logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Silvina Hernandez  
#1 Posted : 07 July 2012 12:23:59(UTC)
Silvina Hernandez

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I´d like to know what do your friends and relatives think of New Order. I´ll tell you about my own family.

My Mum
The first time I showed my mum the videos for the first NO songs I had downloaded she said that the band focused more on the music than the lyrics, which is something obvious. She also said that Bernard´s singing voice was malodic but a bit "weak" (I think he might not be the best singer but I love his voice as it´s so unique). As time went by and she became more familiar with the songs, she started to like True Faith, BLT and Shellshock, which became her favourite songs. She also likes TLU. However, when I made a DVD with my favourite videos for my birthday party and showed her the 11 minutes video for The Perfect Kiss, which I love, she said it was too long as she likes songs to last no more than 4 minutes.

Regarding Bernard´s personality, she thinks he´s too serious so she was surprised when the other day she saw him laughing and smiling in the video of an interview with the band at Forbidden Fruit. But she´s less fond of Hooky as she says he´s big headed and doesn´t pay attention to his appearance. About Steve she says he looks like he hasn´t aged at all.

My Dad
He isn´t that familiar with the band´s music but the first time I listened to International he was around and said that The Perfect Kiss was "pretty upbeat". When I showed him some of the band´s videos he said that he didn´t understand them. And everytime I´m playing NO and he´s around I say to him: the singer´s name it´s the same as yours (my dad´s name is Bernardo, Spanish for Bernard), to which he allways asks: Is he German?.

My Cousins
They are 38 and 40 years old and when I asked them wether they knew the band they said they didn´t even knew the name (but when I played BLT to the youngest, she kinda recognized it), which is surprising as they were teenagers in the 80s.

thanks 1 user thanked Silvina Hernandez for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/07/2012(UTC)
Sponsor
Tim  
#2 Posted : 07 July 2012 16:03:37(UTC)
Tim

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 218 time(s) in 157 post(s)
Nice topic, and I think one that nobody has ever brought up before!

My Mum's well versed with many of the songs, used to play them when I was a kid and living at home still. Her favourite is Subculture, though she's probably never picked up on the lyrics. She hates Joy Division though.

My Dad never really had much to say about the band, I used to subject him to tapes on jourmeys. Not really his bag. Would love to be able to ask him the question.

My brother's seen them play in Portsmouth 84 and Malvern 86, wouldn't call him a fan really though.

My fiancee charges me £1 every time I mention the band, play a record etc. Her favourite track is Jetstream :)

Ex-wife came to a few gigs with me in 2002.
an old monkey...
thanks 1 user thanked Tim for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 11/07/2012(UTC)
Pyrtwist  
#3 Posted : 07 July 2012 17:10:47(UTC)
Pyrtwist

Was thanked: 490 time(s) in 413 post(s)
My wife enjoys them. We had to eat tickets to the Chicago 1993 gig (son born 2 days prior) and the 2005 Chicago gig (2 cars took $1000 shits). Did seem disappointed that I put a NO cd in the van the last time we drove a distance.

Oldest daughter now 21 loves Ceremony and listens to what Americans call "indie music" which Americans consider NO part of.
thanks 1 user thanked Pyrtwist for this useful post.
Bill  
#4 Posted : 08 July 2012 02:44:59(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
my brother like's 'em, well he did like em. came with me to NEC89, Reading 93 and 98. Though i get the feeling nowadays he thinks i'm a bit sad for still following 'emLoL

My Mum's never taken an interest in 'em. She did alert me to Pumped Full Of Drugs being aired about 1am on ITV back in about 1986 though!

Dragged a mate to Re:Order + Salford Lads Club (The Smyths) + Sarah Blackwood t'other night and he loved it

Edited by user 08 July 2012 03:43:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
Geri  
#5 Posted : 08 July 2012 02:55:26(UTC)
Geri

Woman

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 194 post(s)
Tim wrote:

My fiancee charges me £1 every time I mention the band, play a record etc. Her favourite track is Jetstream :)

That'll be a nice little earner for her. She won't be coming along to Lokeren then ?! Jetstream says it all Eek

Edited by user 08 July 2012 02:56:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I know, you know, we believe in a chosen few ...
thanks 1 user thanked Geri for this useful post.
Geri  
#6 Posted : 08 July 2012 03:04:51(UTC)
Geri

Woman

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 194 post(s)
My mother couldn't care less about New Order, although she does love Bernard's voice on Blue Monday = one line used for a Mars commercial ....

