logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
?(the best of)  
#1 Posted : 06 June 2015 23:26:16(UTC)
?(the best of)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 25 post(s)
An interview with Barney in this month's 80s nostalgia magazine suggests the new album isnt quite as imminent as suggested elsewhere. 10 tracks done, which the record company wanted, but barney wants another 4 finished. A couple of guitar tracks, but mainly old school raw electronics. Will be out October or November. Sounding fantastic.
thanks 1 user thanked ?(the best of) for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/06/2015(UTC)
Sponsor
Sage_  
#2 Posted : 06 June 2015 23:56:54(UTC)
Sage_

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 164 post(s)
Can you provide a specific source for this information?

Edited by user 07 June 2015 00:03:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Sage_ for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/06/2015(UTC)
?(the best of)  
#3 Posted : 07 June 2015 00:17:23(UTC)
?(the best of)

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Just found the name of it: Classic Pop magazine
thanks 1 user thanked ?(the best of) for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#4 Posted : 07 June 2015 01:23:58(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Bugger, i was kind of hoping for a September release and maybe a single released a month or two before. So Bernard wants 14 tracks on the album?
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Sage_  
#5 Posted : 07 June 2015 02:04:50(UTC)
Sage_

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 164 post(s)
So it's real.
I'm a little disappointed after reading the album was already finished, but on the bright side this news means more songs on it so the end result will be better.

Here's the full interview.
Classic Pop Magazine wrote:
What inspired the new album?
We came back to do a few shows, but they were getting better and better. We were enjoying it as much as the audiences, so an album just seemed like the next logical thing to do.

Are you pleased with the results
you’re getting so far?

The album sounds brilliant. I’m a very modest man, if it wasn’t I’d say, “it’s ok”. But we’re in the finishing run with about another two and a half tracks to write. We’ve mixed about seven tracks so it will be finished in the spring and out by autumn, maybe September or October.

A concise number of tracks, then?
We’ve actually got about 14 or 15 tracks; the label want 10, but I have to finish all of them. I can’t not finish something, it bugs me. If I only do the 10 tracks, I know it will keep bugging me for the next 10 years.

Sonically, there have been many different eras of New Order. How does this one compare?
It’s more electronic than the last two. It’s more hard-edged, crude electronics, like old-skool New Order. There are a couple of guitar tracks on there, but it really pokes you in the eye. I think it will surprise people, too.

Who have you worked with?
Tom Rowland from The Chemical Brothers is involved on a few tracks but most of it is produced by ourselves and mixed by Craig Silvey. We’ve found it an enjoyable process even though we’ve worked on it over a long period and in different places.

What has inspired your lyrics?
I find lyrics tend to either be about love or having a moan. When you’re younger it’s all about retaliation and getting your own back. Now the songs are about having a shit day, like someone reversing into my car or trying to get an erection.

Is writing music a different process for you these days?
It always depends on the music. I write about the atmosphere that’s derived from the music. The music has always come first, before the words.

Will you preview the new music live before the album comes out?
No, we aren’t touring, because we’ve been playing live for the last three years, so this year is all about recording the album and then taking a break to refresh our batteries. But we might do something in the autumn.

How did you feel about the recent petition to turn the Macclesfield home of Ian Curtis into a museum?
I’m torn. Obviously it’s good to honour Ian but another part of me thinks it’s a bit ghoulish. To me, it’s a place of sadness.

What music are you listening to?
I’m listening to the new New Order album and I work 12 hours a day on it, start at 12 and finish at 12; at the weekend I lay there with my tongue hanging out. I get up, walk straight into the studio, get pissed around seven o’clock and when I can’t drink anymore I go to bed. Which is about midnight – it’s like the life of a student, but with money.

So this is your booze album?
I only drink at work. It’s like the opposite of being a policeman. It doesn’t make me creative, it just makes me forget myself, and that’s the essence of creativity. I drink wine these days, rosé or white. Red makes me feel thirsty and tired, like I’ve got a nine-inch nail in my head.

So can we expect an official New Order brew or a bottle of plonk, like Madness, or Tony Hadley?
Funnily enough we’ve been asked. It’s not my thing, but I’m not ruling out my own set of underwear, or fragrance.

It will be New Order’s turn to receive Lifetime Achievement awards soon. Your feelings?
I don’t mind. I got asked to give one of those at the NME Awards recently and I thought they said Slade, but it turned out to be Suede. I had to rewrite my speech – I was expecting Noddy Holder. But Suede are a really good band.
thanks 3 users thanked Sage_ for this useful post.
Andy on 07/06/2015(UTC), Fotz on 07/06/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 08/06/2015(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#6 Posted : 07 June 2015 02:30:12(UTC)
Fotz

Laugh Laugh Bernard in cracking form in that interview.Funny as fuck.

How long ago did he do the interview though? He says it will be finished by Spring.I get the impression he did this interview quite a few months ago and am guessing (or hoping) that all 14 or 15 tracks are actually now finished/mixed.And he does seem to indicate October at the latest.
Johnny James  
#7 Posted : 07 June 2015 02:31:01(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)
The album is finished. The interview is a little old.

