logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DHLaw  
#1 Posted : 21 January 2015 10:33:45(UTC)
DHLaw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Here is a link to a Rolling Stone piece on the much-anticipated album:

http://www.rollingstone....ter-hook-20150121?page=2
Rolling Stone New Order article
thanks 4 users thanked DHLaw for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/01/2015(UTC), Andy on 21/01/2015(UTC), Ddbbkk on 24/01/2015(UTC), 79order on 29/01/2015(UTC)
Sponsor
Debaser  
#2 Posted : 21 January 2015 16:00:44(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3010 time(s) in 2075 post(s)
"The band has thus far completed two tracks: "Plastic" and "Restless," which features Chemical Brother Tom Rowlands".

However in the Q article we are told, "The band worked with Tom Rowlands of The Chemical Brothers on Singularity, along with two other tracks, Tutti Frutti (“A kind of slow-tempo disco groove,” says Sumner) and Unlearn This Hatred".

So have they changed one of the tracks named in the Q article to (or from) Restless?
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/01/2015(UTC)
Bill  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2015 08:02:49(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
The new album will be synth/dance orientated?So it'll be like that deadly dull, tuneless and dated Guilt Is A Useless Emotion crap off WFTSC then.Or, god forbid, Here To Stay.Ugh.

Edited by user 29 January 2015 08:04:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/01/2015(UTC)
No Barcode  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2015 22:48:20(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bill Go to Quoted Post
The new album will be synth/dance orientated?So it'll be like that deadly dull, tuneless and dated Guilt Is A Useless Emotion crap off WFTSC then.Or, god forbid, Here To Stay.Ugh.

Spot on; my exact concerns! Now I wouldn't mind another 'Sugarcane'
thanks 1 user thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 30/01/2015(UTC)
Debaser  
#5 Posted : 30 January 2015 03:11:08(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3010 time(s) in 2075 post(s)

Haven't NO been making synth/dance orientated music on and off since about 1982? Would you prefer another Get Ready?
Also, Here To Stay is good!

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 30/01/2015(UTC), DHLaw on 05/02/2015(UTC)
Johnny James  
#6 Posted : 30 January 2015 03:29:46(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 954 time(s) in 439 post(s)

Two of their better tracks, so hopefully yes.
thanks 2 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 30/01/2015(UTC), DHLaw on 05/02/2015(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#7 Posted : 30 January 2015 04:55:15(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
"The band has thus far completed two tracks: "Plastic" and "Restless," which features Chemical Brother Tom Rowlands".

However in the Q article we are told, "The band worked with Tom Rowlands of The Chemical Brothers on Singularity, along with two other tracks, Tutti Frutti (“A kind of slow-tempo disco groove,” says Sumner) and Unlearn This Hatred".

So have they changed one of the tracks named in the Q article to (or from) Restless?

I wouldn't get too excited about every single detail they spout. By the time the album comes out it'll be different and we'll love it or hate it or not give a shit. But with all this talk of synth and Bernard and 'Unlearn This Hatred', I just hope it's gutsy and not another tedious Repoooooohhhhblic / Erase The Pressure yawnfest.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Big Mouth Julio  
#8 Posted : 30 January 2015 16:05:27(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

Was thanked: 346 time(s) in 318 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

Would you prefer another Get Ready?

Yes, please!!! Big Grin
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
thanks 1 user thanked Big Mouth Julio for this useful post.
Mr disco  
#9 Posted : 31 January 2015 15:47:47(UTC)
Mr disco

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)

I agree GIAUE is kinda dull, but I actually liked Here to Stay. I feel like that was their last really good dance single.
thanks 1 user thanked Mr disco for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/02/2015(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#10 Posted : 31 January 2015 18:51:19(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
Being optimistic , as nearly every song has merit since they began, I am inclined to find a great amount of satisfaction with new songs by Bernard and co. Bernard and David Gilmour are the best representatives of pop music of my lifetime , displaying human qualities I most admire, besides being quite cool and hot throughout their respective careers, with more on the way by both. I rather admire Mick Jagger as well.
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/02/2015(UTC)
NotAMod  
#11 Posted : 02 February 2015 03:38:41(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
I like "Guilt Is A Useless Emotion" but thought the album version sounded a bit too Madonna-esque for me; Stuart Price seemed to take the song and turn it into an out-take from her "Confessions On A Dance Floor" album which jarred with the rest of WFTSC. I was glad they put Mac Quayle's Vocal Mix as a bonus track on the US pressing because it's genuinely very good and returned the song to more of a rounded band sound. It arrives out of nowhere with this thumping beat and a flawless blend of guitars/electronics. If that version had been on the regular album instead then I think it would've been better received by some fans who currently don't rate it.

