logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Debaser  
#1 Posted : 24 May 2014 03:18:26(UTC)
Debaser

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3000 time(s) in 2072 post(s)
Well it may be just people trying to fill the vacuum and making assumptions, but the internet rumblings have become loud enough that the likes of NME.com have decided to pick up on it:
Stone Roses refuse to comment on split rumour

It has been pointed out on Ian Brown's website forum and the unofficial fansite Don't Stop that the rumours were started by one anonymous post. So either someone has the skinny on this or it's a great example of how false rumours can spread like wildfire. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

This little story and the fact that the Arctic Monkeys are playing Finsbury Park this weekend have reminded me that it was a year ago that I finally got to see the Roses live at Finsbury Park. Really glad I did (though the sound could have been louder). So if it all ends next week I'm grateful for the gig if nothing else.

So still on a Roses tip I've just watched the Shane Meadows 'Made Of Stone' film having 'taped' it off Film 4 recently. It was enjoyable but I really think Meadows could have done better. Once the no-encore-the-drummers-a-cunt incident happened in Amsterdam, Meadows seemed to become too afraid to upset the applecart and backed right off from making the documentary he had started. Maybe he was too much of a fan and didn't want to piss his heroes off and be blamed for further fracturing the band. That ain't a good way to make a documentary film though. And then the Heaton Park gig that the film was leading up to - well we basically get a freewheeling Fools Gold and...not much else (what's happened to the footage for the rest of the gig?). So it kinda failed to be a proper documentary or a decent live film. So in the end the film was enjoyable because of the band rather than the film maker. Worth seeing for the rehearsal footage and the free gig stuff at Warrington Parr Hall basically.

And still on a Roses tip, i found the 2004 documentary below on youtube this morning. Probably a better actual documentary of the band (pre-reformation) than Meadows' film. The manager, Gareth Evans is like some sort of cheesy comedy impersonation of a bad band manager. He's unintentionally hilarious and a cunt at the same time! I'm surprised he agreed to do this as he doesn't come out of it smelling of roses (boom boom), but he definitely makes it interesting.

Was surprised about the stuff around 2 mins into this where the band were "hated by most of Manchester" and their "No 1 enemy was Factory records" Supposedly Tony Wilson was trying to stop them. From what? Being as successful as NO? Then Noel Gallagher's comments: "All the people that worked for Factory were fucking twats... the grey overcoat mob...very fucking dodgy people". How seriously you take Noel and an ex-member of the Stone Roses I guess could be the real question here (didn't the Roses work with Martin Hannett, Hooky and play the Hacienda?). Anyway despite this, worth a watch.

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/09/2014(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 02/11/2015(UTC)
Sponsor
Bill  
#2 Posted : 25 May 2014 03:54:06(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
Well there doesn't seem to be any news of new songs recorded or even beginnings of recording so it's possible they've concluded that the spark isn't there and not worth them continuing. I dunno, maybe they should knock it on the head for good anyhow? I did like them a lot back in the day but not too fussed now about wanting new songs from them.

I watched that Meadows doc when it was on tv the other month .Yeah it was pretty good but as you said just ending the film with 10 minutes of Fools Gold from Heaton Park seemed, dunno, was just expecting a lot more to end the film though not sure what.

Can't view the YouTube thing you posted as am posting from phone away from home so can't comment on that point .
thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/09/2014(UTC)
Cranelane  
#3 Posted : 26 May 2014 11:23:23(UTC)
Cranelane

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)
It wouldn't surprise me if they have split up again, the talk of making a new album quickly fizzled out and maybe it's just as well that they have knocked it on the head rather than release substandard material, I got to see them in Lyon two years ago so that's a good memory anyway..
thanks 2 users thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/09/2014(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 02/11/2015(UTC)
Debaser  
#4 Posted : 02 November 2015 11:44:28(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3000 time(s) in 2072 post(s)
Well I guess they didn't split, they've just announced new Manchester gigs for next June.
I wonder if this means they have new material to play...

LINK

Oh, playing T In the park too.

thanks 3 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Baggie Boiler on 02/11/2015(UTC), Cranelane on 02/11/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 04/11/2015(UTC)
Cranelane  
#5 Posted : 02 November 2015 14:18:29(UTC)
Cranelane

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)
Stone Roses to announce new album and tour? Rumours sweep across social media .

Macclesfield Express.

Lemons have been spotted in various locations around Manchester!

thanks 1 user thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 04/11/2015(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#6 Posted : 02 November 2015 15:50:37(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3615 time(s) in 2616 post(s)
Guess they've finally made a new album then.I mean it'd be pretty fucking lame to do another set of live shows a couple of years after the last lot and still not have some new songs
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 04/11/2015(UTC)