logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Debaser  
#26 Posted : 29 July 2013 11:56:28(UTC)
Debaser

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3010 time(s) in 2075 post(s)
Factory™ wrote:

Crikey, rather you than me mate.The thought of meeting my idols horrifies me. Who on earth would want to meet them? Ugh. Only a borderline psychopath would want to meet their idols, surely? Still, each to their own. Saw Barney a couple of times in the Hacienda in about 1990 and it was too weird. Stayed well out of his way.

I had the opportunity to meet REM's Peter Buck a couple of years back, and I weaseled out. What could be worse than meeting someone whose music has got you through good times and bad only to discover...they don't like you? Would you be able to listen to their music with the same love again?
Even Hooky admitted he avoided meeting the Who's Ox at Finsbury Park because the guy was his hero. And then he died.
But fair play to Zach for not only meeting the band but hanging out with them and engaging in proper conversations with them. He'll be trading texts with Barney about his leg next.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 30/07/2013(UTC)
ZASmusic  
#27 Posted : 29 July 2013 13:40:39(UTC)
ZASmusic

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Debaser wrote:
Factory™ wrote:

Crikey, rather you than me mate.The thought of meeting my idols horrifies me. Who on earth would want to meet them? Ugh. Only a borderline psychopath would want to meet their idols, surely? Still, each to their own. Saw Barney a couple of times in the Hacienda in about 1990 and it was too weird. Stayed well out of his way.

I had the opportunity to meet REM's Peter Buck a couple of years back, and I weaseled out. What could be worse than meeting someone whose music has got you through good times and bad only to discover...they don't like you? Would you be able to listen to their music with the same love again?
Even Hooky admitted he avoided meeting the Who's Ox at Finsbury Park because the guy was his hero. And then he died.
But fair play to Zach for not only meeting the band but hanging out with them and engaging in proper conversations with them. He'll be trading texts with Barney about his leg next.

I wanted to meet New Order because I am a working musician, and New Order are a big reason that I became a musician. Nothing to do with being a psychopath.

I wasn't sycophantic when I met them, I treated them as human beings and artists, and I treated them with respect. I spent the majority of the past week seeing them play and hanging out and talking with them. No one is more surprised by this than myself. The band and their management are notoriously private, and it was really cool of them to be so friendly and cool with me.

I was happy to be able to spend time with them, and as a musician, it was really great to be able to talk about MUSIC with some musicians I really respect. Beyond that, the band were really open and friendly to me. I cannot say why, but it was nice experience and I am appreciative for it. Steve, Gillian, Phil, Bernard, and Tom are all really intelligent, funny, lovely, down to earth and unpretentious people. Same with their management and crew. I treated them as regular people, they did the same with me.

Plus....being a musician, do you know how awesome it was to play piano with Bernard Sumner and then to be shown ways to come up with cool chord changes? Or to talk about Philip Glass and analogue vs digital gear? It was awesome. Bernard is a really nice guy. He's extremely intelligent and very creative. All of the band are really cool. I didn't do anything crazy to get to hang out with them. I was just myself.

I love music. Not just New Order's music, I love all kinds of music, and I love to make music. Making music, writing songs, being creative, these things makes me happiest in life.

I think it was a case of being able to hang out with 5 other creative people who feel the same way about music as I do.

Edited by user 29 July 2013 13:42:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
JG on 30/07/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/07/2013(UTC)
M1  
#28 Posted : 29 July 2013 14:02:07(UTC)
M1

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 237 post(s)
Debaser wrote:
Factory™ wrote:

Loved reading Zach's piece and it sounds like it has had a totally positive impact. But yeah, apart from grabbing the odd autograph, I get lily-livered at the prospect of meeting my heroes. I once stood watching Groove Armada in a sectioned-off area with Neil Tennant...just me and him. But I just couldn't bring myself to say anything. Grrr...criminally vulgar shyness etc
thanks 1 user thanked M1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 30/07/2013(UTC)
Aracri  
#29 Posted : 01 August 2013 10:37:49(UTC)
Aracri

Man

Was thanked: 403 time(s) in 355 post(s)
I don't see any problem being face to face with idols. That's the dream about 99% of music fans, even with the risk to discover that these guys are a bunch of cunts. But it was different with me. I met New Order in Lima this year and it was amazing. I had a quick chat with Steve in the backstage and he was great, very polite... and kidded with my bad english pronounciation. It was funny, not arrogant. Next day I met Gillian and Bernard in the airport. Sumner was cool and opened a smile when he saw me holding a t-shirt with the cover art of the "Procession" 45rpm. Gillian was loveable and smiley. To me was a great pleasure to meet them. I met Hooky two years ago, in Rio, when he came with The Light to play "Unknown Pleasures". I didn't have time enough to talk with him at that time, there were many people in the backstage, but he also was very polite and cool. We took a photo together and he signed my ticket. Well, now we don't trading texts about legs, but I'm very happy by this experience. So I also admire Zach's piece... brings me good memories. Cool

Edited by user 01 August 2013 10:44:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter Who?

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked Aracri for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/09/2013(UTC)
Cranelane  
#30 Posted : 01 August 2013 13:25:23(UTC)
Cranelane

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)
It's great that they let fans have their photos taken with them and are prepared to sign memorabilia but they actually don't have much of a choice nowadays because if they were impolite it would be bad for public relations, imagine if some fan asked for a photo and was told to get lost by the band, that fan would be on facebook or some other social media outlet immediately screaming about what a bunch of tossers they are...

I have seen some photos put up on facebook by fans taken with Bernard where to me he looks uncomfortable, likewise with Steven.
If there is a good time to meet them then it must be backstage after a gig which is what the 2 guys here have reported on and fair play to them for getting to meet the band but for many fans including myself it's enough to see them perform and just leave it at that.
If I was going to see New Order again I wouldn't mind meeting fellow fans and to exchange stories etc but I would happily leave it at that..
thanks 1 user thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
Canuck21  
#31 Posted : 07 September 2013 18:17:24(UTC)
Canuck21

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Aracri wrote:
Nothing on You Tube... Frown

any torrent?

It is available in torrent and on usenet.

As a matter of fact, I just downloaded the episode and indeed, New Order did a great performance. I too am glad they chose a more rock song/version and therefore avoided the hopping.

Edited by user 07 September 2013 18:26:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Canuck21 for this useful post.
keepitcoming  
#32 Posted : 07 September 2013 22:42:22(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
yes, bernard's dancing makes one cringe , but he makes up for all those moments with something a zillion times more sublime than dancing - great everlasting songs . and traveling to california and within texas to make sure i could simply say thanks to the band for 35 years of happiness is not quite as stratospheric as ZASmusic's informative and absolutely wonderful visit with them , but i am glad for him i am grateful for my brief blissful minutes . and luckily i accomplished exactly the same this year with 3 road trips to thank eric johnson . that leaves just one lonely homeless supergiant named danny kirwan to thank . my heroes were so kind to just remember danny , and perhaps these same heroes from manchester and austin will say a prayer for him that is perhaps more powerful than mine.
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.