logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
markreed  
#1 Posted : 13 August 2013 09:08:01(UTC)
markreed

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked markreed for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/08/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Debaser  
#2 Posted : 13 August 2013 13:54:14(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3010 time(s) in 2075 post(s)
Think someone beat you to it on the New Order spotting thread...
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/08/2013(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#3 Posted : 14 August 2013 12:09:56(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
A rare opportunity to hear from Hooky.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Pyrtwist on 14/08/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 21/08/2013(UTC)
ZASmusic  
#4 Posted : 19 August 2013 13:47:17(UTC)
ZASmusic

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 134 post(s)
HOOKY'S DAUGHTER SHAVES HIS BACK.

A truly fascinating insight. If anything, Hooky is an amusing racontour. Did I spell that correctly?
thanks 1 user thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/08/2013(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#5 Posted : 21 August 2013 13:10:14(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1013 time(s) in 643 post(s)
http://www2.gibson.com/N...-New-Order-And-Bass.aspx

The Light have toured Unknown Pleasures and Closer: now it’s Movement and Power, Corruption and Lies. Is there something special about those albums to you, or is it just logical to perform the next albums in the catalog?

It’s just chronological. After doing the Joy Division shows, the idea is to go through the New Order catalog. One of my greatest frustrations before New Order broke up in 2006 was their reluctance to change the set much. Or revisit older material. I always felt it was a shame.

So, when I started playing the Joy Division songs with The Light – which was to mark the 30 years since the end of Ian Curtis’s life – I decided to keep going. We never celebrated Joy Division in New Order, oddly. Once New Order broke up and I was outside, I thought: why not? It’s great to play these songs that haven’t been played for 25 years.

What do you now think of New Order’s 1981 debut, Movement?

I think it’s a great album. But an interesting one. It was underplayed vocally. Our producer, Martin Hannett, was very upset by Ian Curtis’s death. And he didn’t like what I’ll call our new “vocal direction.” Basically, he thought all three of us were crap. [Hooks sings lead vocals on two tracks.} He thought we should get another singer in.

Movement is a very Joy Division-style album in music, but the vocals are very tentative, almost reluctant. But, now, with The Light I feel we can do them with more gusto. They’ve got the strength they should have had 30 years ago.

Power Corruption and Lies seemed to cement the then-new New Order sound: is that how you see it?

Musically, Power Corruption and Lies was a great leap. Movement was all “acoustic” instruments, as it were. On Power Corruption and Lies, the sequencers and drum machines came in. But I love Movement, because it was that great stepping stone between Joy Division and New Order. To play Movement live is fantastic. The way the guitar, bass and drums move around each other. Fantastic interplay. It’s hard to play live, but when you get it right, it’s very satisfying.

Did you have to re-learn parts to play these albums live with The Light?

God, yeah. A lot of the time, New Order didn’t really finish songs in the studio… we finished them when we were on the road. There were a lot of changes, some subtle, some major, when we played live. So I had to look at a lot of early New Order videos which was weird. How we got away with some gigs, I really don’t know. It was either a riot or absolutely amazing. We had a weird attitude, very offhand, almost angry with the audience. We sometimes played short sets, very perfunctory, didn’t sound rehearsed… It was a great punk attitude. I do miss that cockiness of youth, I’ll be honest.

How did your bass playing style evolve?

The two people I picked up on were Jean-Jacques Burnell [of The Stranglers] and Paul Simonon [The Clash]. The first bass I really invested in was a Gibson EB-0. I love the sound of Gibson basses, but I needed a double-octave scale for my style of playing. So I had to get a copy of an EB-2 made by [U.K. guitar maker] Chris Eccleshall.

That’s an interesting bespoke instrument. It’s the same, for the width and depth of the neck, as a Gibson guitar. But it’s a straight-through neck, which I don’t think Gibson ever did? Medium-scale basses seemed renowned for losing their tuning, and I couldn’t have that.

I spent a fortune on my first Gibson EB-0, too! Maybe one day, Gibson can build a long-scale through-neck EB semi-acoustic bass. I’d buy it.

Was it always an idea that you played “lead bass” high on melody?

It was Ian Curtis, of anybody, who picked up on the way I play. Hard. Aggressive. When we’d be rehearsing and writing in Joy Division, he’d always say, “Hooky, play it high, play it high!” I don’t whether that was because he considered Bernard’s guitar playing inadequate or whatever… But I still think the music in Joy Division was absolutely fantastic. Three instruments taking a separate role… but when they come together with Ian’s lyrics and vocal melodies on top of that, we couldn’t go wrong. The chemistry in Joy Division was exemplary, and that’s what I love about Movement.

Power, Corruption and Lies was different. “Leave Me Alone” is very like “acoustic” Joy Division, a couple of other tracks, too. But it’s mainly sequencer-led. We cut our teeth with sequencers on “Hurt,” “Everything’s Gone Green” and “Temptation.” But sequencers and drum-machines paired were heavily-featured. “Blue Monday” was recorded as the same time as Power Corruption and Lies, but we always viewed it as a separate piece of music so it wasn’t on the album.

Was the increasing layer of synths behind you in New Order a prompt to play bass like you do?