My husband likes New Order, goes to gigs when he can but doesn't feel too bad when he can't.

My son has decided he won't be joining us in Lokeren to see New Order Frown Can't be bothered he says. This is the boy who's been singing New Order songs since he was knee high.

My daughter loves New Order, reckons Bernard was very cute when he was younger, and can't wait to go to Lokeren for her first New Order gig. Was most upset that I didn't take her to Paris, but as she had school the next morning that wasn't an option. Thinks I'm very cool for taking her to see Interpol (twice), Robert Plant and now New Order, PiL and Echo and the Bunnymen :)

My big brother's comment when New Order was last mentioned: oh, they're still alive then .... cheeky get

My brother-in-law used to like them, but has now decided he prefers the JD tribute band instead. Whatever Roll Eyes..

Edited by user 08 July 2012 03:31:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I know, you know, we believe in a chosen few ...
thanks 1 user thanked Geri for this useful post.
Empress Touch  
#7 Posted : 08 July 2012 11:20:16(UTC)
Empress Touch

Man

Was thanked: 223 time(s) in 193 post(s)
It was my older brother who got me into New Order. I remember my father listening to Substance whilst driving and telling me: "Not you as well!".
thanks 1 user thanked Empress Touch for this useful post.
Dr Sheldon Cooper  
#8 Posted : 08 July 2012 12:13:19(UTC)
Dr Sheldon Cooper

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Many years ago in a town far far away.... well, Bracknell actually, I was a young man living at home with my mother.
One evening, whilst watching the video for Perfect Kiss on my treasured Substance VHS, my mother came into the living room and commented on Bernard's "silly haircut", which I then declared to be rather cool and that I wouldn't mind having my hair cut like that.
I suspect she wasn't a fan of the music either.

Most of my friends only know New Order for Blue Monday and World In Motion and aren't bothered by them one way or the other.

Very early in a relationship, one girlfriend enjoyed hearing my Technique CD and bought a copy for herself.
When she split up with me, I decided that she did not deserve to own such fine music and I discretely stole the CD from her collection (although I doubt she's ever missed it)... whilst I realise what I did was a minor and petty reaction to having my feelings hurt, I still think I did the right thing Big Grin
I learned that day that just because a girl says she likes New Order, it doesn't mean she is a good person and just because a girl doesn't like New Order, it doesn't mean she's wrong for me (I am happy to report I have met some lovely ladies who had no interest in NO whatsoever).
Marmite is a different matter though - any girl who doesn't like Marmite simply cannot be trusted and is probably inherently evil.

Edited by user 08 July 2012 12:14:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
thanks 1 user thanked Dr Sheldon Cooper for this useful post.
negative1  
#9 Posted : 08 July 2012 12:36:45(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1658 time(s) in 1152 post(s)
my brother and most of my friends like new order..

not in a completist, must have everything, and every mix way..

but they seem to like the commerical songs (true faith, bizarre love triangle),
and the more recent albums..

---
played some new order mix tapes for some people in college,
and they didn't really care for it.. but they were more
into pop music.

parents don't care for it at all..
but some stuff like electronic, that sounds
like pet shop boys goes over well..

later
thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
Cranelane  
#10 Posted : 08 July 2012 13:27:22(UTC)
Cranelane

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)
My sister saw them in concert here in 1986 with her then boyfriend but was not a major fan.

Once back around 1988 I was at an aunts house and I was having a conversation with my cousin who is older than me about music and he went off for a minute and came back with a bunch of photos he had taken of the band when they played in Cork in 1983, he had been standing at the front and reckoned they were unhappy with him doing this but they let him take the photos anyway. I was suitably impressed, sadly I have never since seen those photos and I rarely meet him now but I would love to get them scanned but it aint gonna happen.
He was a fan of early New Order and Joy Division and it was thanks to him that I heard UP,CLoser and Movement for the first time.

