logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dreams_Never_End  
#1 Posted : 16 November 2014 15:30:25(UTC)
Dreams_Never_End

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Just found this old programme with Morrissey on it. Watch from about 14:00. Not particularly surprised he is not a fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ninp0i9TgqQ
thanks 4 users thanked Dreams_Never_End for this useful post.
Andy on 16/11/2014(UTC), NotAMod on 17/11/2014(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 25/11/2014(UTC), Big Mouth Julio on 29/11/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Jcp7  
#2 Posted : 16 November 2014 17:20:22(UTC)
Jcp7

Man

Was thanked: 644 time(s) in 540 post(s)
Who is fan of Morrissey?
I've just seen that Echosmith are JD's and Smith's fan...

Edited by user 16 November 2014 17:23:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Jcp7 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/11/2014(UTC)
No Barcode  
#3 Posted : 17 November 2014 02:08:17(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dreams_Never_End Go to Quoted Post
Just found this old programme with Morrissey on it. Watch from about 14:00. Not particularly surprised he is not a fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ninp0i9TgqQ

Nice find! Now it makes more sense why George Michael recorded "True Faith".
thanks 1 user thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#4 Posted : 17 November 2014 07:48:58(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Thanks for posting that.

I had heard somewhere previously that George Michael really liked Closer which considering the type of music he was making around the time of this interview shows an eclectic taste (so respect there). Had to chuckle at his appraisal of Paul Morley. Little did we realise GM would later become the scourge of Snappy Snaps. He also hung out/went clubbing with Bernard and Johnny around the time they were making Raise The Pressure. The less said about his True Faith cover the better, I can understand varying the styles but he vocodered that one to death.

Tony Blackburn... well if he doesn't like your band then that normally shows that you're doing something correct.

As for Morrissey, it's no great surprise he didn't/doesn't like them. For the most part the music they made was poles apart in just about every sense not to mention they were in direct chart competition most of the time. Plus Morrissey is... well... Morrissey (I.e. swerves between being genuinely funny and a complete tw@t). The bit where he says that he "supports them" through monumentally gritted teeth is hilarious. You can just imagine the stick Hooky or Rob Gretton gave Mozzer after all his anti-JD comments... that infamous "the trouble is you've never had the guts to kill yourself" line for instance.

Would've loved to have seen the look on Morrissey's face after that one liner.
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
Bill  
#5 Posted : 18 November 2014 07:34:49(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
Thanks, i'd never seen that before and it was interesting.Though may have to watch the Morrissey on JD /NO bit again as i got a bit lost because he dismisses them at first but then ends with appearing to support them
thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
No Barcode  
#6 Posted : 18 November 2014 15:01:16(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Watching this, I understood at last, WHY Morrissey disliked JD/NO. He, who saw them live and behind the scene, thought they were fraud (maybe except Curtis): uneducated working class lads trying to cover up with pretentious art records, while he was the real one, in life and in music. He probably warmed up to New Order later: after their music matched their image (or the lack thereof).
thanks 1 user thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
komakino  
#7 Posted : 19 November 2014 10:31:24(UTC)
komakino

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Morrissey is arguably the most disingenuous and untrustworthy people in the music industry. Far too bitter an possessive for my tastes. A Cluster B if ever there was.

Some years back I read an article about Morrissey disliking J.D and as fellow musical force at the time said that was impossible as he'd seen Morrissey at at least seven J.D gigs and thought that he was just jealous.

Remember this is the guy who conned Joyce and Rourke in thinking that they were members of The Smiths, when legally speaking, The Smiths were a partnership. Morrissey & Marr - quite rightly - lost the court case and often refers to others as 'Hired Hands'

While not calling him an outright liar, Justice Weeks described Morrissey as 'Devious, Truculent and Unreliable', while not called him an outright liar.

That's all you need to know about Morrissey.

thanks 1 user thanked komakino for this useful post.
Bill  
#8 Posted : 23 November 2014 03:04:07(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
Tony Wilson talking about Morrissey.I remember reading this somewhere, years ago.Managed to find it online.Interesting.

Interviewed by a guy called Ian Watson in 2003

Did you ever try and sign The Smiths?