“Well, I don’t know. It could lead to problems. There are plenty of jokes, such as: drum machines were invented so the singer didn’t have to talk to the drummer. And bass synths were invented so the singer didn’t have to talk to the bass player! More than a grain of truth in that. Some singers are perfectionists and controlling – I guess if they can “program” the whole band, that’s quite liberating… for them.

But Power, Corruption and Lies was still about real band chemistry.

Any advice on a great bass sound?

The hardest thing in the world for bass players is to make the bottom-end sound great, and the top-end sound great. I was lucky. Martin Hannet said to me early on: Hooky, what you need is a huge amp. And as Bernard rightly said, that will suit your huge ego very well.

Martin Hannett built a set-up for me, an Alembic valve/stereo preamp going into a stereo Amtron DC300A. Although it was solid-state, the Amtron gave a really warm bottom-end but also made the higher notes really bite. I’ve never used a compressor. Don’t need to. I hit the bass so hard, my playing is always at the same level. Really loud. I got that set-up just at the end of Joy Division.

And when I started playing 6-string bass, early in New Order, the Alembic and Amtron amps seemed really suited to that. I had two channel settings – one for 4-string, one for 6-string. It worked perfectly.

And I was inspired by Jean-Jacques Burnell to get a Hiwatt amp. It seemed like you could get some great ones and some bad ones. But I got a few good ones with wonderful valve distortion. I still use Hiwatts now.

Do you feel vindicated with the reception The Light are getting? There were a few bad words flying around before between you and the rest of New Order?

A few bad words? Haha! I’m amazed I’ve had the strength of spirit to do this, to be honest. It was only the people really close to me that enabled me to do it. It’s been difficult. But The Light have played some really great, wacky places that Joy Division never got near. And some people – just some people – really, really like it.

Doing New Order songs now has irritated the other members even more, but what do they expect me to do? Roll over and die? It’s odd. The other members of New Order are now playing quite a lot of Joy Division in their set. I guess the fans are at least doing really well out of it.

It’s funny. I’ve just a read a review of Krist Novoselic’s shows in America, where he’s playing some of Nirvana’s Nevermind. At the end, the reviewer just said: I blame Peter Hook for this! But I don’t mind that. I’ll take the accolades for getting people back out there, and playing great songs.

Edited by user 21 August 2013 13:12:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/08/2013(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#6 Posted : 21 August 2013 13:11:47(UTC)
Linus Solanki

http://www.huffingtonpos...o-basics-_b_3776959.html

Legendary bass player Peter Hook has announced today that he is moving the focus of his band Peter Hook and The Light from Joy Division to New Order. Hook is going out on the road next month and will perform the first two New Order albums in their entirety - Movement (1981) and Power, Corruption & Lies (1983).

Hook has spent the past three years touring with The Light, mainly exploring the legacy of Joy Division. Their gigs have been focused on playing the two Joy Division albums, Unknown Pleasures and Closer.

But The Light has always been more than just a tribute band. Hook was an integral member of Joy Division and New Order and there has never before been such an intense focus on performing the music of Joy Division live. People know the records, but very few can claim to have seen the band live - what The Light has done is allow fans to hear these songs performed live again.

I asked Hook why The Light are playing these songs now and why New Order never really played a lot of their early material: "Before 'New Odour' - as I call them - split up they wouldn't play the early stuff. They didn't rate it and wouldn't play it. One thing that playing the early Joy Division stuff has taught me is that people really want to hear all the songs."

He added: "I would like to play every song we have written chronologically before I kick off my shoes and go and join Ian [Curtis] in the great orchestra in the sky."

Hook's bitterness over his split from New Order in 2007 is still clear: "I consider them to be New Order as much as I consider myself to be Joy Division. They are using the name New Order fraudulently because they didn't consult me or get my permission to use it," he said.

The musician believes a loophole in British Company law has allowed the other members of New Order to push him aside in a way that may be technically legal, but is certainly nor moral: "They reformed without asking me, they just did it behind my back. New Order is a limited company, just like Coca Cola. What they did is just like three guys in Coca Cola saying well we know you worked here for 30 years, so here's 50p [for your effort]," Hook says.

"All four of us owned the name, but they invoked a loophole where the voting in a company can be changed when a director is abroad. They used that to get rid of my vote, regardless of how communication has changed since that company law was created," he adds.

Regardless of the obvious rancour with the other band members, Hook's plan to revive the early output of New Order will be welcomed by fans.

"Most of the early New Order material has been ignored for more than 25 years. The idea of playing these two albums in full is to feature the songs as they were written and to celebrate the LP and the art of the record. There is also a perfect musical continuation from Closer [Joy Division] to Movement [New Order]," Hook explained.

Playing an album track by track might not be the best way to play a gig though - what about the crowd-pleasers? Hooky believes that his audience know what they like and enjoy the chronological approach: "Closer is not very upbeat and it required a lot of concentration from the audience, most of whom have been very gracious - we haven't ever been bottled off stage!"

"We always found that we could play some of the other songs as an encore and send everyone home happy. Whilst Movement is very intense, there are some fantastic songs on there; it's more 'uppy' and 'rocky'," Hook points out.

Hook recently published a well-received history of Joy Division titled 'Unknown Pleasures'. Despite the band receiving a great deal of attention over the years this was the first time a band member had documented Joy Division from the inside.

