hear bits and pieces of those amazing songs in The Other Two. I never heard it in the solo work of Hooky, and Bernard, even in masterpieces like Some Distant Memory or What do you want from me.

However, back to the topic, when it comes to Hooky, it seems plain as day to me and it's a bit odd that Bernard and others don't seem to get it. Hooky was always so immensely proud of the music they built together, the band they created, the mark they've left on the history of music, like some of their hero's, like Velvet Underground when it comes to the sixties or seventies, New Order rarely makes it stateside in "I love the 80's" or 90's type retrospectives or greatest hits bits. But those that really know, those that really dig in, and paid attention know that New Order was every bit as inspirational in the decade as R.E.M. or U2 or Michael Jackson, or Metallica, or Madonna, or Public Enemy, NWA, or the Sugar Hill Gang etc. All of that means a ton to him obviously, and it seems clear to me that he comes across almost like an eager puppy, he needs attention, appreciation and a sense of his opinion being valued, he's demonstrative, vocal, overtly so, he's passion, in the cliché of fire and ice, obviously he's the fire, while Bernard's the cliche'd ice.

I don't know if his accusations are spot on, and it is interesting to see Gillian/Stephen basically staying on Bernard's side of the argument, whether that's pragmatism (he's the major song writer, or he's the one that's still creative) or if it's over Hooky being out of line I have no idea, though it seemed clear to me that they had big problems with both of them in the nineties and not just Hooky. It just seems like Hooky wanted more voice, Bernard wanted more control and less drama, and Gillian, and Stephen probably less drama too. It's clear who throws the dishes, and screams invective in this band/relationship, but it's not so clear to me whose to blame. I definitely feel that when Hooky did what he did, he wanted to be asked back, he wanted to be appreciated, he wanted some bended knee, some devotion from Bernard, maybe the band, in as much as he was devoted to it, or at least it's history. He didn't receive it, and now he's lashing out.

Maybe I'm just writing fiction in imagining this, but after 8 years of reading about these issues, it seems like the same problem, perpetually being recycled over and over, with Hooky being constantly in need of coddling, attention, and support, and Bernard just wanting peace, and some measure of control for stability (and considering the familial background, it makes sense, since there was so little stability and control in his formative years which tend to be the years that frame our personalties/temperament).

Anyway, that's why I can't get angry at any of them, particularly Hooky. He just seems like an immature guy crying out for the support he expected from the guy he thought had his back, and he didn't get it-the classic scenario of someone storming off saying "I'm leaving" not because they want to, but because they desperately want affirmations of support from their bandmates, and instead he got a cool response.

Regardless of what's behind it, it's nice to see that Music Complete is their best album since Republic and possibly Technique (since Republic had some god awful songs on it, and plenty of middling material to boot), over the past fifteen years I have moved on a nd found/discovered plenty of other bands I've loved from Saint Etienne, to Passion Pit, Koop, the knife, the Orange Peels, white stripes when they were around etc there is always interesting music out there, far more than when I first discovered New Order ('89), but I can honestly say I haven't heard work from New Order that's this impressive in more than twenty years, so props to them, it is incomprehensibly rare for any band, particularly a sort of pop band, to actually make music in their late fifties that would have any relevance to speak of to college students hitting the clubs, but they actually kind of have done just that. Outstanding.
thanks 3 users thanked The Consiglieri for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/11/2015(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 11/11/2015(UTC), the_blank_from_hell on 11/11/2015(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell  
#19 Posted : 11 November 2015 00:36:57(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The Consiglieri Go to Quoted Post
I definitely feel that when Hooky did what he did, he wanted to be asked back, he wanted to be appreciated, he wanted some bended knee, some devotion from Bernard, maybe the band, in as much as he was devoted to it, or at least it's history. He didn't receive it, and now he's lashing out.

Good post, thanks. But honestly, you can't work with someone who's functioning like that. The man was/is in his 50ies, stopped drinking and consciously wanted to break New Order to pieces, maybe to just have the last word after all he felt Sumner did to him, the ultimate revenge Tongue. Didn't quite work out in the long-run.

He felt sicked and tired of being (or feeling) second best, maybe he needed a psycho analyst (instead).

Edited by user 11 November 2015 00:37:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked the_blank_from_hell for this useful post.
Baggie Boiler on 11/11/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 11/11/2015(UTC), Denial_1963 on 11/11/2015(UTC)
Burai  
#20 Posted : 11 November 2015 04:13:32(UTC)
Burai

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: the_blank_from_hell Go to Quoted Post
I definitely feel that when Hooky did what he did, he wanted to be asked back, he wanted to be appreciated, he wanted some bended knee, some devotion from Bernard, maybe the band, in as much as he was devoted to it, or at least it's history. He didn't receive it, and now he's lashing out.

