logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JG  
#1 Posted : 24 August 2015 03:23:58(UTC)
JG

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 418 time(s) in 289 post(s)

Hitting the newstands in London this weekend were new editions of all the three main UK music monthlys....Q, Uncut and Mojo. Each carried a positive review of Music Complete and contained the same message......this is the best New Order album since Technique.

Here's a summary of their ratings:

Mojo - 4 stars.....'ninth album lays claim to iconic status'

Q - 4 stars......includes a 20 page feature article, part historic and part focussed on the new LP which is commented on elsewhere on this forum. Well worth getting.

Uncut - 7/10.......'easily New Order's best album since Technique and their most diverse ever'

It's encouraging that three established music writers have all formed pretty much the same conclusion and are consistent in their praise.

thanks 5 users thanked JG for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/08/2015(UTC), DHLaw on 24/08/2015(UTC), Cranelane on 24/08/2015(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 29/08/2015(UTC), Rorschach on 18/09/2015(UTC)
Sponsor
Linus Solanki  
#2 Posted : 24 August 2015 03:58:58(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1011 time(s) in 642 post(s)
The excitement is really killing me, can't wait to listen to the album, I guess one more month before we get to listen to it. plus the Japanese Bonus track.

Edited by user 25 August 2015 03:34:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 2 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/08/2015(UTC), DHLaw on 24/08/2015(UTC)
LostSiren  
#3 Posted : 24 August 2015 05:21:27(UTC)
LostSiren

Was thanked: 218 time(s) in 176 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JG Go to Quoted Post

Hitting the newstands in London this weekend were new editions of all the three main UK music monthlys....Q, Uncut and Mojo. Each carried a positive review of Music Complete and contained the same message......this is the best New Order album since Technique.

Q - 4 stars......includes a 20 page feature article, part historic and part focussed on the new LP which is commented on elsewhere on this forum. Well worth getting.

Uncut - 7/10.......'easily New Order's best album since Technique and their most diverse ever'

It's encouraging that three established music writers have all formed pretty much the same conclusion and are consistent in their praise.

Thanks for posting! How many stars for Mojo & Q rank out of (5, 4, or something else?)
thanks 1 user thanked LostSiren for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/08/2015(UTC)
JG  
#4 Posted : 24 August 2015 06:50:16(UTC)
JG

Originally Posted by: LostSiren Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for posting! How many stars for Mojo & Q rank out of (5, 4, or something else?)

They both rank out of 5 stars.

thanks 1 user thanked JG for this useful post.
Debaser  
#5 Posted : 24 August 2015 08:06:42(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3000 time(s) in 2072 post(s)
Hey everyone. I think Linus is excited about new New Order music! I don't know if he can wait though. Just sayin....Smile

Originally Posted by: Linus Solanki Go to Quoted Post
The excitement is really killing me, can't wait to listen to the album, I guess one more month before we get to listen to it.

Quote:
I agree with you and can't wait to listen to the album also.

Quote:
That sounds great, can't wait to listen to the full album, the excitement is killing me, still have to wait 6 more weeks.

Quote:
Great to hear Bernards voice again, good single not bad at all, very excited to hear the new album.

Quote:
Can't wait to hear it and very excited about it, Let's hope the single release comes with some remixes and a B-side.

Quote:
They are still capable of making great music even at this age and stage in life.

Quote:
Thanks it sounds good, can't wait for the whole album, I don't know how I will get through waiting till sept to hear the whole thing, really super excited for the album.

Quote:
waiting till sept to hear something seem too long for me. Frown

Quote:
Great News, great news for a boring monday, very excited to hear it.

Quote:
Great news and can't wait for it

Quote:
That is amazing that your friend is getting to listen to the new album already, he is very lucky.

Quote:
Very good news

Quote:
I am very excited to hear it, summer can't come soon, hopefully we will hear a single pretty soon.

Quote:
Great News, very excited to hear the new stuff.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
LostSiren  
#6 Posted : 24 August 2015 12:08:23(UTC)
LostSiren

So the guy's excited. Why not collect all the negative crap people continually post? Does Michael Monkhouse, for instance, even like New Order?!
thanks 1 user thanked LostSiren for this useful post.
Debaser  
#7 Posted : 24 August 2015 12:20:07(UTC)
Debaser

So the guy's excited. Why not collect all the negative crap people continually post? Does Michael Monkhouse, for instance, even like New Order?!

I didn't say he was wrong to be excited. I'm just having some fun. No offence intended.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Coops  
#8 Posted : 24 August 2015 23:35:30(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Does Michael Monkhouse, for instance, even like New Order?!

Sounds like we need a poll. So..

Does Michael Monkhouse even like New Order?

A - Yes

B- No

C- There is no poll function on this forum.
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
Debaser  
#9 Posted : 25 August 2015 02:03:56(UTC)
Debaser

The Quietus review: Track by Track HERE.
Has he got all the track titles correct? Or have they changed some?