Due Sept/Oct.
thanks 2 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/06/2015(UTC), Sage_ on 08/06/2015(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#8 Posted : 07 June 2015 02:40:50(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Johnny James Go to Quoted Post
The interview is a little old.

Glad i'm not the only one who thinks thatSmile
Michael Monkhouse  
#9 Posted : 07 June 2015 04:18:41(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sage_ Go to Quoted Post
I can’t not finish something, it bugs me.

Digitalism track.
Stu Price album.
Bad Lieutenant sophomore.
Bernard, you spoil us.

Edited by user 07 June 2015 04:20:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#10 Posted : 08 June 2015 04:28:58(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1000 time(s) in 639 post(s)
Great news and can't wait for it
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
Coops  
#11 Posted : 08 June 2015 07:37:40(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
The fact that Slade have never won an NME award saddens me enormously. The fact that New Order will most likely be ignored by the, admittedly crap, Brit Awards does so equally.
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
Aracri  
#12 Posted : 08 June 2015 08:07:22(UTC)
Aracri

Man

Was thanked: 403 time(s) in 355 post(s)
New Order wrote about 14/15 songs. Mute wants 10 tracks on the record. It sounds like - who knows? - b-sides in the singles instead of remixes only. And I like the idea of a concise album.

And the band produced the largest part of that material. It looks positive. Their best LPs were produced by themselves.

Edited by user 08 June 2015 08:08:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter Who?

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked Aracri for this useful post.
Debaser  
#13 Posted : 08 June 2015 08:30:58(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Never mind Slade and Suede, I've got jucier stuff than that.

Sir Andrew of Weatherall has done a remix of a new New Order track. He finished it on Friday and I heard it on Saturday. And lo, it was good!

I didn't actually know it was NO at the time, but I liked the track enough to ask about it. Can't tell you the title I'm afraid (I did ask, but no dice). I don't think it was either of the tracks we have previously heard. My thoughts were that it was like a 90's Underworld track, but of course not one that I had ever heard.

I think it will be the first 'single'. I understand the track will be released soon.

thanks 3 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/06/2015(UTC), Fotz on 08/06/2015(UTC), Cranelane on 09/06/2015(UTC)
Mike  
#14 Posted : 08 June 2015 09:20:11(UTC)
ROCKET MICK

Was thanked: 223 time(s) in 122 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Johnny James Go to Quoted Post
The album is finished. The interview is a little old.

Due Sept/Oct.

The last album is the only New Order album I haven't yet purchased! I will be getting this new one though. Thanks for this information. Will they be touring in Britain at the end of 2015?

Michael Monkhouse  
#15 Posted : 08 June 2015 10:18:42(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

TRUTH

BS

An exclusive new inteview with Bernard Sumner you can read HERE or all over the Net

- So Barney, how ya doin'?
- I feel great! I feel fucking shit actually, but that's great too.
- Great. So what's the story with the new album?
- I can honestly say it's nearly finished, which is great 'cos we haven't started it yet. It isn't an LP, it's a EP. The thing is, if you do an LP that's as many as 2 or 3 tracks, whereas if you do an EP it's less, around just 14 tracks, but the record label wants more - between 13 and 12 - so I'm going for 32. I guess it's easier to do 33 good tracks than 4 shit ones.
- Mmmm. What stage of recording are you at?
- I can categorically state that I've completed the final mixing of all 28 tracks - all I have to do now is record them, and then get down to writing them in the first place. It's funny. In the old days I used to write songs and then we'd record them together and finally do a final mix, but I find that kind of boring and old-fashioned these days. I'd much rather mix a song I haven't written - THEN give it to the band to record in the studio - and THEN - AND ONLY THEN - do I feel confident and relaxed enough for the creative process of writing them to kick in.
- Right... Do you have a release date?
- Well it's tricky. Our record label would like a Christmas release, which presumably means between August and June, but I'm more into Spring - y'know, November or January. All I can say is it'll be a vinyl release on 7" CD but on digital format on-line only, so I can do book-signing sessions in Greece.
- Thanks. And the style?
- Well, New Order's always been a hybrid band, which means a combination of disco songs and rock songs, so this shall continue the tradition 'cos all the songs will be disco, apart from the two rock ones, which will be disco too. Steve and Gillian want to do an instrumental too, which is great as long as I can sing on it. The songs sound fantastic and wondrous and stunning and awesome and great, and I am modest.
- Right. Any titles?
- No. The only titles we have so far are 'Wannabe', 'Say You Will Be There', '2 Become 1', 'Spice Up Your Life' and 'Too Much', but these are all Spice Girls songs. And I can sincerely state, this is not the Spice Girls. It's New Order! Gillian was a girl once, but to my knowledge never a Spice Girl! (laughs) I'd just like to point out that I hate Spice Girls songs, they're massively over-rated, except for the actual tracks which they recorded, as I love them and can't believe how under-rated they are. I also like Joy Division.
- Well thank you Bernard, and I'm sure that's set the record straight once and for all.

