logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
markreed  
#1 Posted : 26 March 2014 10:15:22(UTC)
markreed

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4147503-dis-meets-peter-hook--taking-career-advice-from-strangers-is-not-to-be-recommended

Some interesting comments there from Hook, but nothing unexpected. Though somewhat curiously, he seems to forget how unpredictable (i.e. awesome and awful sometimes in the same song) live New Order used to be. Which reminds me, I thought that for the Technique show he could play Substance in order, then Technique..

(p.s not sure this is the right place to post it)

Edited by user 26 March 2014 10:30:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked markreed for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/03/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Michael Monkhouse  
#2 Posted : 26 March 2014 23:50:42(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
'Having split with New Order in 2007, Hook put together a new outfit - The Light.' I love the Net, you learn a new thing every day.
'Tom Chapman really is a session musician.' Ouch!
'I’m not one for blowing my own trumpet.' I'll leave that to contortionists.
'I'd just finished playing 'Cries And Whispers' and some guy on the left shouted, "Well done Hooky, that was miles better than Barney!" And then some guy on the right shouted back, "Fuck off you twat, Barney's much better than you." So I thought there you go, that just about sums up life really. Everything's 50-50.' Yes, a nation divided.
'Rat Scabies who used to be in The Damned was telling me about a website he set up, where bands send him a tape and he'll play over it for £1000. Regardless of what it sounds like.' Glad the punk ethic is alive and well.
I'm really interested that he's thinking of doing Republic and even Revenge. As has been stated elsewhere on these forums, the album-album-album approach kinda falls apart from now on. What can we expect...?
Substance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKZ87ZB9LcA) and Technique.
Peel Sessions and One True Passion (easily his worst).
BBC Radio 1 Live In Concert (oops) and Republic (get Melanie C to do backing vocals to Liar).
Who knows...? Still, the Light have yet to do a duff gig so it'll be awesome anyway.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/03/2014(UTC)
Johnny James  
#3 Posted : 27 March 2014 01:20:55(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 954 time(s) in 439 post(s)
Quote:
Peter Hook: It is one reason, yeah. For sure. The nice thing about what I'm doing is I am getting to play every single song that we ever wrote and recorded. I've actually managed to get two songs into the set; 'Homage' and Promises'; that we didn't record, and I've also stumbled across a track called 'Too Late' which we recorded for a John Peel session that we never played and never recorded elsewhere.

So, what's 'Promises' then?
thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
LostSiren  
#4 Posted : 27 March 2014 06:12:50(UTC)
LostSiren

Was thanked: 218 time(s) in 176 post(s)
Michael Monkhouse wrote:

Peel Sessions and One True Passion (easily his worst).

Have you heard Freebass? THAT is easily the worst. One True Passion has it moments, I still enjoy it now and then
thanks 1 user thanked LostSiren for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#5 Posted : 27 March 2014 07:04:33(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Broken Promise from the Brotherhood gigs?
You're welcome to your opinion, which is English for Fuck that. Freebass emerged at the height of my Hooky hatred (I was converted after seeing The Light, see what I did there?) but the album is worthwhile though the EP was balls. OTP remains Hooky's balls for me - shoddy, unfocussed, self-obsessed and not even an album at all, just an excuse to indulge in touring and S 'n' M (i.e. wank) studies. Mind you, back in 1990 I only had two interests - New Order and masturbating - so OTP was double value for money. And I hereby give Hooky permission to tour it as long as Melanie C does the backing vocals to 'The Trouble With Girls' and that orgasm bit on the first single.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
The Shadow  
#6 Posted : 27 March 2014 11:53:28(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Johnny James wrote:
Quote:
Peter Hook: It is one reason, yeah. For sure. The nice thing about what I'm doing is I am getting to play every single song that we ever wrote and recorded. I've actually managed to get two songs into the set; 'Homage' and Promises'; that we didn't record, and I've also stumbled across a track called 'Too Late' which we recorded for a John Peel session that we never played and never recorded elsewhere.

