logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DJFairborne77  
#1 Posted : 19 October 2013 11:52:35(UTC)
DJFairborne77

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Apologies if it's been mentioned before, but I wonder if anyone knows anything about a cover of "Blue Monday" I found on Amazon UK's MP3 store earlier today, by someone called Lord Horror.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/...id=1382212362&sr=1-1

The guy seems to be singing some other lyrics over the "Blue Monday" music, but I don't know what it is. The artwork is a bit extreme, as it looks like some guy with a kind of head injury. It says the song was originally released way back in 1986, but this is the first time I've heard of it.

Anyway, does anyone know more about this?...
thanks 1 user thanked DJFairborne77 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/10/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Aracri  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2013 04:24:50(UTC)
Aracri

Man

Was thanked: 403 time(s) in 355 post(s)
It was recorded by The Savoy Hitler Youth Band, featuring this guy called Lord Horror on vocals. They sang Bruce Springsteen's "Cadillac Ranch" lyrics on that single. More details here: http://www.savoy.abel.co.uk/HTML/blue.html

More on Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/Savoy-Hitler-Youth-Band-Blue-Monday-/release/3536473
Peter Who?

UserPostedImage

thanks 2 users thanked Aracri for this useful post.
DJFairborne77 on 21/10/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 25/10/2013(UTC)
DJFairborne77  
#3 Posted : 21 October 2013 03:34:26(UTC)
DJFairborne77

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Thanks for the info, Aracri. I've never heard of this Savoy company before, so it was quite interesting to read about their works over the years (books & records etc).
thanks 1 user thanked DJFairborne77 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/10/2013(UTC)
perspexorange  
#4 Posted : 09 July 2020 09:35:06(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3447 time(s) in 2250 post(s)
Resurrecting a very old thread...

Just discovered this 'cover' version myself, having read an old article in 'Sounds' from 24/01/87. This news article details this controversial release.

Just a short summary of this for the uninitiated (of which I was one yesterday!).

It appears that 'Savoy Books', which issued literature of a subversive / seditious nature back in the 80s, decided to release a cover version of 'Blue Monday', which also featured lyrics from Springsteen's 'Cadillac Ranch'. This was late 1986 / early 1987, I think.

Here's the track in question:

Apparently this record was deemed a little too controversial to distribute, with most companies outright refusing to have anything to do with it.

The main controversy appears to relate specifically to these two points:

a) The cover of the record (which has been censored on the YouTube clip above). You can view the original artwork here, in all it's 'glory':

https://www.discogs.com/...-Monday-/release/3536473

Basically, it depicts then Manchester Police Chief Constable, James Anderton; a controversial figure back in the day who advocated 'work camps' for offenders and believed he received orders direct from God. Anderton is shown on the cover with the back of his head blown out, and various very 'extreme' words appear in scrawled writing alongside the image.

b) The name of the band that released it; namely 'The Savoy Hitler Youth Band', featuring vocals by 'Lord Horror'.

Now the choice of the song coupled with the Nazi band name, seems to me to be a 'not so subtle' dig at New Order.
Which brings me onto my point, really.

The two head honchos of Savoy Books were David Britton and Michael Butterworth, the latter of whom you'll probably be familiar with from the book, 'The Blue Monday Diaries'.
This book talks about the author's time in the studio with New Order, where he was an invited observer when the band were recording PC&L and the titular song in question. This book also delves into Butterworth's trials and tribulations with his bookstore and their ongoing battles with the Greater Manchester Constabulary.

So, I'm just wondering how much Mr Butterworth was involved in this record.
I've tried to search through the book, but there doesn't appear to be any reference to this particular song (although I may have missed this). However, it appears that he and Britton released a series of books under the 'Lord Horror' title. I think these were mainly written by Britton.

If Mr Butterworth was involved in this record, which does seem likely (even if it was just selling the record), I wonder how much that pissed the band off.
I mean, it's not a very subtle way of trying to say that the band are fascists.

Now, having read the book, it is obvious that Mr Butterworth does not believe that the band had fascist tendencies. In fact he mentions in a few places that this image of the band and Factory was unwarranted.

So, it therefore seems a little harsh of him to be involved in a record that appeared to perpetuate this unfounded rumour.
Especially considering the band had been so generous in their acceptance of him, giving him full access to Britannia Row at the time of recording, in order that he could write a book. (It should be pointed out that, for reasons that I can't remember right now, was shelved for 30 years or so, so didn't really help the band with promotion at the time).

I'd like to think that there was nothing malicious in the intentions of Mr Butterworth (et al) with this record. I'm sure that it was part joke and part 'sticking two fingers up' at the establishment. However it does seem a little crass to have green lit something like this, when he would've known that the band were fighting an uphill battle with the music press over them being (unfairly and unjustly) labelled as Nazi sympathisers.

I'm sure that the band were pretty pissed off with it. In fact that 'Sounds' article that started me on this quest to find out more includes a quote from Hooky:

"We've seen the record and the whole thing is a pile of shit!"

