logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CuanaD  
#26 Posted : 06 June 2012 17:54:42(UTC)
CuanaD

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 26 post(s)
El Jarvo wrote:

We went on the hunt for Andy Liddle at some boozer he said he'd be drinking in after the gig. He never showed! And then somehow ended up drinking in New Order's hotel till 5am, with a free bar courtesy of sshhhhh! Only Mr Cunningham lasted the distance with us.

UserPostedImage
That's about the size of it - Phil, Andy R.(I think?) & Natalie(honest - that's who she was Al!) - all stayed the distance. I don't remember Steve being there at all, But Gillian & family (including sister - so you were right there Cranelane) were there a while & Bernard stayed until after Eimear gave that fascinating 'speach'.

Pre-drinks was a lot of fun - great to catch up with you guys again

Gig was a bit of a blur - spent most of it in front of 'Mini Mike' & was very impressed with the sound quality, normally it's too distorted so close to the stage. Probably was the best I've seen them play since . . . I dunno.
I did miss The Elephant in the Room's posturings, but on the other hand, its great to have Gillian back - sound is so much fuller now & I've always felt the gigs in the last decade were lacking that without her.

Anyone remember the set list?

Edited by user 06 June 2012 17:55:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked CuanaD for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/06/2012(UTC)
El Jarvo  
#27 Posted : 07 June 2012 00:10:31(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
CuanaD wrote:
Anyone remember the set list?

Same as Brum.

(Interestingly, I looked on setlist.fm and it has both gigs' (Brum and Dublin) setlists incorrect. Strange that).

Elegia
Crystal
Regret
Ceremony
Age of Consent
Love Vig
Round & Round
Krafty
BLT
Toothache
Perfect Kiss
Blau Montag
Temptation

(encore, sort of)
LWTUA
thanks 1 user thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
El Jarvo  
#28 Posted : 07 June 2012 00:28:30(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
Cranelane wrote:
I was wondering what hotel they were staying in, I guessed it might be the Clarence but my girlfriend reckoned somewhere like the Westbury..

Dylan Hotel.

Nice and swanky.
thanks 1 user thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
confusion  
#29 Posted : 07 June 2012 04:32:06(UTC)
confusion

Man

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 121 post(s)
Cranelane wrote:
El Jarvo wrote:
Best one yet, I thought. Very good day out all round

I thougth it was pretty special aswell, I enjoyed the earlier part of the gig as much as the finale by which time I was needing a bathroom break, I should have done what Bernard does and gone during the intro to Blue Monday but I didn't want to lose my place at the barrier..

Yep, best open air gig yet. But it wasn't a reason to wet yourself during the gig. Big Grin

Did anything from general interest happen in the hotel, El Jarvo? Hi

Edited by user 07 June 2012 04:32:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked confusion for this useful post.
confusion  
#30 Posted : 07 June 2012 05:20:14(UTC)
confusion

Man

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 121 post(s)
Irish Times

Quote:
And then suddenly we were at the Saturday night headliners, where festival reputations are won and lost. On the main stage were chart colossi New Order,...

Quote:
But back on the main stage, all eyes were on New Order. The band who launched a thousand electro dance tunes in 1983 with the release of Blue Monday got a rapturous reception when they took to the stage. This set took time to develop its energy though. Woolly sound took a while to shake off its shackles, but by then the hits were rolling and the fans were up in ecstatic arms. There are few ways to top unleashing an extended version of Blue Monday on a festival crowd, but sealing a set by drawing on Joy Division’s peerless Love Will Tear Us Apart is one sure way to cement your live reputation. Highlights aside, this set might have seemed a little underwhelming for those of us who don’t entirely subscribe to the new world order, but for the fans who have waited a long time for this gig to happen, it delivered all the right knockout electro pop blows.

