logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NotAMod  
#1 Posted : 25 January 2015 09:17:40(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1033 time(s) in 653 post(s)
Not sure if this has been mentioned on here yet but Stephen Morris has done some "guest drumming" on the new Charlatans album "Modern Nature".

He features on track 6 "Emilie" obviously helping out after the sad passing of Jon Brookes to which the album is dedicated.

Tim Burgess is a famous New Order fan and Steve & Gillian performed with The Charlatans at the Jon Brookes tribute gig at the Royal Albert Hall a couple of years ago.

Must confess the last Charlatans album I seriously paid attention to was "You Cross My Path" back in 2008 which was great and very New Order-ey.

EDIT: Have been informed by a reliable source that Steve also features on 'Trouble Understanding'.

Edited by user 26 January 2015 08:19:27(UTC)  | Reason: Update.

thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/01/2015(UTC)
Sponsor
No Barcode  
#2 Posted : 31 January 2015 01:43:10(UTC)
No Barcode

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NotAMod Go to Quoted Post

Must confess the last Charlatans album I seriously paid attention to was "You Cross My Path" back in 2008 which was great and very New Order-ey.

Same here. 'Oh Vanity' was basically WFTSC. After 'You Cross My Path' I tried to listen to their earlier stuff and later work but just couldn't get into it.
thanks 1 user thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 31/01/2015(UTC)
NotAMod  
#3 Posted : 02 February 2015 06:52:34(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1033 time(s) in 653 post(s)
They've had some good singles over the years but I'm less familiar with the albums (only got Tellin' Stories and YCMP).

I would recommend the "Forever. The Singles" compilation from 2006 as a decent introduction. I bought it before seeing them at a festival in 2007 and still listen to it now and then. It was nice to see them doing such a NO influenced record immediately after but the album after that one kind of passed me by. I've bought the new one "Modern Nature" last week and while on the first few listens it understandably sounds a bit more muted and reflective in places the reviews from the music press have been pretty strong so far.

I've just remembered there's a b-side from the YCMP sessions called "Set Me Free" which sounds like pure NO (in a good way). Worth checking out if you've not heard it.
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/02/2015(UTC)