logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

37 Pages«<353637
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andy  
#901 Posted : 09 July 2024 07:06:14(UTC)
Andy

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3090 time(s) in 2151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LostSiren Go to Quoted Post
The original New Order movie song! (or were there earlier movies that had NO?)

You might have something there. I'm not really aware of any before...

perspexorange  
#902 Posted : 09 July 2024 07:28:18(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 2279 post(s)
I think it probably is.

It predates both 'Something Wild' and 'Empire State' by a few months. Don't think there were any before that.

Hmmm... just checked IMDB and this film from 1985 apparently includes 'Confusion':

https://www.imdb.com/tit..._in_0_q_Sudden%2520Death

I'll try and hunt it down and report back.
Might be a bit like 'Reality Bites' which has a 'blink and you'll miss it' appearance by 'Confusion'. Took me ages to find the exact moment when scanning throiugh it a few years ago. It probably would've been quicker for me to just watch the film.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Andy on 09/07/2024(UTC)
Jcp7  
#903 Posted : 09 July 2024 09:42:45(UTC)
Jcp7

Man

Was thanked: 651 time(s) in 543 post(s)
Another one from 1986 including Confusion and Subculture :

Désordre

Edited by user 09 July 2024 09:43:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Jcp7 for this useful post.
Debaser on 09/07/2024(UTC), perspexorange on 09/07/2024(UTC), Andy on 09/07/2024(UTC)
Debaser  
#904 Posted : 09 July 2024 09:44:46(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3053 time(s) in 2094 post(s)
Well even if there were some obscure examples that pre-date Pretty In Pink, I guess Shellshock remains the first song they did for a movie.
So yeah, the original New Order Movie Song does have a ring of truth to it.

Oh look, someone has done a Pretty In Pink video edit for Shellshock.

I know they said that Blane looked bad at the end because Andrew McCarthy had to wear a wig for the re-shoots. But no one mentions how bad Andie's (Molly Ringwall's) hair looks at times. Ringwald's hair seems to improve at the same time as McCarthy's goes crap. She looked better/cooler in Breakfast Club though.

Let's see if I can out-nerd you here Perspex - by telling you more about the track's appearance in Maxxxine.

Shellshock apears about 5 minutes before the end of the film. It's basically the track intro. The first 50-55 seconds, approx. No vocals.
There's some crowd noise over the track at first, and there's spoken dialogue after that.
NO fans will spot it, but I don't think it's going to bring a new flock of fans to the band.
During the dialogue, the track fades into original score made for the film. I think if you're watching the film rather than listening to the music, you'll barely notice when it disappears.

ZZ Top's Gimme All Your Lovin, by contrast, is much more noticable at the start of the film. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
perspexorange on 09/07/2024(UTC), Andy on 09/07/2024(UTC)
Jcp7  
#905 Posted : 09 July 2024 09:58:50(UTC)
Jcp7

Man

Was thanked: 651 time(s) in 543 post(s)
Shellshock isn't even on the soundtrack album.

https://filmmusicreporte...oundtrack-album-details/

It would be great to get a remaster of the 6'30 version.
Andy  
#906 Posted : 09 July 2024 21:09:48(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3090 time(s) in 2151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jcp7 Go to Quoted Post
Shellshock isn't even on the soundtrack album.

https://filmmusicreporte...oundtrack-album-details/

It would be great to get a remaster of the 6'30 version.

I think the excellent, original soundtrack of Pretty in Pink (featuring the definitive version of "Shellshock") is overdue for a remaster. Perhaps the Brotherhood box will feature that version of the song...

Sorry to get too far away from the purpose of this thread, but I just saw this clip not knowing anything about the movie (apparently a trilogy) or the star, Mia Goth. Not only is she adorable, she also is credited with writing and executive producing on the film:

negative1  
#907 Posted : 11 July 2024 17:06:41(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1681 time(s) in 1160 post(s)
attempt 2

he's been doing for it awhile.

later
thanks 2 users thanked negative1 for this useful post.
Andy on 11/07/2024(UTC), Rorschach on 12/07/2024(UTC)
perspexorange  
#908 Posted : 12 July 2024 03:28:57(UTC)
perspexorange

The Dolby performances are pretty cool.

However, I find it a bit weird for an artist to open a set with a track by another band (especially one in a similar genre).

I really like Dolby's work and was quite a fan back in the 80s, but I think I'd be standing there, watching Blue Monday, and thinking 'I wish I was watching New Order instead'.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
negative1 on 12/07/2024(UTC), Andy on 12/07/2024(UTC)
Debaser  
#909 Posted : 12 July 2024 04:31:31(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3053 time(s) in 2094 post(s)
The thought that popped into my head watching the above clip was: Why doesn't Bernard use more effects on his voice during BM live? It's quite easy to do these days, AFAIK.

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

I find it a bit weird for an artist to open a set with a track by another band (especially one in a similar genre).

