logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dave3  
#1 Posted : 22 September 2013 06:56:19(UTC)
Dave3

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
First off, please allow me to introduce myself, I'm Dave3 and I am, as should be expected, a New Order fan. I haven't lurked for too long though I have visited the resources here on multiple occasions, so I should also note myself as a fan of the site. So, with that out of the way...

I'm sure this has been discussed far more often than anyone would like to acknowledge, but I'm trying to gather information on The Happy One, specifically the versions currently available. The one I generally listen to is from The Power Of Independent Trucking's two-part anthology he featured in 2009, not to be confused with the Recycle project. I'm also familiar with 50 Pound Note's version, and the YouTube video of Hooky performing it solo. That said, I've been trying to get the best version, preferably in a lossless format, forever. I've seen the Excerpts From 'Recycle' disc listed on Discogs but haven't been able to check it out (or the other tracks not featured at the Recycle blog or elsewhere), and I know there are multiple excerpts on the Palatine Lane sampler, but I can't find those either. Would anyone please be willing to have mercy on my sorry self and help me?

By the way, off topic here, but how common is the True Faith 2001 promo remixes CD Warners US with the Philip Steir and Morel remixes? I've seen it mentioned but haven't seen scans on most of the discographies. I'd be happy to scan mine if you'd like. Thank you.
thanks 1 user thanked Dave3 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/09/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Bill  
#2 Posted : 22 September 2013 10:24:22(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
Welcome, Dave.No offence but every time I see the words "lossless " and " format " together I tend to leave the thread / do something else / leg it to the pub and get pissed. Much the same when I see the word " flac"

I'm off out for a pint. Bye.
thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
Dave3  
#3 Posted : 22 September 2013 11:38:35(UTC)
Dave3

Factory™ wrote:
Welcome, Dave.No offence but every time I see the words "lossless " and " format " together I tend to leave the thread / do something else / leg it to the pub and get pissed. Much the same when I see the word " flac"

I'm off out for a pint. Bye.

No offense taken, not everyone is concerned with FLAC or whatever. I'm an audio junky, so despite having good copies already, I'm always looking for better.
Dennis Remmer  
#4 Posted : 22 September 2013 21:13:45(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Was thanked: 361 time(s) in 213 post(s)
Dave3 wrote:
I'm sure this has been discussed far more often than anyone would like to acknowledge, but I'm trying to gather information on The Happy One

Here's an old thread on the topic which might help.

Cheers
Dennis

thanks 1 user thanked Dennis Remmer for this useful post.
Dave3  
#5 Posted : 23 September 2013 02:49:20(UTC)
Dave3

Dennis Remmer wrote:
Here's an old thread on the topic which might help.

Cheers
Dennis

Thanks Dennis, that's actually quite helpful, though I've still got some questions. First off, does anyone have the Palatine Lane excerpts in lossless and are the other bits we've heard from other sources like the Substance 89 Laserdisc? Again, it's kind-of amazing that the song was never officially released somewhere along the line. I actually quite like Hook's solo performance video and the intro, though I'm doubting we'll ever hear a really clean version of that performance.
NotAMod  
#6 Posted : 23 September 2013 03:35:30(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Welcome to the board, Dave.

First off, while I've never personally seen the fuss over The Happy One - bit of a half-baked demo - I don't believe there is a definitive version, merely various fan approximations spliced together from the Palatine sampler CD. I can sort you out with a FLAC copy of the one which features "Excerpts..." if you like but I think it's identical to the MP3 The Analogue Loyalist released a few years ago. The quality of the version on "Excerpts.." isn't wonderful (sounds compressed) so they may have only had the MP3 as the "master" source for the CD.

Secondly, the True Faith 2001 promo CD is on Discogs with some scans I uploaded almost a decade ago. If you look on Discogs Marketplace there are currently two copies for sale with the lowest price starting at £50. Generally 1-2 copies show up on Ebay per year so it's rare but there are rarer... there is another Morel CDR which I've only seen about once on Ebay and unfortunately missed out on. Which copy do you have?
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
Dave3  
#7 Posted : 23 September 2013 09:31:53(UTC)
Dave3

NotAMod wrote:
Welcome to the board, Dave.

First off, while I've never personally seen the fuss over The Happy One - bit of a half-baked demo - I don't believe there is a definitive version, merely various fan approximations spliced together from the Palatine sampler CD. I can sort you out with a FLAC copy of the one which features "Excerpts..." if you like but I think it's identical to the MP3 The Analogue Loyalist released a few years ago. The quality of the version on "Excerpts.." isn't wonderful (sounds compressed) so they may have only had the MP3 as the "master" source for the CD.

Thanks for the clarification NotAMod. If you do have the Excerpts... CD in FLAC, I'd love to get a copy just to have it, if it isn't too much trouble. Even if the sound isn't perfect, I love examining different sources of recordings, especially since that one has some obscurities on it, potentially from other sources.

NotAMod wrote:
Secondly, the True Faith 2001 promo CD is on Discogs with some scans I uploaded almost a decade ago. If you look on Discogs Marketplace there are currently two copies for sale with the lowest price starting at £50. Generally 1-2 copies show up on Ebay per year so it's rare but there are rarer... there is another Morel CDR which I've only seen about once on Ebay and unfortunately missed out on. Which copy do you have?

The one I have is the same as yours. Wish I had the Morel CDR but honestly, I'm more a fan of the Steir remixes so I guess it's alright. I had the US vinyl at one point as well, the standard, stickered promo version, but I don't know what happened to it.
Old Blue  
#8 Posted : 25 September 2013 10:37:22(UTC)
Old Blue

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Here are the snippets from Palatine Lane : http://www.sendspace.com/file/xec5iq

(only click the blue box with 'download from Sendspace', the other download buttons aren't it!!)
thanks 2 users thanked Old Blue for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/09/2013(UTC), Dave3 on 29/09/2013(UTC)
El Jarvo  
#9 Posted : 26 September 2013 06:44:31(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
Old Blue wrote:

(only click the blue box with 'download from Sendspace', the other download buttons aren't it!!)

You're alive then? Hi
thanks 1 user thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/09/2013(UTC)
Old Blue  
#10 Posted : 26 September 2013 09:50:55(UTC)
Old Blue

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Just about...
thanks 1 user thanked Old Blue for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/09/2013(UTC)
Dave3  
#11 Posted : 29 September 2013 04:14:48(UTC)
Dave3

Old Blue wrote:

Much thanks!
ROCKET MICK on 25/10/2013(UTC)