logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JG  
#1 Posted : 23 July 2013 22:40:45(UTC)
JG

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 418 time(s) in 289 post(s)
Early one this due to the local curfew. Well, it's a residential area.

Doors 5.30pm & Holy Ghost! 6.30pm.

Well worth getting in early to hear DJs Billy Caldwell & Justin Strauss.

thanks 1 user thanked JG for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/07/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
JG  
#2 Posted : 23 July 2013 22:44:22(UTC)
JG

Was thanked: 418 time(s) in 289 post(s)
Pre show drinks at Iona on Bedford & Grand, take the L train. Join BigInOil, Nick King & myself from 2.30pm, be good to see some NOOLers.

Edited by user 23 July 2013 22:47:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked JG for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/07/2013(UTC)
ZASmusic  
#3 Posted : 24 July 2013 09:01:01(UTC)
ZASmusic

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I'm leaving my office in Chinatown today at 4:30 PM to head to the venue (which is really close to my apartment). So excited!
thanks 1 user thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/07/2013(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#4 Posted : 25 July 2013 08:19:32(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1014 time(s) in 643 post(s)
http://www.nypost.com/p/...r_xXIwawHchGr01v4iezoK5I
Story

The new New Order takes over Brooklyn
Pioneers sizzle at Wiliamsburg Park

You’d think that a band that grew up in the bombed-out debris of postwar England would be used to the grit of ungentrified Brooklyn. But when New Order arrived onstage last night, the construction site that is Williamsburg Park proved ugly enough to make even them recoil.

“Hopefully, the funds from this concert will turn it into a wonderful green space that everyone can enjoy,” singer Bernard Sumner deadpanned early on. But the band’s onslaught of crowd-pleasing electro-classics was so relentless that the unpleasant surroundings were soon forgotten.

New Order frontman Bernard Sumner brings back the band’s classics last night at Williamsburg Park.
Having re-formed in 2011 (initially for charitable purposes), New Order has carried on touring and is giving the world a much-needed reminder that EDM was not invented 18 months ago by David Guetta.

After more than three decades, New Order is not short of hits and they weren’t shy about revisiting them. At times, it was like hearing a “best of” compilation played live with songs like “Crystal,” “Regret” and a particularly vibrant version of “Age of Consent” coming thick and fast in the opening half-hour alone. Most bands can only dream of creating such magic. For New Order, it was merely the first act.

There was, however, one notable omission, and it wasn’t one of their songs. The charismatic presence of bassist Peter Hook is missing from the band due to some well-documented friction between him and Sumner. The two now make contact only through lawyers, which is desperately sad given the years they spent making this wonderful music together.

While new member Tom Chapman filled Hook’s space sonically last night, the figure of Hook standing with his famously low-slung bass was impossible to completely forget.

But when offered the choice, New Order fans would much rather hear the pioneering music performed by three of the original four members,than not hear it at all. The band is also moving forward by adapting the songs to fit this new incarnation. “True Faith,” for example, was delivered with a pounding new house beat, while the glitchy early-album track “586” has been beefed up to sound like a coldblooded dance-floor destroyer. As for “Blue Monday,” well, that sounds exactly the same, and a good thing, too. Why bother tinkering with something that’s already perfect?

New Order has always been a band celebrated for its forward thinking and, after all this time, it was a relief to still see that for all the nostalgia, they still have one eye on the future. There is talk of the band working on new songs for release as EPs during the upcoming months and, while we all know it’ll never be like it was, the thought of what New Order might yet be is becoming more and more exciting.

Edited by user 25 July 2013 08:20:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/07/2013(UTC)
ZASmusic  
#5 Posted : 25 July 2013 09:28:53(UTC)
ZASmusic

The New Order show was AMAZING.

I got to go backstage after.

Had a 30 min geek tech conversation with Steve Morris about Abelton vs. Cubase for live sequencing, the Roland Juno-106 and 36 vs. 64 key synths. Steve also told me that they haven't played Thieves Like Us again because it was in a difficult key for Bernard to sing in and the drums sounded week. Steve also told me that he has been working on a new live version of Vanishing Point "but heaven knows if we will ever actually play it."

Also..very interesting. Steve told me that one of the reasons Bernard doesn't really think the Technique songs work live is because he feels the Technique album sounded "unfinished".

Steve and I also discussed the difficulties of playing a MicroKorg and Korg sampler as opposed to a 64 key synth because the keys are so small and your fingers mash the keys! Same issue. We've also both had issues with Ableton crashing 75 minutes into a set, which is why NO are using Cubase for their live sets.

Got to talk about Ryuichi Sakamoto with Gillian Gilbert. It turns out that she's a huge fan of Sakamoto as well and that his soundtrack work inspired Avalanche. Gillian has got to be one of the NICEST people I have ever met. I met her sister as well (they could be twins!) and met their daughter Tilly, who is very nice

I had a really nice chat with Bernard Sumner about songwriting. Some you may remember that the last time I met Bernard he completely took the piss out of my haircut ("CUT THAT FUCKIN 'AIR!") but this time we actually had a really nice one of one conversation. He actually said to me, "You know I was just messing about with your haircut right? You're an individual and that's part of who you are, it's fucking cool. But stick to making music mate, don't become a barber!". I gave him a copy of my new record and he looked me dead in the eye and told me he would listen to it.