Yes, so he's doing a mini-set of about 6 tracks as part of the Totally Tubular festival tour. And two of the six tracks are covers - the other being Bowie's "Heroes". Meanwhile there's no room for Wind Power which was the first Thomas Dolby song I ever knew - he did it on TOTPs. I Scare Myself is also absent...

thanks 3 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
negative1 on 12/07/2024(UTC), perspexorange on 12/07/2024(UTC), Andy on 12/07/2024(UTC)
negative1  
#910 Posted : 12 July 2024 05:27:42(UTC)
negative1

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
The thought that popped into my head watching the above clip was: Why doesn't Bernard use more effects on his voice during BM live? It's quite easy to do these days, AFAIK.

I find it a bit weird for an artist to open a set with a track by another band (especially one in a similar genre).

Yes, so he's doing a mini-set of about 6 tracks as part of the Totally Tubular festival tour. And two of the six tracks are covers - the other being Bowie's "Heroes". Meanwhile there's no room for Wind Power which was the first Thomas Dolby song I ever knew - he did it on TOTPs. I Scare Myself is also absent...

i saw him recently on that tour, and it was great.

he did more improvs here:

thomas dolby is more a showman in last decade or so.

he's bored with just playing his songs, although he did:
europa and the pirate twins
one of our submarines
hyperactive
and of course she blinded me with science.

he's more into crowd interaction, and other stuff.

his days of straight concerts are long gone. he has a few live dvds where he did that type.

nowadays, he's pushing a new book, and his last album came out quite awhile ago, so he's not working on new music.

he's just doing the music gigs on the side of being a professor, and many other projects.

i'm just glad i get to see him from time to time doing this stuff.

also, he will be doing longer sets in another tour,
it will be him and tom bailey by themselves.
so they will have time to do more songs then.

later
|| | | || |
ne gative 1

Edited by user 12 July 2024 05:34:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users thanked negative1 for this useful post.
perspexorange on 12/07/2024(UTC), Andy on 12/07/2024(UTC), Jul on 12/07/2024(UTC), Rorschach on 13/07/2024(UTC)
LostSiren  
#911 Posted : 12 July 2024 08:14:52(UTC)
LostSiren

Was thanked: 219 time(s) in 177 post(s)
Pretty in Pink soundtrack is like the rosetta stone of my musical development - first album I had of anything New Order, Smiths, Joe Jackson, OMD and the Bunnymen - I started buying all of them, right after. Never really liked INXS tho.
thanks 1 user thanked LostSiren for this useful post.
Andy on 12/07/2024(UTC)
negative1  
#912 Posted : 22 July 2024 08:06:37(UTC)
negative1

very brief mention of joy division in the simple minds documentary,

'everything is possible', they wanted to make a new album and new sound,
and someone mentioned joy divisions album, making them rethink what they wanted to do.

here's a promo clip:

later
|| || | | ||
ne gative 1
thanks 3 users thanked negative1 for this useful post.
perspexorange on 22/07/2024(UTC), Jul on 22/07/2024(UTC), Fotz on 22/07/2024(UTC)
perspexorange  
#913 Posted : 22 July 2024 09:12:23(UTC)
perspexorange

Thanks for this, -1. Nice to see JD getting a nod. I think Kerr once said that after they'd recorded their debut LP, which they were initially pleased with, they heard Unknown Pleasures and felt instant remorse for what they'd producedn. Probably the same story that's being recounted in the documentary.

I really rather liked the first few LPs by Simple Minds, up to and including the wonderful New Gold Dream.
But, then, the drop in quality was (IMHO) staggering.

To go from beautiful, shimmering pieces like 'Someone Somewhere (In Summertime)', 'Hunter And The Hunted', 'New Gold Dream' etc. to big, brash 'stadium rock' like 'Waterfront' was too much for me to stomach.

Sparkle In The Rain has a handful of 'ok' tracks, but by the time Once Upon A Time was released, they'd become something that was (again, IMO) fairly dreadful. Alive & Kicking <shiver>.

I would probably quite like to see that documentary but I think the choice of music for the trailer is really bad. All their bombastic, over the top crap and none of the good stuff.
Ah well.

Edited by user 22 July 2024 09:14:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Jul on 22/07/2024(UTC), Fotz on 22/07/2024(UTC), negative1 on 22/07/2024(UTC)
Fotz  
#914 Posted : 22 July 2024 11:24:53(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3627 time(s) in 2624 post(s)
Yes, New Gold Dream has some truly lovely songs on. Big Sleep , Glittering Prize, Someone Somewhere In Summertime to name just a few. I have it on vinyl and also a 7" of Glittering Prize with a brilliant instrumental version on the b side, showcases the bass playing of Derek Forbes. Didn't he leave the band later because he didn't like the direction the band were taking in the mid 80s or was it another reason?? Sparkle In The Rain, yeah a lot of it was OTT Bombastic but it does remind of the summer i left school. I had it on cassette and loved songs like White Hot Day.