People on the High Line = New York Deli?
Nothing but a Fool = Unkle?
Superheated = 172?

thanks 6 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
JG on 25/08/2015(UTC), Cranelane on 25/08/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 25/08/2015(UTC), depthcharge on 25/08/2015(UTC), Fotz on 25/08/2015(UTC), Rorschach on 18/09/2015(UTC)
JG  
#10 Posted : 25 August 2015 03:00:40(UTC)
JG

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
The Quietus review: Track by Track HERE.
Has he got all the track titles correct? Or have they changed some?

People on the High Line = New York Deli?
Nothing but a Fool = Unkle?
Superheated = 172?

Suspect Luke's review copy of MC was issued while the track titles were still being finalised. Your three amendments there look right to me.

I went to a playback of WFTSC in 2005, only about 6 weeks before the album was released but most of the track titles had changed by the time I had the CD in my hand.

thanks 2 users thanked JG for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/08/2015(UTC), Andy on 25/08/2015(UTC)
JG  
#11 Posted : 25 August 2015 03:15:54(UTC)
JG

Some great quotes from Luke in that review..

"largely thrilling, progressive and fun, which ought to stand as a highlight of their career"

" 'Restless', by far and away the weakest moment on New Order's new album Music Complete"

"'Plastic'....it all goes rather Giorgio Moroder / 'I Feeel Love', Sumner's vocals sliding in around the arpeggios in a track that's their most sophsticated in years"

"a great house inflection before 'New York Deli' (People on the High Line) goes all Chic meeting Kraftwerk on a fruity dancefloor - which is exactly where New Order should be"

"'Unlearn This Hatred'....New Order go all techno. It's a batterer, this one, a futuristic take on 'Confusion'. Brilliant"

And so on...
thanks 2 users thanked JG for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/08/2015(UTC), depthcharge on 25/08/2015(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#12 Posted : 25 August 2015 03:21:01(UTC)
Linus Solanki

The review sounds very good to me, only a month away from now or maybe even earlier.
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 3 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/08/2015(UTC), Andy on 25/08/2015(UTC), Debaser on 28/08/2015(UTC)
LostSiren  
#13 Posted : 25 August 2015 04:41:59(UTC)
LostSiren

The review sounds very good to me, only a month away from now or maybe even earlier.

I'll admit it: I'm disappointed you didn't say you're excited for the new album
thanks 4 users thanked LostSiren for this useful post.
Cranelane on 25/08/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 25/08/2015(UTC), Andy on 25/08/2015(UTC), Debaser on 27/08/2015(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#14 Posted : 25 August 2015 05:25:13(UTC)
Linus Solanki

I'll admit it: I'm disappointed you didn't say you're excited for the new album

loll, ok I will say it, I am really excited to listen to it and the waiting is driving me crazy.
thanks 2 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/08/2015(UTC), Debaser on 28/08/2015(UTC)
Spittingcat  
#15 Posted : 25 August 2015 07:01:28(UTC)
Spittingcat

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 124 post(s)
Well... that Quietus review is getting me a bit excited...

I really like Restless, yet I want to hear stuff that's more BANGING, so if the album tracks are better than Restless AND feature far more in your face electronics, I'm sold.

Anyone else already feeling that Mr Morris really wanted to stamp his mark on this album? More so than on the last few?

And that "weak" track... Academic... is that the guitar track that they've released a YouTube clip of already? If so... I'm liking that as well. A lot. There might even be no weak tracks on the album for me at this rate... for the first time since... when? Technique?

Edited by user 25 August 2015 07:36:47(UTC)  | Reason: clip added

thanks 1 user thanked Spittingcat for this useful post.
depthcharge  
#16 Posted : 25 August 2015 07:19:45(UTC)
depthcharge

Was thanked: 311 time(s) in 190 post(s)
Some great quotes from Luke in that review..

Oh JG, you had me at "Restless is the weakest"!

I've read that some cats here are enjoying it but for me it's a clunker with ropier-than-ever lyrics.

My fear was if they were releasing the best track on the album, what unholy mess did we have in the wings? But it appears they might have, somehow, in true NO style, done the opposite.

Whoosh! Just laid down some notes for the deluxe vinyl set.

dC
thanks 2 users thanked depthcharge for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/08/2015(UTC), JG on 26/08/2015(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#17 Posted : 25 August 2015 08:10:54(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3616 time(s) in 2617 post(s)
Picked up the Q issue and Mojo today.Couldn't find Uncut, will try another day. The 20 pager in Q looks ace, one or two old photos i've never seen.Will read the full feature this evening. Was going to just read the Mojo review in the shop but saw they have a 2 page special on all the Cocteau Twins albums so had to buy it!
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
The Shadow  
#18 Posted : 25 August 2015 10:35:40(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Well I imagine after these reviews everyone on this forum is getting extremely excited. Good to see respectable sites like quietus are enjoying the album. If restless is the worst track then this album is going to be pretty damn good as I love restless even if as somebody says on the comments on the quietus for the fat and over 50's!

For the record Michael Monkhouse must be a new order obsessive judging by the number of comments he has made on this site,ctwisted or otherwise. I bet he is more excited than Linus for the new album
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
Andy  
#19 Posted : 25 August 2015 11:06:46(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3069 time(s) in 2142 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The Shadow Go to Quoted Post
Well I imagine after these reviews everyone on this forum is getting extremely excited. Good to see respectable sites like quietus are enjoying the album. If restless is the worst track then this album is going to be pretty damn good as I love restless even if as somebody says on the comments on the quietus for the fat and over 50's!