I was actually pretty surprised, but the band all asked me how my music was doing, pretty cool that they are interested. I gave Tom a copy of the album as well...meant to give one to Steve (I am proud of the programming and sequencing on my album) but I didn't have another copy. Drat!

I spoke with Tom for quite a while. He's a lovely guy. He added quite a bit of his own playing onto the New Order tracks at this show, including a really nice solo at the end of True Faith. He's got this little dance moves he does onstage where he sort of looks like he is kicking a football around.

I also spook with Phil at length and he told me some really funny stories about promotion Jetstream back in 2005 and how doing the UK pop shows for HET was one of the most exhausting weeks ever. Pretty funny story. He's a really cool guy, very down to earth and funny.

Totally unexpected bonus: I got to meet and hang out with Nancy Whang from LCD Soundsystem. Had a very nice 10 min conversation about music with her. She's a sweetheart!

Also met Todd Sines, who is a pretty big DJ here in NYC. Turns out we went to the same university and have several mutual friends. Small world.

Had the pleasure of chatting with Johnny Giles before the gig, top man. Got to see fellow New Yorker Linus again. Linus was documenting the festivities I am sure his photos will look great.

Holy Ghost! were really great!

New Order played a storming set, though a bit short. Sound was better than at the Roseland. Set was, to my memory

1.Elegia
2. Crystal
3. Regret
4. Ceremony
5. Isolation
6.Age of Consent
7. Here To Stay
8. Your Silent Face
9. World
10. Bizarre Love Triangle
11. True Faith
12. 586
13. The Perfect Kiss
14. Blue Monday
15. Temptation

Encore

16. Transmission
17. Atmosphere
18. Love Will Tear Us Apart

BTW, my birthday is this week so this show was also my birthday party. Best fucking birthday ever!

Special thanks to Andy Robinson and Rebecca Boulton (sp?) for sorting us all out.

Edited by user 25 July 2013 09:33:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/07/2013(UTC), Low Life on 26/07/2013(UTC), confusion on 26/07/2013(UTC), uberpsycho on 26/07/2013(UTC), JG on 30/07/2013(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#6 Posted : 25 July 2013 11:19:04(UTC)
Linus Solanki

I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 2 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/07/2013(UTC), uberpsycho on 26/07/2013(UTC)
Low Life  
#7 Posted : 26 July 2013 00:08:17(UTC)
Low Life

Man

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Great report ZAS, sounds like a brilliant night all round.

I did like this line:

"Also..very interesting. Steve told me that one of the reasons Bernard doesn't really think the Technique songs work live is because he feels the Technique album sounded "unfinished"."

They obviously didn't spend quite long enough in Ibiza....
thanks 1 user thanked Low Life for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/07/2013(UTC)
Who's Joe?  
#8 Posted : 26 July 2013 03:34:25(UTC)
Who's Joe?

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 125 post(s)
ZAS, absolutely awesome report. So glad your birthday party was capped with what sounds like the perfect backstage/aftershow experience. The following absolutely gutted me --

"Steve also told me that they haven't played Thieves Like Us again because it was in a difficult key for Bernard to sing in and the drums sounded week." While I thought it sounded great on the video from Germany last year, I'll leave it professionals to determine if the drums are weak.

On a personal note, where/how can we hear your tunes? I'm always looking for new music (I spend way too much time in the car for work.)

Cheers!

Joe
thanks 2 users thanked Who's Joe? for this useful post.
Low Life on 26/07/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 26/07/2013(UTC)
Low Life  
#9 Posted : 26 July 2013 03:44:59(UTC)
Low Life

Man

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Who' Go to Quoted Post

On a personal note, where/how can we hear your tunes? I'm always looking for new music (I spend way too much time in the car for work.)

Cheers!

Joe

I also meant to ask this earlier - I viewed ZAS's profile expecting a link to Soundcloud or similar... come on ZAS, don't be shy! Hi
thanks 1 user thanked Low Life for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/07/2013(UTC)
ZASmusic  
#10 Posted : 26 July 2013 12:27:49(UTC)
ZASmusic

Low Life wrote:

Cheers!

Joe

I also meant to ask this earlier - I viewed ZAS's profile expecting a link to Soundcloud or similar... come on ZAS, don't be shy! Hi

Hey guys! I've been a bit shy about posting my music here on NOOL, but since you ask...

This is the 1st single from my new album, it's called Into the Sun. It has some cool remixes too. It's a very personal song, I wrote it about losing my Grandfather to a drunk driver when I was 14.

http://zasmusic.bandcamp.com/album/into-the-sun-single

This is the 2nd single, We're All FUCKED!

http://zasmusic.bandcamp.com/album/were-all-fucked-single

And this is the album proper, it's called DIY. Enjoy!

http://zasmusic.bandcamp.com/album/d-i-y-album

:)
thanks 2 users thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
Who's Joe? on 27/07/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 27/07/2013(UTC)
Debaser  
#11 Posted : 26 July 2013 23:22:21(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3015 time(s) in 2077 post(s)
ZASmusic wrote:
The New Order show was AMAZING.

