logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thehappyone  
#1 Posted : 01 July 2014 21:01:26(UTC)
thehappyone

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 17 post(s)
thanks 2 users thanked thehappyone for this useful post.
Andy on 01/07/2014(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/09/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Ricardo  
#2 Posted : 01 July 2014 22:01:22(UTC)
Ricardo

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Luckily, I was fast enough to use my small Sony camera to record this song.

Plastic - First ever live performance
thanks 4 users thanked Ricardo for this useful post.
thehappyone on 01/07/2014(UTC), Andy on 01/07/2014(UTC), Low Life on 02/07/2014(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/09/2014(UTC)
thehappyone  
#3 Posted : 01 July 2014 22:38:49(UTC)
thehappyone

This song just HAS to be about you-know-who...

And your video just got picked up by Slicing Up Eyeballs

Edited by user 01 July 2014 22:57:53(UTC)  | Reason: adding info about Slicing Up Eyeball...

thanks 1 user thanked thehappyone for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/09/2014(UTC)
thehappyone  
#4 Posted : 01 July 2014 23:02:07(UTC)
thehappyone

Some lyrics...

Got a feeling
In my head
Feels like thunder
Overhead

Intoxicating
I can't stop the flow
This love is poison
But it's like gold

Give me direction
Out of the fold
Show me affection
I'll sell you my soul

It's a picture
You're fantastic
You're so special
So iconic

You're the focus
Of attention
But you don't want it
You're so on it

If you break me
Will you fix me
If I'm missing
Will you miss me

I'll regret it
Till the day I die
I don't get nearer
It's in my head

Feels like thunder
It's getting hot
This love is poison
But it's like gold

It's so special
You're fantastic
You're so special
So iconic

You're the focus
Of attention
But you don't want it
You're so on it

It's official
You're fantastic
You're so special
You're iconic

You're the focus
Of attention
But you don't want it
Cuz you're on it

One of these days
One of these days
Right where you want me baby
I will be gone

Cuz you're like plastic
You're artificial
You don't need nothing baby
So sacrificial

BS: "Thank you. That's the first time we ever, ever played that song live."

Edited by user 01 July 2014 23:07:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked thehappyone for this useful post.
Low Life on 02/07/2014(UTC), Camco on 08/07/2014(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/09/2014(UTC)
Who's Joe?  
#5 Posted : 02 July 2014 02:44:48(UTC)
Who's Joe?

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 125 post(s)
wow, I quite liked the fact it was quite heavy on the electronics. It was good on first listen. can't wait to hear a studio take. the lyrics do have some venom to them.
thanks 1 user thanked Who's Joe? for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#6 Posted : 02 July 2014 03:50:36(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1015 time(s) in 644 post(s)
The new song PLASTIC sounds good.

Here is a review from last night's show

http://consequenceofsound.net/2...agos-aragon-ballroom-71/

it hot at Chicago’s Aragon Ballroom last night. I mean… not to sound all Sweaty McGee, but it was an uncomfortable heat, the sort of muck that makes you think, Saigon… shit; I’m still only in Saigon. Okay, so maybe not that bad, but even New Order’s 58-year-old ringmaster Bernard Sumner couldn’t stop addressing the temps, relating to his fans up front who were probably having a stroke by then, anyhow: “It’s as hot up here as it is down there. Heat rises.” Welll, now we all know why LeBron James cramped up last month. No joke, y’all.

So yeah, New Order kicked off their latest round of dates in support of, well, nothing. I guess you could say last year’s B-sides compilation, Lost Sirens, but that was way, way back in January 2013. No, this jaunt is pretty much the supporting mini-tour that was going to cushion their headlining appearance at the tragically-canceled second weekend of Sasquatch! Music Festival. I’m still bummed out; I had planned on attending — ahem, the idea of ol’ Bernie and Robyn echoing in The Gorge tickled my eyes, my ears, and my wallet — but this was an agreeable concession, instead. Sort of. Maybe. Not really.

Goodies were still abound, though; not Gorge-sized goodies, but goodies, nonetheless. (I apologize for using that pre-school word so many times. Feel free to send hate mail here.) New Order’s back with new visuals — they timed their performance of “Crystal” to an accompanying video of teens playing the song, too — and a couple of fresh tunes to boot. The moody bliss of “Singularity”, formerly titled “Drop the Guitar” by excited YouTube users who attended their South American dates earlier this year, followed a cover Joy Division’s “Transmission” and it was like the band was still dipping from the same JD catalogue. It’s a slick track that retreats into Movement territory with just a little more of a galloping pep.

But the real treat was the debut of another new track titled, “Plastic”. Like “Singularity”, there’s a familiar wash to the song, echoing their Technique-era, only with a scruff of Kraftwerk. Lyrically, Sumner riffs on someone who’s “fantastic”, “special”, and “iconic” and I have to imagine it’s a biting commentary on society’s endless obsession with celebrity. Whatever the case, it proved a worthy risk, given that the crowd was clearly their for the hits (which they delivered in full). As Sumner professed, “We have to write some new songs to keep this a viable band.”