New Order vocalist Bernard Sumner is working on a book documenting the history of the band. Hook is also working on his own book, so I asked how that is progressing.

"Joy Division was only three years and with New Order much more was recorded so I have a lot more material, but unfortunately that means I have so much more choice, I have to look at it all and wonder what am I going to leave out," Hook says.

"I have sworn that I'm going to release the book on the same day as Bernard's. I believe his is scheduled for October next year, so mine's scheduled for October next year!"

I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
ROCKET MICK on 21/08/2013(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#7 Posted : 21 August 2013 13:16:23(UTC)
Linus Solanki

http://53degrees.blogspo...ew-peter-hook-talks.html

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: PETER HOOK TALKS NEW ORDER, DANCE MUSIC & THE HACIENDA
Following last year's sold out Joy Division 'Unknown Pleasures' show, Peter Hook returns to 53 Degrees on October 31st to play New order's first two albums, along with singles from the era like 'Everything's Gone Green' and the groundbreaking 'Blue Monday', in full. With the New Order material showing a marked shift into electronic territory, we caught up with Hooky to talk synths, technology and, of course, the Hacienda.

- I've heard various stories about how you developed your distinctive melodic bass style. One is that the 1st amp you owned only cost a tenner so you started playing at the higher end to hear over Bernard's guitar. Another is that New Order's use of sequenced bass put you into more of a lead player role. How much of an influence would you say electronic music's had on your style of playing?

I'D HAVE TO SAY THAT IT HAS BEEN A MASSIVE INFLUENCE. WHEN PLAYING TO MORE ELECTRONIC SONGS YOU HAVE TO DEVELOP A VERY DIFFERENT STYLE OF PLAYING THAN IF YOU WERE PLAYING A PUNK SONG, IT TOOK SOME GETTING USED TO AT FIRST BUT THEN IT JUST BECAME THE NORM. IT'S ALWAYS GOOD TO HAVE ANOTHER STRING TO YOUR BOW. AT TIMES IT'S HARD TO BELIEVE THAT A SONG LIKE TEMPTATION WAS WRITTEN JUST A COUPLE OF YEARS LATER THAN SAY, IN A LONELY PLACE, BUT I THINK IT SHOWS HOW THE BAND WAS DEVELOPING.

- As electronics now play an increasingly big part in modern music - both in production and distribution - do you feel the musician's role has changed compared to when Joy Division were starting out?

EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED, NOT JUST THE MUSICIAN'S ROLE - THE WAY YOU WRITE SONGS HAS CHANGED, THE WAY YOU RECORD SONGS HAS CHANGED, IT IS A VERY DIFFERENT WORLD NOW TO THE ONE WE LIVED IN AS JOY DIVISION. I THINK IT'S GREAT THOUGH AS THE NEW TECHNOLOGY MEANS THAT EVERYONE IS ABLE TO HAVE A GO. SOME DO IT BETTER THAN OTHERS OF COURSE BUT THE MAIN THING IS THAT ANYONE CAN USE THE NEW TECHNOLOGY AND HAVE A GO!

- You've played on recordings by Hybrid and The Crystal Method, as well has having a major influence on the whole dance scene. Were you interested in electronic music growing up? Or did it come from working in the industry, i.e. Martin Hannett's addition of synths to Joy Division recordings?

IT JUST SORT OF HAPPENED NATURALLY, JOY DIVISION OBVIOUSLY STARTED OUT AS A VERY PUNKY, ROCKY BAND BUT BY THE TIME WE WERE RECORDING CLOSER, BARNEY AND MYSELF WERE BOTH BECOMING A LOT MORE INTERESTED IN ELECTRONICS AND YOU CAN HEAR THIS ON TRACKS LIKE HEART AND SOUL OR ISOLATION. AS WE PROGRESSED INTO NEW ORDER, THAT INTEREST GREW AND SHAPED THE SOUND OF THE BAND. THERE WAS NO CONSCIOUS DECISION TO START MOVING IN THAT DIRECTION, IT JUST HAPPENED NATURALLY.

- A lot of early electronica was made as incidental music for 50s and 60s film before it became a major part of 'pop' music. Were you into any of the sci-fi or horror films that it soundtracked growing up?

I CAN'T SAY THAT I WAS REALLY, NO, MY OWN INTEREST IN ELECTRONICA DEVELOPED MAINLY THROUGH BARNEY'S NEW FOUND LOVE FOR SEQUENCERS AND SYNTHESISERS.

- You spent some time in Jamaica as a kid. Did you pick up on much of the local music whilst you were over there?

I DID SPEND A FEW YEARS IN JAMAICA BUT I WAS VERY YOUNG AND SO DID NOT REALLY PICK UP ON MUCH OF THE CULTURE. I LOOK BACK ON IT FONDLY THOUGH, WHAT A GREAT EXPERIENCE AS A KID.

- When New Order started out, you quickly added Gillian Gilbert to the line-up on keyboards, and the music began to take on more synth elements. What prompted the shift to a more 'dance' orientated sound?