My mother like songs like True Faith,Temptation and No Love Lost (ok,I lied about the last one) Wink

BTY I saw that Live in Tokyo gig in October '87 on UTV, it was on late alright..

Edited by user 08 July 2012 13:28:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
Steve Morris's left drumstick  
#11 Posted : 08 July 2012 13:56:13(UTC)
Steve Morris's left drumstick

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 19 post(s)
While still living at home and constantly playing new order on my stereo my mum would casually observe (on 1963) "why's he singing about a man?". And on TLU "he's not a very good singer".

But she really liked the synthy tracks. So much so, that I gave her a tape of mine and she use to play along to it on her casio keyboard. I though this was pretty cool as she was about 58 at the time (1991 ish) and because she learnt the coda keyboard to vanishing point.
thanks 1 user thanked Steve Morris's left drumstick for this useful post.
By 'Eck! My Neck!  
#12 Posted : 08 July 2012 15:34:34(UTC)
By 'Eck! My Neck!

Man

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Well, put it this way, our dog Marbles likes to lick his bollocks each time a NO song comes on the stereogram.

Smile Cool
thanks 1 user thanked By 'Eck! My Neck! for this useful post.
Silvina Hernandez  
#13 Posted : 08 July 2012 16:06:45(UTC)
Silvina Hernandez

Nod
Quote:
I learned that day that just because a girl says she likes New Order, it doesn't mean she is a good person and just because a girl doesn't like New Order, it doesn't mean she's wrong for me (I am happy to report I have met some lovely ladies who had no interest in NO whatsoever).[
Quote:
Nod

Edited by user 08 July 2012 16:13:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

50poundnote  
#14 Posted : 09 July 2012 17:18:07(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 923 time(s) in 515 post(s)
My husband has been a fan for about the same length of time I have (25+ years). He's looking forward to seeing them live for the first time ever when they tour the US this fall.

He prefers New Order to Joy Division, and reckons Low-Life is his favorite of the albums.

Edited by user 09 July 2012 17:18:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
MemberD  
#15 Posted : 09 July 2012 23:02:21(UTC)
MemberD

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Like with many of the artists/bands I like my OH has become a fan ... I do a bit of singing ans he reckons I should ing NO songs, but I can't find a group who will play 'em!
Even my teenage daughter likes a lot of dancier NO stuff.. I think I got her to understand the importance of Blue Monday in shaping modern music ....
...I think I'll go there when it gets seasonable...
thanks 1 user thanked MemberD for this useful post.
Silvina Hernandez  
#16 Posted : 10 July 2012 15:23:44(UTC)
Silvina Hernandez

I forgot to tell you that my 3-year-old niece has pointed to my copy of International and asked me to play it twice in the past few days. But I think it´s just because she likes the cover as she´s not familiar enough with NO to know the songs. But she likes music anyway so she might become a fan like me Wink
Coops  
#17 Posted : 10 July 2012 22:58:12(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
My Mam hasnt a clue who NO or JD are. Although my Dad also wouldnt know who they are I do recall him liking True Faith in the car once, something about it "having a good beat". The wife likes the odd song and has sat through 24 HPP ("is that Peter Kay?") and Control, the latter of which she really enjoyed. The kids like the poppier numbers but then they also like Zingzillas so....
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
Pyrtwist  
#18 Posted : 19 July 2012 14:30:59(UTC)
Pyrtwist

Was thanked: 490 time(s) in 413 post(s)
home from work, playing the latest NO web streamed footage at volume. Had Open'er going at max volume and decided to switch gigs as 586 started. My 11 y/o daughter cries out, "What are you doing, that's my favorite New Order song!" So I let it continue. Parenting 101
thanks 1 user thanked Pyrtwist for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/07/2012(UTC)
Mike  
#19 Posted : 22 July 2012 12:32:24(UTC)
ROCKET MICK

Was thanked: 226 time(s) in 125 post(s)
I HAVENT got any family or friends so this is one question i will skip!Tongue
thanks 1 user thanked ROCKET MICK for this useful post.
No Barcode on 27/07/2012(UTC)