"No. I was very close to The Smiths. I was very close to Morrissey. Morrissey was part of that little punk scene until 77 and there was a social whirl around a house called 35 Mayfield Road where Steven partially lived and where Linder lived, who was Howard Devoto's girlfriend and also still today is Morrissey's best friend. But I treated Steven, he was our genius writer. He was the speccy kid in the corner, the clever little swotty outsider boy, and very brilliant. My first contact with him was when he sent me as a schoolboy, a battered New York Dolls album sleeve and said 'Dear Mr Wilson, why can't there be more bands on television like this?' so I knew him and I actually was encouraging his writing. He wrote a fantastic short play about eating toast and I think he gave it to me and I lost it.
Then, at some point, whenever it was in 1980, he phoned me up and said would you come and see me. I drove out to King's Road, Stretford, to his mum's house, went to his bedroom upstairs and sat on the edge of the bed while he sat on the chair, surrounded by James Dean posters and he informed me that he'd decided to become a pop star. I sort of went 'well Steven that's very interesting', and inside I was thinking 'you must be fucking joking'. The least likely, you're off your fucking head. Completely in my mind, absolutely, the least likely rock n roll star imaginable in the universe.
So then obviously we were all part of a group of mutual friends and I can remember saying this same thing to Richard Boon, my mate who manages the Buzzcocks, and about four or five months later the two of us went to a gig in the Manhattan Club in Manchester. I think it was probably the Smiths' first or second gig and as we walked out, I was blown away, it was fantastic, and he said 'what do you think?', and I said 'I take it back completely, he's amazing'.
However, at that point in time Factory had gone through its wonder days of 78, 79 and we were now in late 1980 and into early 81. This is pre 'Blue Monday'. We weren't selling records, we were useless, we'd lost our plot and I was very depressed by the company. I had a band called Stockholm Monsters, I couldn't sell Stockholm Monsters records and I thought fine and my honest approach was, I'm not going to saddle Steven with this pile of shit, with Factory when it's shit. So I didn't even pursue it. I said to him 'I wouldn't be any use to you'. That was my version of why I didn't sign the Smiths. I know the Smiths have their version. Everyone has.

Do you regret not signing them?

"Not at all. Not for one moment. Oasis have their version of why I didn't sign Oasis. Everyone has their own version of these stories. Part of the fun of the movie ['24 Hour Party People'] is it messes around all these things. Morrissey and The Smiths was part of the movie, quite a large part of the second draft. The other bit was, though, the main memory I have of that point was that Rob Gretton wouldn't sign them. He'd tell them, 'because your demo's shit. Do another demo'. Which it was. The fact that Rob Gretton was wondering around Manchester, shouting at anyone he'd meet, 'The Smiths are the new Beatles', because he was a massive fun. 'But your demo's shit we're not signing you'. Which is typical Rob. About a year and a half later, Pinnacle records went bankrupt and three months later was bought up by Steve Mason and resurfaces, but Rough Trade survived through that period. If The Smiths had not been on Rough Trade, Rough Trade would not have survived. If Rough Trade would have gone down in 82 when Pinnacle went down, it would have all been over. So in some strange historical way, The Smiths being on Rough Trade was the economic safety net for the British independent record movement.

Is it true that Morrissey pulled music from the '24 Hour Party People'?

"I don't know. I've no idea. It wouldn't surprise me one little bit because he's a miserable git. Also, he would have broken my heart. He's a very talented boy, but he's actually one of the most miserable. . . he's actually, let's be really honest about it, he's actually a nasty person, as a human being. As was John Lennon. Because he treats good human beings who help him - this isn't me, I've never helped him, I'm fond of him because I'm fond of his talent and his creativity - he treats excellent good human beings who try to help him like pieces of dog dirt. He tramples on them. It's not his fault, he's just a terribly unpleasant human being, in terms of pure human values, he is not a nice person."

Why do you think he's like that?

"I've no idea. Some people are nasty people. One of the things was, from the beginning, very cleverly, when he was doing his second gig, he behaved like he was Little Richard, like a major pop star. With that arrogance, with that treatment of other people. That was his thing and it worked. But he's a miserable, he's not a nice human being."

