logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Linus Solanki  
#1 Posted : 27 June 2013 08:18:26(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1013 time(s) in 643 post(s)
http://www.nme.com/news/new-order/71092

New Order are planning to release an EP before the end of the year.

The band's keyboard player Gillian Gilbert says the five-piece have been writing and will record the tracks in September "once the kids have all gone back to school".

To speed up the writing process, the band – Gilbert, along with Bernard Sumner, her husband Stephen Morris, Phil Cunningham and Tom Chapman – have decided to release the EP rather than wait until they have enough material for a full album

Gilbert said: "We're waiting on Bernard's lyrics. But it's been sunny this week, so he can't possibly write when it's sunny, but we want to do things now. We don't want to be like the old New Order and keep everyone waiting for years, we want to be the new New Order. We've been writing in short bursts, so we'll just work on four songs at a time instead of waiting another two years to finish an album."

New Order, who have a new album 'Live At Bestival 2012' out now, are headlining Transmission 005 at Jodrell Bank on July 7. Johnny Marr also features on the bill, sparking rumours he might join New Order on stage for an Electronic reunion, the duo he formed with Bernard Sumner. Commenting on that, Gilbert said: "It'd be nice, wouldn't it? You never know do you."

"We're all really looking forward to playing there," she added. "We all went to see The Flaming Lips a few years ago when they did played there, so when the chance came up to do it ourselves we jumped at it. The stage is right next to the radio telescope, and while The Flaming Lips were on it moved around. It was quite a sight."

Asked whether New Order would stay together for the foreseeable future, Gilbert said the band had initially only reunited for two gigs in 2011, one in Paris and another in Brussels, before deciding to carry on.

"We did one year, and then another, and now we're writing and planning to release more music next year. It'll come to an end one day, but we don't know when. You can never tell with New Order. Just when you think the band is coming to an end, it takes off again".

I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 2 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
Pyrtwist on 28/06/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 01/07/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Coops  
#2 Posted : 27 June 2013 23:24:07(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Im so loving this new work ethos of banging stuff out as soon as they can. I can live with EP after EP forever if it means it gets out there rather than rotting in some studio vaults somewhere. Like that album Sumner did with Stuart Price. Or the second BL album.
thanks 2 users thanked Coops for this useful post.
Housey on 28/06/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 01/07/2013(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#3 Posted : 28 June 2013 00:16:07(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Banging out stuff asap? Like my father's juice, I find that hard to swallow. But we live in hope.
There's speculation that the Stuart Price / BL sophomore may morph into New Order.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/07/2013(UTC)
Coops  
#4 Posted : 28 June 2013 02:00:51(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Michael Monkhouse wrote:
Like my father's juice, I find that hard to swallow.

Yeah me too.
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#5 Posted : 28 June 2013 02:58:03(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Apologies if this's been posted before http://www.guardian.co.u...ew-order-record-eps-tour (I'll apologise for the possibility of repeating an article but not for the swallow joke).
kinozon  
#6 Posted : 28 June 2013 09:55:54(UTC)
kinozon

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"We're waiting on Bernard's lyrics. But it's been sunny this week, so he can't possibly write when it's sunny" Big Grin
You mean "hey joe", jet stream, and most of the crappy WFTSTC lyrics(except for Turn) was not written during a sunny day? Confused
Idea Hopefully the "new NEW ORDER" will learn how to play their Technique tracks on their next tour... Hmmm, wishful thinking.
thanks 1 user thanked kinozon for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#7 Posted : 28 June 2013 21:41:54(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

The odd thing about Technique is it's the best studio-wise, the least successful live-wise...?
Don't misunderstand my last posts, (a) I don't suck off relatives unless they look like Mel C, (b) I'd be happy as Cameron Diaz' tampax if they put out EP after EP. I just find it a tad dubious given their track record. They may even be BSing to keep sounding active and relevant. The Other Two went on for years about EPs and even a 3rd album, all that actually came was Swing.
Mike C.  
#8 Posted : 29 June 2013 04:17:42(UTC)
Mike C.

Man

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 129 post(s)
I think that this current line up seems to like one another a lot, meaning that they want to interact. Its obvious that Barney and Hook did not get along well near the end, and just one bad relationship in a group of 4 or 5 people can spoil everything.

No judgment. Just glad there is news. CURE fans have it a lot harder than NO fans right now, sadly.
...in a single breath, this world is gone...
thanks 1 user thanked Mike C. for this useful post.
0_o  
#9 Posted : 29 June 2013 09:48:08(UTC)
0_o

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Well, going by what Gillian says, it doesn't really sound like they have already worked on recordings. Which makes one wonder what the past implications of working with Stuart Price or Chemical Bros. actually ever meant. Just possibilities that never really happened?
thanks 1 user thanked 0_o for this useful post.
Cranelane  
#10 Posted : 29 June 2013 12:00:19(UTC)
Cranelane

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)
Mike C. wrote:
CURE fans have it a lot harder than NO fans right now, sadly.