THE SHIFT TOWARDS A MORE ELECTRONIC STYLE WAS HAPPENING ANYWAY TOWARDS THE END OF JOY DIVISION, THERE ARE A LOT MORE KEYBOARDS ON CLOSER FOR EXAMPLE THAN UNKNOWN PLEASURES. WE COULDN'T GET AWAY WITH BARNEY PLAYING BOTH GUITAR AND KEYS SEPARATELY ANYMORE AS THE MUSIC WAS CHANGING SO WE DID HAVE TO INTRODUCE A FULL TIME KEYBOARD PLAYER. GILLIAN WAS STEVE'S GIRLFRIEND OF COURSE AND WAS IN A BAND OF HER OWN SO IT WAS QUITE AN EASY CHOICE. HOWEVER IT WAS STILL MAINLY BARNEY THAT WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE MAJORITY OF THE KEYBOARD LINES, GILLIAN DID NOT REALLY HAVE AS BIG AN INPUT CREATIVELY AS SOME PEOPLE THINK.

- The 80s saw a big boom in electronic music. Whereas it'd previously been made by boffins, belonged primarily to those rich enough to own the equipment, and rarely crossed over into the mainstream, it was now making its way into the charts and being incorporated into rock music. The Hacienda championed dance music and put new pop acts like Madonna on the same stage as more 'music press credible' acts like The Smiths. How big a role do you think the Hacienda played in terms of dance music crossing over into the mainstream...?

I THINK IT PLAYED A HUGE PART IN THAT, YES. IT MADE ELECTRONIC MUSIC A LOT MORE ACCESSIBLE THAN IT HAD PREVIOUSLY BEEN. WE GAVE GIGS TO PEOPLE WHO MAYBE OTHERWISE WOULD NOT HAVE HAD A PLACE TO PLAY AND DO THEIR THING. FOR ME AS WELL THE HACIENDA STARTED THE WHOLE DJ CULTURE THAT IS STILL AROUND TODAY.

- And do you think the fact that the people running the club had largely working class backgrounds, not to mention the industrial history of the building itself, were important factors in this, taking electronic music away from the rich boffins and making it more accessible to a wider audience?

I WOULD AGREE WITH THAT YES. WE WERE NOT BUSINESSMEN (WHICH ULTIMATELY LED TO OUR DOWNFALL..) BUT WE WERE JUST MUSIC ENTHUSIASTS WHO WANTED TO BRING GREAT MUSIC TO THE MASSES.

- With its Peter Saville sleeves and catalgue numbers, do you think Factory was original in focussing as much on style and image, making music more of an all round art product?

I THINK FACTORY RECORDS WAS A TRULY WONDERFUL THING. TONY WILSON HAD A VISION OF HOW HE WANTED FACTORY TO BE AND HE ACHIEVED THAT. NOBODY AT THE TIME WAS DOING ANYTHING LIKE WHAT FACTORY WAS DOING. TONY SAW THE WHOLE THING AS A PACKAGE AND WANTED THE OVERALL PRODUCT TO STAND OUT IN THE MARKETPLACE.

- As a major player in the history of Factory and the Hacienda, were you always an active supporter or did it become frustrating seeing New Order's record sales being used to keep things afloat?

IT WAS AT TIMES FRUSTRATING BUT I WOULD NOT CHANGE ANYTHING FOR THE WORLD!
- What sort of music are you currently listening to, and are you interested in any modern electronica?

I LIKE TO THINK THAT I HAVE A VERY BROAD TASTE IN MUSIC AND I LISTEN TO ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING. IN TERMS OF MODERN ELECTRONICA I AM A BIG FAN OF HYBRID, AS WE MENTIONED EARLIER, WHO I THEN WENT ON TO WORK WITH. I ALSO RECENTLY SAW SOME LIVE CLIPS OF NINE INCH NAILS PERFORMING THEIR NEW MATERIAL AT LOLLAPALOOZA IN THE STATES AND THAT SOUNDED VERY ELECTRONIC WHICH WAS INTERESTING.

ROCKET MICK on 22/08/2013(UTC)
ZASmusic  
#8 Posted : 23 August 2013 07:16:15(UTC)
ZASmusic

WHEN WILL IT END????
ROCKET MICK on 23/08/2013(UTC)
surface  
#9 Posted : 23 August 2013 09:46:43(UTC)
surface

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 138 post(s)
ZASmusic wrote:
WHEN WILL IT END????

Do you hang out in Little Italy? Was in NY the other week and saw someone like you in a pub near Joey Ramone Place?
thanks 1 user thanked surface for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/08/2013(UTC)
ZASmusic  
#10 Posted : 23 August 2013 10:49:00(UTC)
ZASmusic

surface wrote:
ZASmusic wrote:
WHEN WILL IT END????

Do you hang out in Little Italy? Was in NY the other week and saw someone like you in a pub near Joey Ramone Place?

Yes, I walk thru Soho/Little Italy/Chinatown after work almost everyday, and there are several bars and cafes around there that I frequent. Say hello next time!
ROCKET MICK on 24/08/2013(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#11 Posted : 24 August 2013 08:14:27(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
4 of 5 from 1998 are new order, or new order now , and could be bad lieutenant . peter is still acting like roger waters. he looks great . new order has a fine new bass player . maybe peter will write some awesome new songs, and release them on the same day as bernard and co.
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/08/2013(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#12 Posted : 25 August 2013 23:26:47(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I hang out in Big Italy.
EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW - love it, so fucking hard to get a word out of Hooky.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/08/2013(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#13 Posted : 26 August 2013 03:57:04(UTC)
Linus Solanki

http://www.officiallyayu...ive-peter-hook-intv.html

EXCLUSIVE! PETER HOOK INTV!