Review

thanks 1 user thanked confusion for this useful post.
Cranelane  
#31 Posted : 07 June 2012 08:48:08(UTC)
Cranelane

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)
confusion wrote:

Yep, best open air gig yet. But it wasn't a reason to wet yourself during the gig. Big Grin

No worries, I didn't lose control Wink

Quote:
Dylan Hotel

5 Star with a fitness centre,yeah that looks impressive..
We stayed at The Maldron in Cardiff Lane which would have been very convenient had we been attending a gig at the 02 Smile

A review from my local newspaper complete with out of date pic..
Irish Examiner
(Link isn't working so well so here is the text)

Quote:
New Order were the festival circuit veterans at Forbidden Fruit in Kilmainham.

As headliners, they had one great advantage over other acts on the bill: they got to play as darkness descended, affording them the natural atmospherics their music cries out for.
Bernard Sumner is never the most charismatic of frontmen. He says little, and even then can barely be understood. Now and then he divests himself of his guitar and shuffles awkwardly about the mic, but that’s as far as his stage craft goes.
Peter Hook, slouching about with his low-slung bass, was always Sumner’ss natural foil on stage, and his absence only serves to point up Sumner’s shortcomings all the more (these days, Hookie fronts a band called The Light, playing Joy Division’s first album Unknown Pleasures in its entirety).
But Sumner & Co delivered their set with the grace and professionalism one always associates with New Order.
They opened with Elegia, Crystal and Regret. After 30 years in and out of the studio, they have no shortage of material to choose from, and Age of Consent and True Faith also got stirring outings.
The crowd were with them from the start, but all the more so when they launched into that strangest of pop singles, ‘Blue Monday’, an epic slice of electro-trance perfection that seems entirely ageless.
They followed that with the utterly irresistible ‘Temptation’, before closing with another crowd-pleaser, Joy Division’s paean to doomed love, ‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’.

Edited by user 07 June 2012 08:56:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
strandbhoy  
#32 Posted : 07 June 2012 10:51:50(UTC)
strandbhoy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thought it was the best gig ive seen new order play in 20 years. I was at the Glasgow gig recently and although it was good I thought the sound was a bit heavy for the guitar numbers. however the open air made the sound much better. It was also the best crowd reaction i have seen the band get in comparaison to the other festivals they played in ireland in the last 10 years and the reviews have been very positive from what i have read. was funny to see barney head out to the jacks just as the set was about to stat and i also noticed gillian and stephens kids seemed to be with them.

the band also took part in a q+a in the hot press signing tent which lasted around 20 mins. noone mentioned hooky but one person asked was anik the yoko of the band. didnt get answered. Barney threatened they were going to play world in motion and overall they were extremely pleasant and relaxed.
thanks 1 user thanked strandbhoy for this useful post.
strandbhoy  
#33 Posted : 07 June 2012 10:53:45(UTC)
strandbhoy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
royal hospital kilmainham

There's a hipster takeover as day two of Forbidden Fruit hits its stride. Sideways quiffs, skinny pants and 'interesting' moustaches are out in force as the buzz act of the weekend, Montreal lady-popster Claire Boucher, aka Grimes, performs at the Undergrowth tent. Looking like a china doll from an alternative dimension, the alabaster- skinned Boucher may make dense, introverted music but she knows how to work a cooler-than-thou crowd. By the time she reaches for quasi smash 'Oblivion', the room is as giddy as the front row at a One Direction show.

On the main stage, punk-funk veterans The Rapture provide a blast of early 2000s nostalgia via their classic 'House of Jealous Lovers'. A cynic would tell you everything they've done since is a variation of the song's over caffeinated, Cure-go-dance blueprint.

A freezing gale swirls about Kilmainham as Death Cab For Cutie slope on. The floppy fringed 30-somethings are as angsty as you'd expect a group that came together in 90s Seattle to be, though, without the traditional incoherent rage. Largely a cult affair in Europe, Death Cab are arguably better known on account of frontman Ben Gibbard's recently ended marriage to 'adorkable' pin-up Zooey Deschanel.

Sad, sweet staples such as 'Soul Meets Body' and the divine 'Marching Bands of Manhattan' suggest we've been missing out.

