logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Who's Joe?  
#1 Posted : 02 April 2014 03:16:52(UTC)
Who's Joe?

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 125 post(s)
I provide these unsolicited setlist recommendations for the current lineup of New Order, with explanations. What are your recommendations?

1. Primitive Notion - of the songs recorded in the last 15 years, I am dumbfounded why this one has not been played live (as far as I can tell). It has a little bit of everything and is probably one of the best songs on Get Ready in my opinion. With two guitars and Gillian available to play the snyth line, I would think this would be great live.

2. Broken Promise - three guitar attack and would be completely awesome. Vocally I am not sure Bernard would need to change the key on it and would be a nice change up to throw into the set.

3. Everyone Everywhere - in the past I read that Bernard stated the chords were tricky to play live. With Phil able to tackle that, I think it could work and again, not sure much needs to be done with the vocals. I've always loved this one live and think it would be a welcome addition to the set (sub or rotate it in for World).

4. Someone Like You - with the focus on getting back in touch with the electronic sound, I cannot think of a better song to uncork in the set. Again, another song they've not played live, but I think with Gillian in the fold, it could be done and would very fun tucked into the set towards the end before launching into the end.

5. Everything's Gone Green - I really think this one is crying out for a reworking, much like 586, it could be something glorious to behold and nestled in with Temptation it could really stand out in the set. It would also conceivably allow them to consider rotating BLT or TF in and out on a nightly basis.

These are as stated unsolicited setlist ideas/recommendations/thoughts. Are there songs I would rather hear than these? Sure, I'd peronally love TLU, but given the comments I've seen Bernard is not a huge fan of the live arrangement, and thus, I'm not sure it will see the light of day again. Same goes for almost anything off Technique, but again, not sure where the band is on those tracks. The above are songs I think the band should try out and see if they work. I'd love to see them get to a point where they can pull from a mix of 30-35 songs. Just some random thoughts at 6am as I read the setlist from last night....

thanks 1 user thanked Who's Joe? for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/04/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Andy  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2014 04:25:30(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3073 time(s) in 2144 post(s)
While as disappointed with static setlists as most fans, I've come to accept it over the years. As long as the set includes Bizarre Love Triangle and Temptation, I'll likely be satisfied with the opportunity of experiencing them live once more. The only other track that comes close to being essential for me is Your Silent Face. I would take All Day Long as a substitute, though, as it comes closest to matching YSFs' majesty when performed well.

With the more frequent outings recently, I think the obligation to include Blue Monday every show has disappeared. I'd rather they drop it than witness Barney suffering through the 7+ minute performance*.

On board for more Technique tracks as well. Mr. Disco, Vanishing Point and (strangely) Fine Time sounded massive at the two 1989 shows I attended.

*Alternative: I saw The Killers on their last tour and they took to opening with the obligatory Mr. Brightside while the house lights were still on. Took most by surprise and made quite the impact.

Edited by user 02 April 2014 06:22:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/04/2014(UTC), Who's Joe? on 02/04/2014(UTC)
is it bro  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2014 04:36:13(UTC)
is it bro

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Who' Go to Quoted Post
I provide these unsolicited setlist recommendations for the current lineup of New Order, with explanations. What are your recommendations?

1. Primitive Notion - of the songs recorded in the last 15 years, I am dumbfounded why this one has not been played live (as far as I can tell). It has a little bit of everything and is probably one of the best songs on Get Ready in my opinion. With two guitars and Gillian available to play the snyth line, I would think this would be great live.

2. Broken Promise - three guitar attack and would be completely awesome. Vocally I am not sure Bernard would need to change the key on it and would be a nice change up to throw into the set.

3. Everyone Everywhere - in the past I read that Bernard stated the chords were tricky to play live. With Phil able to tackle that, I think it could work and again, not sure much needs to be done with the vocals. I've always loved this one live and think it would be a welcome addition to the set (sub or rotate it in for World).

4. Someone Like You - with the focus on getting back in touch with the electronic sound, I cannot think of a better song to uncork in the set. Again, another song they've not played live, but I think with Gillian in the fold, it could be done and would very fun tucked into the set towards the end before launching into the end.

