logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NotAMod  
#1 Posted : 14 October 2014 03:20:52(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1038 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Has anyone else checked out the new band from Jez & Andy Williams of Doves? They've got two songs out: 'The Ship' (free download) and a new digital single called 'Voyager 1' which I'm going to buy this evening. The debut album's slated for release in February and they're booked as the support act for Noel Gallagher's upcoming solo tour.

Jimi Goodwin's recent album had some flashes of the old magic but for some reason I never really revisited it much which is odd because I've played nearly all the Doves stuff to death. Speaking of which, Doves themselves seem have a Republic-style "indefinite hiatus but not split up" thing going on. I read recent interviews with Goodwin where he says they'll always be mates but isn't sure if they'll ever record together again. Would be a bit crap if it's over for good but better than running the band into the ground I suppose. It's been 5 years since the last Doves LP, seems like ages as they were so omnipresent from 2000-10.

Anyway, I'd recommend checking out 'The Ship' for free. I keep coming back to it on my phone, it's got an addictive & dark electronic bass line running through it. Bodes extremely well for the full album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cstSdN8d1yo

Edited by user 14 October 2014 03:29:50(UTC)  | Reason: Tidy

thanks 2 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/10/2014(UTC), Pyrtwist on 16/11/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Bill  
#2 Posted : 14 October 2014 06:29:32(UTC)
Bill

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
I've not checked out Black Rivers or indeed Jimi Goodwin's solo album which is to my shame as i was big on Doves right from their Lost Souls album and all through to the Kingdom Of Rust album and also caught them live a fair few times.There Goes The Fear was a stupendously great song, i played it to death.Not listened to Doves in a long while though to be honest.

Had a watch of that The Ship video you linked.Didn't do a lot for me really though on first listen.Maybe it'll grow on me.That electronic bassline together with the drum sound reminds me of something i can't quite put my finger on....maybe some elements in the track Leather by Death In Vegas on their Scorpio Rising album? Not sure. Some of the images in the video are very similar to Doves' Last Broadcast era videos, stuff like There Goes The Fear and Pounding.I'm guessing the makers of the video are the same talented guys ( can't recall their name(s) ) who did those great Doves videos.

Edited by user 14 October 2014 06:46:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/10/2014(UTC)
Bill  
#3 Posted : 14 October 2014 06:35:41(UTC)
Bill

Man

I watched the recent BBC drama The Driver starring David Morrissey.In one scene he's got what sounded like a great Doves song playing on the car stereo but i couldn't for the life of me recognise it which was odd as i thought i'd heard pretty much everything Doves ever recordedConfused

Edit: Ah, maybe it was a track off Jimi's solo album.

Edited by user 14 October 2014 06:42:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bill  
#4 Posted : 14 October 2014 06:50:55(UTC)
Bill

Man

Ah, it's The Rip by Portishead that The Ship reminds me of.That electronic bassline and the drum sound is pretty much a straight lift!
Debaser  
#5 Posted : 14 October 2014 10:04:01(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3003 time(s) in 2073 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bill Go to Quoted Post
Ah, it's The Rip by Portishead that The Ship reminds me of.That electronic bassline and the drum sound is pretty much a straight lift!

Holy smokes Bill/Elly/Johnny you're not wrong there. Indeed The Rip is offered down the right hand side of the youtube page for The Ship video. The titles even rhyme!

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.