Edited by user 08 June 2015 10:23:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Fotz on 08/06/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 08/06/2015(UTC), No Barcode on 10/06/2015(UTC), DeckARep on 14/06/2015(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#16 Posted : 08 June 2015 10:29:54(UTC)
Fotz

Laugh Superb stuff, Mr Monkhouse.Thanks for making me cry with laughter on an otherwise dull Monday.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse on 08/06/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 08/06/2015(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#17 Posted : 08 June 2015 10:34:01(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Thank you! It was mulling in my brain all day and I had to write it.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/06/2015(UTC), CuanaD on 20/07/2015(UTC)
Aracri  
#18 Posted : 08 June 2015 11:05:23(UTC)
Aracri

Man

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Sir Andrew of Weatherall has done a remix of a new New Order track. He finished it on Friday and I heard it on Saturday. And lo, it was good!

I didn't actually know it was NO at the time, but I liked the track enough to ask about it. Can't tell you the title I'm afraid (I did ask, but no dice). I don't think it was either of the tracks we have previously heard. My thoughts were that it was like a 90's Underworld track, but of course not one that I had ever heard.

I think it will be the first 'single'. I understand the track will be released soon.

How you got the information on this level? Skeptic

Edited by user 08 June 2015 12:34:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter Who?

UserPostedImage

The Shadow  
#19 Posted : 08 June 2015 13:19:54(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
It's looking promising for the new album I like the fact it is mainly self produced. 14 songs seems quite a lot for new order, hopefully no filler. Would sooner an album had 8 or 9 fantastic songs like PC&L, lowlife or technique rather than 8 or 9 really strong tracks with a few average at best ones tagged on. Be good to have a 12" only as vinyl is back in vogue, with a b side that will not be on the album as they have not done that since HTS. Hopefully a couple of one off gigs sometime later this year
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/06/2015(UTC)
Debaser  
#20 Posted : 09 June 2015 07:52:43(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Aracri Go to Quoted Post

The person who confirmed it to me ended up saying "I probably shouldn't say any more". They may not want me mentioning them by name on here until nearer the release. If I were making this up though, I'd look a bit silly if a new Weatherall remix of NO didn't materialise.

Incidentally where I said it sounded like Underworld, it probably had a slightly more 'Rock' edge to it than Underworld. I'm surprised I didn't recognise Bernards vocals. Maybe they've been processed in the remix.

Edited by user 09 June 2015 07:59:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/06/2015(UTC), Fotz on 09/06/2015(UTC)
Aracri  
#21 Posted : 09 June 2015 08:32:40(UTC)
Aracri

Man

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Aracri Go to Quoted Post

The person who confirmed it to me ended up saying "I probably shouldn't say any more". They may not want me mentioning them by name on here until nearer the release. If I were making this up though, I'd look a bit silly if a new Weatherall remix of NO didn't materialise.

Incidentally where I said it sounded like Underworld, it probably had a slightly more 'Rock' edge to it than Underworld. I'm surprised I didn't recognise Bernards vocals. Maybe they've been processed in the remix.

So we should suppose your contact may be someone quite close - or even inside - of the record company, doesn't it? Confused

Peter Who?

UserPostedImage

ROCKET MICK on 15/06/2015(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#22 Posted : 09 June 2015 10:50:31(UTC)
Fotz

Was it that Field Day festival in Victoria Park, London last weekend where Weatherall played the track?
ROCKET MICK on 10/06/2015(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#23 Posted : 13 June 2015 06:50:04(UTC)
Fotz

:tapsfingers: :sighs: Getting quite impatient for an official release date announcement for the new album or even just a single.I mean, most new album release dates are officially announced 3 months or more ahead of their release aren't they? For example Disclosure's new album for release on 25th September 2015 was announce last week (7th June).NO's Waiting For The Sirens Call release of 29th March 2005 was officially confirmed in December 2004 .Sorry, i'm bored and restless on a Saturday afternoon waiting for the washing machine to finish its cycle before i can go out.As you wereSmile
Andy  
#24 Posted : 15 June 2015 09:44:35(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The Shadow Go to Quoted Post
It's looking promising for the new album I like the fact it is mainly self produced. 14 songs seems quite a lot for new order, hopefully no filler. Would sooner an album had 8 or 9 fantastic songs like PC&L, lowlife or technique rather than 8 or 9 really strong tracks with a few average at best ones tagged on. Be good to have a 12" only as vinyl is back in vogue, with a b side that will not be on the album as they have not done that since HTS. Hopefully a couple of one off gigs sometime later this year

Knowing Mute's recent history, I'd be more inclined to think any extra tracks would be earmarked for a "deluxe" version of the album as opposed to a physical single release.

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
No Barcode  
#25 Posted : 19 June 2015 11:12:28(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
New Order has posted a 5-second snippet of "something" on Facebook.
thanks 2 users thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/06/2015(UTC), Sage_ on 20/06/2015(UTC)