logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Linus Solanki  
#26 Posted : 22 July 2013 04:46:40(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1014 time(s) in 643 post(s)
http://www.accessatlanta...turns-atlanta-after-two/

By Melissa Ruggieri

In the 24 years since New Order last played Atlanta – at Six Flags Over Georgia, believe it or not – their style of electronic dance-rock has shifted from cool British New Wave movement to universally popular genre.

While the group that emerged from the ashes of Joy Division paid homage to artists such as Kraftwerk and Giorgio Moroder, New Order has since influenced acts from The Pet Shop Boys to The Killers to Calvin Harris.

Throughout their two-hour show Sunday night at a rain-soaked Chastain Park Amphitheatre, you could hear many techniques – the twin synthesizers, the choppy drum sequences, the live drumming meshed with dueling guitars – prevalent not only in current club hits, but standard Top 40 fodder as well.

Considering the studio wizardry that accompanies their songs, the band – original members Bernard Sumner (vocals, guitar), Stephen Morris (drums) and Gilligan Gilbert (synthesizers), plus 12-year vet Phil Cunningham (guitar, synthesizers) and Tom Chapman (bassist since 2011, when the band said goodbye to Peter Hook) – expertly replicated the layered sounds of their musical inventory.

Though the bass and bass drum were a bit heavy in the mix for the first few songs, including their most melodic creation, “Regret,” the crowd of a few thousand couldn’t care less and remained happily in motion. (This was a non-table setup show and the pit was cleared to serve as a dance floor…the rain also stopped moments before New Order took the stage.)

Sumner often sounded muddled whether he was singing or talking, and it’s no revelation that he’s never possessed the most expressive voice. But vocals are hardly the reason anyone listens to New Order or bands of their electronic ilk. It’s all about the beat, man, and if that was what you came to hear, you had to feel satisfied.

New Order commendably dressed up their show with a plethora of cool multimedia that included frenetic club lighting and a video screen that showed random images of pill bottles, surfers and shapeless blobs of color (the Joy Division encore also included some quick black and white images of Ian Curtis).

And since the band was usually busy unfurling pieces of songs – Morris stayed particularly engaged during “Ceremony” – the only other visual fun came from watching Sumner and Cunningham pump their right arms in unison against their guitar strings during “Crystal” and seeing Sumner unhook from his guitar to walk the stage a bit for “World.”

Sunday’s show was only the second of an eight-date tour, but since New Order has been on the road sporadically since last fall, their presentation by this point is technically flawless.

There isn’t a lot of warmth to their songs, but there is still something stirring about the stuttering synth notes of “Bizarre Love Triangle,” the funky bass groove of “5 8 6” and the electrifying lights that pulsed through “True Faith.” Even “Blue Monday,” powered by drum machines and an intentionally flat vocal, latched onto your brain after hearing it live.

While New Order presented fans with an abundance of favorites, the band also didn’t neglect its roots. They first unveiled Joy Division’s “Isolation” – which was filled with lights criss-crossing the stage like lasers – during the main set and then leaned heavily on that catalog for an encore that included the slow-burning “Atmosphere.”

It might have been more than two decades since New Order last performed in Atlanta, but on Sunday the band demonstrated just how relevant their synth-glazed songs have remained.

I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 2 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/07/2013(UTC), Mike C. on 22/07/2013(UTC)
50poundnote  
#27 Posted : 22 July 2013 05:10:48(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 934 time(s) in 517 post(s)
From my friend Mike's Instagram feed:

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/07/2013(UTC), Mike C. on 22/07/2013(UTC), 79order on 23/07/2013(UTC)
Mike C.  
#28 Posted : 22 July 2013 18:36:59(UTC)
Mike C.

Man

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Ok, I was at this one... What is "KW1"?

Show was fantastic!
...in a single breath, this world is gone...
thanks 1 user thanked Mike C. for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/07/2013(UTC)
Mike C.  
#29 Posted : 22 July 2013 18:41:15(UTC)
Mike C.

Man

KW1 = your silent face

Behold, the power of Google.
Linus Solanki  
#30 Posted : 23 July 2013 03:24:43(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1014 time(s) in 643 post(s)
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
Who's Joe?  
#31 Posted : 23 July 2013 15:05:39(UTC)
Who's Joe?

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 125 post(s)
was Bernard talkative or more business-like in ATL? Heard he was fairly quiet for the last half of the Austin show. I always love when he gets talking....
thanks 1 user thanked Who's Joe? for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/07/2013(UTC)
Mike C.  
#32 Posted : 23 July 2013 17:04:54(UTC)
Mike C.

Man

not a chatterbox, and not all business. it was HUMID and I think that if not for the weather he would have talked more. A mix of both.

I think before Close Range was when he told a joke. He said he wrote the next song about a friend of his who was an addict. And one night he found his friend... "pissing on my leg..."