Good post, thanks. But honestly, you can't work with someone who's functioning like that. The man was/is in his 50ies, stopped drinking and consciously wanted to break New Order to pieces, maybe to just have the last word after all he felt Sumner did to him, the ultimate revenge Tongue. Didn't quite work out in the long-run.

He felt sicked and tired of being (or feeling) second best, maybe he needed a psycho analyst (instead).

You only need to read his comments over the past couple of years to understand why this couldn't have ever worked with him continuing.

It's like a broken marriage where you can't ever do anything right. They play new songs - not brave enough. They play old songs - they are copying him. They innovate - it doesn't sound like New Order. They play it safe - it's boring, New Order is about innovation. Tom mimes his bass, Tom copies his bass, Tom just simply cannot play bass, Tom does what he's told, Tom ruins the songs. And so on and so on.

As you say you simply cannot work with a person like that. Music Complete with Hooky would have been an absolute nightmare. Half of the tracks would have ended up on the cutting room floor because he wouldn't be able to get his bass into them, the other half with all of the subtle synth and rhythm guitar removed and replaced with his bass lines.

They are a better band now without him. That's not to say that they would have always been better off without him but it's pretty clear that in almost everything they've made since Technique he's been a hinderance and a burden.

I'd just love it if he could make his peace with it and move on but I just have a horrible feeling that this whole saga will end up consuming him for the rest of his life.
thanks 5 users thanked Burai for this useful post.
Baggie Boiler on 11/11/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 11/11/2015(UTC), ersatz01 on 11/11/2015(UTC), Denial_1963 on 11/11/2015(UTC), 79order on 17/11/2015(UTC)
ersatz01  
#21 Posted : 11 November 2015 07:19:14(UTC)
ersatz01

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Burai Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: the_blank_from_hell Go to Quoted Post

You only need to read his comments over the past couple of years to understand why this couldn't have ever worked with him continuing.

It's like a broken marriage where you can't ever do anything right. They play new songs - not brave enough. They play old songs - they are copying him. They innovate - it doesn't sound like New Order. They play it safe - it's boring, New Order is about innovation. Tom mimes his bass, Tom copies his bass, Tom just simply cannot play bass, Tom does what he's told, Tom ruins the songs. And so on and so on.

As you say you simply cannot work with a person like that. Music Complete with Hooky would have been an absolute nightmare. Half of the tracks would have ended up on the cutting room floor because he wouldn't be able to get his bass into them, the other half with all of the subtle synth and rhythm guitar removed and replaced with his bass lines.

They are a better band now without him. That's not to say that they would have always been better off without him but it's pretty clear that in almost everything they've made since Technique he's been a hinderance and a burden.

I'd just love it if he could make his peace with it and move on but I just have a horrible feeling that this whole saga will end up consuming him for the rest of his life.

That's right on. He works in absolutes, and has unhealthy competitive mentality. To him, everything is a battle or war, and now based on fears that the other's children are laughing at his children. It's like Yoda saying about fear leading to anger, anger eading to hate, hate leading to the dark side. I can't be a fan of that nonsense.

thanks 2 users thanked ersatz01 for this useful post.
Baggie Boiler on 11/11/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 11/11/2015(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#22 Posted : 14 November 2015 01:26:25(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Whatever the fuck they do he's gonna hate it. Journos are gonna keep interviewing him cos he's a legend but honestly, we all know what to expect. I really can't get excited about it any more.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Baggie Boiler on 14/11/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 14/11/2015(UTC)
NYGuy1975  
#23 Posted : 14 November 2015 09:13:34(UTC)
NYGuy1975

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)

Seriously, what is he even talking about?? He's really not taking this well at all.
thanks 1 user thanked NYGuy1975 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/11/2015(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#24 Posted : 16 November 2015 00:00:08(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
'... promoting their new LP in a very safe and normal fashion...' Does the word 'Republic' mean anything to you?
It's kinda awesome this is a fan group but even here everyone hates his comments.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/11/2015(UTC)
Coops  
#25 Posted : 16 November 2015 03:04:29(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
The worst part about it is that all his negativity is starting to affect how I hear him on the last couple of albums. Some of the GR, WFTSC and LS tracks, to me nowadays, sound like Hookys bass is proper shoe-horned in. As in, we have to have it in somewhere so just let it play all over that bit.
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/11/2015(UTC)