In the Lighthouse tent, New York glitch-up artist Com Truise -- do you see what he did there? -- is leaning over his laptop, frowning intensely.

As is no doubt mandatory for someone with a tune on the Tron remix soundtrack, his electronica tends towards the doomily portentous. With the sky outside turning darker by the minute, the ominous overtones couldn't be more appropriate.

Now that they are estranged from iconic bassist Peter Hook, the fear is headliners New Order will be a shadow of their former selves. In fact, their main stage slot is a revelation.

Bravely, they've loaded the set with obscurities, such as the proto-Blue Monday album track '586' and the chiming, Smiths-esque 'Age of Consent'. Topping things off, they encore with their toweringly melancholic Joy Division hit 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'.

You stumble into the night all the hairs on your neck standing to attention, a chill down your spine.

- ed power

Irish Independent

thanks 1 user thanked strandbhoy for this useful post.
Ger  
#34 Posted : 07 June 2012 11:32:27(UTC)
Ger

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Great day out, great gig. As always a pleasure to meet up with the traveling army (on this occasion Al, Mark, Gordie, Norbert & Steve) and the Irish Order. Deffo doing Spain (the island gigs) now, hope to see a few of you there

After 30 odd years it looks like they have this live thing licked.

Here's a link to the New Order interview pre-gig in the Hot Press tent, mainly Barney and Steve. Great to see them looking so relaxed and in good form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO2Eamp9f6g
thanks 2 users thanked Ger for this useful post.
Andy on 08/06/2012(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 14/06/2012(UTC)
Bill  
#35 Posted : 09 June 2012 02:02:13(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
Cranelane wrote:

A review from my local newspaper
Quote:

Bernard Sumner is never the most charismatic of frontmen.

Pah! What bollocks. Dumb journalist.

Barney has at times come out with funniest lines and quips i've ever had the good fortune of hearing at gigs ever! Very underrated comedian. Can't imagine Bongo or Piss Martin ever coming out with funnier quips in a million years.

The journo obviously has a very dull sense of humour.
thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
Bill  
#36 Posted : 09 June 2012 02:15:23(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
Deleted previous two because of triple post
thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
Geri  
#37 Posted : 09 June 2012 04:28:00(UTC)
Geri

Woman

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 194 post(s)
johnny wrote:
Cranelane wrote:

A review from my local newspaper
Quote:

Bernard Sumner is never the most charismatic of frontmen.

Pah! What bollocks. Dumb journalist.

Barney has at times come out with funniest lines and quips i've ever had the good fortune of hearing at gigs ever! Very underrated comedian. Can't imagine Bongo or Piss Martin ever coming out with funnier quips in a million years.

The journo obviously has a very dull sense of humour.

all very personal though these reviews ?! some love him, some love the other one ... you can't please them all. we all love him so that's alright then isn't it.
I know, you know, we believe in a chosen few ...
thanks 1 user thanked Geri for this useful post.
Jul  
#38 Posted : 09 June 2012 10:01:59(UTC)
Jul

Was thanked: 210 time(s) in 175 post(s)
Eh? That was a very positive review, Barney's never played the part of a "charismatic frontman" - he's never been a traditional frontman anyway, for the better.
thanks 1 user thanked Jul for this useful post.
Big Mouth Julio  
#39 Posted : 10 June 2012 05:36:40(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

Was thanked: 346 time(s) in 318 post(s)
New Order's frontman was their ex-bass player Evil
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
thanks 1 user thanked Big Mouth Julio for this useful post.
Gazman  
#40 Posted : 19 June 2012 21:27:17(UTC)
Gazman

Was thanked: 481 time(s) in 383 post(s)
From newordernow

Quote:
. We always seem to have great shows in Dublin and this was no exception. It was hands in the air all the way to the back of the crowd, past the desks where I was watching from. A highlight of the tour this far, and thanks to the vikings and associates for apres show drinks back at the hotel.

Lovely Scottish crumpet
Nod
thanks 1 user thanked Gazman for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/06/2012(UTC)