Or something like that. I always find it hard to hear exactly what they're saying at concerts.

Anyone else on here hear that.?.

Gillian is so reserved its a little awkward. We broke her down though. By the end of the night we actually had her smiling and making eye contact with us.

Edited by user 23 July 2013 17:05:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

JG  
#33 Posted : 23 July 2013 22:31:21(UTC)
JG

Was thanked: 418 time(s) in 289 post(s)
Yes, that's what I heard Mike. They were in a club & his mate started pissing down his leg....
thanks 1 user thanked JG for this useful post.
Eric  
#34 Posted : 23 July 2013 22:45:48(UTC)
Eric

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Saw them in Oct and he was very chatty and joking but it was hard to make out everything he was saying. In Austin he started out very talkative - saying that they always got into trouble there and they were scared to come back but they were older and wiser now. He also joked around between the 1st few songs but didn't say much at all the rest of the show. (Not even the annoying "c'mon!" he does during LWTUA.) I read after a gig he had to ice his knee and he did fall on stage at Coachella. From the front row in Austin it looked like he might have been in pain. He wasn't dancing and just kinda walked the stage during the dance #s. His mobility looked restricted.

Not sure about ATL but in TX they open w/ "howdy, y'all" which sounded very funny. In Dallas Bernard did LWTUA in a cowboy hat and sunglasses and in Austin he was wearing a silly western shirt at the beginning which Gillian put on for the encore.

thanks 1 user thanked Eric for this useful post.
JG  
#35 Posted : 23 July 2013 22:51:22(UTC)
JG

Was thanked: 418 time(s) in 289 post(s)
Those cowboy shirts & Tom's hat were a gift presented to them just before the show - a real spontaneous decision to wear them.
thanks 1 user thanked JG for this useful post.
Housey  
#36 Posted : 24 July 2013 03:01:58(UTC)
Housey

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Gillian was tweeting about somebody in the front row yawning during the set. I wonder if that put Bernard off a bit. (The yawning, not the tweet.)

Edited by user 24 July 2013 03:02:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Housey for this useful post.
Who's Joe?  
#37 Posted : 24 July 2013 03:33:55(UTC)
Who's Joe?

good to hear. I enjoy when he talks a bit more with the crowd. He talked a good bit in Oakland in both 05 and 12. I think he brings something to the show -- a bit of game guessing what he says sometimes, but always fun and sometimes outlandishly funny....

jasonk848  
#38 Posted : 25 July 2013 11:38:51(UTC)
jasonk848

Man

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 90 post(s)
He wasn't very talkative but at one point he did mention hurting his knee the night before (it was actually right after he got up and jumped off the drum section of the stage). He didn't do any dancing the rest of the night.

I can't believe the rain stopped 5 minutes before the show.

I never liked Bernard singing Atmosphere but hearing that song live kind of just made me freeze.

Holy Ghost was great, and that DJ was awesome.

I think Here To Stay might have been my favorite performance of the night.
thanks 1 user thanked jasonk848 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/07/2013(UTC)
Mike C.  
#39 Posted : 25 July 2013 13:28:07(UTC)
Mike C.

Man

Agree on Atmosphere. The music was perfect. My wife and I thought that doing JD as an encore was kind of a buzz kill, and ended the concert on a downer. I would have rather they did that 1/2 was through.

Isolation was the worst part for me. 'Do do do do do' WTF????!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!!? They should drop this and do Transmission.

World was the biggest surprise -- sounded fantastic.

Close Range was the only NO one I would tell them to drop and pick up another NO track. Something from Movement...?
ROCKET MICK on 26/07/2013(UTC)
Who's Joe?  
#40 Posted : 25 July 2013 15:40:36(UTC)
Who's Joe?

I too loved Here to Stay last year and am glad it has been brought back. It's a stormer live and something nice for people not up on recent output.

jasonk848 wrote:
He wasn't very talkative but at one point he did mention hurting his knee the night before (it was actually right after he got up and jumped off the drum section of the stage). He didn't do any dancing the rest of the night.

I can't believe the rain stopped 5 minutes before the show.

I never liked Bernard singing Atmosphere but hearing that song live kind of just made me freeze.

Holy Ghost was great, and that DJ was awesome.

I think Here To Stay might have been my favorite performance of the night.

ROCKET MICK on 26/07/2013(UTC)
stomp7  
#41 Posted : 25 August 2013 15:52:17(UTC)
stomp7

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
My fantasy set would have included Sunrise, Everything's Gone Green, Slow Jam, Hellbent, and We All Stand. Of course I knew none of those would be played. So with my expectations properly tempered, I thought it was a great show. The rain ending right before they came on seemed almost providential...

Edited by user 25 August 2013 15:53:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked stomp7 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/09/2013(UTC)