5. Everything's Gone Green - I really think this one is crying out for a reworking, much like 586, it could be something glorious to behold and nestled in with Temptation it could really stand out in the set. It would also conceivably allow them to consider rotating BLT or TF in and out on a nightly basis.

These are as stated unsolicited setlist ideas/recommendations/thoughts. Are there songs I would rather hear than these? Sure, I'd peronally love TLU, but given the comments I've seen Bernard is not a huge fan of the live arrangement, and thus, I'm not sure it will see the light of day again. Same goes for almost anything off Technique, but again, not sure where the band is on those tracks. The above are songs I think the band should try out and see if they work. I'd love to see them get to a point where they can pull from a mix of 30-35 songs. Just some random thoughts at 6am as I read the setlist from last night....

I wouldn't argue with any of those additions. Id add Lonesome Tonight. Its one of their finest songs IMO. I think they could make that work live and be really powerful.

Id also add This Time of Night too. I love the dark mood of this song.
thanks 2 users thanked is it bro for this useful post.
Andy  
#4 Posted : 02 April 2014 06:16:03(UTC)
Andy

Man

Also, if you only have one chance to see New Order, avoid making it a festival. The time (and other) constraints water down the experience.
Big Mouth Julio  
#5 Posted : 02 April 2014 07:43:54(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

Was thanked: 346 time(s) in 318 post(s)
Every Little Cunts
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
thanks 2 users thanked Big Mouth Julio for this useful post.
The Shadow  
#6 Posted : 02 April 2014 08:45:26(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
The main one for me would be leave me alone, one of the greatest songs ever.

Vanishing point would be great this sounded good when they played it on the technique tour, would fit in a set well if they are going more synth based.

I like the idea of Primitive motion also from get ready turn my way.

As it is when I was another great sounding live track that has not been aired for quite some time.

Hellbent - newish track that grows on me with every listen.

And as the original poster suggested everything gone green - still sounds fresh to this day, hooky playing this brilliantly live.

I agree it's about time blue Monday, regret and BLT gave a rest from the set.

I never get bored of temptation, ceremony or YSF, so they can all stay for me.
thanks 2 users thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
Andy  
#7 Posted : 02 April 2014 11:49:08(UTC)
Andy

Man

Setlist threads are always popular and I'd like to suggest a formula to construct your ideal set. Choose 16 tracks from the following:

10 tracks drawn from the 8 original LP's (you can ignore an album if you want more tracks from another).

5 non-album tracks (single, soundtrack, compilation, Lost Sirens, etc.)

1 Joy Division cover (surely this is enough)

Also, a 2 track medley counts as two tracks, for you sneaky old-timers!

Here's my first draft:

Here to Stay
Regret
Sub-Culture
Waiting For the Sirens' Call
Dream Attack
Singularity
Ceremony
Your Silent Face
Age of Consent
Mr. Disco
Vanishing Point
Bizarre Love Triangle
Face Up
Love Will Tear Us Apart

encore:

Lonesome Tonight
Temptation
Who's Joe? on 02/04/2014(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 02/04/2014(UTC)
ZASmusic  
#8 Posted : 02 April 2014 12:20:10(UTC)
ZASmusic

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I really think that Jetstream is overdue for a revival.

J-E-T
thanks 1 user thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
Andy  
#9 Posted : 02 April 2014 12:37:06(UTC)
Andy

Man

ZASmusic wrote:

J-E-T

Some would rather it wind up in the Indian Ocean!

I don't hate it (like the Richard X mix quite a bit). But don't yearn to hear it performed live. Some tracks I love didn't make my list (Leave Me Alone, Love Less and 1963, for example) due to the fact that they're not as effective in the live setting.
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ZASmusic  
#10 Posted : 02 April 2014 13:38:27(UTC)
ZASmusic

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Andy wrote:
ZASmusic wrote:

J-E-T

Some would rather it wind up in the Indian Ocean!

I don't hate it (like the Richard X mix quite a bit). But don't yearn to hear it performed live. Some tracks I love didn't make my list (Leave Me Alone, Love Less and 1963, for example) due to the fact that they're not as effective in the live setting.