So, what's 'Promises' then?

Good question I have never heard of this song before. I gave homage on a bootleg western works demos, interested to hear promises
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/03/2014(UTC)
The Shadow  
#7 Posted : 27 March 2014 11:57:40(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Really good interview I reckon. Better questions than normal from the dis journo. Glad to see the twat hole comment cleared up. Hooky will always be THE bass legend of new order and joy division. Also IMHO get ready is a really strong new order album interesting to know mainly a hook / sumner collaboration.
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#8 Posted : 28 March 2014 08:12:23(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Interesting to read that he brought Phil into the band.

I always thought Bernard brought him in because Phil played in Electronic during the Twisted Tenderness promo appearances.

He played guitar when they did "Haze" on Jo Whiley's show back in the day...
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ZASmusic  
#9 Posted : 28 March 2014 08:13:55(UTC)
ZASmusic

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I love when these interviews with Hooky are conducted by sycophantic Peter Hook fans who don't ask him any hard questions.

DiS: I guess the fact they're playing what is primarily a greatest hits set could be dismissed as being pure nostalgia?

Peter Hook: The thing is, Bernard and Stephen just wouldn't ever choose a very interesting setlist. They're just settled on playing a greatest hits set. Whereas I don't think our greatest hits represented New Order to the full extent. I thought there were many other tracks that they didn't play which were more representative of New Order in the way we created a unique style of music. But they would never play them, which caused me a great deal of frustration in 2004 when we were playing Get Ready. By 2006 that frustration was still there. They were very catholic shall we say in their choice of set. So I must admit I was very delighted when they came back in 2011 amidst all that hoo-hah and they were just doing exactly the same thing. So I would have been intentionally frustrated if we hadn't have split up in 2006 when considering their shortcomings, they're still doing them. As to why they do that, you'd have to ask them. The interesting thing is whenever New Order do interviews most journalists never ask them pertinent questions. They're scared of them walking out I suppose?

When since New Order came back in 2011, they have either revived or played live for the first time (ever or in many years) 586, Age of Consent, Touched by the Hand of God, Thieves Like Us, 1963, Heart and Soul, The Perfect Kiss (because it was absent until 2006), Close Range, Here to Stay, Round and Round, World, I'll Stay With You, and Californian Grass.

Hardly the same set they were doing from 2001-2006. Plus they have also done revamped new versions of Temptation, True Faith, Krafty, and Bizarre Love Triangle.

Also...plenty of journalist have asked Bernard and the band "hard" questions about playing without Hook, and they always answer with respect and class, whereas Hooky always go out of his way to slag them off...especially when interviewed by a journalist with such a clear bias.

DiS: One rumour I've heard is that Bernard and his teleprompter set restrictions counteracted your philosophy for playing as much as possible from the entire back catalogue being partly responsible for the split. Was that the case?

Peter Hook: It is one reason, yeah. For sure. The nice thing about what I'm doing is I am getting to play every single song that we ever wrote and recorded. I've actually managed to get two songs into the set; 'Homage' and Promises'; that we didn't record, and I've also stumbled across a track called 'Too Late' which we recorded for a John Peel session that we never played and never recorded elsewhere. If you search it out on You Tube it's a great song. Why have we never recorded that? The only reason we never recorded it was because Bernard didn't like it. That was usually the edit and become the mantra of the whole group in my opinion. If Bernard didn't like it then you didn't do it.

Most bands have a leader...it's usually the person who does most of the songwriting. Switching out text for a teleprompter isn't that hard to do these days, first I've heard of this rumor. When most bands tour, they have a standard set they will play. LCD Soundsystem and the Scissor Sisters both played roughly the same set every night for their 2010 and 2013 tours, respectively.

Otherwise an interesting interview. I just finished reading Hooky's JD book, which I must say I really enjoyed, when he isn't overcome with bitterness he is quite the entertaining raconteur.
thanks 1 user thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.