logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Midnight Blue  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2013 10:55:30(UTC)
Midnight Blue

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Peter Hook of New Order fame plays Toronto Sept. 19
While old bandmates Hook, Bernard Sumner, Stephen Morris and Gillian Gilbert continue their dispute, Hook tours with new band the Light

By: Ben Rayner Pop Music Critic,
Published on Tue Sep 17 2013

The odds of New Order ever kissing and making up again seem pretty slim, as the ferocious war of words between bassist Peter Hook and former bandmates Bernard Sumner, Stephen Morris and Gillian Gilbert shows no sign of abating anytime soon.

Oh well, at least that part of it is entertaining. Meanwhile, fans are left with the unthinkable spectacle of New Order touring since its 2011 “reformation” without the man whose limber bass lines were the signature feature of its sound, and Peter Hook touring and playing guitar in a new band, the Light, that’s performing New Order’s first two albums, 1981’s Movement and 1983’s Power, Corruption & Lies, in their entirety on the road.

Hook and the Light — which also features his 24-year-old son, Jack, on bass and three gents from his old side project, Monaco — have already done a couple of tours performing Unknown Pleasures and Closer, the two classic albums left to us by Joy Division before frontman Ian Curtis committed suicide in 1980. Those jaunts were done, says Hook, to honour his old friend and bandmate’s legacy. This one seems to be at least partly about sticking it to New Order, but also about exhuming a lot of fabulous tunes that never had a chance to be heard from the stage. He’s already looking forward to doing Low-Life and Brotherhood next summer.

The Star rang Hook up last week on a phone that just happened to be wearing an Unknown Pleasures case. He plays the Hoxton on Thursday, Sept. 19.

Q. So are you just gonna run through the entire New Order catalogue now that you’ve got Unknown Pleasures and Closer out of the way?

A. No, I think the idea is to run through the Peter Hook catalogue. It struck me that I was having such fun playing all this stuff that had been ignored for years I may as well carry on going through all the other stuff that I was ignoring for years, as well; I suppose the idea being that you play every track that you’ve ever recorded at least once before you shuffle off this mortal coil and go and join Ian Curtis in the great band in the sky.

Q. There’s a lot of stuff that never got played live at all.

A. You know what, the strangest thing about it all is that every time you bring these songs up and you’ve not played them for 20 years, you’re like: “Oh my god.” Some of them are that great that you wonder why you wouldn’t play them for 20 years. . . . In New Order, before we split, there was always a certain reluctance, shall we say, on Bernard’s part and Stephen’s to revisit the past: not the Joy Division stuff, the old New Order stuff. You do take on board the fact that you’ve moved on, but it did seem rather a shame and the thing is, you ended up doing the same set, more or less, every night. And, I must admit, I’m delighted to see that in 2011 and 2012 they’ve kept up with that remit and changed the set very little from when it was 2006.

Q. It does seem like you’re having fun tearing into these tunes.

A. I suppose the odd thing was that, in New Order before we split up, there was a barrier to you doing it and now that that’s been removed it’s like being given the keys to a toy shop. You’re able to run in and grab them all. It’s fantastic.

Q. Is there any chance of a reconciliation between you guys?

A. We’re still no nearer an agreement, never mind a reconciliation. The fact that they did what they did behind my back without me knowing, without my knowledge or consent, is something that I’m still fighting. I don’t think it’s fair and I’m still looking for a legal remedy to that.

Q. As far as I’m concerned, it’s not New Order without Peter Hook. But surely you’re aware that there are others out there who don’t approve of what you’re doing, either.

A. It’s interesting for me because I’m not pretending to be something I’m not. It would be like me touring and saying I was Joy Division, in my eyes. In my opinion, it would be like me calling myself Joy Division and playing Unknown Pleasures. That’s how much of a travesty they are.

Q. It’s sad to see all fall apart like this.

A. It’s quite a unique happening, which I’m very proud of. I’m sure Rob (Gretton) and Tony Wilson and Martin Hannett would be very proud to see us doing it so publicly. We might as well have booked a boxing ring and sold tickets. This is like a verbal boxing ring, isn’t it?

Q. At least you get to play with your son in the Light.

A. My son learned to play bass much earlier than me, actually. He learned about 13 or 14 years old. And while his taste in music did not stretch to Joy Division or New Order — he’s much more into Queens of the Stone Age and Metallica and it was always him telling me to turn down my bloody racket — he became quite good at playing bass. He had his own group. So what happened was that when I decided to get the group together, he was in college and because I couldn’t get a singer, I then had to step into those rather big shoes and I needed a bass player and he was all too ready to volunteer. Unfortunately, I’ve gotten into very much trouble with his mother — his two mothers, actually — because he gave up college to come with me. I’ve shot myself in the foot. He’s becoming a very tough taskmaster, actually. He’s very, very enthusiastic. I keep having to remind him how old I am with the amount of work that he’s desperately trying to get me to do.