That self-awareness has always been Sumner’s strongest attribute. And even though he’s committed his own meager sins — no, he left his own New Order shirt at home this time around, from what I could tell; thank god — the guy’s trudged through the worst (e.g. Ian Curtis’ suicide) and the unfortunate (e.g. Peter Hook’s downward spiral) to come out unscathed. It was a long, long time ago, but their last album, 2005′s Waiting for the Sirens’ Call, was an excellent body of work, never sounding dated or unfocused or, even worse, preachy. New Order commands a certain respect, which is why, new songs aside, it’ll probably be worth it to buy a ticket again and again.

After all, why else would a sold-out crowd risk heat exhaustion?

Stray observations:

– Stephen Morris is still the most underrated drummer of all time. He’s 56 years old and plays harder than the average twentysomething today.

— “True Faith” will always turn the crowd into a gaggle of coke addicts. It’s a necessary part of New Order’s set and should never, under any circumstance, be omitted.

– The fans who brought two large hearts with the words “New” and “Order” on them were pretty dedicated. For a non-festival gig, that creativity is both admirable and adorable.

– There’s a reason “Californian Grass” was a B-side, guys.

– Look, I think “Love Will Tear Us Apart” is one of the greatest songs of all time. But, if you’re not going to play it in the right key, the end result comes off as lethargic and half-hearted. Inject some adrenaline, beef up the vocals, and drive that sucker home.

– Remember when Orgy covered “Blue Monday”? ::spits up Tapioca pudding in laughter::

– Then again, singing “Love Will Tear Us Apart” with thousands of other dark souls was pretty nice.

– “Mr. Aragon? The people have spoken. Call the right people. Tell them to send the damn ACs.”
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
DHLaw  
#7 Posted : 02 July 2014 05:23:09(UTC)
DHLaw

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I am overjoyed by both Plastic and Singularity (or whatever it will finally be titled). Love the return to the electronics. No one does the sonic better than New Order. Very excited to hear the album/EP whenever it may drop. And thanks for the perfect video.
thanks 1 user thanked DHLaw for this useful post.
spacejunk  
#8 Posted : 02 July 2014 08:57:21(UTC)
spacejunk

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Great show. Full of energy. 9/10. California Grass was the only lowlight due to general lack of crowd knowledge. New tracks were great and crowd was pumping for most of the night.

Boy was it fricken hot! I was totally naked but I was wearing a hat!
thanks 1 user thanked spacejunk for this useful post.
ZASmusic  
#9 Posted : 02 July 2014 09:08:33(UTC)
ZASmusic

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I love Plastic, sounds great. I did a little write up of it as well.

http://blog.promotion-us.com/new-order-debut-plastic
thanks 1 user thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
Debaser  
#10 Posted : 02 July 2014 09:57:34(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3024 time(s) in 2080 post(s)
Vocals are minging. Rest of track isn't. Looking forward to studio version, more so than Singularity.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Andy  
#11 Posted : 02 July 2014 10:37:52(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3074 time(s) in 2145 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ZASmusic Go to Quoted Post

I really like the sound and instrumentation and am looking forward to hearing it properly (live in person, and the studio version). As of now, it comes across as a bit tentative and, perhaps, unfinished.

I would hesitate to refer to it as "melody filled". Maybe you're hearing something I'm not. Your write up appears to just list things you like/expect from the band rather than the actual content of the track. Then again, who doesn't love "choice funky rhythm guitar licks" and "stinging bass runs"?
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ZASmusic  
#12 Posted : 02 July 2014 11:13:13(UTC)
ZASmusic

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post

I really like the sound and instrumentation and am looking forward to hearing it properly (live in person, and the studio version). As of now, it comes across as a bit tentative and, perhaps, unfinished.

I would hesitate to refer to it as "melody filled". Maybe you're hearing something I'm not. Your write up appears to just list things you like/expect from the band rather than the actual content of the track. Then again, who doesn't love "choice funky rhythm guitar licks" and "stinging bass runs"?

I thought the synth melodies on the chorus and the arpeggiated melodies throughout were quite nice, and Phil's guitar is the most straight up funky rhythm guitar he's ever done for a New Order track. I agree that the vocals were a bit tentative but it was the first live airing. My write up reflects what I thought of the track. I had to do it in a hurry as I have a ton of other shit to attend to at work today.

thanks 1 user thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
Andy  
#13 Posted : 02 July 2014 12:56:14(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3074 time(s) in 2145 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post

I thought the synth melodies on the chorus and the arpeggiated melodies throughout were quite nice, and Phil's guitar is the most straight up funky rhythm guitar he's ever done for a New Order track. I agree that the vocals were a bit tentative but it was the first live airing. My write up reflects what I thought of the track. I had to do it in a hurry as I have a ton of other shit to attend to at work today.

New Order tracks don't debut every day. I understand and appreciate your enthusiasm.

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
keepitcoming  
#14 Posted : 02 July 2014 17:11:06(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
it is great to have new words and music and knowing there is more to come . bernard and new order have a fantastic grasp of song craft. i trust they will create more wonders .
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
chase  
#15 Posted : 14 July 2014 13:42:51(UTC)
chase

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The electronics were nice, but the vocals were shite even by Barney standards.

ETA: I doubt very much the song is about "you-know-who", unless Mr. Hook and Mr. Sumner's relationship was a romantic one. No need to interpret everything through the lens of one particular event, it's not as if there aren't other things going on the world.

Edited by user 14 July 2014 13:56:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked chase for this useful post.