Not sure why I've decided to post this, but just thought it was fairly interesting. Anyone know anything else about this?

thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/07/2020(UTC)
Fotz  
#5 Posted : 10 July 2020 12:20:40(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3615 time(s) in 2616 post(s)
Lord Horror, that horrible name rings very very vague bells from back in the deepest depths of long gone 80s .Vaguely remember the name or him causing a bit of talk and heat for a few minutes sometime in the 80s but that's as far as my memory of the name goes, sorry.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#6 Posted : 10 July 2020 13:12:06(UTC)
perspexorange

Cheers for the reply, Fotz.

Bit of a longshot, I know. I'm not really expecting too much in the way of information, given it's fairly obscure.

I just think it's quite an interesting thing for someone who was relatively close to the band to do something as 'arsey' as this (I say 'relatively', as the band were fairly 'prickly' at this stage in their career).

I wonder if he was pissed off with them for some reason.
Daws  
#7 Posted : 15 July 2020 04:48:08(UTC)
Daws

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I remember these releases coming out in the 80s, fair blew my socks off! Out of boredom one day, I emailed Savoy a couple of years ago, not really expecting a reply, but they did. Top people, there's a whole unwritten history of Manchester tied in with Savoy Books. Here's what they said;

"Blue Monday was the first 'explosive' record we did. We can remember sitting in Porky's mastering studio with the finished mix. It sounded colossal coming out of the speaker. Vinyl is always best. When we transferred it to CD, it lost a third of its power. Ditto most of our vinyl releases.

One discerning DJ at The Ritz, Manchester, used to mix our version with the original.

Raw Power sounded like it had been recorded in a dungeon. We did that at Peter Hook's Rochdale studio. You can't beat Ig's version of course, but we think we shook a reasonable tassel at the iconic song/record.

Yes we've done quite a bit over the years. You seem to be one of the few people who have come to us from one genre and seen what we've done in another. It's odd looking out at nearly 40 years of productivity and seeing how ghettoised we are. You'll never read anything about Savoy in Mojo, etc. They perhaps see us as some neo-novices when in fact we've been steeped in rock'n'roll for more than 50 years and know a damn sight more than 80% of their writers! Still, that is the way of the world. In fact it's about being good. You won't find us sandwiched between Oasis and the Happy Mondays!

I guess by now you've noticed that we've recut Blue Monday again with Fenella Fielding, twice in fact, two versions, staying a bit closer to the New Order original.

We've often wondered what Ian Curtis would have made of these. He was a regular visitor to Savoy's book/record shops in the 1970s. Morrissey used to come in too, but he never had anything by him that was worth doing a version of, or even taking the piss out of."
thanks 2 users thanked Daws for this useful post.
perspexorange on 15/07/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 17/07/2020(UTC)
perspexorange  
#8 Posted : 15 July 2020 08:54:52(UTC)
perspexorange

Many thanks for this info, Daws. And thanks for taking the time to post.

Interesting stuff indeed, To be fair, their website's also quite intriguing.

It certainly seems more likely that the Blue Monday cover was a light-hearted swipe at New Order, rather than anything particularly malicious.
ROCKET MICK on 17/07/2020(UTC)
perspexorange  
#9 Posted : 15 July 2020 12:24:31(UTC)
perspexorange

In a completely weird quirk of fate, I happened across an interview with David Britton just now.
I was searching for something else, but found this:

http://www.ballardian.co...ous-emissaries-britton-3

It's a three-part interview and he talks about New Order, Joy Division and his covers of "Blue Monday" and "Love Will Tear Us Apart" (with PJ Proby).

It certainly sounds like he had a bit of a downer on New Order.

For instance:

"SS: With the original “Blue Monday” single, how on Earth did you come up with the idea of splicing Springsteen with New Order?

DB: There was a touch of the Don Quixote about the venture, wasn’t there? I didn’t think “Blue Monday” merited the reputation it received in the press — or that New Order deserved the weight placed on them by music critics. The percussive throb of the record, and Hooky’s bassline, was good, I thought, while the lyrics seemed fifth form, weak and ineffectual, like the group’s other lyrics. But Michael had been present at New Order’s original Power, Corruption And Lies session at Britannia Row Studios, and had come away with the suspicion that something quite unique had occurred. Despite my misgivings, this was something I took on board. I was attacking something — “Blue Monday”/New Order — with a reputation that has increased year by year."

and:

"SS: Savoy’s take on “Love Will Tear Us Apart” was hardly reverential.

DB: I didn’t have any reverence. I couldn’t see virtue in it. In making our version I was just marshalling another kind of Manchester attitude — get in there and give it some turmoil, and see what would come out of that."

finally:

"SS: Do you like any of the post-punk Manchester bands?

DB: The advent of Joy Division, The Fall and the others didn’t really touch me. Besides, there wasn’t a decent singer amongst any of the Manc groups. I’d had a lifetime of hearing flat Mancunian vowels and consonants, and didn’t want to listen to more of such shenanigans on record. I had to cross my legs when Morrissey started bleating, and chuckle at that Cheeta-impersonating chappie from the Stone Roses attempting to wrestle a decent noise from a stillborn larynx. Then Oasis showed up, demonstrating how to do poor karaoke Beatles. "

So, it seems quite likely that Britton really didn't like JD/NO, so may have quite fancied pissing them off.
It sounds like Butterworth was probably a little more in tune with the band. Maybe he just went along with it, as it was in keeping with the style of Savoy.

Still, pretty interesting stuff anyway.
ROCKET MICK on 17/07/2020(UTC)