Q. I guess you didn’t get to tour much with New Order, either.

A. I am enjoying it, that’s the thing. In New Order, towards the end I don’t think there was very much enjoyment in it for anybody. I loved touring. Unfortunately, dragging a rather heavy load about became rather tiresome. This is what amuses me now with the new New Order — New Odour, as I call them — their love of touring. It’s like they’ve been kidnapped by aliens.

Q. Again, this all makes me very sad.

A. It’s a very odd situation. Because for me, as a businessman — which I have been and have had to be for a long time — it’s a hell of a way to do business. If you’re gonna come back and bring the group back from the dead, I would have thought that you’d want to make the way as smooth as possible and surround it with good vibes instead of the way that they’ve done it because you stand a very good chance of ostracizing the very people that you’re trying to appeal to because of your behaviour. I find it very strange, actually. But it’s not stranger than I found it when I was in New Order, so there you go.

Q. So the Light is it for the foreseeable future?

A. As long as there is somebody there to listen, I will be bitching away and playing away until the day that the Good Lord decides to shut me up forever.

http://www.thestar.com/entertai...ys_toronto_sept_19.html#
thanks 1 user thanked Midnight Blue for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/09/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Debaser  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2013 13:16:48(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3012 time(s) in 2076 post(s)
He's going to carry on bitching away. Oh good, I was worried there for a moment!
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/09/2013(UTC)
NotAMod  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2013 13:39:08(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Quote:
"It’s quite a unique happening, which I’m very proud of. I’m sure Rob (Gretton) and Tony Wilson and Martin Hannett would be very proud to see us doing it so publicly."

I hope this is sarcasm.
thanks 2 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
Eimi on 17/09/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 18/09/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#4 Posted : 17 September 2013 20:59:48(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Was thanked: 875 time(s) in 688 post(s)
Maybe they have their own personal reasons that make touring more convenient.... for example, family issues? And they are still New Order, IMO. They're not pretending to be anything they're not--- because they are New Order.

Edited by user 18 September 2013 03:43:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Eimi for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/09/2013(UTC), Mike C. on 24/09/2013(UTC)
UpDownTurnAround  
#5 Posted : 17 September 2013 22:09:30(UTC)
UpDownTurnAround

Man

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 132 post(s)
Tragic and embarrassing
thanks 1 user thanked UpDownTurnAround for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/09/2013(UTC)
Andy  
#6 Posted : 19 September 2013 06:57:27(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3073 time(s) in 2144 post(s)
thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/09/2013(UTC), Eimi on 20/09/2013(UTC)
Coops  
#7 Posted : 19 September 2013 23:26:05(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
What year is it?

New Odour isnt even funny. Id have more respect if he just called them Wank Order, or Bunchacunts Order or something. New Odour sounds like someone unfunny trying to be funny and Hookys funny when he wants to be.
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/09/2013(UTC)
Johnny James  
#8 Posted : 19 September 2013 23:33:08(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 954 time(s) in 439 post(s)
He really shouldn't be denigrating the name since he has a very vested interest in it, and continues to exploit it for his own ends.
thanks 2 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Eimi on 20/09/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/09/2013(UTC)
Aracri  
#9 Posted : 20 September 2013 05:31:28(UTC)
Aracri

Man

Was thanked: 403 time(s) in 355 post(s)

I've always saw something familiar between Waters and the Floyds' struggle and this animosity with Hooky and his ex-band mates... I can imagine apologies from both sides in the future.
Peter Who?

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked Aracri for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/09/2013(UTC)
sutty  
#10 Posted : 23 September 2013 05:56:42(UTC)
sutty

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)
UpDownTurnAround wrote:
Tragic and embarrassing

Dead right, pack it in Hooky.

Let Mr 1000 pound/hr sort it out Clown
thanks 1 user thanked sutty for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/09/2013(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio  
#11 Posted : 24 September 2013 14:58:52(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

Was thanked: 346 time(s) in 318 post(s)
They should have finished the band in 1990 indeed Dead
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
thanks 1 user thanked Big Mouth Julio for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/09/2013(UTC)
is it bro  
#12 Posted : 25 September 2013 04:06:57(UTC)
is it bro

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Big Mouth Julio wrote:

really? but then we would never have had Regret, Crystal, Turn and Working Overtime!!!
thanks 1 user thanked is it bro for this useful post.
Andy  
#13 Posted : 25 September 2013 05:16:36(UTC)
Andy

Man

Another interview

Excerpt:

Indy: I'd like to begin by asking about the transition from Joy Division to New Order, and the band going on to work with dance producers like Arthur Baker. Did that feel like a departure for you, or was it, in some way, an extension of what you'd been doing all along?

