logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Linus Solanki  
#26 Posted : 31 July 2013 03:15:37(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1014 time(s) in 643 post(s)
http://www.examiner.com/...rriweather-post-pavilion

As the members of New Order strolled onstage at Merriweather Post Pavilion on Sunday night, lead singer Bernard Sumner casually announced "Hope you're going to enjoy the set. Here we go." With that, they calmly waltzed the audience into their show with the instrumental "Elegia." It was a brief moment of respite from what would become a New Order dance party.

After getting the crowd into the groove with "Crystal," New Order followed with a three-punch combo of their classics "Regret," "Ceremony" and "Age of Consent." If anyone remained seated during these songs it was either because they couldn't stand or they were completely dead inside.

Of course with New Order, a band that rose from the ashes of Joy Division, there was no way they could ignore their musical history. Sumner simply stated "Here's a song we wrote with Joy Division" when introducing "Isolation" and the crowd was happy for their personal music history lesson.

As for history, there was no mention of original bassist Peter Hook's absence, and new bassist Tom Chapman did a great job filling in those Hook-y bass lines. Drummer Stephen Morris proved you can create great dance beats playing a proper drum set and keyboardist Gillian Gilbert nonchalantly added those New Order synth hooks that are now and forever burned into our brains. Sumner sometimes flubbed a guitar lick and had to lower the vocal lines an octave every now and then, but, it turns out, he was performing with a bone fracture in his leg. I'm amazed he didn't scream bloody murder throughout the show.

When introducing "Bizarre Love Triangle," which will go down in history as one of the best and most influential songs of all time, Sumner seemed astounded by its appeal stating, "What is it about that song? I don't know. If I knew, I'd put it in every song we did." The audience was in no mood for examination and instead turned Merriweather Post Pavilion into a massive dance party, happily pogo-ing and dancing like Molly Ringwald as New Order continued with "True Faith," "5 8 6," "The Perfect Kiss," "Blue Monday" and "Temptation."

Ending the night with how their career began, Sumner asked, "Are there any Joy Division fans out there tonight?" and closed the show with three Joy Division songs. As pictures of Joy Division lead singer Ian Curtis flashed on the video screen, along with the message 'Forever Joy Division,' New Order closed out the show with "Atmosphere,""Shadowplay," and "Love Will Tear Us Apart." However, this was no memorial service but instead a musical celebration. When any band or artist's career is cut short, part of the loss is the idea of what that band could have become. There was no mourning here, because we know that that band became New Order.

SET LIST:

Elegia
Crystal
Regret
Ceremony
Age of Consent
Isolation
Here to Stay
Krafty
Your Silent Face
World
Bizarre Love Triangle
True Faith
5 8 6
The Perfect Kiss
Blue Monday
Temptation

ENCORE:
Atmosphere
Shadowplay
Love Will Tear Us Apart

I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 2 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 31/07/2013(UTC), DHLaw on 01/08/2013(UTC)
Who's Joe?  
#27 Posted : 31 July 2013 15:40:02(UTC)
Who's Joe?

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Three days removed from the show and I finally found time to sit down and write my reflections. There are so many things I could say -- this was my seventh show. The sound was perfect. The band was tight, but the only words that keep running through my head are "Thank you."

Thank you JG and DHLaw for great company and pre-show drinks! (thanks to my brother for coming and being my DD.)
Thank you to Holy Ghost! for yet another great set. They are a true treat live and I anxiously look forward to the new disc this September.
Thank you to New Order for another wonderful night! Great set and energy!

Thank you JG and Andy Robinson for making something happen I could never have dreamed up at the tender age of 15. Meeting your musical heroes 20 years after first discovering their music and becoming a fan was something for the ages. Meeting Stephen, Gillian, and Bernard was incredible. Sharing my story with Bernard, who was so very gracious with his time given the painful leg and shared a story of his own, was so special. Phil and Tom were fantastic as well -- getting to tell Phil how I first heard his music in Marion was fun and he was so nice! It was also great to meet Holy Ghost and Zac, great people and even better musicians!

I'll never forget this run of shows -- Oakland last fall, Philly with my wife and friends, and then Columbia. I wish I could do more but alas work and family do really come first for me now, but this band, this wonderful beautiful band will always be my favorite. Cheers to all! Enjoy the remaining shows and hopefully the wait for more won't be too long!

Edited by user 31 July 2013 15:41:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Who's Joe? for this useful post.
DHLaw on 01/08/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 02/08/2013(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio  
#28 Posted : 07 September 2013 02:53:16(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

Was thanked: 346 time(s) in 318 post(s)
Linus Solanki wrote:
http://www.examiner.com/review/concert-review-new-order-live-at-merriweather-post-pavilion

SET LIST:

Elegia
Crystal
Regret
Ceremony
Age of Consent
Isolation
Here to Stay
Krafty
Your Silent Face
World
Bizarre Love Triangle
True Faith
5 8 6
The Perfect Kiss
Blue Monday
Temptation

ENCORE:
Atmosphere
Shadowplay
Love Will Tear Us Apart

Same old shit Evil
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
thanks 1 user thanked Big Mouth Julio for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/09/2013(UTC)
loganfield  
#29 Posted : 22 November 2013 13:32:38(UTC)
loganfield

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Was there...one of their best shows ever in my book...

https://www.facebook.com...;type=1&l=8876e06444
thanks 1 user thanked loganfield for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/11/2013(UTC)
ZASmusic  
#30 Posted : 26 November 2013 08:08:22(UTC)
ZASmusic

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Who' Go to Quoted Post
Three days removed from the show and I finally found time to sit down and write my reflections. There are so many things I could say -- this was my seventh show. The sound was perfect. The band was tight, but the only words that keep running through my head are "Thank you."

Thank you JG and DHLaw for great company and pre-show drinks! (thanks to my brother for coming and being my DD.)
Thank you to Holy Ghost! for yet another great set. They are a true treat live and I anxiously look forward to the new disc this September.
Thank you to New Order for another wonderful night! Great set and energy!

Thank you JG and Andy Robinson for making something happen I could never have dreamed up at the tender age of 15. Meeting your musical heroes 20 years after first discovering their music and becoming a fan was something for the ages. Meeting Stephen, Gillian, and Bernard was incredible. Sharing my story with Bernard, who was so very gracious with his time given the painful leg and shared a story of his own, was so special. Phil and Tom were fantastic as well -- getting to tell Phil how I first heard his music in Marion was fun and he was so nice! It was also great to meet Holy Ghost and Zac, great people and even better musicians!

I'll never forget this run of shows -- Oakland last fall, Philly with my wife and friends, and then Columbia. I wish I could do more but alas work and family do really come first for me now, but this band, this wonderful beautiful band will always be my favorite. Cheers to all! Enjoy the remaining shows and hopefully the wait for more won't be too long!

Was great to meet you, and thanks so much for buying my record, appreciate the support! Hope you enjoyed it. We will see you at the next one!

Sorry this reply was so late.
thanks 1 user thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/11/2013(UTC)