Many musicians try and find success with one band or one outlet, it is very rare that a musician can find deep success and respect with two bands. For Peter Hook, who played bass in both Joy Division and New Order, he has managed to accomplish that task. After the suicide of Joy Division singer Ian Curtis in 1980, the members of Joy Division didn't stop, they formed New Order and carried on and took the 1980's and most of the 1990's by storm. The bands on-again-off-again hiatus for much of the late 90's and early 00's lead to Hook announcing he and New Order singer Bernard Sumner were no longer working together and left the band. In 2011, around the time Hook was taking his new band, The Light on the road to tour Joy Division's acclaimed final record, Closer, New Order announced they were replacing Hook and would continue touring. While the fallout between Hook and the rest of his former band remains in the headlines, he is looking to still continue playing the music of the bands he was in and still loves. Next month, he and The Light will bring New Order's timeless albums, Movement and Power, Corruption, and Lies to the U.S. following a successful run in Europe earlier this year. We caught up with Hook to talk about the new tour, the feud, and one of his other passions - soccer, sorry, football. Take a look at our interview below:

Now that you have put Joy Division away with The Light, what is it like performing New Order’s earlier work without the band?

Well we haven't really put joy division away per se, we still have a few gigs lined up where we will be performing that material. But yes from September onwards there is a switch to the new order material as that tour officially starts in the States. I've been lucky in that the band have proved themselves to be very capable over the last 3 years so I had no issues when it came to start playing the New Order material as I knew that again they would all do a great job and work hard to ensure that they did the songs justice. I think that this band have a great chemistry which enables them and myself to combine and put a good show together.

How have the shows been in America as opposed to the rest of the world?

Well we have toured America twice now, in 2010 we toured Unknown Pleasures, then in 2011 we mainly toured closer, so to follow that with the Movement and Power, Corruption & Lies seemed like the next logical step in the plan. So this will be our third tour and there is a reason that we are starting the tour in the states because the last two tours have been wonderful, great crowds and so nice to go back. I enjoy playing to American audiences and am delighted to be coming back. Audiences are very different all over the world but Americans crowds have always been very welcoming to us which is nice.

Are American audiences different from those in Europe or South America?

Not too different in my opinion, we have been lucky in that we have had the opportunity to go round the world with this show and we have been well received everywhere. American audiences are very clued up on their music and they know their stuff, so we will be working hard to hopefully give them a great night!

With The Light, your son, Jack, is playing bass, in New Order’s current line-up Tom Chapman is playing your parts. How is it that the music of New Order is being played live around the world and you are not playing your signature bass hooks?

Yes it is certainly a very funny situation isn't it! The good thing about this set though is that I do get to play a lot more bass, the music allows me to play much more than it did for the Joy Division sets that we did, which is nice. I suppose I should be flattered really that my bass lines are getting such airplay at the moment even if it isn't me that's playing the majority of them.

Now that you have been on the road for nearly a year performing “Movement,” and “Power, Corruption, and Lies,” which, in your opinion is the better album and why?

Well actually we have only played this set four times, so it is still very new. We debuted the new set in January of this year with a tiny warm-up show in Cardiff followed by two big sold out shows in London and Manchester. We then switched back to playing the Joy Division set on tour until a couple of weeks ago when we played the new order set again for the first time in 6 months at a wonderful venue in Buxton in the UK called the opera house, as a preview to the full tour which starts properly in September. We'll be touring across the USA & Canada before going down into Mexico & South America, then coming back home for a tour of the UK & Ireland before Christmas. At the start of next year, we really want to get back to Australia & New Zealand as well as playing more shows in Asia. It will be great to finally tour this set as it will get better and better the more we play it.

After this tour, will you be playing some of new order’s other albums live down the line?

Yes, believe it or not we do have a plan! We will tour our Movement and Power, Corruption & Lies set around the world first but once we have done that we do plan to move onto the next two records, Low Life and Brotherhood, towards the end of 2014. I am really looking forward to that already as there are more great tracks which have not seen the light of day for a long time, songs like this time of night, murder, sunrise, way of life... That will be a great live set just like this one.

Last year you released you fantastic book, “Unknown Pleasures: Inside Joy Division,” are you kicking around the idea of releasing an inside story on New Order?

My writing partner Andrew Holmes and myself have actually already started on the new order book, we are aiming to release that in 2014. I really enjoy the writing process. It will be a very different book to the joy division book.

New Order was a band that were so ahead of their time and still today the music from 20-30 years ago sounds as fresh as any new band out there. Did you think you were making such timeless music when it was happening?

I knew that what we were doing was good but I have to be honest and say that I really did not foresee the legacy that the music would leave and how good it would fare in terms of standing the test of time. I'm proud of the material as a whole and even more proud that it still sounds fresh all these years later.

Do you ever sit back and wonder and look at your musical career after being in Joy Division and New Order and say, ‘Wow?’ most artists struggle to make a success with one band, but you did it with two!