Edited by user 23 November 2014 03:06:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#9 Posted : 24 November 2014 04:08:56(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Circa 'World in Motion' NME quoted Morrissey saying he'd seen JD before the death (not after, that'd be difficult) and was 'enormously unmoved - as were most of the audience.' He went on to say he didn't get the fascination of the band and didn't 'feel anything strong for them' - 'To me, it's all myth.'
Yes George Michael is a fan of 'Closer' in particular and hung out with the 'Lec in '96. Interesting link to NME at the 'Raise The Pressure' website.
'I didn't finish it' - is that really a book you'd wanna read cover-to-cover?
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
komakino  
#10 Posted : 24 November 2014 10:41:57(UTC)
komakino

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Despite what Wilson said - which varied a lot the years - The Smiths wouldn't of been a good signing for Factory and vice versa for a myriad of reasons. I don't think Gretton thought they were Factory material an used the demos as an excuse. Whatever you think about the varied quality of Factory's acts over the years, The Good, The Bad and Crispy Ambulance, The Smiths just weren't a Factory band.

When I first heard The Smiths I thought they were taking the piss. The were 20 years out for date, which in 1982/3 might as well of been a 100. While musically very competent, they were just a modern take on Gerry & The Pacemakers. I just didn't - and still don't - see the point.

Next.
thanks 1 user thanked komakino for this useful post.
themightyspang  
#11 Posted : 29 November 2014 18:04:33(UTC)
themightyspang

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 54 post(s)
I'd listen to Crispy Ambulance (well certainly the plataeu phase) any day over that cock morrisey - they would certainly be one of my desert island discs.

nice parody of the smiths from 1986...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rK8sN4p_zs
thanks 1 user thanked themightyspang for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/12/2014(UTC)
Andy  
#12 Posted : 29 November 2014 18:42:16(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3070 time(s) in 2143 post(s)
From Morrissey's Autobiography (not clear on exact time period):

Solitary, I slope from gig to gig, and I find my freedom only in the liberating shouts of others as they sing themselves into view. Nothing is ever enough, and I want my turn. Manchester gigs throw up the same dramatic personae; Paul Morley and Ian Curtis are always in line, both ready to be Elvis, both ready to chronicle the age. Ian stays with his grandmother on Milner Street, which leads off Kings Road, and he telephones me a few times to test my palette of words. He is genuine and is attempting first poems.
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/12/2014(UTC)
spooky  
#13 Posted : 29 November 2014 20:53:30(UTC)
spooky

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 63 post(s)
... in the late 90's, Morrissey rented a house out in Los Angeles area. maybe it was in the Hollywood Hills or Silverlake, i can't remember. he would often visit the Virgin Megastore on Sunset Blvd. while i was working there at the time. whenever he would come in, someone on the sales floor would call down to my department to inform my co-worker(big time Smiths/Moz fan) that he was in the building. she would always race upstairs and talk to him and he was always very nice to her. one day he came, i decided just to go up and say hello. not having anything particular to say, i asked him some goofy questions like: when was the last time you spoke to Johnny Marr and are you still friends? do you hate Bernard Sumner and/or New Order? why did Gary Day(bass player for Moz's solo band) leave your band? he answered all my questions in his own way while continuing to shop. i could only assume what he was thinking of me, yet he was very polite. after i left, i went back down to my department and a buddy calls me from Las Vegas. i told him that Morrissey was upstairs and i asked him a bunch of silly questions and he was cool about it. my buddy on the phone said well you should've asked him "this" question(a question about the song Death of a Disco Dancer). i said well hold on, maybe he's still upstairs. i went upstairs and sure enough, Morrissey was still shopping. i go up to him and explain that i have a friend who is on the phone from out of state wanting to ask a certain question. Morrissey says very calm and politely "Oh, I hate doing that." however i said please and he was willing to speak to my buddy. they spent about 5 minutes on the phone together(as some of the employees were looking at me like WTF are you doing?) which Morrissey was a good sport on the whole matter. after the call, i thanked Morrissey and he continued to shop.
thanks 2 users thanked spooky for this useful post.
Andy on 30/11/2014(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 01/12/2014(UTC)