Peter Hook: Well to be honest with you, it felt like too radical a departure for me. I'd been very happy being the bass player in a rock band, and to be presented with this new kind of music basically done by robots, it seemed a bit threatening to me.
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
Eimi  
#14 Posted : 25 September 2013 06:22:53(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Andy wrote:
Another interview

Excerpt:

Indy: I'd like to begin by asking about the transition from Joy Division to New Order, and the band going on to work with dance producers like Arthur Baker. Did that feel like a departure for you, or was it, in some way, an extension of what you'd been doing all along?

Peter Hook: Well to be honest with you, it felt like too radical a departure for me. I'd been very happy being the bass player in a rock band, and to be presented with this new kind of music basically done by robots, it seemed a bit threatening to me.

Hmmm... interesting quotes....
thanks 1 user thanked Eimi for this useful post.
Coops  
#15 Posted : 25 September 2013 23:08:43(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Quote:

But not so threatening as to put him off performing said tracks with the Light?
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/09/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#16 Posted : 26 September 2013 05:14:28(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Coops wrote:
Quote:

Good point, Coops.
thanks 1 user thanked Eimi for this useful post.
El Jarvo  
#17 Posted : 26 September 2013 06:46:10(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
Coops wrote:
Quote:

Does that comment even make sense?

He was a bass player. People started using technology which could effectively make drummers, bass players and guitarists (let's face it, any musicians) redundant, then of course he probably felt threatened at the time. I'm sure a whole generation of musicians felt threatened.

It didn't stop him performing tracks in New Order which were 'basically done by robots' either, did it?
thanks 1 user thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
Aracri  
#18 Posted : 27 September 2013 05:17:58(UTC)
Aracri

Man

is it bro wrote:
Big Mouth Julio wrote:

really? but then we would never have had Regret, Crystal, Turn and Working Overtime!!!

Julio and his old lamentation, as usual... Sleep

Edited by user 27 September 2013 05:18:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter Who?

UserPostedImage

ROCKET MICK on 27/09/2013(UTC)
Aracri  
#19 Posted : 27 September 2013 05:19:57(UTC)
Aracri

Man

El Jarvo wrote:
Coops wrote:
Quote:

He was a bass player. People started using technology which could effectively make drummers, bass players and guitarists (let's face it, any musicians) redundant, then of course he probably felt threatened at the time. I'm sure a whole generation of musicians felt threatened.

It didn't stop him performing tracks in New Order which were 'basically done by robots' either, did it?

Smile
Peter Who?

UserPostedImage

Big Mouth Julio  
#20 Posted : 27 September 2013 05:44:29(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

Aracri wrote:
is it bro wrote:
Big Mouth Julio wrote:

Julio and his old lamentation, as usual... Sleep

Fortunately, I will have the chance to see Monaco playing New Order next week Hi
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
Nick King  
#21 Posted : 27 September 2013 15:37:16(UTC)
Nick King

Man

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Big Mouth Julio wrote:

"Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013"

Then you'd never have seen them live? Clown

Cool

Edited by user 27 September 2013 15:38:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Nick King for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/10/2013(UTC)
Andy  
#22 Posted : 27 September 2013 17:05:59(UTC)
Andy

Man

El Jarvo wrote:
Coops wrote:
Quote:

I've tried to remain impartial regarding the split but this quote was significant to me for two reasons:

1. When interviewers praise him for New Order's pioneering work in tbe development of electronic music, he proudly acknowledges the bands' achievements.

2. If he had that little input into the bands' direction, that early on, how can he claim that New Order can't exist without him?
NotAMod  
#23 Posted : 27 September 2013 18:30:33(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Andy wrote:
I've tried to remain impartial regarding the split but this quote was significant to me for two reasons:

1. When interviewers praise him for New Order's pioneering work in tbe development of electronic music, he proudly acknowledges the bands' achievements.

2. If he had that little input into the bands' direction, that early on, how can he claim that New Order can't exist without him?

Honestly, I think you're taking the tense in which he's speaking of out of context.

From what I've read I've got to say I think he's being pretty straightforward in this instance. It is possible to acknowledge the pioneering electronic work while admitting you were petrified at the time your contribution to the overall entity would be diminished. Would anyone in their right mind think that Hooky truly resents the "electronic pioneering" reputation? Probably not. You don't even have to look that far into his solo exploits to see he was on board with it because both Revenge and Monaco were chock full of sophisticated programmed dance tracks.

Credit where it's due etc.
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
Andy  
#24 Posted : 27 September 2013 23:21:42(UTC)
Andy

Man

I didn't say he resented, or even took credit for their pioneering work. I just wanted to point out that he's saying he wasn't on board with something that was a crucial aspect to their appeal/mission.

I liked Revenge and loved Monaco but considering how many years down the line that work appeared, "sophisticated" is a bit of a stretch.
Big Mouth Julio  
#25 Posted : 28 September 2013 13:30:44(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

Nick King wrote:
Big Mouth Julio wrote:

"Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013"

Then you'd never have seen them live? Clown

Cool

Joy Division either Eek
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013