I am extremely proud, all of us should be proud of what we achieved together. It's a shame that there are rifts and divisions between us now but I hope that one day we can put all that rubbish aside and at least just sit down and go 'wow, we were good!' - if have no regrets and wouldn't change anything for the world.

Are you and The Light working on original material to play and record?

This is quite a difficult one, I get asked about it a lot. There are ideas kicking around that the lads in the band have recorded which I think is really very good, but it is hard to find the time to get in the studio and work on them all properly. We tour a great deal which doesn't really allow us the time to get together and do it at the moment. However in the future I would definitely like to release new material with these guys. They are all excellent players and I do have the itch again to get some new stuff on the go, absolutely.

With the love/hate situation going on between you and your former band, if Ian Curtis were alive today, what would he say about all of this?

If he were alive today I am sure that he would have banged our heads together by now! It is a shame and I am sick and tired of the fighting but my mother told me to stand up for what I believe in and that is what I am doing in relation to the others.

New Order recorded the theme for England for World Cup 1990, and of course the famous video and hook of the song was a patriotic anthem for the team and their players. With the world cup happening next year, what are England’s odds?

The England team unfortunately suffer a great deal from being over hyped... The pressure that the country puts on them to perform is unbelievable, however it is only natural to want them to do well. The problem with the England team is that at times it is hard to really get behind the cause because we have been so badly let down in the past! We are certainly capable of putting on a good showing at the next world cup if the players apply themselves fully but I would not consider us to be in that top bracket of teams. You look at teams like Spain, Germany, Argentina & Brazil and have to believe that they are the favorites, especially Brazil as they are playing at home.

While we are on the football talk, you are big United supporter. For the first time in 29 years united will be managed by a new man. How do you think they will waver this season?

Yes it is certainly a very interesting time to be a united fan... Not having Alex Ferguson in charge will certainly take some getting used to after him being in charge for so long and being so successful. However I reckon that the board have made a shrewd choice in David Moyes as his successor as he seems to be cut from the same cloth as Fergie. I think the fact that Fergie picked David Moyes himself speaks volumes. All United fans should now be getting behind Moyes & the team to help them carry on that high level of achievement. It is a mammoth task to replace a legend of the game like Ferguson but I have got faith in Moyes! As long as we finish above Manchester City I will be happy, local bragging rights are very important in my town!

Edited by user 26 August 2013 03:58:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 26/08/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#14 Posted : 26 August 2013 17:15:11(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Was thanked: 875 time(s) in 688 post(s)
http://www.jerseybeat.com/peterhook.html

Quote:
While New Order without Peter Hook was touring this summer, Hook was gearing up for a tour of his own. Referring to the Hookless New Order as “New Odor,” Peter has taken it upon himself to go back and play Joy Division and early New Order songs. What started off as a benefit concert has taken on a new life; Hook and his guitar-playing son recreate the albums—track by track—for appreciative audiences.

When asked why New Order couldn’t or wouldn’t play that material, Peter explains, “The rest of the band never to play to play Joy Division songs. Bernard didn’t, because he just didn’t like those songs, and Stephen didn’t, because he didn’t want to rock the boat.” He also explains that “New Odor” is currently out there playing the hits, using all the wrong equipment.

Peter Hook has always had the reputation of being the spikey member of New Order, the one who was difficult, would speak his mind, and always show up late.
Hook looks back and says, “Well, yes, but that is what makes bands great, that type of chemistry. I never looked the rest of the band, did I? I had people tell me that I looked like I should have been in Judas Priest, which I took as a compliment, actually.”
So what’s like now working with his son?

Hook laughs, “He is more into things like Pearl Jam and Queens of the Stone Age, he wasn’t much into Joy Division and New Order, but he wanted to play in the band. The funny thing is, as Peter Hook and the Light do these gigs and play different albums, he is the exact same age as I was when I recorded them. He was 21 when we did Unknown Pleasures, which is how old I was when I recorded it. He was 22 with Power, Corruption and Lies.”

In 2011, Peter Hook And The Light released 1102 2011 EP, four versions of Joy Division songs, including the previously unrecorded “Pictures In My Mind.” With just sketchy demos to go by, how difficult was recreating that song?

“One thing that Ian Curtis always said,” Hook relates, “is that if you start to write a song, you should always finish it, because someone out there will love it. It will be someone’s favorite song. The song was so close to being done as it was. And sure enough, once we finished it, people love it. It just proved Ian right.”

Speaking of Ian Curtis, his hometown of Macclesfield, England recently schedule a celebration in his honor, only to abruptly cancel it. Why?

Peter explains, “Oddly enough, we played the festival in Macclesfield not long ago, called Barnaby Festival, which has been going on for quite a long time. They asked us if we’d play Joy Division stuff in the church in Macclesfield, called Christ’s Church, and—funny enough—Ian used to actually go to that church as a kid, so that made it all the more special. We played Joy Division in Macclesfield for the first time since Joy Division began 37 years ago, and it was absolutely fantastic. New Order played in Macclesfield, one gig, very early on in our career, but Joy Division never played there. But Macclesfield is a small town, it’s very well-known in England because of the silk trade, but they don’t seem to be very proud of their most famous sons in my mind. I think they should do more to take advantage of it, but they are coming around to it, and you do have a few meetings with people who are trying to do it. It’s just very difficult, especially in this economic situation at the moment.”

