logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bill  
#1 Posted : 07 September 2013 13:03:54(UTC)
Bill

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
I quite like them .I find her voice hypnotizing ( shit word, i know)Though i'm getting a bad feeling of it's the kind of music in a few months time estate agents will put on when they get back to their (s)wanky pads and try to appear hip and cool.Hell, i feel like i'm trying to appear hip and cool by even mentioning them but she does have an enrapturing ( that's a slightly better word but still not great) vocal. I went on their website with the intention of listening to the new album (it;s out on Monday) stream. But you have to log in which you can only do via Twitter or Facebook. I don't lower myself to either of those so i cannot listen to the album. They've let themselves down there slightly in my book.But hey.She's a posh girl

Strong

thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/09/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Bill  
#2 Posted : 07 September 2013 13:51:09(UTC)
Bill

Man

Actually, listening back to that song i posted it does sound quite depressing, yes, but i swear if i heard Hannah Reid's voice in Birmingham at 5am after a night out fighting ( not actually fighting as in fisticuffs but yer know) my way through the chavs and downright fucking nutters on Broad Street ( as often we did back in the summer) it would sound like heaven on earth and would restore my faith in the human fucking race ( which i can testify is tested to the limit on a night out in Birmingham)

edit: apart from the lovely Kath. the loveliest and funniest woman EVER of Birmingham. Hi KathHi It's about time Kath was awarded the freedom of the city of BirminghamNod

Edited by user 07 September 2013 13:59:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 08/09/2013(UTC)
Bill  
#3 Posted : 07 September 2013 14:56:47(UTC)
Bill

Man

I think , in summary, Hannah Reid's haunting yet vulnerably optimistic vocals captures the hopelessness and helplesness at looking out at a Birmingham sunrise at 5am yet finding some faith, truth and optimism and peace from that doleful Solihull skyline.They should have called themselves Brummie Grammar
ROCKET MICK on 08/09/2013(UTC)
Debaser  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2013 01:54:48(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3024 time(s) in 2080 post(s)
Factory™ wrote:
But hey.She's a posh girl

Dare i suggest the above is just one reason why they didn't call themselves Brummie Grammar? Nothing personal against Brummies of course.

Speaking of posh people in popular music these days, it does seem to be more and more common. And speaking of, ahem "grammars", take a look at £15k a year Alleyn's school in Dulwich. It has spawned Florence (and the machine), Jack Penate, Felix from The Maccabees, and Jessie Ware.

A friend of mine recently had a rant about British bands, saying that none of them are working class now. He challenged me to list any British working class bands that have done the business post-Oasis. Being Irish I should have said I didn't give a shit about class, but I played along and hit him with some names: Arctic Monkeys, Elbow, Kasabian. And a couple of acts that went to not-so-posh Elliot School: The xx and Hot Chip.

Nonetheless it does seem to be true that posh people are much more likely to give this pop music lark a go these days. Perhaps in these tough economic times they're the only ones who feel secure enough to take the risk, knowing that their parents will bail them out when/if it all goes wrong. There certainly don't seem to be so many bands like the Sex Pistols, Oasis or our beloved JD/NO (was it Paul Morley who said JD succeeded because they had to?) really making it on a rags to riches scale. (riches perhaps being metaphorical in the case of the Pistols, and um JD due to...y'know)

There's an NME article from 2011 on this subject which I think is still relevant. The title tells us it's wrong to hate bands for being posh, but I think that's just a cover. Up the workers! POSH BAND ARTICLE

Edited by user 08 September 2013 01:56:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/09/2013(UTC)
bloodynora  
#5 Posted : 08 September 2013 05:26:41(UTC)
bloodynora

Was thanked: 477 time(s) in 412 post(s)
it makes me sick. i WILL hate them for being posh. in the 80s even sade was a member of red wedge. fucking SADE.

thanks 2 users thanked bloodynora for this useful post.
Debaser on 08/09/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 09/09/2013(UTC)
Bill  
#6 Posted : 08 September 2013 07:42:05(UTC)
Bill

Man

Debaser wrote:

Nonetheless it does seem to be true that posh people are much more likely to give this pop music lark a go these days. Perhaps in these tough economic times they're the only ones who feel secure enough to take the risk, knowing that their parents will bail them out when/if it all goes wrong.

That's an interesting theory, yes.

It doesn't bother me really that London Grammar are posh.

Her voice really is something else.Kind of unusual and that's what grabs your ears at first and then you're hooked.

Edited by user 08 September 2013 07:49:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Debaser  
#7 Posted : 08 September 2013 08:36:55(UTC)
Debaser

Factory™ wrote:
Her voice really is something else.Kind of unusual and that's what grabs your ears at first and then you're hooked.

Someone somewhere (Youtube?) said London Grammar sound like a sort of cross between The xx and Florence. At the risk of being lazy enough to agree with a "cross between" comparison, I can kind of hear that.

Debaser  
#8 Posted : 17 September 2013 11:30:17(UTC)
Debaser

Debut album enters UK charts a little higher than I imagined!
http://thelineofbestfit....f-uk-albums-chart-137120

Interview in yesterday's UK Metro newspaper:
http://metro.co.uk/2013/...th-stage-fright-4016905/

ROCKET MICK on 25/10/2013(UTC)
Bill  
#9 Posted : 17 September 2013 12:32:49(UTC)
Bill

Man

Not heard the album yet.Hope the rest of it is as good as Strong and Wasting My Young Years. This a good live lounge version of Strong.Prefer the live instrumentation on this more than the recorded version.Bass sequencer (?) coming through more vibrantly.

And don't forget, Hannah was fabulous on the track she did with Disclosure on their album

ROCKET MICK on 18/09/2013(UTC)
Debaser  
#10 Posted : 17 September 2013 13:44:55(UTC)
Debaser

Speaking of different versions, this remix has a certain something about it.

ROCKET MICK on 18/09/2013(UTC)