logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : Which act has a better live representation of New Order & Joy Division?
Choice Votes Statistics
  New Order (Without Peter Hook)
62 %
  Peter Hook & The Light
37 %
  Total 8 100%
Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shortwaveboy  
#1 Posted : 22 November 2014 07:56:16(UTC)
shortwaveboy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I saw Peter Hook & The Light last week in Montreal and New Order a couple of years ago in Toronto. The question everyone kept asking me afterwards was which was better. I jotted down some thoughts on my blog: http://daddyjunior.com/2...er-who-played-it-better/

What do you think?
thanks 1 user thanked shortwaveboy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/11/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
LostSiren  
#2 Posted : 22 November 2014 12:35:26(UTC)
LostSiren

Was thanked: 218 time(s) in 176 post(s)
I saw Peter Hook & the Light in Boston a couple of weeks back. While an enjoyable show, and to was great to hear Brotherhood live in particular, come on, New Order sounds better at it all (having seen New Order in Boston last summer). Partly it's enthusiasm -- The Light felt a little rote and he addressed the crowd once, pretty much at the end. Partly it's Jack, who plays well mind you, but does not have the stage presence of his father. Partly it's Hooky's voice -- a lot of the songs really should be sung by Pottsy. And while everyone criticizes Sumner for his "come on!"s, Hooky has a weird echo effect thing go when he yells a word, so they are equal on annoying live quirks. I say, with the rubber bear guy at bass for NO, whatever his name is, the bass is pretty much a push, maybe sleigh edge to the Light.

Edited by user 22 November 2014 12:40:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked LostSiren for this useful post.
shortwaveboy  
#3 Posted : 22 November 2014 13:07:14(UTC)
shortwaveboy

Hooky's voice is not ideal for a lot of the New Order material, but he's pretty bang on with the Joy Division material. And I always thought that Barney failed to capture that essence when performing JD tracks (although I enjoy what's he's done with Love Will Tear Us Apart in making it more joyous). The bass player for NO is the one that really disappointed. He was ok, but it's a lead instrument in most of their songs so he has to be better than ok. Jack was low key but played the music as it should be played. Plus, Hooky jumped in on really iconic bass parts.
CTB  
#4 Posted : 23 November 2014 03:00:32(UTC)
CTB

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shortwaveboy Go to Quoted Post
I saw Peter Hook & The Light last week in Montreal and New Order a couple of years ago in Toronto. The question everyone kept asking me afterwards was which was better. I jotted down some thoughts on my blog: http://daddyjunior.com/2...er-who-played-it-better/

What do you think?

While admittedly that NO set is not all that inspiring compared to other NO sets since, it's a bit unfair calling it just a greatest hits set; there's 5 album tracks there in set of 17..keep in mind also that NO have added more tracks to the setlists since, including 2 brand new ones....how much new material has the Light done again?

I know it childish to take sides, but as an idea I prefer NO (with Tom as replacement for the guy that left) to the Light - as a minimum, I'd have hoped Hooky would at least play all the bass in the Light; after all, that's what he did in JD and NO. If he did that, and let others do the vocals, then that would have more integrity to me. From what I've seen he plays, what, 20% of the basslines in a Light set? No offence, but it's irrelevant how well Jack plays the bass (or any of the others do their bits, to be fair), as he (and the rest of them) were't in JD and NO, and that is kind of my point. It's a cover band.

Hooky's assuming a role in the Light he never had in either of the other bands (leader/singer) at the expense of actually playing that brilliant, distinctive bass. That aspect of the Light - and it's a big part - doesn't ring true to me...well, that and his undignified but predictable, bitter slagging of his former bandmates at every opportunity, but that's getting off topic.

thanks 1 user thanked CTB for this useful post.
shortwaveboy  
#5 Posted : 23 November 2014 06:49:00(UTC)
shortwaveboy

I guess Hook's point is that New Order is also a cover band without him. But I take your point on new material. If the current lineup of New Order actually start producing albums (or even a single album), they certainly differentiate themselves.

As much as Hook slags what the rest of NO have done in reforming without him, I've never heard him slag their contributions to the music or capabilities as artists.

I certainly don't want to come off as taking Hook's side here. I was just surprised at how much I enjoyed his show and tried to do a true comparison of my personal experiences.
tapebias  
#6 Posted : 23 November 2014 10:28:14(UTC)
tapebias

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 156 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shortwaveboy Go to Quoted Post
I guess Hook's point is that New Order is also a cover band without him. But I take your point on new material. If the current lineup of New Order actually start producing albums (or even a single album), they certainly differentiate themselves.