My love of Jetstream is real and well documented in this forum, but my post was partly in jest. :)

I'd love to see Fine Time and Vanishing Point return.
thanks 1 user thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
Who's Joe?  
#11 Posted : 02 April 2014 15:07:38(UTC)
Who's Joe?

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 125 post(s)
ZASmusic wrote:

J-E-T

Knew I could count on you to raise the JET flag high. I'll never forget that one shining moment when Ana came on stage in NYC. I think the song should be frozen in that moment. The last time I saw Hook with the band, the last time I heard it live.....when I really wanted Who's Joe.....

thanks 1 user thanked Who's Joe? for this useful post.
El Jarvo  
#12 Posted : 03 April 2014 03:02:49(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
Everything's Gone Green would be wonderful.

Although they'd probably give it an orchestral two-minute opening now and introduce a clapping section.

A couple of the current tracks could do with a proper kick up the arse too - the click-tracks on Ceremony and Age of Consent remove all the chaotic joy from both songs. The latter especially needs speeding up just a smidgeon as it currently sounds quite laboured and downbeat.
thanks 1 user thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/04/2014(UTC)
Low Life  
#13 Posted : 03 April 2014 03:41:00(UTC)
Low Life

Man

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I'd also go with EGG, and Lonesome Tonight.... and would love to hear The Village - now that Gillian's back I'm sure they could make a decent fist of one of my all-time favourite album tracks.
thanks 1 user thanked Low Life for this useful post.
El Jarvo  
#14 Posted : 03 April 2014 05:21:58(UTC)
El Jarvo

Low Life wrote:
I'd also go with EGG, and Lonesome Tonight.... and would love to hear The Village - now that Gillian's back I'm sure they could make a decent fist of one of my all-time favourite album tracks.

I was gonna suggest the Village - good choice - but then had a rethink cos I guess that's way too high for Barney's vocal these days? Oh well
Low Life  
#15 Posted : 03 April 2014 05:45:32(UTC)
Low Life

Man

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 58 post(s)
El Jarvo wrote:
Low Life wrote:
had a rethink cos I guess that's way too high for Barney's vocal these days? Oh well

It always was! Big Grin
thanks 1 user thanked Low Life for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#16 Posted : 03 April 2014 08:38:56(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
http://www.neworderonlin...List.aspx?ThreadID=33184

Procession and Liar with Mel C on backing vocals
Pictures in my Mind
Ecstasy
Pineapple Face
And let's not forget True Faith '98, Temptation and Blue Monday
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Pyrtwist  
#17 Posted : 03 April 2014 10:05:37(UTC)
Pyrtwist

Was thanked: 490 time(s) in 413 post(s)
Open with Ultraviolence.
thanks 1 user thanked Pyrtwist for this useful post.
Col72  
#18 Posted : 03 April 2014 14:16:01(UTC)
Col72

Man

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 61 post(s)
I'd like to add "dreams never end" . They've not played that in ages. . . .
There's no sense in telling me, the wisdom of a fool wont set you free
thanks 1 user thanked Col72 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 04/04/2014(UTC)
Mr_D1sco  
#19 Posted : 03 April 2014 15:19:23(UTC)
Mr_D1sco

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Why torture yourselves? It's pretty obvious that the band are either not interested enough to care about changing the setlist or are simply too lazy to re-learn anything new. Playing festival slots gives them the perfect excuse to do this because these are the sets where they are expected to just play the hits anyway. Nice of them to play a new song ahead of its release but I'm sure that most fans would rather hear something, anything, from Technique.

Hooky plays most of the songs you lot are requesting with a lot more passion and vigour than this lineup of N.O ever will. And for a fraction of the price.

Edited by user 03 April 2014 15:20:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Mr_D1sco for this useful post.
CTB  
#20 Posted : 03 April 2014 21:06:43(UTC)
CTB

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Mr_D1sco wrote:
Why torture yourselves? It's pretty obvious that the band are either not interested enough to care about changing the setlist or are simply too lazy to re-learn anything new. Playing festival slots gives them the perfect excuse to do this because these are the sets where they are expected to just play the hits anyway. Nice of them to play a new song ahead of its release but I'm sure that most fans would rather hear something, anything, from Technique.