My only hope for the new stuff is that they leave a few rough edges on the production so it's not too 'clean' sounding. Aside from that, I'm really looking forward to something other than guitars driving the tune for a change (although I hope they keep some guitar). Bernard's had (solo) high points over the years with electronic music in general (Out Of Control, Miracle Cure) and Steve & Gillian ventured into Underworld-ish territory comparatively recently with "Swing" so let's see where all that leads.
thanks 2 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/02/2015(UTC), Sage_ on 03/02/2015(UTC)
No Barcode  
#12 Posted : 04 February 2015 16:50:49(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Hook in his recent interview said that without him, there is no artistic battle anymore in New Order, hence whatever weaknesses Sumner as a musician possesses won't be offset: there's no one left who would dare to disagree with him. Actually, that's a good point to concern about. Technically, we already had a new New Order album, with Bad Lieutenant, which was Sumner+Cunningham and Morris. At the time Bernard said he was very proud of the hard work they did, but I, for one, never liked it. It was missing something important, and I'm not talking about the bass. Structures, melodies, lyrics, everything was just not my cup of tea, no matter how much I wanted to enjoy it. So what's different this time?

By the way, on my way home I was listening to 'Someone Like You' and 'Here to Stay' - it struck me how bad the beats were. Both are amazing songs, but somehow fucked up by producers. The former has muffled drums and thin hi-hats (what was good for 1979, obviously was not working in 2001, especially when the drums were synth-processed, making it sound very generic). 'Here to Stay' has this bland Chem Bros percussion production that dates very fast.
thanks 1 user thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 04/02/2015(UTC)
NotAMod  
#13 Posted : 05 February 2015 03:46:24(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Originally Posted by: No Barcode Go to Quoted Post
Technically, we already had a new New Order album, with Bad Lieutenant, which was Sumner+Cunningham and Morris.

I don't think so. The core line-up of Bad Lieutenant was Bernard Sumner, Phil Cunningham and Jake Evans who between them co-wrote the lion's share of the material. The majority of drumming in the studio was done by either Jack Mitchell (of Marion) or Matt Evans (Jake's brother I think). Steve co-wrote and played on just two tracks - Running Out Of Luck & Runaway - plus did a bit of programming on Poisonous Intent so 3 out of 15 songs is hardly "technically a new New Order album". I don't think Steve was involved with the initial seeds of the BL project (that was Bernard, Phil, Jake and Alex James from Blur) but later joined when Bernard asked him to hence his relatively small involvement in the record. I remember reading at the time that Steve was busy with other projects.

Some people maybe assumed because Steve played drums live with Bad Lieutenant that they were more of a New Order-y collaboration than they actually were. If you read the album credits in the CD booklet (or on Discogs) he was basically an occasional guest on Never Cry Another Tear; a bit like the Pet Shop Boys on the first Electronic album.

By comparison I think it's safe to assume that Steve was very much involved in the creation of this 'new' New Order album from day one so it's obviously quite a different song-writing dynamic to Bad Lieutenant. Not to mention Gillian's also involved (those Other Two albums didn't write themselves did they?).

Edited by user 05 February 2015 05:55:31(UTC)  | Reason: Tidy.

thanks 2 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
DHLaw on 05/02/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 06/02/2015(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#14 Posted : 05 February 2015 04:18:55(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1013 time(s) in 643 post(s)
I am very excited to hear it, summer can't come soon, hopefully we will hear a single pretty soon.
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 2 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
DHLaw on 05/02/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 06/02/2015(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#15 Posted : 06 February 2015 02:27:01(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Wake me up when there's a release date.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/02/2015(UTC)