Steve told me that one of the reasons Bernard doesn't really think the Technique songs work live is because he feels the Technique album sounded "unfinished".

Totally unexpected bonus: I got to meet and hang out with Nancy Whang from LCD Soundsystem. Had a very nice 10 min conversation about music with her. She's a sweetheart!

I've always thought Technique sounded like their most finished album myself.

Well Zach you've certainly been busy hanging out with some interesting people. I managed to see LCD four times during their too-brief existence. Did Nancy say what she's doing now instead of LCD? I have to admit that when bands break up or announce their last ever shows, I tend to take it with a pinch of salt these days. I remember when Orbital said they were done, I thought 'bollox'. And lo and behold, back they came last year with a great album and lots of gigs. I'll give LCD five years...
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/07/2013(UTC)
Who's Joe?  
#12 Posted : 27 July 2013 07:41:34(UTC)
Who's Joe?

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 125 post(s)
ZASmusic wrote:
Low Life wrote:

Cheers!

Joe

Hey guys! I've been a bit shy about posting my music here on NOOL, but since you ask...

This is the 1st single from my new album, it's called Into the Sun. It has some cool remixes too. It's a very personal song, I wrote it about losing my Grandfather to a drunk driver when I was 14.

Just took a quick listen, Really great stuff. I'll pick up a digital copy later and add to the rotation. Into the Sun is a really great song. Best of luck with the project.
thanks 1 user thanked Who's Joe? for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/07/2013(UTC)
ZASmusic  
#13 Posted : 29 July 2013 13:54:17(UTC)
ZASmusic

ZASmusic wrote:
Low Life wrote:

Cheers!

Joe

Just took a quick listen, Really great stuff. I'll pick up a digital copy later and add to the rotation. Into the Sun is a really great song. Best of luck with the project.

Thanks so much for the good words! I am really happy that you like the album. It was a pleasure to meet you in Columbia last night. I am glad that you liked my tune Into the Sun so much. I was really moved by what you said, and I am honored that a song I wrote about the loss of a loved one resonated with you. Thanks a lot. :)
thanks 2 users thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 30/07/2013(UTC), Who's Joe? on 31/07/2013(UTC)
sogatsby  
#14 Posted : 30 July 2013 14:10:54(UTC)
sogatsby

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This was my first NO gig ever! Got there early...and well was treated to the opening act which I didn't much care for. Unlike ZAS though, I didn't get the pleasure of meeting NO, I did however get to find a spot right infront of the speaker. Cheerful Barney that night, the remarks about his foot were classic, though the fun of dad dancing didn't come till about midway through? Again, the angle I was at I missed out on seeing Stephen, did see the nice Tom Chapman dance tho, and coupled with a good view of Gillian! All in all a terrific set, minus the JD prevalent set but eh what can you do eh? Bonus points to Tom for some amazing bass playing and showmanship!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I won't lie, it was the best gig of my life and I know NO aren't as popular as JD these days, but hearing Temptation live really made for a great night out.
thanks 1 user thanked sogatsby for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 31/07/2013(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#15 Posted : 31 July 2013 06:32:06(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Sorry for posting it late but I just wanted to say that I had a great time at the NO concert in Williamsburg Brooklyn, the crowd was amazing and they enjoyed every minute of it, they were dancing and singing to all the songs. The band was amazing from start to finish and the laser lights looked very good at night.It was very nice to meet the band after the show and it was nice hanging out with them, a dream come true. it was very nice meeting Johnny and Zach, cant wait for them to come to NYC again.

Here are some pics from the show.

http://joonbug.com/media...der-williamsburg-001.jpg

http://joonbug.com/media...der-williamsburg-004.jpg

http://joonbug.com/media...der-williamsburg-017.jpg

http://joonbug.com/media...der-williamsburg-022.jpg

Here are some pics of me with the band.

http://joonbug.com/media...der-williamsburg-034.jpg

http://joonbug.com/media...der-williamsburg-038.jpg

http://joonbug.com/media...der-williamsburg-037.jpg

here are some things that I got autographed

http://joonbug.com/media...der-williamsburg-039.jpg
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 31/07/2013(UTC)
Debaser  
#16 Posted : 31 July 2013 12:01:26(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3015 time(s) in 2077 post(s)
Well Linus, your Bestival digipack was most condusive to being autographed. I know you wanted the jewel case version, but I suspect you've just upped the value of that particlar copy by quite a bit (well, personal value). You can buy the Japanese jewel case version here and here, but I can't imagine you would want it now...

Edited by user 31 July 2013 12:04:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/08/2013(UTC)
jgeiger  
#17 Posted : 19 November 2013 20:58:22(UTC)
jgeiger

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Way way late, but I figured I'd share.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked jgeiger for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/11/2013(UTC)
ZASmusic  
#18 Posted : 21 November 2013 11:41:19(UTC)
ZASmusic

Thanks for posting these pics! It was a great show. You can see the back of my head and Johnny Giles's as well in a few of these pics.
thanks 1 user thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/11/2013(UTC)