Why so? Has the price of hair spray hit the roof?Eek

Actually, maybe the reality is that for these two bands touring the world is how they make their money nowadays and getting off the road and spending 2-3 years working on a new album just doesn't make sense,financially or otherwise...

There is also the probability that any new music they release will be at best given a lukewarm response and compared unfavourably with their best work.

When not touring maybe they are just not that keen on being in each others company for months on end trying to recapture what it was that made them special in the first place, in the case of New Order I still hold out some hope that the EP plan will come to pass but I suspect that their main band activities between now and when they do finally call it a day will be playing live..
(and in Bernard's case writing his memoirs...Read )
thanks 1 user thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
Volturno  
#11 Posted : 29 June 2013 12:14:33(UTC)
Volturno

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 87 post(s)
"we want to be the new New Order." That sums it up perfectly, and it's precisely why -no matter how much he trash talked- Hooky is right about it. I understand their end-of-carrer tour, but I don't get this new album thing.
It's not like most people on the gigs even know about Lost Sirens, which is 50% good at least. Why bother making Bad Lieutenant 2.0?
thanks 1 user thanked Volturno for this useful post.
Debaser  
#12 Posted : 30 June 2013 03:45:51(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3010 time(s) in 2075 post(s)
0_o wrote:
Well, going by what Gillian says, it doesn't really sound like they have already worked on recordings. Which makes one wonder what the past implications of working with Stuart Price or Chemical Bros. actually ever meant.

Good point. I suppose it's possible that the Chems worked on production of music that didn't yet have vocals...

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#13 Posted : 02 July 2013 06:42:33(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Volturno wrote:
"we want to be the new New Order." That sums it up perfectly, and it's precisely why -no matter how much he trash talked- Hooky is right about it. I understand their end-of-carrer tour, but I don't get this new album thing.
It's not like most people on the gigs even know about Lost Sirens, which is 50% good at least. Why bother making Bad Lieutenant 2.0?

Well, yeah. Sorry that my contributions, like my dad's tackle, are dribbling out in little spurts - but I wonder if this is just publicity so they'll sound productive and not just yet another has-been live outfit retreading ancient history? I can only speculate, but as last year's Mojo article pointed out, one of the things that sets this tour apart from all the other oldies is the possibility of new stuff. I hope I'm wrong, I'd happily settle for one EP a year over half-assed half-baked half-promises of LPs (Stu Price, BL2, O23, even Lost Sirens 06 - 12). I just can't imagine 'em beavering away like - well, like beavers. We'll see.
PS I like BL. I don't like O2. I also like beer.
ROCKET MICK on 03/07/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#14 Posted : 03 July 2013 03:49:21(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Was thanked: 875 time(s) in 688 post(s)
Volturno wrote:

If they want to make new music, then they should. Whether the songs are good are another question, but I have nothing against the members being creative and trying to make new music. New Order are New Order--- not BL 2.0.
thanks 1 user thanked Eimi for this useful post.
Eimi  
#15 Posted : 03 July 2013 03:56:45(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

kinozon wrote:
"We're waiting on Bernard's lyrics. But it's been sunny this week, so he can't possibly write when it's sunny" Big Grin
You mean "hey joe", jet stream, and most of the crappy WFTSTC lyrics(except for Turn) was not written during a sunny day? Confused
Idea Hopefully the "new NEW ORDER" will learn how to play their Technique tracks on their next tour... Hmmm, wishful thinking.

Bernard's lyrics have never really been masterpieces, and his 'interesting' lyrics didn't start in the 2000s...why are people acting like his 'interesting' lyrics are only from 2000 and beyond? And maybe the Technique tracks are difficult to do live, maybe because of instruments or Bernard's singing....
NotAMod  
#16 Posted : 03 July 2013 06:16:47(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Volturno wrote:

Hooky is right about what? About them wanting to be New Order? It's no secret, they've been headlining numerous gigs and festivals since 2011. It's not exactly a secret.

Volturno wrote:
Why bother making Bad Lieutenant 2.0?

