logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
uberpsycho  
#1 Posted : 09 June 2013 14:09:05(UTC)
uberpsycho

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Just out of curiosity, I'm interested in hearing what some of your favorite albums are. Not albums that other people have decreed "the best", not albums necessarily from your favorite artists, but your personal best that have either inspired, touched, etc. you. They don't have be a technical best either. Just albums that you think kick ass.

Here are mine. They are all regular albums but feel free to list compilations, EP's, and the like. Try to list them, preferably, from most liked/appreciated. If you can't it's no problem.

1. Script of the Bridge - The Chameleons (Their dreamiest, and most powerful album. Captivating in its cinematic design)

2. In the Flat Field - Bauhaus (This album literally SCARED me when I first heard it. Everything was that good and invigorating.)

3. Feeding the Flame - Sad Lovers and Giants (SLAG at their most mysterious. The song 'In Flux' is probably the best album closer I can think of)

4.Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da - Rammstein (The culmination of Rammstein's power and imagery. Number four even though the song 'Pussy', while fun, does not really fit)

5. Empty Glass - Pete Townshend (I was tempted to include a number of Who albums but Empty Glass is a musical and spiritual wonder)

6. Rubber Soul - The Beatles (The Beatles best album, IMO, bridging their early rock & roll leanings to their later diverse and experimental material)

7. All Things Must Pass - George Harrison (Listened to the whole triple album in one go, and almost every song moved me)

8. Starfish - The Church (An album so good you'd believe they copied it. None of their other albums came close to matching this one)

9. Kilimanjaro - The Teardrop Explodes (A socio-political infiltration under the guise of fun, and whimsical funk rock, from a band that should've had a better follow-up album.)

10. Marquee Moon - Television (Simply epic, I almost included the album just for the title song, but every track is a marvel all its own)

I omitted a number of great albums because the album alone could not possibly represent the best of the artist's oeuvre.

Near misses (in no particular order): Entertainment - Gang of Four, Reise, Reise - Rammstein, Technique - New Order, She Wants Revenge - She Wants Revenge, First and Last and Always - Sisters of Mercy, Author, Author - Scars, The Who Sell Out - The Who.

Edited by user 15 July 2013 04:00:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Join our World and play our game...
thanks 2 users thanked uberpsycho for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/06/2013(UTC), 79order on 21/02/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Bill  
#2 Posted : 11 June 2013 07:47:12(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
I guess i'd list my top 10 albums as the ones i've played the most ( er, obviously ) but some i don't necessarily ever listen to now as i prefer to hear new stuff most of the time.Fairly predictable list i'm afraid.Off the top of me head..

House Of Love - Fontana/Butterfly (1990) Probably played this more than any other album ever. Chadwick's lyrics and vocals coupled with Bickers' guitar work always cut straight to my heart.

Future Sound Of London - Dead Cities (1996) FSOL were always further out sonically and creatively for me than any other Dance/Electronica in the 90s

Cocteau Twins - Heaven Or Las Vegas (1990) Can't beat Guthrie's guitar and the great tunes. Mesmerising and ecstatic.

Flaming Lips- Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (2003?) Just fond memories of summer 2003 and that album.Packed with great songs.

Lemon Jelly - Lost Horizons (2002) Just hilariously funny and irreverent if nothing else.Although also brilliantly strange ( see first track Elements)

Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree (2008) Just brilliant.The whole album just flows with massive songs.

Kraftwerk - Computer World ( 1981) Didn't actually hear this album til 1984 but yeah, great sounds.A classic.

Aphex Twin - Ambient Works 85 -92 (1993) This sounded so fresh in 1993, still does. Probably the only album by Richard D James i can listen to in full. Cracking tunes, lush and relaxing.

The Smiths - Queen Is Dead (1986) Have to admit, it was a great album.Played the vinyl a LOT in summer 86

Jesus & Mary Chain - Psychocandy (1985) The feedback and the tunes were sweet as honey.Or Just Like Honey.

if we're allowed near misses then Colourbox - Colourbox (1985) Just for the song Arena if nothing else. Underworld -Dubnobasswithmyheadman ( mid 90s?) Primal Scream - Screamadelica (1991) Massive Attack - Blue Lines (1991) Echo & The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain (1984)

No New Order but though they were always my favourite band that was because of the music in general, the personalities, the piss taking humour and the couldn't give a fuck attitude and the live gigs more than any one particular album .

A bit guilty of not listing any album pre 80s. Have to hold my hands up and say i've never investigated an awful lot of stuff from the 60s or 70s bar a small peppering of listening to Velvet Underground, The Beatles, The Doors, Pink Floyd (though i did go through a phase of listening to Dark Side Of The Moon a lot once) and maybe The Beach Boys.

Edited by user 11 June 2013 09:40:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/06/2013(UTC)
uberpsycho  
#3 Posted : 16 June 2013 15:13:01(UTC)
uberpsycho

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Factory™ wrote:
Pink Floyd (though i did go through a phase of listening to Dark Side Of The Moon a lot once) and maybe The Beach Boys.

Right, totally forgot about Dark Side of the Moon. That's a pretty stellar album! I might have to amend my list. Confused
Join our World and play our game...
thanks 1 user thanked uberpsycho for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/12/2013(UTC)
M1  
#4 Posted : 16 June 2013 16:57:21(UTC)
M1

Was thanked: 296 time(s) in 238 post(s)
uberpsycho wrote:

8. Starfish - The Church (An album so good you'd believe they copied it. None of their other albums came close to matching this one)

I like a good list and the debate that ensues. But man, go back and listen to Heyday through to Priest = Aura...I like most of the stuff they've done beyond that too, but that period was a pretty good run I reckon. Steve Kilbey's latest album is really great too.
thanks 1 user thanked M1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/12/2013(UTC)
World Domination: Complete  
#5 Posted : 16 February 2014 00:07:37(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
John Otway's greatest HIT
Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/02/2014(UTC)
Bill  
#6 Posted : 16 February 2014 12:05:30(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
Boing Boing wrote:
John Otway's greatest HIT

Did you see him at Leamington Assembly the other week, Mike?

Going to The Orb there 27th March and maybe System 7 with Steve Hillage on 10th March

Edited by user 16 February 2014 12:07:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Bill for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/02/2014(UTC), 79order on 21/02/2014(UTC)
User is suspended until 01/06/4753 02:38:22(UTC) Making Out  
#7 Posted : 17 February 2014 00:11:02(UTC)
Making Out

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 31 post(s)
- Inner City - Paradise
- Screamadelica
- Royksopp - Melody AM
- Orbital - Green
- Mondays - Pills
- 808 State - Ex/El
- Acid House Anthems
- Now Dance 94
- Stone Roses debut
- Righeira - The Best

Edited by user 17 February 2014 02:47:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Making Out for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/02/2014(UTC)