Now with an entire tour, Peter Hook and the Light will have a chance to really dig into the material.

“I’m looking forward to the tour for the simple reason that we keep doing these one-offs and they never allow you to relax with the material. I have to keep switching guitars all the time and getting used to it. I I think it’s about 25 songs we’re playing on this tour, maybe more than that.”

And how about "Blue Monday?" Will you do the single version or the 12” remix?

“Everything we play is taken from the record. ‘New Odor’ - it’s important we get that distinction - take liberties with the arrangements and with the songs and interpret them different, but we are staying very faithful to the record. We use a lot of elements on Movement that Martin Hannett gave us, and then on the Power, Corruption & Lies, we use the original sounds and the original orders as they were written for the record, which is a bit of a first, because I think we’re playing some tracks that New Order never played live.”

The very first tour that New Order undertook in the U.S. included a date at Maxwell’s on September 20th,1980. Any memories of that gig?

“It was a great gig, I’ve got a tape of it. It was a really, really good gig for us, strangely enough. We had all our own equipment flown over—a great luxury—and I remember driving through the tunnel to get to Hoboken. The road crew had a massive fight on their way there, because the guy who was driving was a terrible driver. He had three crashes on the way to the gig, unbelievably, so by the time they got there with the gear, they were frazzled. Anyway, we set up and we were very frightened because it was our first gig, but there was a great relief to it actually, by being away from England.

“We played in England a few times as a three piece, but the release of being away and that you were able to relax, you felt that you weren’t under the scrutiny you were under in England. So we were quite relaxed, and if you listen to the tape of the gig, it’s great, and it sounds really good. We sound like we’re enjoying ourselves, in fact it sounds like we’re finding ourselves. Bernard, Stephen and I sang three songs each, and that night, when we drove home, we were very, very happy and very cocky, and really looking forward to the rest of the shows in America. And then all of our gear got stolen that night in New York City.

“That meant that the gigs in Hurrah’s were done with all hired equipment, it was a nightmare. So we had that one little show at Maxwell’s which was like an oasis in the desert, shall we say.”
thanks 1 user thanked Eimi for this useful post.
Andy on 27/08/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#15 Posted : 28 August 2013 03:44:06(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5672742/peter-hook-on-the-lights-future-new-order-court-battle

Quote:
They don't use the correct instruments," Hook says of New Order's current lineup -- or as he calls it, "New Odor."

Peter Hook is having a capital time playing classic New Order albums in their entirety with his current band, The Light. But that doesn't mean he's at all softened his feelings about the Hook-less version of New Order -- or, as he refers to it, "New Odor."

"They re-formed the band, shamelessly, in 2011 without telling me, without asking my permission to use the band name," Hook, who left the group circa 2007 and is currently battling former bandmates Bernard Sumner, Stephen Morris and Gillian Gilbert in British courts over use of the New Order name, tells Billboard. "They licensed the name to themselves, which I disagree strong with, and I'm seeking a legal remedy. It's like a divorce settlement... fixed by the wife without consulting the husband, and the husband doesn't think it's fair. They've carried on regardless and have not even informed the fans that it's not the (original) lineup, which I think is a terrible thing to do. I get messages all the time from people that, 'I went to see New Order, and you weren't there.'"

A silver lining of sorts for Hook is that, with The Light, "It's been marvelous to get the songs out again in the way they should be played. I think one of the problems New Order had, especially with Bernard and Stephen, was they were reluctant to visit the old material," he said. "They sort of settled on a setlist and refused to change it. I always felt like that was such a shame because of the wealth of material (New Order) had. And one of the sad things about New Order, or shall we say the incarnation now, is they don't use the correct instruments and it doesn't sound the same. Maybe they wanted to change the songs, but it doesn't sound as good to me."

Hook is using The Light as a vehicle to perform music by both New Order and its predecessor, Joy Division. The group released an EP of four Joy Division songs in 2011, and it's toured playing that group's "Unknown Pleasures" and "Closer" albums in their entirety. Hook kicks off a North American run on Sept. 10 -- which will include a stop at Chicago's Riot Fest five days later -- during which he and The Light will play New Order's "Movement" and "Power, Corruption & Lies" albums. Next year he plans to play "Low-Life" and "Brotherhood" -- plus "all the singles in-between" -- and promises that this will be "very much an ongoing project. I only envisaged taking it up to (1989's) 'Technique,' to be honest with you, but now I think it seems a shame not to fulfill our whole destiny and play all of (1993's) 'Republic' and '(2001's) 'Get Ready' and (2005's) 'Waiting For the Sirens' Call' -- then it'll be time to dig a hole in the ground for me! But there really are so many great songs, and I'm just so delighted to be able to do them again."