The line-up of Bad Lieutenant who wrote most of Never Cry Another Tear was Sumner, Cunningham and Evans. The "new" New Order will be writing as a core of Sumner, Morris and Gilbert plus they've indicated they'd like to give the guitars a bit of a rest and move towards a more electronic sound. So tell us, again, how exactly it will be Bad Lieutenant 2.0? At any rate, expressing a desire to create new music should be commended. Just because they don't want to tour nothing but legacy material doesn't mean they won't be able to write a couple of strong new tracks. The EP approach is a great idea too as it consolidates quality rather than forcing them to come up with 10+ ideas for an LP.
thanks 2 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/07/2013(UTC), Eimi on 03/07/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#17 Posted : 03 July 2013 18:22:13(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

If someone doesn't want to accept this incarnation of New Order, they have the choice to not buy their music when/if it comes out, to not go to gigs etc.
If the songs that are released are mediocre or bad, of course there should and would be criticism in that situation.
But I don't understand the anger, frustration, cynicism, and complaining when they express a desire to make new music (and possibly are in the process of doing that).

I'm willing to trust the band to make music at their own pace and be creative at their own pace.

Edited by user 03 July 2013 18:24:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 04/07/2013(UTC)
No Barcode  
#18 Posted : 03 July 2013 20:22:09(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Looking forward to a 4-track EP, hopefully on the level of "Sugarcane". I should have told Bernard when I saw him that it was the best track since Here to Stay. Obtuse kinda, but it felt right.
thanks 1 user thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#19 Posted : 04 July 2013 00:28:40(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

No Barcode wrote:
Looking forward to a 4-track EP, hopefully on the level of "Sugarcane". I should have told Bernard when I saw him that it was the best track since Here to Stay. Obtuse kinda, but it felt right.

Is this a joke? Sugarcane is cheesier than a vicar's penis during Grange Hill. Gimme 'I'll Stay With You' any day.
Debaser  
#20 Posted : 04 July 2013 13:25:43(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3010 time(s) in 2075 post(s)
Michael Monkhouse wrote:
No Barcode wrote:

Is this a joke? Sugarcane is cheesier than a vicar's penis during Grange Hill. Gimme 'I'll Stay With You' any day.

If we're talking since Here To Stay then the title track of WFTSC would surely trump Sugarcane (which is shit) and the more bearable I'll Stay with You.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/07/2013(UTC)
NotAMod  
#21 Posted : 04 July 2013 13:42:50(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Oh and getting weird, Mike.

Very weird.
thanks 2 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
Eimi on 04/07/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 15/07/2013(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#22 Posted : 04 July 2013 23:47:10(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

When you drink the person opposite becomes more and more fuckable till I can't help myself. That's why I stopped going to the pub with my dad.
I'll Stay With You: Yes
Sugarcane: Trite
Recoil: Not bad
CG: Nice music, shame about (most of) the lyrics
Hellbent: Not on Total cos it was so obviously a gimmick, works well here though
Shake It Up: File under Sugarcane.
I've Got A Feeling: Yes again
ITYS (CW): Shite original, great mix. Only prob is it's clearly a mix rather than something they actually recorded together.
Michael Monkhouse  
#23 Posted : 08 July 2013 02:14:07(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I keep dicking about on this thread repeating myself and half-speculating then repeating that too. So I'm gonna sum up my thought(s) and then forever hold my piece (nowt wrong with masturbation).
I'm sure most/all of us would champion regular, focussed EPs over what we normaly get i.e. rererereleases, sporadic and hit 'n' miss albums, vague talk triggering endless speculation round here but no actual result (Stu Price 1, BL 2, O2 3, even - it seemed for years - the Lost Sirens). I just can't see 'em knocking stuff out like that, or London indulging their every whim like Factory. The Other Two went on for ages about a similar approach, all that actually emerged was ONE song, albeit in two forms. Even now they're being comfortably vague - 'should', 'hope', 'you never know' etc - I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was just salesperson talk to lambast criticisms of being dinosaurs revisting the past. I hope I'm wrong, but there've been so many false alarms I'll believe it when I see it.
PS Cock.

Edited by user 08 July 2013 02:15:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jailbait Spider  
#24 Posted : 09 July 2013 07:37:51(UTC)
Jailbait Spider

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 52 post(s)
If Barney is able to write lyrics that don't contain the expressions "hey you", "what's the matter" and "what you doin'" I'll be very pleased.
"It depends on the age of consent" - Pervert Sumner
thanks 1 user thanked Jailbait Spider for this useful post.
Aracri  
#25 Posted : 09 July 2013 10:34:06(UTC)
Aracri

Man

Was thanked: 403 time(s) in 355 post(s)
Jailbait Spider wrote:
If Barney is able to write lyrics that don't contain the expressions "hey you", "what's the matter" and "what you doin'" I'll be very pleased.

But it would be so cool if he write some stuff like "It's an occupation I don't like, but it pays the rent and turns on the light" again... But without the dancehall beat, of course. Cool

Edited by user 09 July 2013 10:36:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter Who?

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked Aracri for this useful post.