Hooky plays most of the songs you lot are requesting with a lot more passion and vigour than this lineup of N.O ever will. And for a fraction of the price.

Remind me again how many entirely new song's Hooky and the Light have performed...?

A cover band doing songs with passion and vigour is still a cover band.

Also - if the band are "not interested enough" or "too lazy" to add different songs to their setlists ... where does this leave Elegia, 1963, Here to stay, TLU, 586, I'll stay with you, Californian Grass, Round & round*, Singularity...?

*Technique track.

I can't disagree about the price thing you mention though - I'm sure the Light are cheaper to see than New Order...I suggest there is a good reason for that.

ctb
thanks 2 users thanked CTB for this useful post.
Andy on 03/04/2014(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 04/04/2014(UTC)
Andy  
#21 Posted : 03 April 2014 22:58:37(UTC)
Andy

Man

I understand the "It's not New Order without Hooky" sentiment that some hold. But to suggest that The Light are somehow more valid than the current lineup is ludicrous.
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
El Jarvo  
#22 Posted : 04 April 2014 02:17:35(UTC)
El Jarvo

CTB wrote:
I can't disagree about the price thing you mention though - I'm sure the Light are cheaper to see than New Order...I suggest there is a good reason for that.

It's a brand name.

One that Hooky helped build up.

The size of the gigs Hooky's doing are on a par with the gigs Bad Lieutenant did (with 4 of the current line-up of New Order). They couldn't charge much for those either, even when playing the likes of BLT, Regret, Ceremony and Temptation.

Edited by user 04 April 2014 02:20:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CTB  
#23 Posted : 04 April 2014 04:16:43(UTC)
CTB

El Jarvo wrote:
CTB wrote:

It's a brand name.

One that Hooky helped build up.

The size of the gigs Hooky's doing are on a par with the gigs Bad Lieutenant did (with 4 of the current line-up of New Order). They couldn't charge much for those either, even when playing the likes of BLT, Regret, Ceremony and Temptation.

Cynicism notwithstanding, Al - it's a 'brand name' that Hooky voluntarily left in 2007 - he may have helped build it up, but he still seems very bitter that he has (thus far) failed to tear it down again.

BL and The Light are not a fair comparison, irrespective of ticket prices or venue size - BL promoted an album of entirely new material with some NO/JD/BS solo tracks for the fans who bothered to show up; in contrast The Light are a textbook definition of a tribute act - with exactly fuck all original material, and in my opinion, roughly the same quantity of credibility.

But, each to their own...
thanks 1 user thanked CTB for this useful post.
El Jarvo  
#24 Posted : 04 April 2014 04:48:56(UTC)
El Jarvo

CTB wrote:
BL and The Light are not a fair comparison, irrespective of ticket prices or venue size - BL promoted an album of entirely new material with some NO/JD/BS solo tracks for the fans who bothered to show up; in contrast The Light are a textbook definition of a tribute act - with exactly fuck all original material, and in my opinion, roughly the same quantity of credibility.

How are the Light a "textbook definition of a tribute act" when they include Peter Hook who was part of both Joy Division and New Order for a good 30 years?

Edited by user 04 April 2014 04:49:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CTB  
#25 Posted : 04 April 2014 04:57:01(UTC)
CTB

El Jarvo wrote:
CTB wrote:

How are the Light a "textbook definition of a tribute act" when they include Peter Hook who was part of both Joy Division and New Order for a good 30 years?

Because Peter Hook was the non-singing bass player in those bands for 30 years (with very few exceptions, DNE and Interzone), not the lead vocalist who wears a bass as a stage prop.

If he was performing the same role in the Light as he did in JD/NO, I'd be less critical, but to voluntarily leave the band he had been part of for 30 years only to get some session musos and bass-playing son to help you pretend you are the singer of the band you were in and then tour said former band's albums track-by-track....not much dignity there IMO.

Edited by user 04 April 2014 04:58:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked CTB for this useful post.