That's a fairly subjective viewpoint. Seeing NO live with Hook towards the end was a fairly depressing experience due to his onstage antics, bellowing down the mic and roaming the stage like a demented buffalo.

I think the point of New Order now is to tone down his parts as much as possible and feel the new bassist is adding a wider dynamic to the sound than PH. I don't want to see NO play any JD songs or do chronological album tours so the current set-list is probably about right (its never going to be perfect) - remember St. Bernard composes and sings all the songs so not sure how it can be seen as a cover band (unless yr PH).

PS: If you want to hear some JD songs delivered with a bit more spirit than The Light (imo) check out Jez Kerr (ACR). yo

thanks 1 user thanked tapebias for this useful post.
Aracri  
#7 Posted : 24 November 2014 16:07:44(UTC)
Aracri

Man

Was thanked: 403 time(s) in 355 post(s)
I saw Hooky & The Light live on three different tours: Unknown Pleasures (2011), Movement + PC&L (2013) and Low Life + Brotherhood (this year). And I saw the current New Order lineup five times: 2011, 2013 and three concerts in march/april this year. I really like both shows, each one in your own way. The great thing about The Light is the chance to see live again the very old stuff, never-played-live-songs and things like that. The negative points for me are: Hooky's voice doesn't sound good for the New Order's stuff and the arrangements are very similar to the original ones. The finest thing about New Order is how the band play the classics in a different mood, mashing up samples of the remixes or even Peel Sessions ("5-8-6") with the live performance. Hooky, evidently, is unreplaceable, but Tom Chapman is doing a good job and have his own style so I respect it. But the major problem with New Order live today is playing the same set again and again. On the other hand, the new N.O. material ("Singularity" and "Plastic") sounds really good for me on stage, so I expect a decent EP or album in the future.

Edited by user 24 November 2014 16:13:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter Who?

UserPostedImage

thanks 2 users thanked Aracri for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/11/2014(UTC), shortwaveboy on 25/11/2014(UTC)
Andy  
#8 Posted : 25 November 2014 14:00:39(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3069 time(s) in 2142 post(s)
Just attended Peter Hook and The Light gig at San Francisco's Mezzanine. The New Order gig I attended at the Bill Graham Civic is recent enough that the values of each are fresh in my mind.

Few will (or want to) read yet another comparison of the two acts so I will try to be brief. New Order (Now) live are more than the 75% of the classic lineup they represent. Phil and Tom are strong in their roles and anyone saying the musicianship is worse now is mistaken. They're not the same band as they were at their peak but, as someone else stated, they weren't in 2006 either. Peter Hook provided a crucial element to their shows (not broaching the songwriting factor) that has not been replaced. I was sad about Gillian not performing from 2001-2006 but there wasn't a tangible difference in her absence as she isn't (and never tried to be) the "live performer" that Hooky is. With Hooky gone, we're missing the sentimental aspect of the member missing, and a factor in the sound. It's true that Hooky's bits are downplayed in the live mix now that he's no longer in that spotlight. He also used to represent an element of danger/unpredictability that is no longer present. What does remain are the other original(ish, I know they started as a 3 piece) members in their proper roles, buoyed by strong players that allow what's currently the best case scenario to experience these songs in a live setting.

Hooky was 25% of New Order. He's punching above his weight, and pulling out all the stops (rarely played tracks, marathon gigs) to make his live experience worthwhile. You're gonna get to hear the songs you've been longing to hear all those years, played to faithfully represent their album (or 12") counterparts. It's a tantalizing prospect until the reality hits that Hooky's singing isn't up to the task. Some tracks work better than others. But those others...His La la la la la's in "Paradise" were excruciatingly bad. Close your eyes and you're transported to Sesame Street to be serenaded by the Cookie Monster. Pottsy sang a wonderful rendition of "Sooner Than You Think" but Hooky isn't gonna concede the spotlight too often because what would be the point? Hooky was a crucial member of Joy Division and New Order and has every right to perform these songs. He just needs to stop saying he's getting the songs back. They didn't go anywhere.

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/11/2014(UTC)
Owen  
#9 Posted : 23 December 2014 07:09:42(UTC)
Owen

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've seen both Nee Order and Hooky twice now. My first NO related show was Hooky, and it was good but New Order was a bucket list thing for me and it was amazing. I saw them in 2014 and Tom, IMHO has gotten better at playing Hooky's baselines and even seems to imitate him a bit doing Hooky's stances sometimes.

One thing that was kind of annoying is that it seemed like hooky was grumpy sometimes. I was with my friend who's a manc and he said northerners just seem like that.

I do think Pottsy should be the main singer since his voice suits the new order songs and hooky should stick to the joy division songs.
thanks 1 user thanked Owen for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/02/2015(UTC)