They really were pretty damn big and inescapable around the time of Don't You Forget About Me in mid 80s.

I never reallly investigated their earlier stuff , before New Gold Dream. But songs like I Travel and The American i'm familiar with.

I did really like Belfast Child though from their late 80s period. Still vividly reminds me of that era. Total rip off of She Moved Thròuĝh The Fair though eh!?

Edited by user 22 July 2024 11:32:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
negative1 on 22/07/2024(UTC), Jul on 22/07/2024(UTC)
negative1  
#915 Posted : 22 July 2024 13:44:43(UTC)
negative1

Thanks for this, -1. Nice to see JD getting a nod. I think Kerr once said that after they'd recorded their debut LP, which they were initially pleased with, they heard Unknown Pleasures and felt instant remorse for what they'd producedn. Probably the same story that's being recounted in the documentary.

I really rather liked the first few LPs by Simple Minds, up to and including the wonderful New Gold Dream.
But, then, the drop in quality was (IMHO) staggering.

To go from beautiful, shimmering pieces like 'Someone Somewhere (In Summertime)', 'Hunter And The Hunted', 'New Gold Dream' etc. to big, brash 'stadium rock' like 'Waterfront' was too much for me to stomach.

Sparkle In The Rain has a handful of 'ok' tracks, but by the time Once Upon A Time was released, they'd become something that was (again, IMO) fairly dreadful. Alive & Kicking <shiver>.

I would probably quite like to see that documentary but I think the choice of music for the trailer is really bad. All their bombastic, over the top crap and none of the good stuff.
Ah well.

we are almost on the same wavelength.

i started with new gold dream (my favorite), loved sparkle in the rain, lost some interest with once upon a time, loved street fighting years,
and it been hit or miss since then.

the documentary does have the exact story you mentioned.
--

the first hour is a just a basic retelling of their history. so not a lot of new information.

the presentation is top notch though, and i coudn't get enough of the early formation, and what they went through.

send me a PM and i'll give you the link for the download.

later
|| || || ||
ne gative 1

Edited by user 22 July 2024 13:45:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
Jul on 22/07/2024(UTC)
Jul  
#916 Posted : 22 July 2024 22:36:11(UTC)
Jul

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 178 post(s)
I have a soft spot for Simple Minds, they were among the first "real" bands I liked, I started listening to them at Don't You and progressed towards earlier more "serious" stuff but still followed them until Street Fighting Years when they sort of drifted off my radar, but then caught them live several times years later.

Unrelated, Rolling Stone published another ranking of the best album covers ever, scroll until the top 10 (but you can already guess which one it is), No New Order unfortunately.

Rolling Stone Top 100 Album Covers
thanks 2 users thanked Jul for this useful post.
negative1 on 23/07/2024(UTC), perspexorange on 23/07/2024(UTC)
negative1  
#917 Posted : 23 July 2024 04:41:50(UTC)
negative1

Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
Yes, New Gold Dream has some truly lovely songs on. Big Sleep , Glittering Prize, Someone Somewhere In Summertime to name just a few. I have it on vinyl and also a 7" of Glittering Prize with a brilliant instrumental version on the b side, showcases the bass playing of Derek Forbes. Didn't he leave the band later because he didn't like the direction the band were taking in the mid 80s or was it another reason?? Sparkle In The Rain, yeah a lot of it was OTT Bombastic but it does remind of the summer i left school. I had it on cassette and loved songs like White Hot Day.

They really were pretty damn big and inescapable around the time of Don't You Forget About Me in mid 80s.

I never reallly investigated their earlier stuff , before New Gold Dream. But songs like I Travel and The American i'm familiar with.

I did really like Belfast Child though from their late 80s period. Still vividly reminds me of that era. Total rip off of She Moved Thròuĝh The Fair though eh!?

you might want to look in the deluxe version of new gold dream, there is a 2 cd, and superdeluxe version with all kinds of instrumentals, mixes, videos, and live tracks.
one of the best ones, and not too pricey. even comes with a replica tourbook.

there were reasons for derek forbes leaving, but it depends on if you ask him or the group.

belfast child was a tribute to she moves through the fair, it was huge in the uk, but of course over here in the US,
we hardly paid attention. i kept up with all the imports though.

i'm sure i collect almost, if not more things from simple minds, like new order. i'm a much bigger fans of them than i am of u2,
although i collected them quite a bit in the early days, along with big country.

later
|| | ||| ||
ne gative 1
thanks 2 users thanked negative1 for this useful post.
Fotz on 23/07/2024(UTC), Jul on 23/07/2024(UTC)
Mr. Disco  
#918 Posted : 25 July 2024 04:37:01(UTC)
Mr. Disco

Man

Was thanked: 418 time(s) in 214 post(s)
World in Motion back in the charts... did England win Euro 2024 or something (not a sports fan)?

https://www.forbes.com/s...eir-most-famous-singles/
thanks 1 user thanked Mr. Disco for this useful post.
Like No Other on 25/07/2024(UTC)