But Hook does acknowledge that his dives into the past have sidetracked him from making any new music, though he's worked with producer Phil Murphy in the acid house project Man Ray and says he's "been writing new music all the time... but not what you'd consider to be a proper LP, which I'm very aware of. My wife keeps insisting that it's time to do another LP, but to be honest I'm enjoying playing the old stuff so much that it's hard to commit myself to the idea of six months, nine months to work on an album. And it's hard for me to commit with downloading and the way you don't earn money off records is at the moment. As an older musician, I'm just puzzled at the way the world is now and not sure I want to be part of it in that way."
thanks 1 user thanked Eimi for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/08/2013(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#16 Posted : 28 August 2013 05:27:35(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Republic'll be fun.
New Odour - getting a bit silly innit? I actually like the way they dabble in alt versions live.
Not into new stuff cos no money. Long live the punk ethic.
I like Hooky anyway. The Light always give a belter of a gig.
ROCKET MICK on 28/08/2013(UTC)
Debaser  
#17 Posted : 28 August 2013 12:34:23(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3010 time(s) in 2075 post(s)
leather-girl wrote:
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5672742/peter-hook-on-the-lights-future-new-order-court-battle

Quote:
They've carried on regardless and have not even informed the fans that it's not the (original) lineup, which I think is a terrible thing to do. I get messages all the time from people that, 'I went to see New Order, and you weren't there.'"

From newordernow.net, September 2011:
Quote:
Following the well-documented departure of bass player Peter Hook, in Spring 2007,
New Order are now:
Stephen Morris (drums)
Bernard Sumner (vocals, guitar)
Gillian Gilbert (keyboard, guitar)
Phil Cunningham (guitar, keyboards)
Tom Chapman (bass)

Brixton 2012 gig poster from new order facebook page (was also on newordernow.net at some point).
UserPostedImage

thanks 3 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
NotAMod on 28/08/2013(UTC), Nick King on 28/08/2013(UTC), Eimi on 28/08/2013(UTC)
Nick King  
#18 Posted : 28 August 2013 13:02:31(UTC)
Nick King

Man

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Debaser wrote:
From newordernow.net, September 2011:
Quote:
Following the well-documented departure of bass player Peter Hook, in Spring 2007,
New Order are now:
Stephen Morris (drums)
Bernard Sumner (vocals, guitar)
Gillian Gilbert (keyboard, guitar)
Phil Cunningham (guitar, keyboards)
Tom Chapman (bass)

Brixton 2012 gig poster from new order facebook page (was also on newordernow.net at some point).
UserPostedImage

Quite... Big Grin

Cool
Eimi  
#19 Posted : 28 August 2013 14:58:12(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Those fans must be extremely stupid, if they go to a gig and complain that Hooky's not there, because it's very clear that Hooky's not in the current lineup.
the_blank_from_hell  
#20 Posted : 29 August 2013 02:58:32(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
at the time he's doing "Republic", I will be there. I just want to see it to believe it, Hook singing "Young Offender", "World" and "Liar", staying "faithful" to the original arrangements. Maybe he will do visuals then, screening the "World" video, but with the other three getting cut out, only him staying in there.

Was this written with him in mind?

My imagination wants to see
The vivid colors of reality
There's a place out there beyond my grasp
A revolution in a looking glass

I've got to get this problem off my chest
I'm sick and tired of bein' second best
I rearranged my credibility
A fund raiser for a restless sea

Don't ever doubt me
What's come over you?
Won't you forgive me?
What are you gonna do?

Don't ever doubt me
What's come over you?
Won't you forgive me?
What are you gonna do?
What will you do?

I can't contain what's in my head
I'm losing words that I must have read
Do you remember the time we spent?
It seems that we were the main event

Have you a reason to behave like this?
Maybe you need a psychoanalyst
If you keep pushing me out of the door
For sure, you'll never see me again

No one to talk to
What am I gonna do ?
You're never there
Right when I need you

Give me a cause
Give me a reason
For your applause
I'll commit treason

And in my mind I know I'm right
It's the same thing every night
You're not to blame so don't you cry
You don't need me so hurt my pride

In all that time, I know we tried
Line by line and side by side
And still I pray that we'll get by
But it don't seem real and I don't know why?

You're not to blame so don't you cry
You don't need me so hurt my pride

Why do you cry, you're not to blame?
When will you change this sad refrain?

Sad refrain
Oh, when will you change
This sad refrain
When will you change
This sad refrain
thanks 1 user thanked the_blank_from_hell for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/08/2013(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#21 Posted : 29 August 2013 03:13:00(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

What's come over me? Stupid question, I'm looking at a photo of Mel C.
People don't know Hooky ain't in the line-up? Do these people know Lady Diana's died? The film will be a revelation.
Republic is an album people hate or love. I like it.
Actually - as I mentioned in another thread - The Light playin' Republic isn't as weird as you'd think. Remove Avalanche (as an Other Two track) and exactly half the songs were played on the '93 tour. And though Hook's bass is low is the final mix, that may have more to do with Bernard and Stephen Hague taking over than his initial contribution - I always got the idea it started as a classic NO LP (Steve Morris told Select that Regret, Ev Ev and Special were his favourites and also the first ones they wrote - no accident they're the only ones they did live, except the singles which are kinda obligatory). Plus, Hooky live tends to sing and play bass round it, which is paradoxically the Hague format! Finally, I'm sure musicians of this calibre wouldn't take on a project unless they were determined to do it justice: the original UP project sounded dubious but I've yet to read a bad review! We'll see.
PS Fuck Revenge though.

Edited by user 29 August 2013 03:14:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 29/08/2013(UTC)