logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bill  
#1 Posted : 10 October 2014 08:17:44(UTC)
Bill

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
Wow, just watched this.Orgasmic.Live at 6Music this week.Haven't really followed Underworld for years apart from their brilliant stuff for the Olympics opening ceremony in 2012 but listened to them a hell of a lot back in the 90s.I was given a cassette of their Dubnobasswithmyheadman album in about 1996 and loved it to death immediately.Was never totally bowled over by their biggest hit Born Slippy as i was more into their other stuff like Cowgirl, Rez and Dark And Long.Only caught them live once when they were on the bill for the New Order show at Manchester Evening News Arena in December 1998.Think they actually came on after New Order that night.Also caught Lionrock at that do, was into their stuff around that time too.

Anyway, if you was ever an Underworld fan check this out.Superb.

Tracks played:

Dark & Long
Two Months Off
Born Slippy
Cowgirl

Watch and listen here

thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 11/10/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Debaser  
#2 Posted : 11 October 2014 02:39:50(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3000 time(s) in 2072 post(s)
I never stopped being an Underworld fan. Their last proper album, 2010's Barking was really rather good, and probably my second favourite after "Dubno". Between Stars was a particular favourite of mine from that CD.
2007's Oblivion With Bells was decent too; Beautiful Burnout from that album is a good advert for it, I think.

They're actually playing the Royal Festival Hall tonight - Dubnobasswithmyheadman in full to celebrate the 20th anniversary (well 21st really) of the album and it's remastered reissue.

When they announced the gig in July on their website, UW said that those of us who pre-ordered the reissued album (any one of FIVE versions) would get a pre-sale link to get first dibs on the RFH gig tickets. Alas because the link wasn't exactly kept a secret, it seems that the touts used some fancy software to snap up most of the tickets and then sell them on Stubhub for up to £800 per ticket!

So I'm not going to tonight's gig, though I have seen them several times before. The good news is that they now have a little Dubno tour coming in March 2015. So assuming we don't all get consumed by Ebola before then, I shall be seeing them at the Hammersmith Apollo.

Incidentally, I watched the live feed of the above set on Wednesday, and they also did: Dirty Epic, Scribble and Jumbo. Not sure why the BBC decided to cut those out of the version on your link above (it was also on the BBC red button on Weds night). Would it kill them to make the whole thing available?
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Bill  
#3 Posted : 11 October 2014 03:30:35(UTC)
Bill

Man

Oh they did a few more tracks that aren't now available? BuggerFrown

The last album of theirs i bought was Beaucoup Fish in 1999.I regard that album as better than the one before, Second Toughest In The Infants though there's some good stuff on that one too.Though i think i have that Oblivion With Bells album somewhere on my computer. Only ever listened to it a couple of times but seem to remember there was a track that was used for the film Sunshine or something? Loved that tune.

There's a 3 page feature with review of the Dubno reissue and short interview in this month's Uncut mag but haven't read it yet.

Bill  
#4 Posted : 11 October 2014 03:59:36(UTC)
Bill

Man

I played that Beautiful Burnout vid from your link, yeah i recognise that tune.I like it a lot.That clip is from a concert DVD called Everything Everything? That's jogged my memory about that DVD getting rave reviews on it's release if i remember rightly but somehow i've never got round to seeing it.
Debaser  
#5 Posted : 11 October 2014 04:11:02(UTC)
Debaser

The Everything Everything DVD & CD came out in 2000. Beautiful Burnout didn't come out til 2007. So no, it's not on there. I do have that DVD though and i like it. I think the whole thing is on youtube. Low quality visuals though if you're gonna watch for 90 mins...

Bill  
#6 Posted : 12 October 2014 11:30:36(UTC)
Bill

Man

ROCKET MICK on 12/10/2014(UTC)
Debaser  
#7 Posted : 13 October 2014 02:09:32(UTC)
Debaser

Originally Posted by: Bill Go to Quoted Post

Well that's encouraging for the Hammersmith gig next March. No mention of the equipment/power failure that happened during the encore (I hear).

It appears that a fellow NOOLer did manage to get to this gig, and took some pix:
https://www.flickr.com/p.../sets/72157648265355720/

ROCKET MICK on 13/10/2014(UTC)
Bill  
#8 Posted : 13 October 2014 05:28:35(UTC)
Bill

Man

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Bill Go to Quoted Post

Well that's encouraging for the Hammersmith gig next March. No mention of the equipment/power failure that happened during the encore (I hear).

It appears that a fellow NOOLer did manage to get to this gig, and took some pix:
https://www.flickr.com/p.../sets/72157648265355720/

A few of the comments below the review talk about the power failure.

Those pics are grand,aye.

ROCKET MICK on 13/10/2014(UTC)
NotAMod  
#9 Posted : 13 October 2014 06:54:17(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1038 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Yeah, the track they used in Danny Boyle's Sunshine was "To Heal" from Oblivion With Bells; a lovely little track but far too short. I keep meaning to check if they did a full length or extended version. It's been used in quite a few things in telly/film over the past 7 years.

Definitely an Underworld fan and had the chance to go last Saturday but sadly work prevented me. The last time I really paid them any attention was around the time of Oblivion With Bells in 2007 when I did a couple of really fun London gigs. Before that I remember giving A Hundred Days off at uni back in Scotland a proper caning... Two Months Off is a great rush of euphoria as a single, they always tended to have quality remixes as well. Before that I got into them via the Trainspotting soundtracks as I'm sure many did, Dark & Long in particular on the second one.

The live version of Born Slippy .NUXX on Everything Everything is well worth checking out, really manic and superb...
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/10/2014(UTC)