logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
negative1  
#51 Posted : 19 October 2018 09:41:20(UTC)
negative1

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 628 time(s) in 517 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 50 Pound Note Go to Quoted Post
This was not unknown. When we did Recycle in 2009, both the full-length and 7" edits of the '86 remix (the version used in the film Pretty In Pink) were included with Shellshock. There are 5 variants of Thieves:

Instrumental '86 7" Edit (Shellshock 7" B-side) 4:25

thanks, i'm looking back at your blog pages, and
yes, i didn't record the times when you posted it.

that last edit is your version right, and from the notes,
all the vinyl versions clock in at 3:58:

"Tracklisting:

1. Shellshock
2. Shellcock
3. Thieves Like Us Instrumental '86
4. Shellshock (7" Edit)
5. Thieves Like Us Instrumental '86 (7" Edit)

1 and 2 sourced from Factory UK 45RPM 12" single FAC 143
3 sourced from A&M Canada 45RPM 12" single SP-12174
4 sourced from Factory UK 45RPM 7" single FAC 143
5 edited from 3

Notes from the restorer:
I initially created the full-length Shellshock by taking the Substance edit and putting back the edited-out portions from vinyl, carefully EQing it to match. While most people couldn't hear where the edits were, one person claimed to, so for this version, it's all from vinyl. I was hesitant do to this, for there is a very faint bit of pre-echo audible at the intro... but oh well.

Annoyingly, the 7" version cannot be created from editing the other versions down. I say annoyingly because I spent a couple of hours working on it and was almost done, only to discover that there's a brief snippet at around the three-minute mark which isn't anywhere in the 12" or dub versions."

later

Edited by user 19 October 2018 09:57:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
mick on 23/10/2018(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#52 Posted : 19 October 2018 15:21:27(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 76 post(s)
This was not unknown. When we did Recycle in 2009, both the full-length and 7" edits of the '86 remix (the version used in the film Pretty In Pink) were included with Shellshock. There are 5 variants of Thieves:

Original (12" single A-side) 6:38
7" Promo Edit 3:57
Instrumental (Murder single B-side) 6:58
Instrumental '86 (Shellshock 12" B-side) 6:38

There's also an alternate version of the 12" mix. Have a listen to the "And it cuts your life like a broken knife" line at 5:29 on 'Substance' and the original 12", then compare it to the 'The Best Of' and 'Power, Corruption & Lies (Collector's Edition)' versions - there's an echo/repeat of "knife". Guess this was an alternate mixdown made at the time the original 12" was made, which accidentally got remastered erroneously for these release. nevertheless, it adds an additional version of the track to the list.

Andy

thanks 1 user thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
mick on 23/10/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#53 Posted : 19 October 2018 16:23:18(UTC)
Fotzepolitic

Was thanked: 1462 time(s) in 1131 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mr Discography Go to Quoted Post

There's also an alternate version of the 12" mix. Have a listen to the "And it cuts your life like a broken knife" line at 5:29 on 'Substance' and the original 12", then compare it to the 'The Best Of' and 'Power, Corruption & Lies (Collector's Edition)' versions - there's an echo/repeat of "knife". Guess this was an alternate mixdown made at the time the original 12" was made, which accidentally got remastered erroneously for these release. nevertheless, it adds an additional version of the track to the list.

Andy

This rings a bell.At some point i've heard Thieves and the "broken knife (knife)" has registered as oh i never noticed the "knife" echo/repeat before but i had just put it down to my ears and mind hearing the "knife" twice, like i imagined it or something.

thanks 1 user thanked Fotzepolitic for this useful post.
mick on 23/10/2018(UTC)
Johnny James  
#54 Posted : 20 October 2018 03:34:08(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 308 time(s) in 225 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mr Discography Go to Quoted Post

Andy

That's a bad vocal drop in rather than a completely different take. Rest of and the Collector's Edition used a source taken from the studio master rather than the fixed production master.

Edited by user 20 October 2018 04:32:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
mick on 23/10/2018(UTC)