logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<345
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jonathan  
#101 Posted : 22 February 2016 06:27:22(UTC)
Jonathan

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 123 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Alex_Loyal Go to Quoted Post
I must have missed the re-print and updated version of Barneys book, as my version only touches on the Hook shite, maybe a couple of pages at best, but lets be honest, if Barney wanted to publish a 1000 page 10 volume series of books on why Hook is a prick he would be well within his rights.

I'd much rather consume that in song form :)
thanks 1 user thanked Jonathan for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/03/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#102 Posted : 22 February 2016 07:08:01(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Poisonous Intent?
I can't be arsed with this book. Almost everyone everywhere says it's superficial, and I'm not really interested in how many drugs the guy took. It's different with an artist like Bergman, where the life influences the challenging work, but do we really need to know what inspired lyrics like Every Secunt Cunts?

Edited by user 22 February 2016 07:10:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#103 Posted : 26 February 2016 00:30:25(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3620 time(s) in 2619 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Alex_Loyal Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: tarbox23 Go to Quoted Post
Thinking this over, a year later, I have to say I am a bit disappointed in Bernard's book. I really wanted to hear more about the music and the recording process, and the tours, and much less defending himself against Hooky.

Way too much time spent in the book worrying about the recent Hooky issues.

I must have missed the re-print and updated version of Barneys book, as my version only touches on the Hook shite, maybe a couple of pages at best, but lets be honest, if Barney wanted to publish a 1000 page 10 volume series of books on why Hook is a prick he would be well within his rights.

Well, i've searched around for this new updated version of Bernard's book and can't find it anywhere.I tried Amazon, Waterstones, Hive, Guardian books .... the lot.Can't find any trace of it.I'm stumped.

Seriously though, i've been meaning to look at Bernard's book again for a while to see exactly how much of it he devotes to the Hooky issue.Had a look last night - Bernard devotes one 17 page chapter (chapter 21)to it out of the whole book. So just one single chapter out of 22 (i haven't included the 2 appendixes, one of which is about Bernard's hypnosis session with Ian Curtis and the other one Bernard's chat with Alan Wise) .Bernard devoted just 17 pages out of 300.That's not an awful lot at all in my view.Having a flick through i can't find any other areas of the book where Bernard talks about the feud with Hooky but if anyone cares to point me to chapters other than chapter 21 that Bernard talks about the feud then please do let me know.

Honestly, some people make out Bernard spends half the book going on about Hooky.By my maths 17 pages out of 300 is a long way off half the book.

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Jonathan  
#104 Posted : 26 February 2016 02:00:48(UTC)
Jonathan

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 123 post(s)
Well, that is more than 5% of the book, but on the other hand it would be odd to *not* cover it, as it's clearly an important part of his/New Order's story. You could argue it's more gentlemenly to cover it in one place, explicitly, than to scatter allusions and digs around elsewhere.
thanks 1 user thanked Jonathan for this useful post.
Coops  
#105 Posted : 26 February 2016 02:24:12(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
Honestly, some people make out Bernard spends half the book going on about Hooky.By my maths 17 pages out of 300 is a long way off half the book.

Might have made it more interesting if he did. I mean, it's an OK book and by his own admission Sumner doesn't like disclosing stuff about himself BUT at the beginning he says he's going to tell all and, in my opinion only, he still keeps it vague. Of the two authors Hooky is still winning for me but not for the JD book because I felt there was too many swipes at Sumner in that. For me, the Hacienda book Hooky wrote was the best as it was written just before stuff got really bad so it didn't influence his writing as much. I can only imagine how bitter the forthcoming NO book will be....
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
negative1  
#106 Posted : 01 March 2016 15:10:00(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1660 time(s) in 1152 post(s)
Reading the book now.

halfway done.

so far there's not a whole lot of new information. ok, maybe all the childhood stories, but i skimmed through that, as i was more interested in the music related news.

it's nice to hear things from his perspective. i look forward to finishing it tonight, and seeing how he feels in the events of the recent era's.

later
thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
Skullcrushed  
#107 Posted : 02 March 2016 07:28:21(UTC)
Skullcrushed

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: negative1 Go to Quoted Post
Reading the book now.

halfway done.

so far there's not a whole lot of new information. ok, maybe all the childhood stories, but i skimmed through that, as i was more interested in the music related news.

it's nice to hear things from his perspective. i look forward to finishing it tonight, and seeing how he feels in the events of the recent era's.

later

IMO the childhood stories are the most interesting part of the book. They give a real insight into Barney's background, and where JD & NO first came from. Like everyone else says he seems to skim over the music stuff rather quickly and actually I think the second half of the book is quite weak.

Didn't think he really overdid the Hooky stuff though, like others have said it was only a chapter and it would've been odd if he'd left it out?

thanks 1 user thanked Skullcrushed for this useful post.
negative1  
#108 Posted : 03 March 2016 20:58:36(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1660 time(s) in 1152 post(s)
ok, finished the book.

it's a very upbeat, happy overall look, and very positive ending from bernard.

yes, there's tragic things that happen, and a lot of the second half is all about the hacienda failing as a club, and causing problems, most of the time.

there is a good coverage of the events with the last few albums, touring, and the solo projects.

near the end, is discussion of hooky leaving the group, but it's not really anything new there either.

this is a good book, for people that are just discovering new order, and want a brief, quick, and light overview of new order, up to the present day.

got it used on amazon for cheap for the paperback. so it's worth getting it if you want it now.

later
thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#109 Posted : 04 March 2016 01:24:10(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3620 time(s) in 2619 post(s)
I enjoyed the book.It's a year or two since i read it as i bought it immediately upon its publication.It was quite a big event for me (and quite a few other people i should think) as Bernard had been, you could say, a big idol of mine since the 80s and to finally get his view on things in his own book was of big interest to me.

Yeah i can understand people wanting more details of how they recorded such and such album but i always get the feeling Bernard finds recording albums bloody hard work so he probably would rather forget about the details.I think he approached the book more as a chance to give his story and his view, rather than detailing the mixing techniques they used on P,C&L and Low Life etc!

A few of the stories i already knew or knew but had long forgotten .The tale about him having a fight in the street with some bloke who had almost ran over in a car his girlfriend and kids; i remember reading that in an interview in Melody Maker in about 1991 but had long forgotten.But stories like the incident in a restaurant in Japan when Hooky lost the plot was new to me.

Overall i got the feeling Bernard cares a lot about the music he makes but isn't the sort of artist who wants to bore people rigid talking about how he makes that music.He wanted to focus on a bigger picture - the fun that comes with being in a band that made that music, his relationships with people, his upbringing, his opinion on everything from football to yachting, a fair bit of Bernard's sense of humour thrown in and his ending the book with a positive note.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.