For the record Michael Monkhouse must be a new order obsessive judging by the number of comments he has made on this site,ctwisted or otherwise. I bet he is more excited than Linus for the new album

Chances are, Monkhouse is currently engorged with excitement. Don't worry, he'll get a hold of himself.

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/08/2015(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#20 Posted : 27 August 2015 08:04:52(UTC)
Fotz

Got the Uncut review today.It's the most gushing of the 3 magazine reviews so far, and also the longest at a pretty much full page. The Q one and the Mojo one though very positive were maybe a little short.

"Among its rich, eclectic, 65 minute sprawl, Music Complete contains a couple of contenders for the canon of all time New Order greats.One is the gold plated, weapons grade Eurodisco anthem Plastic.It's vivid, acid house plumage wrapped around a rubberised spine of Moroder esque electro.Meanwhile Sumner's deceptively warm vocal taps into his inner seam of sulky Salford sarcasm "You're so special/So iconic" he croons repeatedly before the killer kiss-off line "You're like plastic/so artificial/you don't mean nothing baby/so superficial" It's bitchy.It's trashy.It's fantastic."

"Another potential future classic is the roaringly romantic "Nothing But A Fool" .... A warm endorphin rush of jingle jangle guitars and softly glowing synths swimming around an inescapibly Hooky-ish bassline, this is vintage autumnal New Order, falling somewhere between the heart bruised majesty of Regret and the underrated, Springsteen sized Waiting For the Sirens' Call"

From that description i've got a feeling Nothing But A Fool is the second teaser snippet they released.I maybe proved wrong of course but the "warm endorphin rush of jingle jangle guitars and softly glowing synths" would seem to fit, no?

Edited by user 27 August 2015 08:35:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
LostSiren on 27/08/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 29/08/2015(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#21 Posted : 27 August 2015 08:33:23(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
Got the Uncut review today.It's the most gushing of the lot so far, and also the longest at a pretty much full page. The Q one and the Mojo one though very positive were maybe a little short.

"Among its rich, eclectic, 65 minute sprawl, Music Complete contains a couple of contenders for the canon of all time New Order greats"

Wow the build up for me is getting crazy high to listen to the album, I would even be happy with the 30 second clips on Amazon now.

thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/08/2015(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#22 Posted : 27 August 2015 08:53:10(UTC)
Fotz

Also a short interview with Steve.

one snippet "Because we weren't working with Hooky this time, we had to think about it more.I think it helped, really, it makes you work a bit harder"

It almost feels and seems now like Hooky has been holding them back the last few albums. Hi HookyHi
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#23 Posted : 27 August 2015 08:58:18(UTC)
Fotz

"New Order have never been a convincing rock band but they are often a brilliantly perverse pop band.And sometimes, just sometimes, a great soul band"

Yep. I've often found it soul music.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/08/2015(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 29/08/2015(UTC)
Get Ready  
#24 Posted : 27 August 2015 09:08:10(UTC)
Get Ready

Was thanked: 144 time(s) in 110 post(s)
Got the Uncut review today.It's the most gushing of the 3 magazine reviews so far, and also the longest at a pretty much full page. The Q one and the Mojo one though very positive were maybe a little short.

"Among its rich, eclectic, 65 minute sprawl, Music Complete contains a couple of contenders for the canon of all time New Order greats.One is the gold plated, weapons grade Eurodisco anthem Plastic.It's vivid, acid house plumage wrapped around a rubberised spine of Moroder esque electro.Meanwhile Sumner's deceptively warm vocal taps into his inner seam of sulky Salford sarcasm "You're so special/So iconic" he croons repeatedly before the killer kiss-off line "You're like plastic/so artificial/you don't mean nothing baby/so superficial" It's bitchy.It's trashy.It's fantastic."

"Another potential future classic is the roaringly romantic "Nothing But A Fool" .... A warm endorphin rush of jingle jangle guitars and softly glowing synths swimming around an inescapibly Hooky-ish bassline, this is vintage autumnal New Order, falling somewhere between the heart bruised majesty of Regret and the underrated, Springsteen sized Waiting For the Sirens' Call"

From that description i've got a feeling Nothing But A Fool is the second teaser snippet they released.I maybe proved wrong of course but the "warm endorphin rush of jingle jangle guitars and softly glowing synths" would seem to fit, no?

When I first heard Plastic I couldn't get Peter Hook out of my mind.
thanks 1 user thanked Get Ready for this useful post.
edspess  
#25 Posted : 27 August 2015 10:55:03(UTC)
edspess

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 31 post(s)

I thought Steve identified clip 2 (or clip 3 if we include the 8 second Restless teaser) as "Unlearn This Hatred" on the Radcliffe & Maconie show a couple of weeks back. Or did I just imagine that?

thanks 2 users thanked edspess for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/08/2015(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 29/08/2015(UTC)